new kr-sampled song to hit charts

Archive for discussions from 2002. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

knightrider_ni
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by knightrider_ni » Tue Oct 29, 2002 1:29 pm

i was listening to the rnb/hip-hop show with the "dream team" on bbc radio one on sunday morning and i thought i heard the immortal words "knight rider" mentioned by the DJ (DJ Spoony from the other week's fear factor on sky one). knowing myself as i do [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] i figured i had imagined it as he started to talk about some foreign act and their new song.

a few minutes later (after the new UK act "big brother" mentioned something about a busta rhymes song from a few years ago being one of their faves - in hindsight it was the "fire it up" song which used the kr theme) this song came on. it had what sounded first of all indian then actually i thought it was more arabic! yes, i know, somewhat of a difference but i was just awake after a night on the tiles :P

i recognised the beat used, but couldn't place it... it was kr! as the song progressed, the rest of the theme music came in and i appropriately enogh "whooped" - lol! it was brilliant! excellently sampled and remixed into this foreign-sounding song, with the whole tune clearly coming through at certain points with appropriately "flavoured" beats etc mixed in to go with the country of origin. and then during the other parts of the song the knight rider background beats were remixed and sampled. it was absolutely fantastic sounding!!

of course, i have NO idea what they were singing about but hey that never stopped anyone enjoying la bamba back in the 80s [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] i hope it gets released for the charts as it's the best kr-"song" i;ve yet heard by miles!!! (and y'all know how much i loved the busta one [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img])

anyone know anything more about this?

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant

Post by K.I.T.T » Tue Oct 29, 2002 1:35 pm

Oh man!! I used to listen to Radio 1 all the time!
Dream Team are not my fav DJ's but this tune sounds cool!!
Has anyone else played it since the weekend??
Have you looked also on any Music programs to see if its there...probably not but worth a shot?

K.I.T.T

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Tue Oct 29, 2002 3:24 pm

I didn't like the Busta one too much. thought what they did with the theme tune was way too heavy and injecting drums in it really let it down. but worst of all was Busta just saying "FIRE IT UP"...what a dumb song, i thought. yes, of course i have it, but only cos its KR.

Skav

Newcastle knight
Operative

Post by Newcastle knight » Tue Oct 29, 2002 3:31 pm

i heard the new song a couple of weeks ago on Radio 1 aswell.

they were havin an bangara (not sure on spelling) night or something, like a tribute to indian music and that started it off.

i thought it was different, different but cool. ive already downloaded it, coz its got the kr tune in i had too, lol.

scott

[ October 29, 2002: Message edited by: Newcastle knight ]

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Oct 29, 2002 7:06 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by knightrider_ni:
<STRONG>i was listening to the rnb/hip-hop show with the "dream team" on bbc radio one on sunday morning and i thought i heard the immortal words "knight rider" mentioned by the DJ (DJ Spoony from the other week's fear factor on sky one). knowing myself as i do [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] i figured i had imagined it as he started to talk about some foreign act and their new song.

a few minutes later (after the new UK act "big brother" mentioned something about a busta rhymes song from a few years ago being one of their faves - in hindsight it was the "fire it up" song which used the kr theme) this song came on. it had what sounded first of all indian then actually i thought it was more arabic! yes, i know, somewhat of a difference but i was just awake after a night on the tiles :P

i recognised the beat used, but couldn't place it... it was kr! as the song progressed, the rest of the theme music came in and i appropriately enogh "whooped" - lol! it was brilliant! excellently sampled and remixed into this foreign-sounding song, with the whole tune clearly coming through at certain points with appropriately "flavoured" beats etc mixed in to go with the country of origin. and then during the other parts of the song the knight rider background beats were remixed and sampled. it was absolutely fantastic sounding!!

of course, i have NO idea what they were singing about but hey that never stopped anyone enjoying la bamba back in the 80s [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] i hope it gets released for the charts as it's the best kr-"song" i;ve yet heard by miles!!! (and y'all know how much i loved the busta one [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img])

anyone know anything more about this?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If it is the one that I am thinking about, it has been around for at least a year. And if it is the one I am thinking about, it is highly irritating to some people's nerves. It might be the Knight Rider Bangra (sp?) or something like that. (Skav, I will tell you since now, if you didn't like Busta, this one will most likely drive you absolutely insane. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img] )

And here is something I would like you to get your facts straight on. "La Bamba" has been around since the 50's. After all, the movie in which the song was re-released for was based on the life of Richie Valens. It is an old folk song. And yeah, most people who don't know Spanish don't know what it means. It has a good beat.

knightimmortal

Darknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Darknight » Tue Oct 29, 2002 7:06 pm

I like Busta's versions - both of them(the other one featured Timbaland and Magoo). If you like hip hop, you'd like them. If not, you probably wouldn't. This one sounds interesting. The KR theme is a lot of fun to play around with. I'll admit that I do it myself.

Darknight

Zarate
Volunteer

Post by Zarate » Tue Oct 29, 2002 10:46 pm

Actually that song is really really old. Like 2 years at least. I remeber downloading it on NAPSTER! Now that gives you an idea of how old that song really is.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Tue Oct 29, 2002 11:02 pm

ah, yeah i remember the bangara. isn't that the one where you would hear the beat of the theme tune mostly? most of the kr theme is blocked out because of the indian guy's voice. i think i'd prefer busta!!!! lol.

Skav

Smoothy
Rookie

Post by Smoothy » Wed Oct 30, 2002 9:26 am

You know, it kinda rings a bell from my Bradford Uni days...

Does anyone have a link to an .mp3 file that I can download and listen? If not, cool.

Knight2000
FLAG Recruit

Post by Knight2000 » Wed Oct 30, 2002 10:17 am

I went to an Indian wedding once and then went to the party afterwards. It was so wierd listening to an indian version of KR. It was the same as busta rhymes but with different lyrics. And the bass was boosted. Real high. Later I found out that recent Indian music is English music (pop) but with the lyrics replaced with Indian ones and they sing about something else. I've even heard an Indian song that has the Macerena as its tune.

knightrider_ni
Operative

Post by knightrider_ni » Sat Nov 09, 2002 6:04 am

( the DJ said it was due for **release** soon - oh well )

Newcastle Knight, do you have the name of it and the name of the artist? it would help me no end in tracking it down.

Knightimmortal, yes i know La Bamba is an old 50s song, but it was rereleased in the 80s and was a massive hit as you know, thanks to the movie of the same name. not sure if it was a new version or not, but still, like i said, not knowing what it was about didn't stop it becoming an 80s hit [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img] (though i've heard it's something about some guy's dad being a goat herder... lol! [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] )

Darknight, do you know where i could get a hold of the Fire It Up song with Magoo and Timbaland on it? they're cool and knowing they've sung on the kr song is too good to miss!!! [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] i've had a bad enough time trying to track down the full original version of busta's song and not the one he changed most of the lyrics to to make the "clean" radio version. "turbo boost like there's no ceiling in the roof" just doens't cut it when you know the original lyrics [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] lol! loved his song, what he did with the tune was cool but nothing compared to this indian one [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] they've done a cracker job with it [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[ November 09, 2002: Message edited by: knightrider_ni ]

Newcastle knight
Operative

Post by Newcastle knight » Sat Nov 09, 2002 9:17 am

I found it under this name:

Bhangra punjabi MC - knight rider remix

and i got it using WinMx

scott

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sat Nov 09, 2002 10:42 am

"what he did with the tune was cool but nothing compared to this indian one they've done a cracker job with it" - Phil, you are joking, right? lol! It's ****e.

And my worst knightmares loomed up on me yesterday when the bhangara tune came on in a club i went to last night. ARRRGGHHHHH.

Skav

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sat Nov 09, 2002 2:12 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by knightrider_ni:
<STRONG>( the DJ said it was due for **release** soon - oh well )

Knightimmortal, yes i know La Bamba is an old 50s song, but it was rereleased in the 80s and was a massive hit as you know, thanks to the movie of the same name. not sure if it was a new version or not, but still, like i said, not knowing what it was about didn't stop it becoming an 80s hit [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img] (though i've heard it's something about some guy's dad being a goat herder... lol! [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] )

</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some of these tunes were actually released in mp3 first because they were just remixes, or were released in other countries. (I know, mp3...robbing the industry...I know, I know, I know.)

And Phil, before you make funny about a song, at least know about it a little bit more. As a Hispanic from a little community, it's a little insulting to have one of our time honored folk songs made fun of like that. It;s a standard folk dance. The one from the 80's sure as hell wasn't the original. The original was done by a rock legend named Richie Valens who died in a horrible plane crash that took the life of Buddy Holly as well. I am not disputing that people didn't understand it, and it got great attention. I am just a little personally insulted by your casual treatment of the song without knowing a little more about it first, nor it's much larger and extremely tragic history. What made it such a huge success was the man's death. Before that, it only had moderate success.

knightimmortal

[ November 09, 2002: Message edited by: knightimmortal ]

knightrider_ni
Operative

Post by knightrider_ni » Sat Nov 16, 2002 6:14 am

cheers newcastle knight [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] gonna hunt for it in the shops [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

skav, it's all down to personal opinion, but please do not attack my tastes in music, as they are very dear to me as i'm sure your's are to you. that's how we fell out before because we started firing back and forward at each other's tastes (and it think james bond was part of it too.. hehe... silly arguments, eh? [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] glad they're behind us mate, and i WILL reply to your email soon, promise, so little time on here it's driving me mad!!)

laura, i was not making fun of you or people like you, nor did i ever mention anything about the tragic history of the song which i feel was a little unfair in bringing up as my comment made no unjust remark about anybody's tragic death and NEVER would i make fun of something like that, so i feel a little insulted in return. i was talking about the song itself (and indeed the 80s remake) and that was all.

as far as my comment about the song itself, i only went by what i know and made that clear, i didn't make fun of anyone's culture, it's just that when you look back on the 80's remake and the fact that it spawned this whole dance routine and everything i think it is funny that back in the 80s everyone thought it was a song about love and about the movie plot and about the dance routine, kinda like a macerena or something. i thought it was funny people could be niave enough back then (and i was one of them, i will admit) to think that was what it was about when actually it had a much deeper meaning etc. i think it showed the shallowness of the hollywood movie and music industries of the eighties when you think about it.

any miscommunication or misunderstandings resulting from my post i send apologies for, they were unintended. (and i WILL reply to your email too, you WILL hear from me again [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img] the sooner this library gets more computers the better - one for the entire town!! [img]images/smiles/icon_confused.gif[/img] )

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sat Nov 16, 2002 1:30 pm

It spawned a dance trend?

The dance trend for that song has been around since the 1800's.

You can get all uptight about the presentation history of the song, but the pure fact is, when you speak about a song, at least know the history behind it. The 80's remake only served to make the original song even more popular, which it already was. Even drawing a parallel to La Bamba from this rehashed mix of KR...an insult to the song and it's history. You keep making it sound like the 80's remake was the song's heyday. It wasn't.

knightimmortal

Smoothy
Rookie

Post by Smoothy » Sat Nov 16, 2002 5:37 pm

Okaaaaaaaaaayy... clearly knightrider_ni wasn't being malicious in regards to the labamba song, reread his original post. He only picked one time when he could remember people enjoying it (the 80s, which is when I remember the song also) cos it was when Hollywood brought it to the masses (even if it was popular before then). And that's it. Anyway, back to the main topic...

Yeah, shows how people still remember Knight Rider, what with Busta using the sample as well as So Solid in their music. Clearly when these influential artists were young, they were watching what we all were. And that can only be a good thing.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sat Nov 16, 2002 5:56 pm

I wasn't saying that knightrider_ni was being malicious. I was just saying that people need to know the history of the item they are comparing things with before they do the comparison with it.

Anything else you would like to try to spank me on?

knightimmortal

[ November 16, 2002: Message edited by: knightimmortal ]

Smoothy
Rookie

Post by Smoothy » Sun Nov 17, 2002 11:36 am

Nah, no need. Just was trying to get it back on topic, especially as it was a very innoculous comment in the beginning

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sun Nov 17, 2002 2:08 pm

Let me worry about on topic and off topic, please?

knightimmortal

Dana Knight
Volunteer

Post by Dana Knight » Sun Nov 17, 2002 7:02 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Knight2000:
<STRONG>I went to an Indian wedding once and then went to the party afterwards. It was so wierd listening to an indian version of KR. It was the same as busta rhymes but with different lyrics. And the bass was boosted. Real high. Later I found out that recent Indian music is English music (pop) but with the lyrics replaced with Indian ones and they sing about something else. I've even heard an Indian song that has the Macerena as its tune.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm half Indian but I haven't heard much Indian music in my time. My mate is Ruth is Indian I'll have to ask here about that Indian Version of KR, I would say she more of a fan of Knight Rider than me. I wonder if she has heard it? She was born in New Zealand and she hasn't really kept up with her Indian roots.

By the way I liked Busta Rhymes song "Fire It Up" New Zealand is into their R&B.

Ms Garthe Knight [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]