Knight Rider on Blu Ray

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Knight Rider on Blu Ray

Post by Knight Racer » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:05 pm

Knight Rider is finally going to be released on Blu Ray. What's the catch you ask? It's only $600 and in Japanese. amazon.com says it has an audio mono channel in English but who can really tell. I've had issues where a Terminator film was supposed to be special edition listed but the box art showed regular version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD2o3zbyy_c

My favorite moments in the youtube clip was when Michael usually says whooo it's replaced with Yoohoo. Maybe he wanted a chocolate drink. I also liked how he called for kitt in the Just My bill footage and he sounds like he's angrily asking the waitress for the restroom, emergency crisis mode (might be a photo finish).

Don't feel the video quality is much higher than the Netflix version streaming well you can always get the kr2008 version on Blu Ray.

Same catch in Japanese and only $320 for the one season. For these prices you expect to find a piece of kitt in the package.

http://www.amazon.com/Knight-Rider-Next ... er+blu+ray

jeremy223
Rookie

Re: Knight Rider on Blu Ray

Post by jeremy223 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:17 pm

I've been interested in this too. If anyone has this set, can you confirm if any of the music that was cut from the dvds has been restored and if the 2 season 4 teasers have been restored?

Knight Rider 2008 is available in HD from Amazon as digital downloads if interested.
The original Knight Rider is available in HD from Google Play except for Dead of Knight which is also missing from Netflix because of music rights. I'm not sure, but I think Google Play, Netflix and the blu rays are using the same HD master.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:58 am

Not sure you'll get too many replies about a series available in hd on Netflix streaming which is even higher quality than my DVD single season sets. Then there are the people who have the complete box set. Paying $600 for a set that probably doesn't have any special features at all to me is a waste considering all the other sets out there. Then again I do have the original Peter Weller Robocop on 2 dvd versions ( one 25th year anniversary edition), blu ray trilogy, and the new new 4k blu ray.

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:56 pm

How about the missing sound effects in Season 3, have those been fixed? I remember some talk that in US region there was a DVD version with fixed sound effects but they never fixed them for European DVD's, I know because I've wasted money on several versions of Knight Rider S3 DVD boxes by now, hoping that the SFX would've been fixed when they have just updated the box covers.

jeremy223
Rookie

Post by jeremy223 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:02 am

I had forgotten about the missing sound effects since they released a corrected season 3 here. They were also correct in the complete series boxset that was released later. Maybe the European complete boxset has the correct sounds. Also just remembered the problem with season 4's opening credits being majorly cropped. It seems like after season 2's release they just didn't care anymore.

jeremy223
Rookie

Post by jeremy223 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:34 pm

Knight Racer wrote:Not sure you'll get too many replies about a series available in hd on Netflix streaming which is even higher quality than my DVD single season sets.
As of today, Knight Rider is no longer on Netflix streaming. At least in the US.

OKC KNIGHT
Operative

Post by OKC KNIGHT » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:59 am

jeremy223 wrote:
Knight Racer wrote:Not sure you'll get too many replies about a series available in hd on Netflix streaming which is even higher quality than my DVD single season sets.
As of today, Knight Rider is no longer on Netflix streaming. At least in the US.

Yup was watching "Halloween Knight" on Netflix Tuesday and now it's gone :roll:

Dave
Specializing in 1982-1992 Firebird/Trans Am Parts since 2002 and the ONLY seller of High Quality KITT Taillight blackouts

My contact Dmcman108@yahoo.com

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative

Post by Joe Huth » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:31 am

I have the Blu Ray set.....the picture quality is vastly superior to the DVD set. The default audio track is Japanese, but you can easily switch it to English. There are no teasers at the start of each episode and the music cuts are the same, i believe, as the DVD release.

Joe
Knight Rider Historian - visit my website: http://www.KnightRiderHistorians.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Co-author of Knight Rider Legacy

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:08 pm

Did they fail to put Season 4 in stereo sound again?

SH

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:25 pm

Knight Racer wrote:Same catch in Japanese and only $320 for the one season. For these prices you expect to find a piece of kitt in the package.
Too funny!

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:56 am

Stereo sound yes or no?

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:42 pm

Is it even possible to split up sound from an original mono track? Wouldn't they have to quite literally rebuild all the sound effects from the ground up to pull it off? And, would we really want that?

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:46 pm

I was just talking about Season 4, originally broadcast in Stereo, yet Universal neglected putting it on the DVD, have they fixed this for the Blu-ray?

SH

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:25 pm

I never even realized that any TV stations were broadcasting in stereo at any point in the '80s. Always thought of that as being more of a '90s upgrade.

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:17 am

It would be interesting to know the history, but I'm sure MTV was a huge influence on it as it was broadcast in stereo by the cable company around mid-80s if not earlier? I remember because most TVs were not stereo, you had to split your cable up to your FM receiver as they alternatively pushed the stereo track to a special FM frequency, it was crazy cool at the time!

I had purchased a Pioneer rack system from Sears as an upgrade to my super cheap plastic little stereo and when I couldn't get the MTV signal to come through clearly, I took the whole dern thing back to the store and the Sears people just scratched their heads... I got to return it and order a Sony rack system that played it perfectly! Man those were the days... Miss MTV so much! It sucks that with all the digital crap these days, there is no way to relive the MTV days other than piss poor sounding recordings found on youtube... Most of the videos are kept under lock and key by the music companies...

SH

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:51 pm

Joe Huth wrote:I have the Blu Ray set.....the picture quality is vastly superior to the DVD set. The default audio track is Japanese, but you can easily switch it to English. There are no teasers at the start of each episode and the music cuts are the same, i believe, as the DVD release.

Joe
I've never understood how this happens. Is it not just stock footage with the teasers intact as part of the episodes that is restored? It seems like the studio releasing it would have to go out of their way to remove them. I understand the score/soundtracks are a different issue entirely, though.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:31 pm

Still drooling over having the set on Blu-Ray, but who has $400+ to drop on it? Not me... Amazon resellers have it for around $375, anybody know of it any cheaper anywhere?

I don't understand why just about every place that you would expect Knight Rider to be broadcast, it is not. Such as MeTV, I've heard people say that it is there, but I have yet to find it there, apparently only played after midnight in certain territories.

Neither Netflix or Hulu have it, why not? Netflix did have it in HD for a short time I've read, but that's it. Hulu was recently just advertising that they have it in their commercials, but guess what, not there. Airwolf, but no KR, again why?

As for Amazon and Vudu, sure you can pay for the series, but only in standard definition :-(

I don't have cable/satellite, but I do not think there are any that have it currently broadcasting in HD? I guess because it is only a Universal Japan thing so far?

Universal HD would be a perfect avenue for it, and I do remember the first season in HD 10 years ago, but they dropped it shortly after, and I don't think it has returned. The best was the Equalizer in HD there as well, now it is strictly DVD for that series.

Anyway, I'm hoping that the price will come down into the 200-300 range for the set soon which is still steep, but at least a little more affordable. I'm guessing by the time I am able to drop the money for it, it will be released in it's home country.

SH

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:08 am

Cozi TV has it on at Tuesdays 9pm. It's I'm standard definition I think. You're right about the price. It's insanely expensive. Reminds me of the $750 samsung note 2 I bought. Wasn't foreign supposed to be cheaper to buy?
Oh wait, I'm thinking cheaper to make.

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:26 pm

Cozi is like watching it on VHS, extremely washed out...

So, I finally splurged for the Blu-Ray set and guess what, STILL NO SEASON 4 STEREO SOUND! How is this possible, how do they keep dodging this, I mean extensive time went into this set, how does the audio get fudged up over and over again with these releases? The picture is however pretty nice, and It is nice to have the Prince song back in Juggernaut, and I'm assuming all of the songs are in this Japanese release, again such a stupid copyright thing...

I'm assuming the new Mill Creek DVDs will be the same story with MONO sound, again why?

The funny thing is I remember Columbia House VHS tapes having stereo sound, so explain how lame this is, VHS sounds better than BLU-RAY? So ridiculous...

SH

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:30 pm

Can anybody report the quality of the Google Play releases of KR, is it straight from the DVDs? Someone had reported on a website that they may be HD? I know that stereo sound is probably not possible this day in age.

SH

jeremy223
Rookie

Post by jeremy223 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:38 pm

I've bought one episode from Google Play (White Line Warriors) to see if it had the Prince song intact. It didn't. You can buy SD episodes for $1.99 or HD versions for $2.99. Either way, they are the HD transfers that were just released on dvd from Mill Creek a month ago. One thing to note though is that Google Play has the 2 hour episodes divided into the 2 part edited syndicated versions.

GWADA.TYS
Rookie

Post by GWADA.TYS » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:09 pm

Why you don't wait for a US release ? 600$ for a BR box set it's just ridiculous !

I got the original box set, Sound is better in VO for the European version (I'm french) but I never seen a full episode in VO.

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:50 pm

Sorry, what is VO?

Jeremy are you sure the Google play transfers are from Mill Creek? Mill Creek doesn't have a HD release yet for Knight Rider. It appears they have only just released season 1 and 2 on DVD.

I just wish we could get Stereo sound somewhere, would give season 4 a very cool effect!

SH

GWADA.TYS
Rookie

Post by GWADA.TYS » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:47 pm

spyhunter wrote:Sorry, what is VO?
Version Originale in french... lol

jeremy223
Rookie

Post by jeremy223 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:04 pm

spyhunter wrote:
Jeremy are you sure the Google play transfers are from Mill Creek? Mill Creek doesn't have a HD release yet for Knight Rider. It appears they have only just released season 1 and 2 on DVD.

SH
The Google Play transfers are not from Mill Creek. Universal had new HD transfers made a few years ago. Google Play, Mill Creek, Netflix, basically anywhere you see Knight Rider in HD, are all using this same transfer. Even though Mill Creek is using the HD transfer, they did not put it out in an HD format.

There is at least one difference in the transfers that I noticed. I assume this change was because there are different rules for different formats. The Mill Creek dvd and all HD digital downloads of the episode White Line Warriors had the Prince song removed. However, the HD episode on Netflix did have the song.