Found this the other night...

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Found this the other night...

Post by jup » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:54 am

Found this the other night when letting YouTube auto select through some Adult Swim...

http://youtu.be/yBqOgtk1-Bo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A segment where Robot Chicken did a whole 2-plus minute skit about dreaming of a ride along in KITT...well, both of them. It's...a thing...I suppose.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Found this the other night...

Post by Knight Racer » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:10 am

That clip really sums up what was wrong with the remake. My favorite lines were:

Nerd "You're that crappy kitt from that crappy knight rider remake from a few crappy years ago."

Nerd "All you did in the pilot episode was drive extra fast. It was boring."

Ki3t "Hope you like ejector seats....BUZZ I don't seem to have an ejector seat."

Ki3t "Shall I turn into a pick up truck? I can do that."
Nerd "Wow, one of your amazing features is hauling cargo,"
Kitt "I can also turn from this kind of mustang into another kind of mustang."

At 2:12 you see ki2t almost have a head on collision with the Delorean from Back to the Future.

At 2:32, you see ki2t hump ki3t like the (bleep) he is.

The (bleep) you Val Kilmer was hilarious at the end. The part I didn't like was when the nerd said they would fight and kill their enemies since on the show they never killed criminals. I also didn't like how kitt was used to run down people on the streets but everything else in the clip was pretty funny. Knight Rider has been on Robot chicken I believe 2 or 3 times. One was a race with other celebrity cars and the other was a spoof on Ferris Bueler's Day Off.

DJGM
FLAG Assistant

Post by DJGM » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:00 pm

It wasn't a remake, it was a continuation of the original series set twenty something years later.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:43 pm

If you'll notice in the clip, the nerd says it was a remake. It's not like robot chicken skits are being checked over for accuracy.

DJGM
FLAG Assistant

Post by DJGM » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:59 pm

Knight Racer wrote: If you'll notice in the clip, the nerd says it was a remake . . .
You said it was a remake as well, so you made the same mistake as an animated blob of plasticine.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:51 pm

Do you know what a quote is? I'm being serious. When I used the " symbols it means i'm repeating what was used in the clip. Not that I believe what was portrayed in the video as accurate information.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:30 pm

I thought the segment was pretty harsh when it first came out (poor Val Kilmer!) but I have to say it's very funny. The montage of all the turbo boosts totally captures the way we think of the original series. And I think the nerd smashing his head saying "no no no no no no!" is pretty accurate about how a lot of people felt about the new series. I have to believe that this was written by someone who was a true fan of the original and not just someone thinking "maybe I'll write something about the new Knight Rider."
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Kitt_24
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kitt_24 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:07 pm

Thats was funny. Now they are right about one thing the show was crappy no matter what car they would have used. Now for the end kitt 2 doing kitt 3 just made both car gay LOOOOOOOOOOL
If there's any new movies or tv show down the road if they don't use the third gen trans am it will fail!
Well at least we got to see both kitts together lol

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:08 pm

Think about how much more they could poke fun of if they knew about team knight rider and knight rider 2000.

Here are few other clips I remember on robot chicken that had kitt in it.

This one was making fun of Ferris Bueler's day off...well partly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N7iaaa5ko4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The celebrity car race
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2LeETqAYtA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gives new meaning to the word turbo boost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRwNg7Lmn9s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:34 pm

How true, Knight Racer. Why, if the nerd had hit the dash of any TKR vehicle, it would have broken down. LOL. (I never get tired of laughing at that stupid fact.) And, KR 2000 has always been way over the top science fiction. A million directions to go with WTF scenes.

And, I am sure that it's such an obscure fact that the Robot Chicken people would have never latched onto. But, they missed a golden opportunity. And, by that, I mean to have had the nerd take a ride on the Knerd motorcycle from that one original series episode, aptly named Knight and Knerd.

DJGM
FLAG Assistant

Post by DJGM » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:05 pm

Knight Racer wrote: Do you know what a quote is? I'm being serious. When I used the " symbols it means i'm repeating what
was used in the clip. Not that I believe what was portrayed in the video as accurate information.
I know what a quote is.

The fact is, it wasn't just the nerd calling it a remake. You called it a remake as well, in your reply to jup.
Knight Racer wrote: That clip really sums up what was wrong with the remake . . .

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:22 pm

Ummm...guys. Even I would consider KR 2008 to be a remake. After all, KR 2000 and TKR tried to incorporate KITT into their story lines. So, it's not like the time line is all that clean to begin with. Because, I bet if this KR movie (in tribute to the late, great Glenn A Larson) comes to completion, that it won't be giving any references to the KR 2000, KR 2010, TKR -OR- KR '08 time lines.

Kitt_24
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kitt_24 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:32 pm

jup wrote:Ummm...guys. Even I would consider KR 2008 to be a remake. After all, KR 2000 and TKR tried to incorporate KITT into their story lines. So, it's not like the time line is all that clean to begin with. Because, I bet if this KR movie (in tribute to the late, great Glenn A Larson) comes to completion, that it won't be giving any references to the KR 2000, KR 2010, TKR -OR- KR '08 time lines.
If they remake it they better use the third gen trans am the real kitt. :kitt:

DJGM
FLAG Assistant

Post by DJGM » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:27 pm

jup wrote: Ummm...guys. Even I would consider KR 2008 to be a remake.
The 2008-09 series of Knight Rider was NOT a remake. It was a continuation of the original. If it was a remake,
the pilot would not have featured actual physical bits of the original KITT in the garage next to the new KITT.
It wouldn't have even referenced anything from the original series. Any remake of Knight Rider definitely
wouldn't have David Hassellhoff reprising his role as Michael Knight, albeit as a brief cameo.

Knight Rider 2008-09 was absolutely NOT a remake. That is an undeniabe fact. While the actual series that
came along after the pilot left a lot to be desired, it was still a continuation of the original right to the end
when they embarked on resurrecting the Foundation for Law And Government from the original series.
jup wrote: After all, KR 2000 and TKR tried to incorporate KITT into their story lines.
Both KR2000 and TKR were also attempts at continuations of the original storyline. KR2000 at least brought back
two key members of the (human) cast as well as the original KITT, even if he had been dismantled. While TKR
was an attempt at continuing the original series, but it went off in an entirely different direction. The only
way KITT was featured in that was his dormant CPU in a display case!
jup wrote: So, it's not like the time line is all that clean to begin with. Because, I bet if this KR movie (in tribute
to the late, great Glenn A Larson) comes to completion, that it won't be giving any references to
the KR 2000, KR 2010, TKR -OR- KR '08 time lines.
If anything, should this KR movie ever get made, that would be a remake or reimagining, going right back to
the very beginning, and retelling the KR story from scratch, but set in a modern day 21st Century setting.

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:33 pm

DJGM wrote:The 2008-09 series of Knight Rider was NOT a remake. It was a continuation of the original. If it was a remake,
the pilot would not have featured actual physical bits of the original KITT in the garage next to the new KITT.
It wouldn't have even referenced anything from the original series. Any remake of Knight Rider definitely
wouldn't have David Hassellhoff reprising his role as Michael Knight, albeit as a brief cameo.

Knight Rider 2008-09 was absolutely NOT a remake. That is an undeniabe fact. While the actual series that
came along after the pilot left a lot to be desired, it was still a continuation of the original right to the end
when they embarked on resurrecting the Foundation for Law And Government from the original series.
Yes, my fine sir. Let me explain...

Glenn A Larson created, arguably, the best episode of the entire series. Other writers did their best (or hack patch work) to continue on that legacy. (We all have our favorite best/worst episode lists, after all.) Many years later, a far more imaginative continuation was created that would give Michael Knight, KIT2T and even Devon Miles a conclusion path. It was (in my opinion) ambitious. A little too ambitious. But, it helped write the final chapter for those characters, as far as the original series is concerned.

That series never got past the pilot.

Later on, a grand notion called Action Pack made a fierce try at claiming the KR franchise with KR 2010. It -WAS- going to be the further adventures of Michael Knight and KIT2T in a shadowy flight of a man who does not exist. Which sure makes it sound like it was going to monster truck over the whole KR2000 movie and ignore that it even existed. Thus, rewriting the failed pilot's timeline. Or, maybe it was going to try and incorporate. But, such a question has very little potential of ever being officially answered, aside from an association of the meanings over the similar names of 2000/2010.

After a full on lawsuit between Action Pack and Universal, AP walked away with the KR 2010 name and a whole script that could have just as easily been a Mad Max series of episodes. However, I bet that if the AP series had continued onwards, rather then having been reformatted right after the KR2010 airing date, we might have saw some loose signs that Michael and KITT were somewhere in that series' history line...if referenced by little more then a history book or something. Again, we'll probably never have any kind of official word on what that might have been.

Action Pack doesn't give up. In their reformatted condition, they push forth Team Knight Rider. Seemingly set before KR 2000 days, it really does feel as if they have completely cut a brand new time line. Thus, I do conclude that TKR 'monster trucks' right over KR 2000 and the Mad Max movie without giving them any kind of recognition. Which, for the time, makes THEM the definitive conclusion for Michael Knight and KIT2T. After all, the show picks up in a kind of Foundation reality where the private funding has long since run out and made the whole operation turn to the government to run through. In fact, an operation that has expanded beyond the US borders. Some characters have tie in's with Michael Knight and 'the character' (not the actor, mind you) does make an appearance. Plus, KITT's CPU was stuffed inside a Folger's coffee can...

...thus, TKR. The overblown fan fiction with a Hollywood budget, folks. But, through the use of printouts that give TV Guide descriptions of each episode (I kid you not.) and a poorly displayed K.I.T.T. prop, slash, mannequin wearing Michael's clothes, TKR uses your logic to make themselves the official time line to end all time lines.

Flash forward to NBC's second return to the KR time line, KR '08.

This series most certainly does 'monster truck' (probably by reforming into a monster truck) any previous series by linking itself -ONLY- to that grand 'Knight of the Phoenix' that everyone wants to be apart of. (And, I tried to reference the episode title via the original series link...only to see it linking to a blank, white page. Technical support might want to look in on that oddity, since I don't officially fix stuff like that around here, anymore. Had to go to Google and an imdb page, instead.) Since they smashed down any previous attempts at a conclusive time line with the latest and greatest form of entertainment, they became the authority on what happens to the Foundation...after the private funding ran out, the whole operation moved over to government funding, only to find a private fund trust of billions to pull away from the government's influence with. And, while THAT SHOW is the last thing we've officially seen would make it a continuation, I do suspect that when, or if, the real Slim Shady, I mean Glenn A Larson's official script does stand up, KR '08 will only find itself staring at the descending shadow of a far larger monster truck, set to smash it's entire collective into yet another piece of reboot history. (Much in the same way that a J.J. Abrams Enterprise can flatten the landscape of a well laid foundation and pick-and-choose what to rebuild from the ashes.)

In other words, EVERYONE wants to tether themselves to the original that started it all. But, nobody wants to play fair with another writer's ideas. (Except for TKR and their internet search for KRO episode descriptions. Heh...the fan fic's source. :lol: )

Nicholas Knight
Operative

Post by Nicholas Knight » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:10 pm

In my opinion, as much as I really dont wanna admit it, I consider the Feb 2008 KR movie to be a sequel with the 08-09 series to be a "sleeper remake". Kinda like they snuck a reboot in first series episode hoping people wouldn't notice. The 08-09 series had no real ties to the TV movie besides KI3T, Mike Traceur, Carrie Rivai, Sarah Graimen, and her father, Dr. Graimen. The setting had totally changed from the TV movie. ALTHOUGH there was mention of Devon and Bonnie names and even mention of Micheal Long as Mike Traceur real dad. But thats about it. If the series continued the storyline from the TV movie, I would consider it a true sequel. But it seems to just give lil nods to the original series and the TV movie.Its just extremely weird why they went a different direction in the series. And the biggest change from the TV movie to the series in my opinion is they put the creation of the KARR exoskeleton robot before KI3T. It kinda in my opinion shows they are obviously are ignoring the TV movie while hoping viewers like the retconning of the story, which would make it a reboot.
Knight Tech Inc. -- Where everyone makes a difference.