Why couldn`t they just reprogramme KARR?

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

KARR 2000
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Why couldn`t they just reprogramme KARR?

Post by KARR 2000 » Thu Oct 09, 2003 6:43 am

So do you know the answer? :karr:
So...... I have no idea what to write here.

Dome
Rookie

Re: Why couldn`t they just reprogramme KARR?

Post by Dome » Thu Oct 09, 2003 7:37 am

KARR 2000 wrote:So do you know the answer? :karr:
yes I know it!

Because it was written in the script :D :D :D

Jake
Recruit

Post by Jake » Thu Oct 09, 2003 8:10 am

That´s a very good question, KARR 2000. It´s hard to say why they couldn´t reprogram K.A.R.R. I think it can be because of the ancient computers (according to 21st century´s standards) they might have had in the F.L.A.G that you can add the programs in the unit but you can´t change the programs you previously made. I don´t know if the so called ancient computers had have that kind of problem in the real life but I suppose that might have been possible.

Dome
Rookie

Post by Dome » Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:03 am

Jake wrote:That´s a very good question, KARR 2000. It´s hard to say why they couldn´t reprogram K.A.R.R. I think it can be because of the ancient computers (according to 21st century´s standards) they might have had in the F.L.A.G that you can add the programs in the unit but you can´t change the programs you previously made. I don´t know if the so called ancient computers had have that kind of problem in the real life but I suppose that might have been possible.
KITT was often reprogrammed, so it should be also possible with KARR-

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:10 am

We've actually just had this converation recently (slaps broken record)

The general concenus was that KARR was a prototype, and it is quite possible that more than just his programming was wrong. It's much better for them to start from scratch, to learn from their mistakes in more areas than KARRs program.

Perhaps reading this thread will help:

http://bb.knightrideronline.com/viewtopic.php?t=2677

Dome
Rookie

Post by Dome » Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:17 am

well don't take things in KR too serious. There are lot of things which do not make sence.

for eg.: when KARR whent wrong, why did they built a brand new car? instead of replace KARR's CPU with KITT's.

Or this is a bettter "mistake"

They built KITT into Michaels former original Pontica 82 TransAm. Why is it possible that KARR, who was built before KITT looks exactly the same?
Well there are lot's of questions in this serie. but if you care too match on them, it is possible that you loose your interesset in Knight Rider.

Jake
Recruit

Post by Jake » Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:25 am

Dome wrote:
Jake wrote:That´s a very good question, KARR 2000. It´s hard to say why they couldn´t reprogram K.A.R.R. I think it can be because of the ancient computers (according to 21st century´s standards) they might have had in the F.L.A.G that you can add the programs in the unit but you can´t change the programs you previously made. I don´t know if the so called ancient computers had have that kind of problem in the real life but I suppose that might have been possible.
Good point, Dome! My thought was that can the programs already set in the K.I.T.T or K.A.R.R be changed. However, I had noticed that Bonnie or April had reprogrammed K.I.T.T but my question was that did they set some new program to K.I.T.T to replace the previous one or could they change the program that´s already there? I don´t know. I hope this following example will make my thoughts more understandable. Let´s say our example is the Surveillance Mode. As we know, Bonnie or other technician had set that program in the first place into K.I.T.T´s systems. Soon they develop the improved version of the Surveillance Mode. According to my theory, they remove the original Surveillance Mode program and replace it with the updated version. So in this case I just explained, according to my logic, they didn´t change the original program (didn´t reprogram). They just replaced the program with new one. I think the concept of reprogramming means that you change the program. I hope it´s more clearer to you now what I´m thinking.

Dome
Rookie

Post by Dome » Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:37 am

Jake wrote:
Dome wrote:
Good point, Dome! My thought was that can the programs already set in the K.I.T.T or K.A.R.R be changed. However, I had noticed that Bonnie or April had reprogrammed K.I.T.T but my question was that did they set some new program to K.I.T.T to replace the previous one or could they change the program that´s already there? I don´t know. I hope this following example will make my thoughts more understandable. Let´s say our example is the Surveillance Mode. As we know, Bonnie or other technician had set that program in the first place into K.I.T.T´s systems. Soon they develop the improved version of the Surveillance Mode. According to my theory, they remove the original Surveillance Mode program and replace it with the updated version. So in this case I just explained, according to my logic, they didn´t change the original program (didn´t reprogram). They just replaced the program with new one. I think the concept of reprogramming means that you change the program. I hope it´s more clearer to you now what I´m thinking.
oh yes it is. It's sometimes not so easy for me to understand all the things wright, because English is just a foreign language for me. well you are Finish, so I think you can see my problem

Dome
Rookie

Post by Dome » Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:54 am

well. it is nearly 4 o'clock p.m. time to leave working office. (hehe I know, most of you are just going to start work. so have a nice day (all Americans ) and have a nice evenig (all Europeen people). A nice whatever (to all others) :kittspin:

Jake
Recruit

Post by Jake » Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:56 am

Dome wrote:
Jake wrote:
Dome wrote: KITT was often reprogrammed, so it should be also possible with KARR-
oh yes it is. It's sometimes not so easy for me to understand all the things wright, because English is just a foreign language for me. well you are Finish, so I think you can see my problem
I can see your problem very well, Dome. It´s surely harder to understand all things right in the first time if you´re operating with the language that´s foreign to you. Don´t worry, your English will improve. I´m sure of that. I´m not saying your English is bad, all I am saying is that it will improve. The discussion forums like this Knight Rider Online are good for learning languages. I think it´s a blessing to have the forums like these. Well, this was a little off-topic but I hope it´s all right.

Dumbledore
Rookie

Post by Dumbledore » Thu Oct 09, 2003 6:35 pm

wilton knight ordered KARR to be dismanteled

so...they all thoght that there was no KARR anymore

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Thu Oct 09, 2003 7:58 pm

karr would not let them replace him with another cpu.

Dome
Rookie

Post by Dome » Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:21 am

I´m not saying your English is bad,
OK now I hate you :D :lol:

no no just a joke.

well I think my English is good enough for normal conversations.
But here are some special expressions which are very hard.

and another bad point of mine is the past tence. When should I use which form, etc.

Jake
Recruit

Post by Jake » Fri Oct 10, 2003 7:47 am

Dome wrote:

no no just a joke.
Good joke, Dome! It´s good that there are some people here who are able to share some good jokes!

Dome
Rookie

Post by Dome » Fri Oct 10, 2003 8:16 am

Jake wrote:
Dome wrote:

no no just a joke.
Good joke, Dome! It´s good that there are some people here who are able to share some good jokes!
thx, but is this with a negative or positive meaning

Jake
Recruit

Post by Jake » Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:13 am

Dome wrote:
Jake wrote:
Dome wrote: thx, but is this with a negative or positive meaning
This is strictly with the positive meaning, Dome!

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Oct 10, 2003 10:15 am

Dumbledore wrote:wilton knight ordered KARR to be dismanteled
In the strictest sense, Devon only THOUGHT Wilton had KITT dismantled. We don't know why that didn't happen. Wilton may have given the order and it just never got done because of the chaos going on in the Foundation at the time, or Wilton may have never ordered it in the first place.

Mike
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Dome
Rookie

Post by Dome » Fri Oct 10, 2003 10:32 am

Jake wrote:
Dome wrote:
Jake wrote: This is strictly with the positive meaning, Dome!
:oops: :roll: :) :D

Ghost-Unmade
Rookie

Post by Ghost-Unmade » Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:40 am

It could be (and this is just a theory) that tension between Devon and Wilton Knight led to KARR's survival.

Bear with me here. We've heard several times that Wilton was the main impetus behind KARR's construction, (like from KARR's own voicebox for starters; "I was created by Wilton Knight...."). And yet in Trust Doesn't Rust Devon specifically said "I began work on a safer car" refering to KITT.

It could be that Wilton, after working so hard and putting so much blood sweat and tears into his prototype, had a hard time seeing how dangerous KARR was. Devon may well have tried to convince Wilton to have KARR completely dismantled, but all Wilton would agree to would be to have it deactivated and stored in the hopes that one day KARR could be repaired and meet his full potential (he may have even been less than honest with Devon about this, which would explain why Devon thought KARR was dismantled).

If all this were true, than Devon might have had to begin work on KITT without nessecarily having Wilton's complete support (at least not at first). At the very least Devon wouldn't have KARR to use for scrap parts or to reprogram.

Its a long shot, but its plausible.

Ghost

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:45 pm

It could be (and this is just a theory) that tension between Devon and Wilton Knight led to KARR's survival.

Bear with me here. We've heard several times that Wilton was the main impetus behind KARR's construction, (like from KARR's own voicebox for starters; "I was created by Wilton Knight...."). And yet in Trust Doesn't Rust Devon specifically said "I began work on a safer car" refering to KITT.

It could be that Wilton, after working so hard and putting so much blood sweat and tears into his prototype, had a hard time seeing how dangerous KARR was. Devon may well have tried to convince Wilton to have KARR completely dismantled, but all Wilton would agree to would be to have it deactivated and stored in the hopes that one day KARR could be repaired and meet his full potential (he may have even been less than honest with Devon about this, which would explain why Devon thought KARR was dismantled).

If all this were true, than Devon might have had to begin work on KITT without nessecarily having Wilton's complete support (at least not at first). At the very least Devon wouldn't have KARR to use for scrap parts or to reprogram.

Its a long shot, but its plausible.

Ghost

hay sound good. I don't see any problem with it it sound reasonable to and it fit everything that they said in the show to.