Is KITT hard to drive?

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Re: Is KITT hard to drive?

Post by jup » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:25 am

J D Rider wrote:Why didn't Michael ever get pulled over in the show for all those things? Kitt ran the scanner light on roadways all the time, always had the blackout visible, etc. lol

Maybe some of these car laws are gray and don't get enforced most of the time... like technicalities.
That's a simple one. In television and movies, unless it's a reality based source, it all resides in an alternate reality. Rules, physics, "reality" and more will mirror our reality to any level those writing the script care to reflect. The true limits are just how much the viewer is willing to tolerate about changes and overlooked details. So, rules of the roads in KR Land don't have strict regulations about red, strobing lights being for official use vehicles, only. It still doesn't make sense to the regular person and must be explained on occasion. However, nobody pulls over when Kitt scans them.

As for real laws in the books, there are lots of outdated and very odd laws in many areas. One that I can think of that applies to this notion is how in multiple states, there's this law that makes it illegal for vehicles to have...electric head lamps. (Only oil burning lamps can be used.) Such laws only still exist as nobody ever pushed to remove them and I can hope that no law enforcement officer ever tries to rely upon such laws to push a ticket with.

KentuckyKITT
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by KentuckyKITT » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:14 pm

J D Rider wrote: Yeah, you're right. I don't see how they would know or pick up on that. It's probably safe. My kitt is a '90 and I thought the car came with an airbag. The wheel looks like it has one, judging by the shape and size. And I was told by the previous owner that the car has one. Hmm... that'd be sweet if, come to find, it doesn't even have an airbag. Thanks for the info! I'd love to see pictures of all your cars, KITT and KARR owners (if u have shared or do down the road). I haven't had my kitt in a car show since I painted him. I used to enter him in shows back when he was white, like the "Junk Yard Dog" episode. I painted him black in '09 tho. I have mixed thoughts abt car shows bc I'm paranoid abt people touching and so forth! :wink: lol I try my best to baby Kitt.
I know what u mean abt being careful, so not to draw attention to cops. I've been only pulled over once, too. Got a $90 ticket for running the scanner light (red lense)-- my bro was actually driving and I warned him beforehand. He was mad at the cop, too. He said with an angered tone, "It's the Knight Rider car!" Lol But the cop replied, "I don't care what it is," as he snapped a pic of the front bumper and strobing light. The cop continued by saying we could challenge it in court if we desired. Never did tho.
Does your steering wheel look like this?:

If so, you are okay, no air bag...it just kind of looks like one. This is the stock wheel in my 89 Firebird which I've replaced a couple of years ago with a 3-spoke grant challenger that looks more "Trans Am." I've always hated this stock wheel personally.

Also, since you have a 90, your car is kind of rare since 90 was a low production year all around for Firebird Trans Am and Camaro. My unicorn car is a 1990 Gunmetal Metallic GTA. Only 82 produced and I want one!

Edit: Also, I was wrong, apparently 90 could have air bags as well. Although I can't confirm it was standard, it may have been an option. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.
Last edited by KentuckyKITT on Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"KITT, if this is just a toy factory, I'm Peter Pan."

snafu
FLAG Recruit

Post by snafu » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:18 pm

J D Rider wrote: Wow, I'm surprised that Texas is like that! I'm glad I don't have to worry about that-- even having a light mounted is illegal, whether it's running or not?!! :? And I didn't realize rims over 20" are illegal. Interesting...
I bet most people ignore those gray laws tho, like u said. My big pet peeve is the front license plate-- the car looks great either way, but my preference would be to NOT be required to have the front plate.
I lied, I think the 20" rim law was leftover from some other place I lived.
Here's a quick guide to vehicle laws here:
http://www.liftlaws.com/texas_lift_laws.htm

And come to think of it, I can't find that other page where it said having the light mounted was illegal. This is directly from the transportation code.
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/D ... m#547.3215
Looks like blackout might not be legal, but like I said, I see that as well.(not endorsing it, haha)

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/th ... ie-mellema
"show modifications are not for road use"

I have a hilarious story about front license plates: I had my front plate STOLEN while I was parked for a day. I knew full well it was my vehicle but cast a look at the license plate and it wasn't mine... they'd swapped it out with someone else's. My back plate was still there; the screws were loose but I had backed up against a railing so they either gave up or decided they were going to get caught. We filed a police report, and the plate I had been "gifted" traced to another person in another town.
So, if you have two plates, and get one stolen, you still have the other one in reserve if they only took one of them. (definitely don't cruise around with two different plates)
Heaven, where all QC only has to be run once.

J D Rider
Recruit

Post by J D Rider » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:56 pm

jup wrote:
J D Rider wrote:Why didn't Michael ever get pulled over in the show for all those things? Kitt ran the scanner light on roadways all the time, always had the blackout visible, etc. lol

Maybe some of these car laws are gray and don't get enforced most of the time... like technicalities.
That's a simple one. In television and movies, unless it's a reality based source, it all resides in an alternate reality. Rules, physics, "reality" and more will mirror our reality to any level those writing the script care to reflect. The true limits are just how much the viewer is willing to tolerate about changes and overlooked details. So, rules of the roads in KR Land don't have strict regulations about red, strobing lights being for official use vehicles, only. It still doesn't make sense to the regular person and must be explained on occasion. However, nobody pulls over when Kitt scans them.

As for real laws in the books, there are lots of outdated and very odd laws in many areas. One that I can think of that applies to this notion is how in multiple states, there's this law that makes it illegal for vehicles to have...electric head lamps. (Only oil burning lamps can be used.) Such laws only still exist as nobody ever pushed to remove them and I can hope that no law enforcement officer ever tries to rely upon such laws to push a ticket with.
Yeah, I bet a lot of laws are outdated. The odd laws are the annoying ones...like the airbag thing and front license plate. Kentucky and some other states did away with the front plate. They should nationwide-- it'd save $$, too. I haven't heard about the electric head lamps. If a cop needs to be meet a quota for tickets, maybe he or she would do the displeasure of granting a ticket to someone for an odd law buried in some book on a shelf. lol

J D Rider
Recruit

Post by J D Rider » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:07 pm

KentuckyKITT wrote:
J D Rider wrote: Yeah, you're right. I don't see how they would know or pick up on that. It's probably safe. My kitt is a '90 and I thought the car came with an airbag. The wheel looks like it has one, judging by the shape and size. And I was told by the previous owner that the car has one. Hmm... that'd be sweet if, come to find, it doesn't even have an airbag. Thanks for the info! I'd love to see pictures of all your cars, KITT and KARR owners (if u have shared or do down the road). I haven't had my kitt in a car show since I painted him. I used to enter him in shows back when he was white, like the "Junk Yard Dog" episode. I painted him black in '09 tho. I have mixed thoughts abt car shows bc I'm paranoid abt people touching and so forth! :wink: lol I try my best to baby Kitt.
I know what u mean abt being careful, so not to draw attention to cops. I've been only pulled over once, too. Got a $90 ticket for running the scanner light (red lense)-- my bro was actually driving and I warned him beforehand. He was mad at the cop, too. He said with an angered tone, "It's the Knight Rider car!" Lol But the cop replied, "I don't care what it is," as he snapped a pic of the front bumper and strobing light. The cop continued by saying we could challenge it in court if we desired. Never did tho.

If so, you are okay, no air bag...it just kind of looks like one. This is the stock wheel in my 89 Firebird which I've replaced a couple of years ago with a 3-spoke grant challenger that looks more "Trans Am." I've always hated this stock wheel personally.

Also, since you have a 90, your car is kind of rare since 90 was a low production year all around for Firebird Trans Am and Camaro. My unicorn car is a 1990 Gunmetal Metallic GTA. Only 82 produced and I want one!

Edit: Also, I was wrong, apparently 90 could have air bags as well. Although I can't confirm it was standard, it may have been an option. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.
Yep! That's my wheel. U bring good news and optimism-- maybe I don't have an airbag after all!! That'd be a relief. But I was told my car does have one. I need to figure out where that information came from. I was young when we bought the car (16), so I need to trace where that info originated from, whether it was the previous owner or a document. Maybe the car manual would say. Anybody know how to determine whether your car has an airbag for sure? Mine is a '90 Firebird and it does look like the wheel in your pic. Thanks for the info and pic.

RafaelLOJ
Operative

Post by RafaelLOJ » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:15 pm

With practice, it gets easier... I'm 6 foot 2 inches, and though I have purchased the rear extend brackets from Billy, I've not put them on yet... The wheel itself, is fine, being slim and shorter helps... for turning, I can cup one of the handles and turn it with one hand easily, again, practice... Having everything mechanical taken care of, replacing any tired steering components, I upgraded my power steering box, replaced the plastic bearing for the steering with a metal one, replaced the rag joint with an upgraded Astro / jeep steering shaft with U joint, etc... And an Alignment !!! All that makes it much nicer to drive...

My car is a 5 speed... so I've got a 3rd pedal and shifting to contend with... For me the wheel height / position is fine, I may have to try some mod for the pods, or when I try the brackets to move the seat back, I'll have more room... but with just the wheel, I'm fine...

Greetings Old Timers :) !!!

Rafael

J D Rider
Recruit

Post by J D Rider » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:25 pm

snafu wrote:
J D Rider wrote: Wow, I'm surprised that Texas is like that! I'm glad I don't have to worry about that-- even having a light mounted is illegal, whether it's running or not?!! :? And I didn't realize rims over 20" are illegal. Interesting...
I bet most people ignore those gray laws tho, like u said. My big pet peeve is the front license plate-- the car looks great either way, but my preference would be to NOT be required to have the front plate.
I lied, I think the 20" rim law was leftover from some other place I lived.
Here's a quick guide to vehicle laws here:
http://www.liftlaws.com/texas_lift_laws.htm

And come to think of it, I can't find that other page where it said having the light mounted was illegal. This is directly from the transportation code.
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/D ... m#547.3215
Looks like blackout might not be legal, but like I said, I see that as well.(not endorsing it, haha)

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/th ... ie-mellema
"show modifications are not for road use"

I have a hilarious story about front license plates: I had my front plate STOLEN while I was parked for a day. I knew full well it was my vehicle but cast a look at the license plate and it wasn't mine... they'd swapped it out with someone else's. My back plate was still there; the screws were loose but I had backed up against a railing so they either gave up or decided they were going to get caught. We filed a police report, and the plate I had been "gifted" traced to another person in another town.
So, if you have two plates, and get one stolen, you still have the other one in reserve if they only took one of them. (definitely don't cruise around with two different plates)
That's hilarious abt the front plate. I had a similar thought a while back about license plates on kitt. I have a replica of the plate from the show (blue California KNIGHT). I wondered how long it would take me to get caught and pulled over if I put that plate on my kitt. lol tho I wouldn't try bc the punishment would probably be pretty harsh.
Well, I'm glad to hear the laws abt the 20" rims and light aren't quite as strict in Texas. That'd be too rough.

snafu
FLAG Recruit

Post by snafu » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:22 pm

I wonder if certain cities set their by-laws different from the rest of the state. I kept getting hits on "what's legal in Houston" vs the rest of Texas. I live in a rural area and only drive into a metro area to work. Legally, if I only had to drive from my house to my small town, I could drive a tractor to work. It has all working signals!

I went probably 2 weeks with no front plate because it had been stolen, and no one said anything. I did have the name and case number of the report we'd made, of course, if I got pulled over. The whole thing was so stupid. FYI, you can get these weird bolts that require a very specific wrench to get off if you park in a theft-happy area. I suspect mine had something to do with drugs/vehicle theft. They wanted hot plates to put on stolen cars.
Heaven, where all QC only has to be run once.

KentuckyKITT
Rookie

Post by KentuckyKITT » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:16 pm

J D Rider wrote: Yep! That's my wheel. U bring good news and optimism-- maybe I don't have an airbag after all!! That'd be a relief. But I was told my car does have one. I need to figure out where that information came from. I was young when we bought the car (16), so I need to trace where that info originated from, whether it was the previous owner or a document. Maybe the car manual would say. Anybody know how to determine whether your car has an airbag for sure? Mine is a '90 Firebird and it does look like the wheel in your pic. Thanks for the info and pic.
If that is your wheel than you definitely don't have an air bag. To be certain, you can pry that square cover off. Just reach into the top groove of the square and pull back, this cover just pops out and pops in. That's not to say your car didn't have one, because someone could have easily swapped steering wheels. Look on the driver's side visor, if it's still there, there will be a sticker about the air bag. If you really want to be certain, climb up under the bottom of your car and look up under the hood slam tray in the center at the core support, if there is little black plastic box with yellow coated wire running to it, then your car used to have it. This is the sensor that trips the bag. Also, there will be yellow coated wires under the dash and in the steering column. The wires are not yellow, but they have a yellow sleeve over them. If you don't have any of that, the car didn't come with an air bag. If you have all of that, then the air bag has been removed. That's the best way I know. The manual should tell you if you have the original one that came with the car.

Going by what your saying that you have the same steering wheel as mine, I'd say you're in the clear.

OKC KNIGHT
Operative

Post by OKC KNIGHT » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:27 pm

J D Rider wrote:
KentuckyKITT wrote:

Yep! That's my wheel. U bring good news and optimism-- maybe I don't have an airbag after all!! That'd be a relief. But I was told my car does have one. I need to figure out where that information came from. I was young when we bought the car (16), so I need to trace where that info originated from, whether it was the previous owner or a document. Maybe the car manual would say. Anybody know how to determine whether your car has an airbag for sure? Mine is a '90 Firebird and it does look like the wheel in your pic. Thanks for the info and pic.

If this is your wheel then you DO have an airbag. I had a 1990 Firebird years ago and it had a airbag steering wheel !!

ALL 1990-1992 Firebird's had airbags

I believe in '90 or 91 ALL cars sold in US had to have a driver side airbag, It became federal law

Dave
Specializing in 1982-1992 Firebird/Trans Am Parts since 2002 and the ONLY seller of High Quality KITT Taillight blackouts

My contact Dmcman108@yahoo.com

KentuckyKITT
Rookie

Post by KentuckyKITT » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:35 pm

Thanks for posting that picture Dave, I couldn't find one quick enough. That is the air bag wheel, but I'm curious about his 90 since he says his wheel looks like mine (non-air bag) and after some research, I was finding conflicting information on 1990 models. If his 90 doesn't have all the air bag wiring/front sensor...that will be interesting.

OKC KNIGHT
Operative

Post by OKC KNIGHT » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:41 pm

KentuckyKITT wrote:Thanks for posting that picture Dave, I couldn't find one quick enough. That is the air bag wheel, but I'm curious about his 90 since he says his wheel looks like mine (non-air bag) and after some research, I was finding conflicting information on 1990 models. If his 90 doesn't have all the air bag wiring/front sensor...that will be interesting.

Long time no hear bryan lol 8)

Ya It IS possible that his car had the column/steering wheel swapped at sometime do to Prior damage/theft/vandalism or ??. On our cars and other models, I have seen people swap out non air-bag steering wheels in airbag equipped cars !!, for one reason or another. :?

Dave
Specializing in 1982-1992 Firebird/Trans Am Parts since 2002 and the ONLY seller of High Quality KITT Taillight blackouts

J D Rider
Recruit

Post by J D Rider » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:42 pm

RafaelLOJ wrote:With practice, it gets easier... I'm 6 foot 2 inches, and though I have purchased the rear extend brackets from Billy, I've not put them on yet... The wheel itself, is fine, being slim and shorter helps... for turning, I can cup one of the handles and turn it with one hand easily, again, practice... Having everything mechanical taken care of, replacing any tired steering components, I upgraded my power steering box, replaced the plastic bearing for the steering with a metal one, replaced the rag joint with an upgraded Astro / jeep steering shaft with U joint, etc... And an Alignment !!! All that makes it much nicer to drive...

My car is a 5 speed... so I've got a 3rd pedal and shifting to contend with... For me the wheel height / position is fine, I may have to try some mod for the pods, or when I try the brackets to move the seat back, I'll have more room... but with just the wheel, I'm fine...

Greetings Old Timers :) !!!

Rafael
Thanks for sharing! Sounds like a nice ride! :D

J D Rider
Recruit

Post by J D Rider » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:52 pm

So...I went out and took a closer look at kitt's steering wheel. I removed the cover and found I was wrong :shock: I wasn't remembering the exact look of the wheel correctly-- it's definitely the same wheel from Dave's pic. Srry for the confusion. Guess that means I have an airbag... :|
It's the same wheel as the pic Dave provided (below):
Attachments
IMG_0344.JPG

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:15 am

Old timers??? Aw...come on. It doesn't feel like it's been that long.

...well, I just saw that Batman animated turned 25. (Doesn't feel like that much time has passed.) Just got a few rounds of Pac-Man in, today. The years...are...

Alright. Statement withdrawn.

RafaelLOJ
Operative

Post by RafaelLOJ » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:42 am

No disrespect intended, Just meant seeing responses from people who have been in the hobby a while...

My kitt is at home in Tampa Bay, where Irma is headed... I left to Orlando... hoping for the best...

OKC KNIGHT
Operative

Post by OKC KNIGHT » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:02 am

RafaelLOJ wrote:No disrespect intended, Just meant seeing responses from people who have been in the hobby a while...

Long time Raf !!! 8)

Ya when I started in the KR hobby early 00's, I was still in HS !! Now, I have grey hair 8) :? :shock:

Dave

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:14 am

Well, I was just joking. The grey hairs started popping in a few years ago, after all.

kitt28
Stranger

Post by kitt28 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:47 pm

we dont have any emission laws for cars over 25 years old, the law here states that non front solid or moving red or blue lights, im glad, i was worried about my RED tail and brake lights. my KITT replica only has the 4th season nose and scanner light. nothing else yet, and vendors keeps coming up on our list then like Billy they just disappear, its hard to come up with a parts list when vendors dont stay around

kitt28
Stranger

Post by kitt28 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:47 pm

J D Rider wrote:Yeah Jup, I was disappointed when I saw that video of how hard the car is to operate with the dash in it. I have a KITT that is a replica on the outside, but stock inside. I've been toying with getting the dash, but doing some research like this at first to gauge what it would be like. But, to be honest, the vid is scaring me-- I don't wanna ruin the driving experience of the car. With my car as stock, I don't think it's any harder to get in and out of then your average car. But with the dash, that guy in the video says it's a whole different story. I don't know if that's always the case. Maybe it depends on who made the particular dash. I actually just took KITT out and we had a good drive together :D
This is a pic of my KITT:
i think Jacob Knight, knightridershop.com builds the pod units higher then on the show, makes getting easy to get in and out of the car