KR 2008 Replica builds

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

MTAK
Rookie
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

KR 2008 Replica builds

Post by MTAK » Fri May 08, 2020 5:42 am

Hi all,

Been a few years since I have visited this site and glad to see it's still going.

I part built a KR 2008 several years ago with help from this forum and it's members. The knowledge and information shared here was great!

Our replica car was pretty much complete except for the computer to run the voice orb. The only reason I didn't complete was the fact my wife and I decided to move back to the UK.
At first we thought it best to sell the car in the US so started stripping it down to convert back to normal ie removed voice orb, scanner etc I sold the voice orb on here but kept the scanner. The Alcoe wheels never got fitted so again I sold them.
After that we decided to ship the car back with us to the UK as we just loved the vehicle too much and regretted selling the parts. My brother owned it for a while before selling on and unfortunately haven't seen it since. Recently tried to track it down to see what happened to it but I've been without any luck.

Anyway, I was just wondering what happened to the other replica builds/builders?

How many of those guys are still around?

Are the vehicles still around and owned as KR 2008 replicas or did some convert back to standard and sell on?

2knight
Rookie

Re: KR 2008 Replica builds

Post by 2knight » Mon May 11, 2020 8:31 am

Hi MTAK,
I used to check this board more often, but decided to look today and saw your post. With no new iterations of Knight Rider these days, I'm not sure there's been much traffic on this site.

There's a Facebook group for Knight Three Thousand replica builders -- https://www.facebook.com/groups/153983198117615/

It's mostly posts from the guy who created the group sharing his replica photos, though I've been meaning to share some of my own.

I inherited a Mustang when my Dad passed away in 2009. I've been slowly turning it into my own version of the Knight 3000 - similar to the pilot version of attack mode, but also the voice orb, and some buttons more reminiscent of the original Knight 2000. I don't want to rely exclusively on a computer to control everything.

I had originally planned to go with a computer version of the voice orb. I cut out the circle for the orb between the two central vents, placed an LCD monitor behind it, and used a 3 inch dome magnifier for the orb itself. While I have a Windows XP computer in the car, I never got around to working out the actual voice visualization. The dome magnifier also made it difficult to see anything on the LCD screen because it distorted the image. I recently took out the LCD screen and replaced it with a "mini-voice box display" from Jupiter Electronics. This is basically a bare bones LED bar graph voice box from the original KITT. They come in red, yellow, and blue. I thought about blue, but stuck with classic red.

I'm very happy with the classic voice box. It is very bright and even very visible during the day. It's also plug-and-play so I don't have to rely on a computer or software to drive the display. While the dome magnifier distorts the image somewhat, it still feels very Knight Rider. For the first time in the 11 years I've owned the car, it finally feels like I'm driving KITT.

The next really big thing I need to get is the ram air hood. I have the stock hood and have my scanner in the grill. Once I get that, I'll really feel I've arrived.

I've also been working on a Knight 2000 replica. I've had the car since the 1990s, but had to take it off the road years ago. It really needs a bit of everything, but body and engine are the priority - and currently outside my budget since they need major work. I've been doing little things to it recently like replacing engine hoses, sensors, relays, and so forth, but most of my time and money is currently going toward the Mustang since that's the one that I'm driving.

MTAK
Rookie

Post by MTAK » Mon May 11, 2020 12:40 pm

Hi 2knight,

Good to hear there are more like-minded people still out there and continuing to build there own version of KITT.

I am planning something for later on this year, time and money pending lol

I will head over to the Facebook site and say hi to everyone. Feel free to message me there and it'll be great to see what you've done so far.

cc_KITT
Volunteer

Post by cc_KITT » Tue May 12, 2020 4:34 pm

Hi,

Great to hear that there are other people creating a KITT. I have had my mustang now for 6 years and have done several small things such as stripes but now attempting to build my own voice orb and concert the rest of the dash.

I have wanted to do this for a long time but always been nervous to take the plunge. Currently gathering the parts for my own bespoke orb.
Attachments
D8083CEC-9AC8-4C74-9A5B-A951CBB06713.jpeg

MTAK
Rookie

Post by MTAK » Thu May 14, 2020 12:09 pm

Excellent!

I would recommend joining that Facebook group mentioned by 2knight as quite a few on there would have great advise or input if you need it.

If not, please keep us posted as to your progress.

cc_KITT
Volunteer

Post by cc_KITT » Sat May 30, 2020 8:50 am

Hi,

Still working on the Voice Orb and it’s coming together nicely. The main construction is about complete, the next stage is to get this into the car.

I am already planning the next parts of the replica build such as the hood and other parts of the interior.
Attachments
9F0375DE-F0CC-4D0B-A6BB-D2A5CE3C8D94.png

krkitt1
FLAG Recruit

Post by krkitt1 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:04 am

Hey, It’s nice seeing a kind of resurgence in the KITT Three Thousand. I’m the one that has the page on Facebook. Everyone is welcome and please post your pictures. I’ve been working on mine for 11 years now. Just trying to do the small details now, just finished installing the correct seats and plan on installing the red door inserts soon. Probably the last part will be the HID headlights, only thing is that they are now around $1200. per side unless you find a used set but that’s hard to come by. Our car has been to Vegas I believe 8 times, we drive it, not trailered. Also been do a lot of Route 66 with it too. Make sure to check out the Facebook page.