Universal KITT Pics

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

LoneKnight
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Universal KITT Pics

Post by LoneKnight » Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:40 pm

Hey all.
Well, it took me dang near forever, but I got some pics up of the KITT from Universal Studios, as well as an added bonus pic. :D
These are the best pics I could find, and the only pics I got of the dash.
Enjoy!

http://www.geocities.com/maverick776/pages/kitt.html

Give it awhile if you cannot access it right off of the bat. It is running through the anal Geocities, so if it doesn't work the first time, try back later.

Any questions, let me know!

-LK

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Wed Aug 13, 2003 6:24 pm

Ah, we slammed it! Heh. I wonder how many people it takes to bring a geocities site to a temporary halt?

The "bonus" pic is great. Is that from the tram tour? Nice job on the site, very clean!

LoneKnight
Rookie

Post by LoneKnight » Wed Aug 13, 2003 6:54 pm

Sadly, I don't think it takes too many people to crash a Geocities site. I'm thinking of doing the upgrade where you pay for your own domain, but I dunno....

Overall, it's a pain in the neck, but I'm glad to get some feedback on it.

That original KITT pic was taken on the tram. At the time, I couldn't really tell if KITT was just sitting out there for the heck of it, or if it was an actual part of the tram tour.
Then again, I've heard that there can be surprises if you just keep a watch around you. You never know what you'll see.

Stargazer
Operative

Post by Stargazer » Wed Aug 13, 2003 9:24 pm

Now I know why they removed that car from display. Look how cheesy everything is. Someone didn't even use the correct seats.

Someone sold Universal a bad copy. I have seen better reproductions than that piece of trash.

I had found pictures of this same car in the one of the back lots. I don't see why they would want to keep that piece of trash around anymore.

Thanks for the pictures dude. It makes me appreciate to know that piece of junk was removed from display.

Maybe Universal will consider buying a better reproduction down the road.... no pun intended.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Aug 13, 2003 10:18 pm

Buying? Why would they have to buy it, they created it.

Second, they scaled things back, because they built it for mass spectator touchy feely type situations, the kind of things that would give real conversionists absolute heartattacks.

Third, I wouldn't be badmouthing it, at least they had one, one that gave many people an experience of a lifetime for them to hold onto, and for them to hold onto the whole magic that keeps the fandom alive today.

Maybe they took it off because some people just can't appreciate what they get.

KI

LoneKnight
Rookie

Post by LoneKnight » Wed Aug 13, 2003 10:24 pm

If I was in the correct area of where KITT should have been, all of that area has been redone with food areas and other quirky little movie stuff when I went there last year.

I don't care if it was authentic or not, I'd still want to get my hands on that car (I figure the seats can always be replaced, the instrument clusters re-worked if they need it).

Stargazer
Operative

Post by Stargazer » Wed Aug 13, 2003 10:36 pm

They did not scale that car back because it was not one of the cars used in the series. Universal purchased the vehicle as I inquired about the car since it was not there.

It is trash.. bad mouthing or not... that car should have never been put on display... I'm glad it is gone.

I have seen better at a car show here in Dallas. The guy that built that car had enough sense to put up a rope around the car and keep people away from it.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Wed Aug 13, 2003 10:51 pm

Stargazer wrote:I had found pictures of this same car in the one of the back lots. I don't see why they would want to keep that piece of trash around anymore.
Why you calling a possible screen used car a piece of crap. Sure they probably weren't done to the level replica makers do now. but its an original, and that is more valueable to me then a replica. (that is of course if it was a screen used car, I would think so because it was on the backlot the same time the display car was still in universal)

Stargazer
Operative

Post by Stargazer » Wed Aug 13, 2003 10:59 pm

I called it trash... not crap.

It is not a screen car or anything of the sort. Talk to folks at Universal like I did. They will tell you.

BTW... I'm curious what they did with the Ford vehicles they used in Team Knight Rider. Did they sell them off or what?
Just curious.

knightvision
Operative

Post by knightvision » Wed Aug 13, 2003 11:48 pm

Stargazer wrote:Now I know why they removed that car from display. Look how cheesy everything is. Someone didn't even use the correct seats.

Someone sold Universal a bad copy. I have seen better reproductions than that piece of trash.

I had found pictures of this same car in the one of the back lots. I don't see why they would want to keep that piece of trash around anymore.

Thanks for the pictures dude. It makes me appreciate to know that piece of junk was removed from display.

Maybe Universal will consider buying a better reproduction down the road.... no pun intended.

First off that was not an original KITT that was on display and I know that knowledge first hand.

Second, the only original cars that exist are known as "hero" cars according to Jack Gill and those cars were kept in presitine condition for shots with Hasselhoff. All the others were trashed during jumps.

Third, Mark at Markscustomkits.com has the only existing stunt car left he did modification to it. Jack Gill verified it was an original when we interviewed him as well as Michael Scheffe.

There are a few original cars out there but they have went to private bidders. The original cars have something that the reproductions do not. I know what that is and I am not telling. This one at Universal does not have what I was told its supposed to have by Gill.

Richie

PS For those who do not know Jack Gill was the stunt man on 83 of the episodes of Knight Rider and the 2nd unit director.

knightvision
Operative

Post by knightvision » Wed Aug 13, 2003 11:54 pm

knightimmortal wrote:Buying? Why would they have to buy it, they created it.

Second, they scaled things back, because they built it for mass spectator touchy feely type situations, the kind of things that would give real conversionists absolute heartattacks.

Third, I wouldn't be badmouthing it, at least they had one, one that gave many people an experience of a lifetime for them to hold onto, and for them to hold onto the whole magic that keeps the fandom alive today.

Maybe they took it off because some people just can't appreciate what they get.

KI
True at least the display brought attention to the series years after it was off. Laura is right, it wasnt meant to be the best reproduction possible nor driveable at all. It was meant for the kiddies to sit in and damage. I for one know a few on this board who actually took pics with it.

Maybe Universal just decided enough is enough. Does not mean its a bad car...no car can match what we saw on television, thats why its called television.

Richie

Stargazer
Operative

Post by Stargazer » Thu Aug 14, 2003 10:03 am

Thank you knightvision for clearing things up a bit.

I knew that car was not used in the series, but did not have all of the details.

Did they trash the TKR vehicles as well?