Fast & Furious Franchise Director Justin Lin's Knight Rider Web Series Reboot

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

blowersho
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Fast & Furious Franchise Director Justin Lin's Knight Rider Web Series Reboot

Post by blowersho » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:40 pm

RicardoRibeiro2000
Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Justin Lin who directed Fast and Furious is going to do a Reboot of Knight Rider as a web series!!!!!

Post by RicardoRibeiro2000 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:35 pm

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Re: Justin Lin who directed Fast and Furious is going to do a Reboot of Knight Rider as a web series!!!!!

Post by Assasinge » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:26 pm

OMG THATS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! Wow, 2 posts on the same topic. God bless you Justin for bringing us what we've wanted for all this time! God Bless!

james olden
FLAG Recruit

Re: Justin Lin who directed Fast and Furious is going to do a Reboot of Knight Rider as a web series!!!!!

Post by james olden » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:52 am

It's about time..
Now if it's another sequel to the original series there's things need to be done

1.Include David hasslelhoff as Michael knight we need him as a mentor (a Devon miles character) and recurring main character.

2.fill in the gaps from what happened to flag (ki2t,Bonnie Barstow,rc3) after 1986 (scent of roses) to today

3.the new kitt must be a 2 door all American muscle car.
On the Quest for filling in the gaps from right after after Scent of Roses 1986- Knight Rider 2008

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:29 am

Sorry, James. This article has literally screamed 'REBOOT' almost half a dozen times. We 'probably' will get a character named Michael Knight and a car named Kitt. Alas, no idea if David will even be allowed to co-star or even visit. A reboot will most certainly pave over any history and do what it wants from the get go. And they better get the car right.

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Post by Assasinge » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:58 am

It certainly is about time that this happened, however let's hope that the classic 08' disaster doesn't occur again. Wasn't GST the director of Fast and Furious or something like that? If Justin over here turns KITT into a transforming lamborghini now, might as well throw out my TV. Let's hope for the best and maybe William Daniels might return! Never really know with all this legal bs today anyway.

Matthew
Site Administrator

Post by Matthew » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:33 pm

Here's a question I started asking myself yesterday after first finding out about this news. How would you guys feel if this was set in the 80's, building a new continuity using the main characters in a similar way to the new Star Trek films, where Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto and Karl Urban play the characters of Kirk, Spock and McCoy, but aren't beholden to the way William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy and DeForest Kelley played them?

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Post by Assasinge » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:20 pm

I actually just had a quick question, the article says KR will be a digital series, what does that mean? Like a animated series, or some sort of cartoon?

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Knight rider reboot

Post by Knight Racer » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:21 pm

Matthew
Site Administrator

Re: Fast & Furious Franchise Director Justin Lin's Knight Rider Web Series Reboot

Post by Matthew » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:59 pm

Assasinge wrote:I actually just had a quick question, the article says KR will be a digital series, what does that mean? Like a animated series, or some sort of cartoon?
Nah, it means it's premier will be online through Machinima. :good:

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Re: Fast & Furious Franchise Director Justin Lin's Knight Rider Web Series Reboot

Post by Assasinge » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:06 pm

Well I'm assuming the Trans Am simply isn't coming back, right? I seriously hope they actually know what they're doing with this one. Like, seriously. And something that scares me more is that Justin is the director of Fast and Furious, so he better not screw up KITT with some crappy souped up Camaro looking body or something.

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit

Post by KFCreator » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:45 pm

I think there are several things we can safely assume about this new incarnation: 1) It will almost certainly be a reboot in the truest sense of the word. Probably will be called Knight Rider in name, will feature characters named KITT, Michael, Devon, Bonnie, etc, but I agree with jup, it will probably start fresh as far as the timeline goes, 2) KITT will almost certainly not be a Trans Am, mainly because while it's a beloved 80's car to us fans, it is not modern anymore and there are plenty of cars today to base his new form off of, 3) Hasselhoff may have a cameo, but that's probably as far as his involvement would go, if he has any at all.

I really liked what Justin Lin did with the Star Trek Beyond film and while I haven't seen any of the Fast & Furious films so far, I think it's safe to say that he's one of the best picks they could have chosen to do this new digital reboot.

And while I was super excited to hear about this announcement yesterday and can't wait to see what they have up their sleeves, I also had to breathe a sigh of relief at the description of it being a reboot as it means that it's one less thing I'll have to take into account when trying to fit everything together for my Knight Rider Generations novel (and the other one I'm working on that will wrap up the classic series properly too).
"One man can make a difference. You can make a difference in someone else's life. You can make a difference in your own life." -- David Hasselhoff

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit

Post by KFCreator » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:50 pm

Also, funny how just several weeks back there were a bunch of people here on the board lamenting how Knight Rider was "dead" and then this comes along. This is why I have never given (and will never give) up the faith that no matter what, Knight Rider will always make a comeback in some form or fashion. And in between those lulls when there is nothing new screen-wise, that's why we have this forum, fan fiction, fan games, merchandise, etc to always look forward to.
"One man can make a difference. You can make a difference in someone else's life. You can make a difference in your own life." -- David Hasselhoff

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Post by Assasinge » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:46 am

True dat KFCreator, but I don't think this reboot is a 100% confirmed yet, right? Hopefully any legal issues wont ruin this one. Also, do you think as old as William Daniels is, he might voice KITT? They could probably edit his voice to sound more like it did back then.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:06 am

I think since it's a reboot, they wouldn't use any of the original series including actors, old car, etc. This is their opportunity to tell the story their way with a new generation. If anything, they might just cast a voice actor that might sound like Kitt. But this is only a guess.

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:36 am

KFCreator wrote:Also, funny how just several weeks back there were a bunch of people here on the board lamenting how Knight Rider was "dead" and then this comes along.
I do believe that if I were to review my own words on that issue, there would be something along the lines about a revival working if it was anything like the Fast & Furious series. After all, those movies are all about the high action stunts with a plot holding it together like glue. And, I tend to think the '08 series might have been lacking in one category; the action. It seemed to have substituted character conversations and even kinky sex teases over having the car do stunts. (And they had CG at their command, too. That car could have danced like Fred Astaire.)

Of course, that places an interesting question at hand. How much CG did Fast & Furious ever rely on? Right off hand, I can't remember it ever being mentioned. But, I do have hazy memories of them doing real stunts with real scenes. Which could boast really well for this planned series...IF they have the budgeting for it. We've come a long way since CG dinosaurs ate millions. (And was worth every cent.) Why, bargain basement CG can save super budget films when operated in the right hands, these days. Still, I'm feeling hopeful for real stunts (At least 90% of the time) and lots of them.

Edit: Yes. I thought I had remembered that correctly. Just copy it in to here...
jup wrote:But Knight Rider at it's core was about more then the science. It was about the mystery of the week. The raw action. And the stunts. Why does The Fast and The Furious series of movies have an 8 in the title? (And number 8 broke all franchise records, to boot.) Because that level of action...believable action and harsh, adrenaline pumping stunts helps drive a strong plot. And this is what the original series did a ton of. When they jumped cars, they literally jumped them. When someone stood on a hood at 60 MPH, that was real. What's considered the weakest original episode? Poo-Poo Knight...or the series ending episode. Why? It really had no actions or stunts to speak of. And the strong starting pilot? Heck. They put their brand new car into a demolition derby as a mid-way plot ploy! We may be getting numb to how advanced computers have become and the conveniences of life that were brand new in the 80s KR reality. But, believable action and a strong plot are still big budget tickets in this day and age. Let's face it. Siri inside a Google Car isn't going to be driving 110 MPH with a person standing on the hood, trying to match speeds with a renegade semi, packed with explosives to cause serious damage to downtown Wherever. But 21'st century Kitt is. Give it a strong plot and gritty, believable action and the formula can still stand to this day. But it must be given to the right hands. Action in the wrong hands can just be disastrous.

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Post by Assasinge » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:17 am

The last line certainly is correct. It must be given to the right hands. *cough* GST *cough*

tharpdevenport
Operative

Post by tharpdevenport » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:29 pm

Just Lin, huh? That's the kiss of death for it as far as I am concered.

They just can't do right by KR, can they?
And when things appeared to get better, they got worse, and everyday was a day to cry.

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Post by Assasinge » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:17 pm

tharpdevenport wrote:They just can't do right by KR, can they?
Pretty sure that's what everyone here is concerned about. But to be honest, though I am excited for this, I think I've lost almost any hope of KR reboots. Watch them rewrite everything again and mess everything up again next year. Seriously.

snafu
FLAG Recruit

Post by snafu » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:36 pm

I've never seen the movies. I really watch a select few movies at all.

I had a medical procedure today, and had to wait in the hospital watching...wait for it... House Hunters.
Please, put something on TV or internet somewhere that's not House Hunters, Honey Boo Boo, some family with 2.5 dozen kids, or a bunch of rednecks out in the woods.
I think we're all being a tad picky about a KR reboot. Consider television at large. It's going down the (ha) tubes.
Heaven, where all QC only has to be run once.

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Post by Assasinge » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:56 am

Well she does have a point. Lol, id rather watch KR 08 over Honey Boo Boo.

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit

Post by KFCreator » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:47 pm

I'm optimistic that Justin Lin will learn from the previous mistakes that previous Knight Rider continuations have gone through. But as flawed as all of them were, they all did have something to enjoy about them too. I was nervous about him helming Star Trek Beyond but it turned out to be a really good movie overall, and he had no prior experience working on any Star Trek series or movie before that, which is why I have faith that he will do a decent job with this reboot. And again, if he goes the total reboot route, he'll have the creative freedom to do pretty much whatever the hell he wants, but I think he knows there are the hardcore fans like us and he will try to listen to what we have to say.

james olden
FLAG Recruit

Post by james olden » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:12 pm

Assasinge wrote:It certainly is about time that this happened, however let's hope that the classic 08' disaster doesn't occur again. Wasn't GST the director of Fast and Furious or something like that? If Justin over here turns KITT into a transforming lamborghini now, might as well throw out my TV. Let's hope for the best and maybe William Daniels might return! Never really know with all this legal bs today anyway.

If they completely reboot it that's fine I'm just happy it's going to be back on tv !!Just as long as they stick with kitt being a all American muscle Car. And it's not a silly spoof lol.

But hey I got a question because we all know Pontiac is out of business now for almost a decade do you guys think it's possible GM could work out a deal with universal and build a new Pontiac trans am just for the new series. Like how they recently built a new Smokey and the bandit limited edition trans am ?
On the Quest for filling in the gaps from right after after Scent of Roses 1986- Knight Rider 2008

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Post by Assasinge » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:50 pm

james olden wrote:But hey I got a question because we all know Pontiac is out of business now for almost a decade do you guys think it's possible GM could work out a deal with universal and build a new Pontiac trans am just for the new series. Like how they recently built a new Smokey and the bandit limited edition trans am ?
Remember KR 2000? And how they couldn't use the Trans Am for some reason even while Pontiac was still in business? There you go.

Kitt_24
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kitt_24 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:16 pm

james olden wrote:
Assasinge wrote:It certainly is about time that this happened, however let's hope that the classic 08' disaster doesn't occur again. Wasn't GST the director of Fast and Furious or something like that? If Justin over here turns KITT into a transforming lamborghini now, might as well throw out my TV. Let's hope for the best and maybe William Daniels might return! Never really know with all this legal bs today anyway.

If they completely reboot it that's fine I'm just happy it's going to be back on tv !!Just as long as they stick with kitt being a all American muscle Car. And it's not a silly spoof lol.

But hey I got a question because we all know Pontiac is out of business now for almost a decade do you guys think it's possible GM could work out a deal with universal and build a new Pontiac trans am just for the new series. Like how they recently built a new Smokey and the bandit limited edition trans am ?
I hope they use the real kitt car 82-92 trans am. It's like dukes of hazzard the general lee is a 69 charger no other car can be the general lee.