knight rider video's and Dvds

Archive for discussions from 2002. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Grahame Stenning
Stranger
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Grahame Stenning » Sat Nov 02, 2002 6:30 pm

I want to know if they are going to bring more videos or dvds of knight rider

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sat Nov 02, 2002 6:39 pm

Unknown at this present time.

knightimmortal

DaveHarries
Volunteer

Post by DaveHarries » Sat Nov 02, 2002 6:42 pm

To anyone that can answer this.. about the DVDs, how comes they are sticking 3 episodes from series 1 on volume 1, then jumping to series 4 for volume 2, then back to series 1 for volume 3.. wouldnt it make sense to release the series on DVD in order? I never understood this. Also are the DVDs worth getting? Im a big fan and im still deciding whether I should order them.

thanx!

Dave

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sat Nov 02, 2002 6:52 pm

Basically, nobody has ever really figured out why Universal Playback did what it did with the episodes. I am guessing that they thought they were the most popular or something. It never really did make much sense.

The DVD's, from what I have seen (we here in America have to jump through many hoops to get to see them) are very high quality, and worth it from the standpoint of seeing the episodes in crystal clarity, and uncut. The menus are pretty cool. But there really aren't any extra features. So, if you are buying it for the features, there really aren't any. If you are buying it to get the episodes crystal clear, and uncut, then they are worth the money.

knightimmortal

DaveHarries
Volunteer

Post by DaveHarries » Sat Nov 02, 2002 6:56 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by knightimmortal:
<STRONG>Basically, nobody has ever really figured out why Universal Playback did what it did with the episodes. I am guessing that they thought they were the most popular or something. It never really did make much sense.

The DVD's, from what I have seen (we here in America have to jump through many hoops to get to see them) are very high quality, and worth it from the standpoint of seeing the episodes in crystal clarity, and uncut. The menus are pretty cool. But there really aren't any extra features. So, if you are buying it for the features, there really aren't any. If you are buying it to get the episodes crystal clear, and uncut, then they are worth the money.

knightimmortal</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanx for the info. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sat Nov 02, 2002 7:14 pm

I don't have specific information about Knight Rider, but the TV geek in me thinks this is pretty interesting:

When a new series comes to TV today, a team of lawyers hammers out all the contracts defining exactly who has rights to what: domestic syndication. International syndication. Pay-per-view. Home video. Internet Streaming... the works. So when a new show goes to DVD, all the legal details are in place.

Back in 1982, most people didn't even a VHS recorder so the idea of having a home video library of TV shows was virtually unheard of. So now, many cable and home video companies have to put in a lot of work to secure the rights to release a show. Many times they have to do it on an episode-per-episode basis. A big killer is the music: Suppose George Jefferson walks into a Disco and they're playing "I Will Survive". (you guys do know who George Jefferson is, right? You do know what a disco is, right? [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img] ) The record label might have sold CBS the rights to broadcast that song, but not the rights to sell it. But having it on a videotape or DVD would be a form of selling the song. So a company like Columbia House has to get the rights from both CBS for the show AND Gloria Gayner for the song. You can have the same complications with Guest Stars. Episodes may simply be released in the order that they are able to secure the rights.

I have no idea if any of this is happening with Knight Rider, but that's the kind of thing that is happening with other shows.

Mike

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sat Nov 02, 2002 7:25 pm

That's a very good point, and in addition, the montage songs in Knight Rider could also be a bit of a hangup.

You might be right.

(Don't drop dead, Mike, you know the odds, I can't disagree with you all the time [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] )

knightimmortal

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Sun Nov 03, 2002 4:04 am

Oh, the montage songs can be a serious hang-up. Sting, George Micheal, Fleetwood Mac etc are still capable of getting royalties out of playing their songs. Considering how frequent the montages were, it would take alot of time just to clear up season 1!

Sarfraz

Garth Knight
Recruit

Post by Garth Knight » Sun Nov 03, 2002 10:42 pm

Has anyone heard of this website?
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/

It's easy to register. I'm gonna check on KR's position. I'd be cool if they would release KR an entire season at a time like they do for Star Trek : The Next Generation.

knightman
Operative

Post by knightman » Tue Nov 05, 2002 1:14 am

im getting a dvd that plays multizone, any one know what that means, does it mean i can buy US dvd??
thanks

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Nov 05, 2002 2:04 am

To help control bootleg copies of movies around the world (and make things difficult for us consumers), part of the DVD format includes Region Codes written on to the disc that only allows the disc to be played in certain parts of the world.

The United States is Region 1, so you need a DVD player that accepts Region 1 discs. A "multi-region player" might only handle regions 2 and 3 or something like that, so be careful.

Region 1 - 1: U.S., Canada, U.S. Territories
Region 2 - Japan, Europe, South Africa, and Middle East (including Egypt)
Region 3 - Southeast Asia and East Asia (including Hong Kong)
Region 4 - Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands, Central America, Mexico, South America, and the Caribbean
Region 5 - 5: Eastern Europe (Former Soviet Union), Indian subcontinent, Africa, North Korea, and Mongolia
Region 6 - Peoples Republic of China

There is also a Region 0 for universal DVDs and Regions 7-8 for special interests.

knightrider_ni
Operative

Post by knightrider_ni » Tue Nov 05, 2002 11:37 am

i can't remember where i read it, but shows like knight rider, a-team and airwolf, when they used music like that (knight rider used the most by far) it was always a cover version and not the original song. quantum leap used originals and this was a major hiccup when it came to thinking about releasing it on VHS in the nineties. however, in a magazine article about the QL problem i remember reading something along the lines of "...whereas early 80s shows such as knight rider and airwolf can easily get around this problem as the cover versions they made themselves are copyright of the production company and/or distributor of the show..." (not a direct quote but as close as i remember.)

the UK dvds of knight rider... i have only bought the first volume and have no intention of being conned into the other two. i say "conned" because those episodes (apart from the terrible knight sting) have all been released on the VHS releases - some of them TWICE already **before** the DVDs!! i know the quality is a bit better (but don't expect the quality of DVD movies, UP haven't exactly spent a lot of money of these) but really, i'm not going to give UP more money for episodes they've already sold me.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Nov 05, 2002 1:15 pm

Only one problem: the cover versions still need the same licensing, because it is not just the singer that has to get clearance, but the lyrics. So it still would register with the same problem. Using cover songs as a safety point is an illusion It doesn't work that way, because the song is not generally licensed exclusively to the singer.

And Knight Rider still managed to use a lot of original songs.

knightimmortal

toffa
Volunteer

Post by toffa » Thu Nov 07, 2002 11:09 am

The legal questions can be the only explaination for the strange release order of the tapes in the UK. Is there any way at all that we can find out about the realease dates of more episodes? Universal-playback seem to be the most uncooperative company I have ever seen reagrding the release of information. For UK viewers BLACKSTAR.CO.UK have always had deatils of releases of KR before playback did. As for the quality of the DVD's, I've bought all three of them and the extras stink.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Fri Nov 08, 2002 12:07 am

For £12.99 what do you want? Your hardly gonna get a audio commentary or outtakes for that price.

Skav

toffa
Volunteer

Post by toffa » Fri Nov 08, 2002 10:33 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Skav:
<STRONG>For £12.99 what do you want? Your hardly gonna get a audio commentary or outtakes for that price.

Skav</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Surely some outakes, or some kind of backstory relating to the episodes featured wouldn't be too much trouble

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Fri Nov 08, 2002 7:44 pm

Actually, to get the clearances for such things, more would have to be paid out, and the price would be much higher.

knightimmortal

knightrider_ni
Operative

Post by knightrider_ni » Sat Nov 09, 2002 5:21 am

most of the episodes released do have musical monologues in them, we even have a kim wilde video! [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] (yey on behalf of UK fans everywhere... maybe [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] lol!) it may have something to do with licensing yeh, that sounds like a good explanation, but i'm doubting that the songs are the major gripe with U.P.'s releases. having the cover versions won't take away all copyright from the original owner of the song, no, but it would make it easier. wish i'd kept that magazine article now lol!

i remember when itv showed knight rider in the 90's, and channel five did also, and both of them didn't show season four. now i figured that maybe season four was more expensive to buy, or they could only afford three seasons, but UP has released more S4 episodes than any other, making me think that it is maybe easier/cheaper to purchase - so now i'm confused!! scent of roses has not been released because the first two parts of that story from the other seasons haven't been, so that could at least explain that episode.

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant

Post by K.I.T.T » Sat Nov 09, 2002 11:35 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by knightrider_ni:
<STRONG>
i remember when itv showed knight rider in the 90's, and channel five did also, and both of them didn't show season four. </STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ITV did show S4..i still have today a showing on central of Sky Knight.

K.I.T.T

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sat Nov 09, 2002 2:26 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by knightrider_ni:
<STRONG>most of the episodes released do have musical monologues in them, we even have a kim wilde video! [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] (yey on behalf of UK fans everywhere... maybe [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] lol!) it may have something to do with licensing yeh, that sounds like a good explanation, but i'm doubting that the songs are the major gripe with U.P.'s releases. having the cover versions won't take away all copyright from the original owner of the song, no, but it would make it easier. wish i'd kept that magazine article now lol!

i remember when itv showed knight rider in the 90's, and channel five did also, and both of them didn't show season four. now i figured that maybe season four was more expensive to buy, or they could only afford three seasons, but UP has released more S4 episodes than any other, making me think that it is maybe easier/cheaper to purchase - so now i'm confused!! scent of roses has not been released because the first two parts of that story from the other seasons haven't been, so that could at least explain that episode.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, they do have them, meaning that they got clearances on them, which also helps to explain why S4 has been released so much. Look at the music list: they don't have that many songs in them. And Scent of Roses has a song in it that is especially hard to obtain the rights for, because it is a Carpenter's song, written in part by the late Karen Carpenter. Whitebird has 'Whitebird' that has to be cleared. "Let It Be Me" has a whole slew of songs that have to be cleared, which is one extreme possibility that the Stevie Trilogy hasn't been released. I hate to say it, but the more I think about it, the more Mike's explanation makes a LOT of sense, more than any other. Cover songs don't help, no matter what. Lack of songs, or easier to obtain songs seem to have done so.

knightimmortal

knightrider_ni
Operative

Post by knightrider_ni » Sat Nov 16, 2002 6:28 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by K.I.T.T:
<STRONG>

ITV did show S4..i still have today a showing on central of Sky Knight.

K.I.T.T</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

from the 90s? itv showed seasons one to three (in awful order) and never went on to season four for the mid 1990's saturday afternoon reruns. they brought back a few episodes that they had to cut and just held back until they could be bothered to do so and so we got a mess of s1-s3 episodes for about another three months but no s4 appeared. in the 1980s yes, it was shown, but not by itv or c5 in the 1990s. bravo even made big news about this on their forum when they started showing it, since fans hadn't seen those eps since the 80s and even then not all of s4 apparently - though i was too young to remember exactly what was shown in the 80s and what wasn't.

now there could be a reason why central would've shown s4 and the other regions didn't but i don;t know what it could be as it was bought by itv itself and sent off to its various regions and s4 never appeared in northern ireland, scotland, wales and up until now anyone i know in certain parts of england have said the same thing about the 90s repeats. doesn't really matter i guess, since bravo has them now... so i could stop waffling at last [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sat Nov 16, 2002 9:38 am

Oh, re: Multiregion players, I wouldn't jump to start modifying your player soon. I've got mine modified and have made a horrifying discovery. Movie companies have now made some sort of control over these modifications so that when you buy a imported disc, it still won't play on your player even if it's been "chipped". This new thing is called RCE...Region Code Enhancement.

I've just bought the 'Spiderman' R1 dvd and when i put the disc in the player, my heart was in my mouth when it wouldn't let me past this warning screen that never went off.

Fortunately, there are remote "hacks" you can do to bypass the RCE and it worked for me although getting the extras is a pain...and photo galleries is defo out of the window.

Luckily, only Columbia and Warner have undertaken this new process. It's just a new way to turn people off importing discs...which I think is stupid since they're the ones that will prevent themselves from getting even more money on it.

All I'm saying is, be careful. And if you want to import a Warner or Columbia Tri Star disc, check to see if it's RCE first.

Skav

K.I.F.T.
Volunteer

Post by K.I.F.T. » Sat Nov 16, 2002 9:16 pm

Most new dvd players will be able to play the RCE disks (even cheap dvd players) personally I think it's stupid to have regions with DVDs...

many American versions of DVDs are of a much higher quality than British versions (transformers the movie for example) there is no valid reasone to have regions.

airwolf316
Stranger

Post by airwolf316 » Sun Nov 17, 2002 7:01 pm

Have they discontinued KR at UP? Normally KR DVD's come out at the same time as Airwolf and A-team. Airwolf and A-team have already released DVD 4. I am still checking blackstar hopefully we will see it soon!!!

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant

Post by K.I.T.T » Mon Nov 18, 2002 12:32 am

<STRONG>

doesn't really matter i guess, since bravo has them now... [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes and are due to show the rest of season 4 up intill xmas....looking forward to it too...just got to make sure i set my video this time! [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

K.I.T.T