Pics of my KITT washed and waxed

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

J D Rider
Recruit
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Pics of my KITT washed and waxed

Post by J D Rider » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:41 pm

KITT was washed and waxed yesterday. Sharing some pics :D

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Re: Pics of my KITT washed and waxed

Post by Assasinge » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:30 pm

Christ he looks bloody awesome!

J D Rider
Recruit

Post by J D Rider » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:23 pm

:D thanks!! I'm happy with the way the wash/wax turned out.

OKC KNIGHT
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by OKC KNIGHT » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:06 am

Nice ride JD !!!

Wish mine looked that good, Needs another repaint(Long story)

No luck on finding PMD seats ??

I'm eyeing a 82 Firerbird S/E parts car with tan PMD seats. Probably gonna pick it up this weekend

Dave
Specializing in 1982-1992 Firebird/Trans Am Parts since 2002 and the ONLY seller of High Quality KITT Taillight blackouts

My contact Dmcman108@yahoo.com

J D Rider
Recruit

Post by J D Rider » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:01 pm

OKC KNIGHT wrote:Nice ride JD !!!

I'm eyeing a 82 Firerbird S/E parts car with tan PMD seats. Probably gonna pick it up this weekend

Dave
Thanks, Dave! I had Kitt painted in '09, so the paint is still fresh. They applied 4 coats of clear on him when they painted to achieve the mirror finish. I saw some of the original promotional pics of Kitt a long time ago (pics from when the show was first debuting). The paint was like a mirror and I fell in love with that look, so I modeled after that. "Basic black" as the paint color w/ 4 coats of clear.

As for PMD seats, I've been looking around on eBay. Dunno where else to find them. Any suggestions? They're expensive, too. I calculated it would be around $1,700 to $2,000 by the time I buy the seats and have them reupholstered.

That's sweet you're getting a parts car. You going to sell the PMD seats, too?

OKC KNIGHT
Operative

Post by OKC KNIGHT » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:02 am

J D Rider wrote:

Dave
Thanks, Dave! I had Kitt painted in '09, so the paint is still fresh. They applied 4 coats of clear on him when they painted to achieve the mirror finish. I saw some of the original promotional pics of Kitt a long time ago (pics from when the show was first debuting). The paint was like a mirror and I fell in love with that look, so I modeled after that. "Basic black" as the paint color w/ 4 coats of clear.

As for PMD seats, I've been looking around on eBay. Dunno where else to find them. Any suggestions? They're expensive, too. I calculated it would be around $1,700 to $2,000 by the time I buy the seats and have them reupholstered.

WHOA 4 coats of clear ?? :shock: Ya lets just say I didn't even get 1 coat of clear on my last paint job :roll: :? Luckily a friend of mine has a good buddy who does "Show Quality" paint jobs and quoted me a price I COULD NOT pass on !!! :shock: 8) This winter my KITT gets "Stripped naked" and repainted :mrgreen: 8)

On the PMD seats. Prices have gone up. I use to get around $400-600 for a set depending on condition. Now, I get around $600-800 for a pair !! :shock:

But honestly $1700-2000 to buy and reupholster PMD's sounds kinda high ?? Guess depends what area you live also and cost of labor/material vary around the world

And yes if I do pick up that '82 S/E this weekend it's to part out and sell everything lol 8) The car has front end damage so it's nothing worth fixing and putting back up on the road. FYI, I specialize in 1982-1984 trans am parts.

Dave
Specializing in 1982-1992 Firebird/Trans Am Parts since 2002 and the ONLY seller of High Quality KITT Taillight blackouts

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:34 am

That is really amazing. Almost like a mirror.

No wonder the show had a few issues, keeping the cars from reflecting things that should not be seen. (Like camera rigs and crew members.)

J D Rider
Recruit

Post by J D Rider » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:59 pm

OKC KNIGHT wrote:
J D Rider wrote:

Dave

WHOA 4 coats of clear ?? :shock: Ya lets just say I didn't even get 1 coat of clear on my last paint job :roll: :? Luckily a friend of mine has a good buddy who does "Show Quality" paint jobs and quoted me a price I COULD NOT pass on !!! :shock: 8) This winter my KITT gets "Stripped naked" and repainted :mrgreen: 8)

On the PMD seats. Prices have gone up. I use to get around $400-600 for a set depending on condition. Now, I get around $600-800 for a pair !! :shock:

But honestly $1700-2000 to buy and reupholster PMD's sounds kinda high ?? Guess depends what area you live also and cost of labor/material vary around the world

And yes if I do pick up that '82 S/E this weekend it's to part out and sell everything lol 8) The car has front end damage so it's nothing worth fixing and putting back up on the road. FYI, I specialize in 1982-1984 trans am parts.

Dave
That's too bad your last paint job didn't turn out like u wanted. Awesome you're getting Kitt repainted soon! Post pics after you get him painted- would love to see it! I had my Kitt painted during wintertime, too. They had him for about 6 months and took their time, stripped the car down, took it apart. It worked out well because they finished when the weather turned nice, in spring. My Kitt used to be white. He looked like Kitt from the Junk Yard Dog episode. Mods had to be orchestrated in order to make him an accurate replica: had to remove the ground effects, get the proper rear bumper, proper taillights, correct hood with cowl induction, rims/hubcaps.

For the PMD seats, I came up with that big estimate by allowing about $600 for the seats (at least), then $600 or so to reupholster, and $300 to have them installed...give or take. When added up, I guess that's only $1,500 if the seats don't come more than expected.

Let me know if you pick up the car and get those seats! I'd be interested in hearing about them and seeing if I can purchase!
Thanks! Do you sell that front ground effect piece that Kitt had (part of the time)? Seems like Kitt had it in some episodes and then sometimes he didn't.
thanks!

J D Rider
Recruit

Post by J D Rider » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:01 pm

jup wrote:That is really amazing. Almost like a mirror.

No wonder the show had a few issues, keeping the cars from reflecting things that should not be seen. (Like camera rigs and crew members.)
Thanks!! Yeah, I love the mirror look! Turned out exactly like I wanted. I can see how it would have been hard to film with the reflective car surface. Cameras would get in the shots!

OKC KNIGHT
Operative

Post by OKC KNIGHT » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:25 pm

J D Rider wrote:
OKC KNIGHT wrote:
J D Rider wrote:

Dave
That's too bad your last paint job didn't turn out like u wanted. Awesome you're getting Kitt repainted soon! Post pics after you get him painted- would love to see it! I had my Kitt painted during wintertime, too. They had him for about 6 months and took their time, stripped the car down, took it apart. It worked out well because they finished when the weather turned nice, in spring. My Kitt used to be white. He looked like Kitt from the Junk Yard Dog episode. Mods had to be orchestrated in order to make him an accurate replica: had to remove the ground effects, get the proper rear bumper, proper taillights, correct hood with cowl induction, rims/hubcaps.

For the PMD seats, I came up with that big estimate by allowing about $600 for the seats (at least), then $600 or so to reupholster, and $300 to have them installed...give or take. When added up, I guess that's only $1,500 if the seats don't come more than expected.

Let me know if you pick up the car and get those seats! I'd be interested in hearing about them and seeing if I can purchase!
Thanks! Do you sell that front ground effect piece that Kitt had (part of the time)? Seems like Kitt had it in some episodes and then sometimes he didn't.
thanks!

They had your car for 6 months ?? :shock: My guy told me he needed my car for 6-8 weeks !!!

Converting an '85-92 car has its advantages better engine/trans options. But it isn't cheap since you have to get all the correct parts to convert it.
I'm sure those parts werent cheap !! Back in 2003, I struck the "KR Lottery" and found my donor car for KITT a TRUE Blk/Gold '82 T/A T-top, 62K miles, 100% optioned like on "Knight Of The Phoenix for $1300 !!! :shock: :mrgreen:

And you are correct KITT did have those on some episodes. Had an argument about it YEARS ago with another KR KITT owner, But a screen shot from an episode proved me right on that lol 8)

On the front air deflectors (What GM called it) YES, I do have those instock !!! My email dmcman108@yahoo.com

On the PMD seats, That project is 1-2 weeks down the road. i'll keep you updated on that once I have the car and seats pulled out :good:

Dave

snafu
FLAG Recruit

Post by snafu » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:33 pm

ahhhh that's so soothing to look at.
Heaven, where all QC only has to be run once.

J D Rider
Recruit

Post by J D Rider » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:23 pm

snafu wrote:ahhhh that's so soothing to look at.
Yeah! He is! :D Thanks!

J D Rider
Recruit

Post by J D Rider » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:40 pm

OKC KNIGHT wrote:
They had your car for 6 months ?? :shock: My guy told me he needed my car for 6-8 weeks !!!

Converting an '85-92 car has its advantages better engine/trans options. But it isn't cheap since you have to get all the correct parts to convert it.
I'm sure those parts werent cheap !! Back in 2003, I struck the "KR Lottery" and found my donor car for KITT a TRUE Blk/Gold '82 T/A T-top, 62K miles, 100% optioned like on "Knight Of The Phoenix for $1300 !!! :shock: :mrgreen:

And you are correct KITT did have those on some episodes. Had an argument about it YEARS ago with another KR KITT owner, But a screen shot from an episode proved me right on that lol 8)

On the front air deflectors (What GM called it) YES, I do have those instock !!! My email dmcman108@yahoo.com

On the PMD seats, That project is 1-2 weeks down the road. i'll keep you updated on that once I have the car and seats pulled out :good:

Dave
[/quote][/quote]

Yeah! Lol Six months is actually unusual. Six to 8 weeks is more normal, for sure. They ended up taking their time on my Kitt since it was wintertime. They were working on the project as a side-job, too. They did end up taking longer to do the job than expected and actually reduced the final price because of that. I was impressed!

My car is a '90 Firebird. I see what you mean about the advantages of the newer models w/ options and such. It does get expensive though to convert all the items to replicate the '82 T/A. That's awesome you found a perfect donor car. Good shape, good mileage, correct body style, colors, and a good price!! Can't beat that!! Sounds like an awesome ride! :D

Thanks for the e-mail addy. I'm interested in purchasing those front air deflectors. I have a ? though. How do the front air deflectors mount? Reason I ask..when they painted my Kitt, they had removed the old ground effects from the front and sealed the holes closed. Does that mean they would have to drill new holes to mount the front air deflectors? Or do they mount another way? Thanks :good: Yeah, keep me posted on those PMD seats. Thanks, Dave!

kitt34
FLAG Recruit

Post by kitt34 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:28 pm

Still smooth.

OKC KNIGHT
Operative

Post by OKC KNIGHT » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:53 am

J D Rider wrote:
Thanks for the e-mail addy. I'm interested in purchasing those front air deflectors. I have a ? though. How do the front air deflectors mount? Reason I ask..when they painted my Kitt, they had removed the old ground effects from the front and sealed the holes closed. Does that mean they would have to drill new holes to mount the front air deflectors? Or do they mount another way? Thanks :good: Yeah, keep me posted on those PMD seats. Thanks, Dave!

JD,

Ya they need to mount to the fenders and require a few holes on the fender and some fabricating/mounting under the front bumper, nothing a simple drill can't fix lol :mrgreen:

OR I can just sell you some 82 T/A fenders with the side vents and just throw in the air deflectors as a NICE package deal :mrgreen: :wink:

Shoot me an email if you want them, Cause they're my last pair I have instock !!! :good:

Dave