Original presentation questions

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

vnisanian2001
Volunteer
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Original presentation questions

Post by vnisanian2001 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:44 pm

1) Does the original presentation that was filmed around March 1982 exist anywhere? I hope it didn't go up in flames, after the Universal vault fire of 2008.

2) Were Tanya Walker and COMTRON involved with it, or were they not written yet?

Matthew
Site Administrator

Re: Original presentation questions

Post by Matthew » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:01 pm

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer to your first question. However, on the second one, David Hasselhoff playing Michael Long when he is shot by Tanya Walker places this scene within the original conceptual presentation, as does the absence of Wilson's lieutenant, Grey. In fact, at the time of filming, the early script drafts referred to Grey as Symes, a character that features prominently in this scene.

Also filmed as a part of the presentation was the Turbo Boost through the ComTron truck trailer. We know this because the original car had a modified version of the stock Trans Am nose, as opposed to the custom design that was used throughout the series. This scene served as the climax to the short-form film, with Michael's escape allowing him to meet with Devon and agree to take on the mantle of Wilton Knight's dream in the story's coda.

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

vnisanian2001
Volunteer

Re: Original presentation questions

Post by vnisanian2001 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:24 pm

The scene where Michael first drives K.I.T.T. with Devon by his side may have also been part of the presentation as well (the stock Trans Am nose was on there), although it had the newer licence plate, not the one seen in the part where Michael gets pulled over by a couple of cops.

And in the teaser (just before the pilot telefilm started airing), one of the shots was K.I.T.T., which his original voice, and voice box saying "After all, you were only human". That was also in the presentation. In the telefilm, this was re-filmed.