Knight Rider on Blu Ray Review Thread

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Knight Rider on Blu Ray Review Thread

Post by spyhunter » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:30 pm

kngtmat wrote:This Blu-Ray has the show remastered by Universal that all releases around the world for Blu-Ray would or should have including Japan. Also it had nothing to do with Mill Creek being too cheap to pay for the episodes to put on the discs to be as they originally aired. Universal restored Knight Rider mainly for channels and streaming services not for Blu-Ray and Universal most likely didn't put them as they were when they originally aired as both are only an after thought for older shows so Mill creek should get no blame for Universal's work.

Here some of the caps the Blu-Ray site has and if you want to see the rest go to the link I posted before then right click them into a new tab. There are no TV logos on the Blu-ray as can be seen in the caps.
Do you work for Mill Creek or something? I think it's clearly Mill Creek being lazy ass bastards and using a sloppy ass copy off the street to develop their blu-ray master from... Mill Creek is renowned for doing this to the classics, get over it and buy something else already...

Are you blind, Mill Creek stated in the email, "the original masters were not available to us."

The Japanese release and the original dvd releases back in the early 2000s were both officially released by Universal hence the complete content...

SH

jeremy223
Rookie

Post by jeremy223 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:46 pm

kngtmat is correct. I was really hoping this set would be what we all wanted, but I can't be mad at Mill Creek because they have to work with what they are given. The email was correct that they didn't have the original masters. All they had was these remastered versions supplied by Universal. Knight Rider has never been released complete by anyone.
Last edited by jeremy223 on Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

kngtmat
Recruit

Post by kngtmat » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:24 am

No I don't work for them and neither would they want me to work for them. But I know they had nothing to do with this other than putting it on Blu-Ray because Universal in the US doesn't want to do it.

Are you blind, Mill Creek stated in the email, "the original masters were not available to us."
Being that I have been on a Blu-Ray forum for a few years I learned a small bit about some things. What Mill Creek was saying means Universal didn't give them the film masters for Mill Creek to restore themselves and put on disc. It means that Universal did the remaster themselves from the film masters who then gave them the whole series in big digital files of the scans like Universal would use for their own disc manufactures which is the same thing Universal did with streaming services & TV channels.

It took Universal years to do the restoration like they did with Miami Vice and that the new Quantum Leap Blu-Ray complete series was as well or like 20th Century Fox did with the X-Files that were done a few years before the BD was announced. The new Quantum Leap Complete series BD which according to Mill Creek a vast majority of Quantum Leap's music is back on episodes that were missing on the old DVD's which Mill Creek couldn't afford to do themselves so it shows again that Universal did the restorations & music and then sold new disc rights to Mill Creek.

Other companies do this as well like Twilight Time who had some of my favorite films like John Carpenter's Christine once & Fright Night twice who got the 4K scans from Sony that Sony did the remasters themselves years before. Shout/Scream Factory does it this way too unless they know for sure the movie would be a best seller like Army Of Darkness or the new Firestarter Collector's Edition are a few deemed for them to spend the money on.

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Assasinge » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:54 am

bump

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:26 pm

Blame who you want, but if any release after the original Universal DVDs are not as least as good as those releases then why bother unless you are a scum sucker of a company, which I know Mill Creek is, just look at any release they have made, lackluster at best.

There is an argument that it is refreshing it for a new generation, but no store will carry these releases, heck it was even hard to find the previous Univeral DVDs on the shelf. Especially the complete DVD set with the light up scanner in the box. Merchants are going to pass everytime.

What pisses me off is that there is no HD streaming version like everything else these days. I mean I love Blu-ray, but it would get into way more homes and make way more money if they were to allow it to stream in HD, not just SD which can be found scarcely... I have the same gripe about The Equalizer, only on disc. The entertainment biz needs to get over these god awful music rights that hold most of this stuff up, go overseas and they could give a @&^# about the rights...

How dare Japan have the ultimate Knight collection and Universal *?$# on us here in the show's home country...
SH

PS - Merry XMAS!

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:00 pm

I am still lost on what you guys are saying, why would Universal give Mill Creek edited versions? Ones that are not even as complete as what they put out on dvd 10+ years ago?

I could accept that they did this maybe if the Japan edition didn't exist and wasn't complete itself!

The only thing basically missing from the Japan release besides the teasers is the proper Season 3 intro, but that was probably lost a long time ago, and I realize most of you can't comment on it, but there is not a more complete set possible than what Japan has, I do not believe... And all it is is the exact same thing we have on our original Universal dvds with better picture quality due to blu-ray.

SH

vnisanian2001
Volunteer

Post by vnisanian2001 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:14 pm

Also missing is the second half of season two intro, but I have no idea when exactly that started.

And I understand the season 3 premiere intro was seen on Sleuth.

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:46 pm

oh season 2 changed mid season??

i believe the columbia house vhs had season 3 correct now that i think of it...

vnisanian2001
Volunteer

Post by vnisanian2001 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:58 pm

Only a couple of shots were changed in the new season 2 intro, so unless you paid careful attention to the two variations, you would have never noticed the difference.

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Post by Assasinge » Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:37 pm

I don't understand how this pathetic mess happened in the first place?

WittgenTT5/Rstein
Operative

Post by WittgenTT5/Rstein » Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:45 pm

Assasinge wrote:I don't understand how this pathetic mess happened in the first place?
Money.
Rstein, the supercomputer on wheels.

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Post by Assasinge » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:06 pm

Is the root of all evil...I get it.

namco
Stranger

Post by namco » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:26 am

are they actually uncut, so it Knight of The Phoenix, Goliath, Goliath Returns, Mouth of the Snake, Knight of The Drones and Knight of the juggarnauts in their original 1hr 30 minute format or are they part 1 and 2, if they are then your set is cut, I have the original versions uncut from original broadcast which means all of the above episodes are feature length

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Post by Assasinge » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:27 pm

I'm pretty sure Knight of the Drones is syndicated. I can't comment on anything else.