Best Version of knight Rider to get

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

dbz198921
Stranger
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Best Version of knight Rider to get

Post by dbz198921 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:55 pm

what is the best version of knight rider to get the original Knight Rider: The Complete Series DVD from 2008 or the new one Blu ray by Mill Creek?

which one of those have most the original music intact I just found out there some music not intact. I grow up watching the reruns in the early 90s.

what episodes from the 4 seasons is missing the original music is there get those with the original audio intact? hopefully some can help me :kitt:

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Re: Best Version of knight Rider to get

Post by jup » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:34 am

I haven't had a chance to see how the Blu-Ray's came out. Alas, I tend to imagine that they are going to also be missing some of the music.

The reason for this is that back in the day, Knight Rider was going with a 'modern trend' of playing the then top hits music. It was a big action show with a relatively big budget and could afford the rights. However, by the time the DVD season sets came out, some of the artists or their recording studios had a change of heart and became really greedy or would just flat out refuse. And the makers of these season DVD sets are still out to make a profit. So...if a particular artist/studio demands ten thousand or fifty thousand for the rights to let one piece of music be used in a production class DVD...it's understandable that the sacrifice had to be made.

Now, if memory serves, I also heard that some of the DVD's had other audio screw ups that are most assuredly not money based. Hopefully, the Blu-Rays would have all the audio correctly established. Alas, I don't really know for sure.

I'm not sure if there's another factor to consider or not. Alas, I recently had a chance to see another one of Glen A. Larson's TV series shows named Automan, which is like one part KR, two parts Tron, one part comic book and another part something else. It went crazy with the trendy music of the day. I mean it was like they were on some kind of dare to stuff as much music in as they could get away with. This DVD set couldn't have expected to get a fraction of the purchases of a KR set. Yet, they seemed to have no issues with getting the music in there. Maybe, they were cover bands or something? Or maybe it had to do with the country the DVD's were coming from. I'm not sure in the least. With the amount of music they were using, it would seem like the rights would have blown the budget. Dare I say that if KR had tried to stuff so much music in, it would be like Michael blasting the FM during every driving scene. (Which he rarely did. I'm already recalling maybe four to five times. And there's probably a few more. Depends on if you count those opening scenes when we see KITT from the outside as the song of the week plays. Is that suppose to be through the FM speakers or just coming from nowhere at all???)

I'm not sure just how much they can do to the audio tracks. After all, this was an early 80's TV series. I do believe it was pushing for stereo...which was a bit luxurious for those days. You can go amazingly far with stereo. Alas, it's hard to make true 5.1 from a 2.0 source.

Same for the video. I've no idea just how much visual quality one can pull from the source that the Blu-Ray can really capture. If the price is comparable to the DVD sets, sure. Why not? Alas, if they are demanding a premium price, I'd do some more homework before plopping down the extra cash. Maybe someone went over the frames with a fine toothed comb and enhanced the colors and sharpened the image. Alas, this isn't Star Wars, where it was certain that a million dollar investment (or whatever the real cost was.) to revive fading film stock would bring in billions over the next few lifetimes. Because, let's face it. Many people of these newer generations wouldn't know the name Michael Knight. But, say Darth Vader...

BTW: There is another thread that has been discussing this topic over the last couple months that you may want to check out.

jyd85
Operative

Post by jyd85 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:23 pm

I can only speak to the music and sound issues in The Complete Collection.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death – Hurts So Good. Replaced with generic music. (The song is there in the Season 1 DVD set released in the early 2000's.)

White Line Warriors – Little Red Corvette. Replaced with generic music.

Dead of Knight – When Doves Cry. The song was just taken out and there's no music in the scene. (I have yet to see this episode be available in syndication. (At least where I live.) So it doesn't bother me as much. I'm just happy to have the episode at all.)

Knight of the Drones – Pretty sure the song was Little Red Corvette. Received the same treatment as Dead of Knight.

None of these changes ruin the scenes, though it's amusing to see people dancing to no music. Compared to the music changes other shows like Quantum Leap received, KR got off lucky.

Most of the audio issues that were in the first set of DVD releases were fixed in The Complete Collection. The only one that really stands out to me is the sound of the boat's engine in Knight of the Juggernaut.

Just me personally? I think buying the KR Complete Collection is one of the best fandom investments I ever made. It has just about everything that I was looking for. Maybe the Blu ray set has bells and whistles and improved content and visuals that other fans are looking for as well, and to them it makes up for any missing music. Nothing wrong with that, but I'm more than content with the set that I currently own. It comes down to personal preference.

Hopefully those who own both will be able to answer which is better and what issues the new one has. Good luck! :)
If you'd be so kind as to put me down.

Down?

My dear, I'm a car. Not a plane.

vnisanian2001
Volunteer

Post by vnisanian2001 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:23 pm

Also, I suspect some episodes may be a little shorter than the way they originally aired on NBC. "Knight of the Drones" is definitely shorter on the Blu-Ray. It is the two-part Syndicated version, and not the two-hour feature version.

The following regular episodes all run shorter than normal, and I do not know if they were like that originally, or if they are definitely edited. If anyone has the original NBC broadcasts, please confirm:

"Slammin' Sammy's Stunt Show Spectacular"
"No Big Thing"
"Trust Doesn't Rust"
"Hearts of Stone"
"Silent Knight"
"Custom Made Killer"
"Knight and Knerd"

BTW, this is my first post here.

dbz198921
Stranger

Post by dbz198921 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:29 pm

/
jyd85 wrote:I can only speak to the music and sound issues in The Complete Collection.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death – Hurts So Good. Replaced with generic music. (The song is there in the Season 1 DVD set released in the early 2000's.)

White Line Warriors – Little Red Corvette. Replaced with generic music.

Dead of Knight – When Doves Cry. The song was just taken out and there's no music in the scene. (I have yet to see this episode be available in syndication. (At least where I live.) So it doesn't bother me as much. I'm just happy to have the episode at all.)

Knight of the Drones – Pretty sure the song was Little Red Corvette. Received the same treatment as Dead of Knight.

None of these changes ruin the scenes, though it's amusing to see people dancing to no music. Compared to the music changes other shows like Quantum Leap received, KR got off lucky.

Most of the audio issues that were in the first set of DVD releases were fixed in The Complete Collection. The only one that really stands out to me is the sound of the boat's engine in Knight of the Juggernaut.

Just me personally? I think buying the KR Complete Collection is one of the best fandom investments I ever made. It has just about everything that I was looking for. Maybe the Blu ray set has bells and whistles and improved content and visuals that other fans are looking for as well, and to them it makes up for any missing music. Nothing wrong with that, but I'm more than content with the set that I currently own. It comes down to personal preference.

Hopefully those who own both will be able to answer which is better and what issues the new one has. Good luck! :)
is this collection your talking Knight Rider - The Complete Series (DVD, 2008, 24-Disc Set) or the newer one from mil creak?

vnisanian2001
Volunteer

Post by vnisanian2001 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:48 am

Just discovered that Netflix kept Little Red Corvette, but not When Doves Cry. So Prince was okay with Netflix keeping the former, but not the latter. Go figure.

jeremy223
Rookie

Post by jeremy223 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:42 pm

As I recall, Little Red Corvette was in White Line Warriors but not Knight of the Drones on Netflix.