Opinion with lego knight rider game

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

james olden
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Opinion with lego knight rider game

Post by james olden » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:32 pm

What is your opinion with the lego knight rider video game
On the Quest for filling in the gaps from right after after Scent of Roses 1986- Knight Rider 2008

Matthew
Site Administrator
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: Opinion with lego knight rider game

Post by Matthew » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:28 am

You know from what I've seen on YouTube, it looks like a lot of fun. The only thing I can't figure out though is why all of the player controlled vehicles (except for the TARDIS) are the size of go-karts. It makes KITT stick out like a sore thumb.

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:46 am

So, I'm watching this vid as of this typing. Wasn't even aware of Lego Dimensions. So...it takes place in a virtual Vegas. As if the makers of this happened to be looking for ideas and came across that Car Stars or something. Then checked out the show. Slammin Sammy's Stunt Show Spectacular reference. Sweet. But...the player chose wisely with Sonic the Wedgehead, as Kitt seems kind of...under powered. I guess kids can play this just fine without asking too many questions. Alas...a phone inside a car over a fax machine? It just seems more for the kid in all of us whom never grew up.

https://youtu.be/Bp4NXbNI9JU

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Post by Assasinge » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:46 am

I've seen many people make their own KITT replicas out of legos, like this: Image

How did he end up looking like a poorly made Mario kart vehicle?: Image

In my opinion, it seems they were lazy in the making of KITT, and just threw together some two cent pieces lying around in their basement.

Matthew
Site Administrator

Post by Matthew » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:19 pm

Have you seen KARR though? He's not as good as say agaethon's on Flickr, but at least he's identifiable at first glance.

Matt
Attachments
LEGO Dimensions KARR.jpg
LEGO Dimensions KARR.jpg (84.28 KiB) Viewed 14661 times

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Post by Assasinge » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:33 pm

Before we get into that, here's the gameplay of it:

And if you don't like the annoying voice over from the guy playing, here's another video:

I am kind of impressed with the voice acting. I think William Daniels must have voiced KITT, not sure though. Either way it's actually pretty cool! Disappointingly, however, Turbo Boost cannot be used, neither can AUTO CRUISE.

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:22 pm

Turbo boost works you press A on Xbox One. I don't think either of these guys figured it out. But it's just like davilex KITT just jumps straight in the air.

I have a long list of opinions and screen shots to share later when I do a review on my website. There is a lot more hidden in that game then can be found in just 45 minutes and they stole one of my mission ideas of bringing street avenger back for some co-op fun for the fan game but oh well lol
Last edited by msKEN on Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Knight Rider Fan Game Project:
http://www.theknightrider.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Post by Assasinge » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:25 pm

Oh. I see then.

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:24 pm

The more I think about it, the more I am on the fence. It kind of feels like this was a crash course of round table ideas and weekend research. After all, they seem to be saying that the land of the Knight Rider is Las Vegas based. Alas...did Michael ever have anything to do with Las Vegas, once he lost his identity? Sure, Long's world was LV. But, Knight's world sure wasn't. And that's the kind of quickly drawn conclusion that watching a couple episodes for research might come up with. Or, for the sake of plot localization, why not LV and all it's flash? And Slammin Sammy's is clearly a previewed episode. Though, from this game, it almost seems like they thought the stunt show was a bigger player. Or, maybe it's easier to create a plot around the show. Easy enough to grasp that KARR and Garthe are the opposing villain fan favorites by just a little research. Also what show fans would have done. But, if they were just data mining, where did the 'debate: Bonnie or April" come from? Some web site research? That one just screams of true fans. Alas, with all the web's research power, not a hard thing to run across. And...would kids (whom I presume are the key audience for this) even know what a fax machine is? Definite nod to truer fans. I can't decide if this was some mining for a game full of hero types and a hot topic of self driving cars or some kind of tribute by real fans. Baffling. It feels rushed and partially clueless. Like someone whom got to figure out Superman by several episodes from multiple series, one of the movies and a couple comics. Or could be intentionally jabbed together.

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:46 pm

I can't disagree on that, they drew heavily from the first and second season of Knight Rider, but this isn't really a typical adventure world, those are typically $24.99 and have a bunch of missions related to the property its based on, this was just an $11.99 character pack, the fact it even came with a mini adventure world was quite a bonus but it looks like they are doing that for most of the wave 2 series. Yes I admit my son and I have an addiction problem with this game lol.

Things not shown in the video is the crystal cave from A Knight in Shining Armor, Garthe's penthouse Vegas sweet that you can break into, and just honestly I'm only at 51% completion, sure I've completed all the 7 main story missions but I've only had 2 hours to put in for the rest of the amount of insane collectibles and little side missions that lead to some cool references and nods to the show. I'm sure there is more then what I've found, but currently my son is having a blast with the Gremlins pack.

I'm really torn it, it feels like a money grab since you don't even really need the characters to complete any of the tasks in the game, but at the same time someone had to put some effort it into it and I can appreciate that.

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Post by Assasinge » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:44 pm

msKEN wrote:I'm really torn it, it feels like a money grab since you don't even really need the characters to complete any of the tasks in the game, but at the same time someone had to put some effort it into it and I can appreciate that.
Though I don't have the game, judging off of Ken's experience, it sure sounds like it's worth it. There are still people who argue that LEGO Dimensions is a cheap rip off of Skylanders and that LEGO just tossed a bunch of licenses into the game for the sake of it or whatever. Well, can't really agree with one side or the other, but I sure as hell am glad that Knight Rider even made it into the game in the first place, no?
jup wrote:The more I think about it, the more I am on the fence. It kind of feels like this was a crash course of round table ideas and weekend research. After all, they seem to be saying that the land of the Knight Rider is Las Vegas based. Alas...did Michael ever have anything to do with Las Vegas, once he lost his identity? Sure, Long's world was LV. But, Knight's world sure wasn't. And that's the kind of quickly drawn conclusion that watching a couple episodes for research might come up with. Or, for the sake of plot localization, why not LV and all it's flash? And Slammin Sammy's is clearly a previewed episode. Though, from this game, it almost seems like they thought the stunt show was a bigger player. Or, maybe it's easier to create a plot around the show. Easy enough to grasp that KARR and Garthe are the opposing villain fan favorites by just a little research. Also what show fans would have done. But, if they were just data mining, where did the 'debate: Bonnie or April" come from? Some web site research? That one just screams of true fans. Alas, with all the web's research power, not a hard thing to run across. And...would kids (whom I presume are the key audience for this) even know what a fax machine is? Definite nod to truer fans. I can't decide if this was some mining for a game full of hero types and a hot topic of self driving cars or some kind of tribute by real fans. Baffling. It feels rushed and partially clueless. Like someone whom got to figure out Superman by several episodes from multiple series, one of the movies and a couple comics. Or could be intentionally jabbed together.

As far as Jup's amusing rant is concerned, true that Michael's world wasn't LA based, but neither was KR 2008. Except for the pilot episode and a few.
But at the end of the day, I think it's more fun to be driving KITT in a souped up LA town than everyday California in the 80's, which I wouldn't mind either. What I'm saying is, calm down, the focus of the game was not entirely Knight Rider, there are other licensed characters in the game to be focused on, so don't go criticizing the accuracy of Knight Rider in LEGO Dimensions like Davilex made a new Knight Rider or something. Completely shred LEGO in that post of yours man, have you been playing Knight Rider the Game again or something?

Matthew
Site Administrator

Post by Matthew » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:18 pm

Branching out a little into LEGO itself, have you guys seen some of the stuff that's out there? I mean, there's one guy who built a close to perfect replica of the Rubber Duck's Mack truck from Convoy, and it got him a job. If that weren't impressive enough though, there are some guys who can create just as accurate models in micro scale. Take this guy's Mad Max collection. His Razor Cola Interceptor is insane.

Matt

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:40 pm

How true. It is nice to see that Lego remembers. ;-D

Matthew
Site Administrator

Post by Matthew » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:56 pm

Definitely. I mean, to this day, I still think this is one of the best versions of KITT I've seen on the ideas website. Couple that with the Michael Knight from Dimensions, and you've got a great and affordable little set that could easily be built upon with other similar nostalgic releases like the DeLorean. If Dimensions tells us anything, it's that the licenses are attainable.

Matt

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:07 pm

Ages 7-14 pfft..... lol I'm NEVER growing up! But I would buy the heck out of that one Mathew wish they would make it. The mini fig is the most awesome part of the lego dimensions kit, KITT himself doesn't leave much to be desired in that mini scale lol

OKC KNIGHT
Operative

Post by OKC KNIGHT » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:53 am

Voice actor credits online say William Daniels is the voice of KITT in Lego Dimensions

Dave
Specializing in 1982-1992 Firebird/Trans Am Parts since 2002 and the ONLY seller of High Quality KITT Taillight blackouts

My contact Dmcman108@yahoo.com

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Post by Assasinge » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:21 am

Thanks Dave! In other LEGO talk, I saw someone had built an entire lego set of Knight Rider online somewhere and put it on LEGO to be made into an actual set to be sold online. I even posted the link here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19730

Unfortunately doesn't seem to have made it very far, disappointingly. Guess we need more people on this board who were active enough to actually vote for it. Where else would I expect for this to pass through other than KRO anyway? :/