Are some episodes missing scenes on the DVD/Blu-Ray?

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

vnisanian2001
Volunteer
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Are some episodes missing scenes on the DVD/Blu-Ray?

Post by vnisanian2001 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:30 pm

Of all the episodes, at least a handful of them have abnormally short running times. I wonder if anyone has the original broadcasts of these episodes to confirm if they're cut on DVD/Blu-Ray?

"Slammin' Sammy's Stunt Show Spectacular"
"No Big Thing"
"Trust Doesn't Rust"
"Hearts of Stone"
"Silent Knight"
"Custom Made Killer"
"Knight and Knerd"

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Re: Are some episodes missing scenes on the DVD/Blu-Ray?

Post by Assasinge » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:42 am

Is this about the new one? I saw a set in BJ's and refrained from picking it up due to the large number of errors and complaints about it. Also, aren't there enough threads concerning the blu-ray dvd release?

vnisanian2001
Volunteer

Post by vnisanian2001 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:20 am

This is about all the ones since 2004. I made a separate thread, because my post got lost in the shuffle.

snafu
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by snafu » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:11 pm

To answer your question, without digging up any of the old threads, I think some of the cuts from the episodes are because they play copyrighted song clips, and it was easier just to cut the film footage than to contact the recording artist.
I remember acutely in (I think!) Kitt vs Karr it was "Self Control" by Laura Branigan. Sadly, Laura is no longer with us, so I can see why it would be easier for them to just clip the footage...
Heaven, where all QC only has to be run once.

vnisanian2001
Volunteer

Post by vnisanian2001 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:24 pm

snafu wrote: I remember acutely in (I think!) Kitt vs Karr it was "Self Control" by Laura Branigan. Sadly, Laura is no longer with us, so I can see why it would be easier for them to just clip the footage...
That song's still there in this episode.

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Post by Assasinge » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:17 am

Yeah, the song is still there when the dude pops in the cassette in KARR and the song then starts. If I remember.

82kitt
Volunteer

Post by 82kitt » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:32 pm

:kitt: it would seem that season 3 opener "Knight of the Drones" is the same as the syndicated version-two seperate episodes with shortened running time on the new Mill Creek Blu ray release.I watched this last night and then pulled out my universal dvd set-the nice opening sequence with Michael and K.i.t.t. driving before switching to the prison is missing-the scene where Michael and K.i.t.t. are chasing the remote control Ford Thunderbird has missing scenes-it would seem as if Mill Creek was provided the syndication version of this episode.I seem to remember also in season one episodes some of the songs were replaced with music-in season 2 I remember Melloncamp's "Crumblin Down was replaced with new music except for one short scene where the dj actually announced it by name.if you want to see Knight Rider t.o.s in hd then the Blu rays from Mill Creek are very nice-you can see the texture and pattern in the parrella cloth on the seats and door panels-but if you can survive no extra features and missing songs/scenes then I would recomend it just for the hd-I assume that anybody who has the universal dvd sets will probably hang on to them anyway.

wazh
Volunteer

Post by wazh » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:34 am

Also noticed that the syndicated version of Knight of the Juggernaut is on the Blu-Ray as well so I suspect there have been weird cuts go on in that episode. Why change from the original DVD versions I don't know back to the syndicated ones.. grrrr

Scott Kirkessner
FLAG Recruit

Post by Scott Kirkessner » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:12 pm

Actually the original version of Knight of the Juggernaut is intact on the new releases. The only non-broadcast ep seems to be Knight of the Drones

wazh
Volunteer

Post by wazh » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:00 pm

Hang on. The Blu-Ray has it split into 2 parts and removed the teaser from the start of the episode with Edward Mulhare announcing the 2 Hour season premiere. Mind you this is the UK Blu-Ray as well. But I was presuming they are all the same as they come from the same source.

nickeeg
Volunteer

Post by nickeeg » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:48 pm

wazh wrote:Hang on. The Blu-Ray has it split into 2 parts and removed the teaser from the start of the episode with Edward Mulhare announcing the 2 Hour season premiere. Mind you this is the UK Blu-Ray as well. But I was presuming they are all the same as they come from the same source.
The UK Blu-Ray set features 2 part versions of all the movie length episodes.
However, if you send the discs off to the distributor, they will send replacement versions with the movie length episodes. Also more recent pressings of the set have the movie length versions, so you may be lucky if you buy it now :)

Nick

james olden
FLAG Recruit

Post by james olden » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:19 pm

I bought the first release of all four seasons of kr (it had all episodes)
I remember when TOS was on Netflix It was missing season 3 episode Dead Of Knight
On the Quest for filling in the gaps from right after after Scent of Roses 1986- Knight Rider 2008

wazh
Volunteer

Post by wazh » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:36 pm

I did actually write to my local station about this years ago. This was the response they gave me

Unfortunately Dead of Knight, which was originally part of season 3 is no longer available to licence due to legal music restrictions. This happens occasionally with older programming as the contracts and rights change over time.