Michael's Home

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

KnightCrusader99
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Michael's Home

Post by KnightCrusader99 » Wed Nov 19, 2003 1:30 am

This just popped into my head. Where did Michael sleep? Did he have an apartment, or maybe a room at the Foundation Mansion, or did Devon make him sleep in KITT? I was thinking of Halloween Knight and where Bonnie had a apartment and realized, "Where did Micheal live?"

Anyone know?I can't recall an episode where Michael went "home" (well except Knightmares, but he thought he was still Michael Long, and the apartment was gone).

I babble too much.....

Benjamin Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Benjamin Knight » Wed Nov 19, 2003 5:22 pm

There was a big thread on this a little while ago... I say he lived in the manison... But most think he has his own place. :D

ColeGrad01
Operative

Post by ColeGrad01 » Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:06 pm

I always wondered this myself. But I don't think he had his own place. He usually just stayed in hotels along the way on his missions. When the Foundation didn't need him, he'd be out doing his own things. The show never really did explain that. Maybe he would just pull over somewhere for the night and sleep in the car.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:43 pm

Actually, most don't think he has his own place.

Most likely, when Michael came in from missions, he probably stayed on the grounds, because of KITT.

The reason why Bonnie had her own apartment was to have her own space from the Foundation, after returning. This topic has been mulled over several times previously.

If you think about it logically, why bother having your own place? You never know when you are going to be there, it would be a waste to leave the utilities going and it would be even dumber to discontinue them while you are out, because you don't know when you are going to come back in. Most of Michael's life is spent out on the road, in motels, in KITT, so it wouldn't make much sense to have a separate place back home, to maintain. It would just make more sense to utilize the Foundation home base, as Devon did.

KI

Benjamin Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Benjamin Knight » Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:45 pm

Right-o KI, I said MK most likely lived in a guest suite in the masion, or in a guest house building on Foundation grounds. Your right, l o l, why borther with a house!?! Never really thought about the money wasted, but thats is totally true, I mean, weeeeeeeeeeee he would be home what 2 hours a month :roll:, then one of his MANY girlfriends comes over and they go out for coffee or something... :) Well he wouldn't need cable! l o l :lol:

Benjamin Knight
:spm:

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:28 am

I'm not sure we really know how many nights a month Michael spends on the road. And even when he's on a mission, a lot of times those assignments could have been within commuting distance from the Foundation. In any case, he still needs a place to put his clean socks.

I pictured him living in a guest house on the Foundation grounds. Definitely doesn't have to pay anything, but at least he could play that crazy rock-and-roll music without bothering Devon too much.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Benjamin Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Benjamin Knight » Thu Nov 20, 2003 1:07 am

Michael Pajaro wrote:I'm not sure we really know how many nights a month Michael spends on the road. And even when he's on a mission, a lot of times those assignments could have been within commuting distance from the Foundation. In any case, he still needs a place to put his clean socks.

I pictured him living in a guest house on the Foundation grounds. Definitely doesn't have to pay anything, but at least he could play that crazy rock-and-roll music without bothering Devon too much.
He would love to have that music loud! Now we know why Bonnie moved to an apartment! :roll: Here is a little story I wrote just now off the top of my head, its called "Devon and the Rock Music"

Devon's is relaxing in his office, then the housekeeper walks in, "Mr. Miles... I am getting calls... Mr. Knight has his music on to loud..."

Devon walks outside... KITT is happy because he blocked the sound out from his hearing.... Devon gets to the guest house, the music is really loud, then he sees MK dancing around on the deck doing fancy moves and pretending to play on his new electric guitar he just bought. Two chicks are in the hot tub and they are laughing like crazy. :lol: Devon beings to laugh too as Mmichaeldoes a jump and lands pperfectly all the time still pretending to play on his guitar

Devon goes to the controls for the sound system. There a little fancy and he is confused... He turns on double bass, and the " FLAG super volume enhancer " instead of turning the music off by mmistake The girls scream as MK falls back and his new guitar breaks in two as it went flying! Devon almost deaf from the music now, finds the right button and kills the music.

The girls are like "Who is that old geezer, Michael?"

"That's just Devon, and he just about killed me, I told you that system was TOO LOUD Devon!"

Just as the group of girls got out of the hot tub, KITT called over the commlink. MK got it off the table.

"Yes KITT..."

"Michael there is a mob of mad people out here, they have fire, there going to burn down the house for trying to kill them with the music!'

"Quick KITT, deploy tear gas launchers, full spread!"

"Its not working Michael!!"

"Give them 2000 particles per square inch..."

"Enhancing Spread..."

"They are unconcuss Michael!"

"Good come over and pick us up, were taking this party to Bonnie's place!"

"But Michael... Bonnie would never!" Devon cut in..

"Oh yes she would, who do you think bought me that music...."

KITT cuts in... "I did... Bonnie just did the shopping!"

Devon cracks a smile...

*Cuts to End Show Animation*

l o l so what do you think? That was just a joke, I can write much better then that silly tale! :D :lol:

Benjamin Knight
:spm:

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:44 am

Anyway...

As much as Michael loved working the foundation, I'm sure he didn't want to live it 24-7, and because of this he would need to have a place to get away. Not saying that didn't spend nights at the foundation, but I can't imagine him wanting to bring all his dates back to there and would want to live a more discrete live at times. As least that's my $.02

knightshade
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightshade » Thu Nov 20, 2003 10:51 am

I can go back and forth on this, but in general, I think he might like to have his own place away from the Foundation. I agree with Neil that I can't see him wanting to deal with the dispproving looks at all the dates he'd have coming and going. But I would think he would at least have a room or something at the Foundation for the convienence of it.

As far as it not making sense to own his own place, that's true to some degree. But one of my coworkers who travels about 9 months out of the year just bought a condo even though he's not home much. He didn't want to live with his parents anymore and it's good financially to own property. I could see the same thing for Michael. Although, I think it's highly unlikely that he would own a house (too much maintenance) and renting an apartment would be throwing money away, but a condo might be right up his alley.

I just think Michael would be the kind of guy who would want the freedom.

But this is one of those things that I think can be whatever you want it to be -- there isn't enough info for one side be right.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:13 pm

If he is residing in a guest house on the Foundation lot, how would he be getting disapproving looks, unless Devon is a sick perverted voyeur, or stalker who is in multiple places at once with his nose attached to Michael at all times? *shudders* The connotation of that is just downright wrong.

There are a few other things that support the concept of Michael residing on the Foundation property: KITT. KITT's garage. The fact that unlike Bonnie, there was never any inkling given to Michael's other residence, but he was at the Foundation when he was back at home base.

But I guess it is easier to go with whatever you want it to be, as it is with any debate. Honestly, Michael never had time to go anywhere, Devon wouldn't even let him have a vacation without it turning into a working one.

KI

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:24 pm

But then thats assuming that the Foundation had Guest House. ;) All we see is the main building. Michael and KITT aren't attached to the hip, I'm sure there are times they would go there seperate ways. Do you spend 24-7 with your friend? Sometimes you need a break.

I don't think its fair to Michael as a character to believe that he lived at the Foundation. He can have alot more depth than that. But since there is no proof either way, no episode where he is moving into an apartment, and the fact that this is a TV show without the normal paper trail of reality, there isn't

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:37 pm

That's not assuming that the Foundation had a Guest House, Neil. IT DID. (Diamond's Aren't A Girl's Best Friend.)

And KITT is more than a friend, it's a high class state of the art piece of machinery that was assigned to Michael.

It's unfair to Michael as a character to believe that he didn't live at the Foundation, it's basically characterizing him as a man who actually could get away from the job, when they made several references to him not doing so. This is a man who was sent all over the country to do cases, psychologically, his ideal vacation would be to stay home. But it never was, it was to go further out. That generally gets met with the whole concept that home was where the Foundation was, and he wanted to get away.

All the proof in the world could be presented, and there would still be an argument brought up to the opposite. So it is best to just let people think what they want to think.

KI

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:43 pm

Guest houses are very common in L.A. It's not unusual for a typical middle-class home to have a full guest house in the back. I know two people who live in guest houses and a third person who rents out a huest house on his property. There is no doubt in my mind that the Foundation would have plenty of places for Michael to stay. He also refers to FLAG as "family" and I still think of him as being the reincarnation of Wilton, so I think he does live on Foundation property.

As far as privacy goes, I don't imagine Devon peering in Michael's window, but The Foundation does have guard gates that might know when Michael came and went, and if any "visitors" were with him. That information could get back to Devon. (not that it would stop Michael.)

Michael may have had many interrupted vacations, but I still think he had plenty of time to lead a "normal" life. He was juggling a social calendar between "Rosalie" and "Rosalyn" in Trust Doesn't Rust for example. I doubt he only dated women from his missions.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:58 pm

I stand corrected on the Guest House. However, I still need to believe that Michael and KITT weren't together 24-7, and that Michael could stay somewhere without him. No one can stand being around someone without escape, and if they were unseperable, I think there dynamic wouldn't have been as fresh as it was, because the only way to enjoy someone is to know what it is like when they are gone. Without seperation, Michael wouldn't fully understand the value of KITT as a partner and a friend, and would most likely not appreciate KITT the way that he had. It doesn't matter if he is high class machinery, if we are thinking of KITT as simply as that, I'm sure someone assigned to a Stealth bomber doesn't take it home with him when his operation is over.

Often we see Michael on his way to a Vacation destination, when he is called back to work, so it is obvious that his favorite vacation would not be to stay at home, but to get away. His personailty is one of adventure, and would probably be bored with a stay at home vacation.

But we all believe what we wish to believe...
Last edited by neps on Thu Nov 20, 2003 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Benjamin Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Benjamin Knight » Thu Nov 20, 2003 5:01 pm

Okay, I thing you have all made good points, I am still on the side that are good friend MK lived in a guest house... Did anyone think me story was fun? Stupid? Repusive? Etc.?

ColeGrad01
Operative

Post by ColeGrad01 » Thu Nov 20, 2003 5:08 pm

I thought it was just an interesting idea you thought up. Take that as a compliment.

Benjamin Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Benjamin Knight » Thu Nov 20, 2003 5:31 pm

Thank-you... Its not so great :) I may just write another.... Someday.... I am to busy with all my real fanifc!

The Real Michael Knight
Operative
Location: Championing the cause of the innocent, the helpess, the powerless

Post by The Real Michael Knight » Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:36 pm

Well for one, I think its very logical for Michael to live at the foundation.

1. (and this is the most logical) Michael Knight is a man who does not exist. If he owns a home and has a line of credit, then he does exist. Which he isn't supposed to.

2. It would be more secure to have Michael and KITT stay at the foundation where everything is at their fingertips. Plus if Devon ever needed Michael and KITT for a mission ASAP, they'd be right there.

3. And if Michael really needed to get away, he could always run a tab for a hotel and have the bill sent to Devon. lmao

Anyway, thats my two pennies.
Last edited by The Real Michael Knight on Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:46 pm

The Real Michael Knight wrote:1. (and this is the most logical) Michael Knight is a man who does not exist. If he owns a home and has a line of credit, then he does exist. Which he isn't supposed to.
Ignore the opening credits. Michael Knight clearly DOES exist. The Foundation set him up with credit cards, a drivers license and an entirely new identity. They just didn't do too good a job creating a back history for him.

The Real Michael Knight
Operative

Post by The Real Michael Knight » Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:53 pm

Well the foundation could have given Michael an identity, but I think its just to cover Michael when he needs to flash the occasional ID. I don't know if the government has any record of a "Michael Knight". I mean think about it. The foundation gives Michael all kinds of ID's so he can carry out his missions. I think it would be much safer for Michael Knight to have that "You don't exist" status. I mean what if some bady guy wanted to come looking for Michael? If he had no true identity they couldn't find him because nobody but the foundation has any record of him.

MKnightRider82
Rookie

Post by MKnightRider82 » Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:08 pm

Bingo! You got it The Real Michael Knight.

As for the question of him having a home, I pretty much believe he just stayed around either at the Foundation or any hotel reservations they would put up for him. Why would they need to show him sleeping or settling down somewhere?

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:36 pm

I mentioned this a few months ago when we talked about where Michael lived, but I think some of you are thinking like wild, free-spirited college students. (nothing wrong with that.) The idea of living in hotels or just hanging out anywhere may sound fine or even exciting, but I think Michael Knight was old enough where he'd want a sense of home. Not just a single bedroom in a mansion. A place that was his. (even if someone else payed the bills.) He would need (and strongly WANT) a place to keep his clothes. His favorite books. A blanket made for him by someone special. Whatever. I think these things would be important to him.

And I'm afraid I still can't go along with the "man who does not exist" theory. Because Michael did nothing to hide his new identity. He would tell everybody - good guys and bad guys - who he was and who he worked for. That's not the kind of thing people do if they're trying not to exist.

Mike

The Real Michael Knight
Operative

Post by The Real Michael Knight » Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:39 pm

Then why say "who does not exist" in the intro?

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:02 pm

neps wrote:I stand corrected on the Guest House. However, I still need to believe that Michael and KITT weren't together 24-7, and that Michael could stay somewhere without him.
I think that is the general idea behind your entire statment, you have an emotional need to think that way.
No one can stand being around someone without escape, and if they were unseperable, I think there dynamic wouldn't have been as fresh as it was, because the only way to enjoy someone is to know what it is like when they are gone. Without seperation, Michael wouldn't fully understand the value of KITT as a partner and a friend, and would most likely not appreciate KITT the way that he had. It doesn't matter if he is high class machinery, if we are thinking of KITT as simply as that, I'm sure someone assigned to a Stealth bomber doesn't take it home with him when his operation is over.
No, but he does stay on base with his stealth bomber. Just ask the guys at Holloman Air Force Base, New Mexico where the stealths are stored. They still stay on base.

And nobody is saying that Michael was sitting on top of KITT or sleeping within him, he was just nearby, just as a stealth bomber pilot does. They have their own places, ON base. No active stealth pilot is allowed to stay off base. Thanks for that analogy, Neil, it supports Michael staying on Foundation grounds. :)

KI

ColeGrad01
Operative

Post by ColeGrad01 » Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:15 pm

He doesn't exist because he is not the man that was created by God- Michael Arthur Long.

He is a private investigator with a new face and going by a name there are no kept records of. Only the private agency who set him up knows exactly who he is. Everyone else, he is just some guy they never heard of and cannot do anything to trace.