KITT Dash Ideas

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Dozer789
Recruit
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

KITT Dash Ideas

Post by Dozer789 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:25 pm

Hey all, first post here, even though I signed up a little while ago :D

A little background...

My brother showed me Knight Rider (1982) a few months ago, and I knew I had to have a car like that when I first saw it. I watched a few more of the videos, and the more I watched, the more I knew I had to have one.
I started designing it, and then found some links to people who had made their own replicas, and to a few sites like this one. After reading some forum posts, some articles, and viewing a few sites with replicas, I started designing my own.

At first I was going to use with a 1982 Trans am, and work with that, but I liked the newer more futuristic version of the 1986.
After thinking about it, I decided to make a poll, and had some people I knew online take it. I had a question about what kind they liked better, and a guy who I know am pretty good friends with gave me a lot of advice, and told me why I should use a 1986.

I still wasn’t sure what kind I wanted, but then I found out that the 1992’s were pretty much the same as the 1982’s, so I figured I would probably just go with that.
Around that time I had the great idea to make my own car… Only it wasn’t that great. Finally after reading a few articles about that, I figured unless I knew more about cars, and had the money to afford it, I figured I might as well forget that… So I ruled out that option.

I then saw what I thought was a Trans am, but a friend of mine said was a corvette. After reading about them a little, I knew that was the kind of car I needed to use. They were fast, so they would resemble the real KITT, although I would probably never take it over 100. I also liked how much HP it had, so I figured this would make a more realistic version of KITT. The one drawback is that it only has 2 seats, but I figured that would give me more room to store my whole computers electronics, and a few other features.

I stopped working on it for a little while, but lately I have spent a while designing it some more.

Here is a little information on how it will work…
I wanted my car to have a computer as close to the real KITT as in the TV series as I could.
I’m going to clone my SIM card, so that I only have to pay for one plan, and so that when I have my car running, and I’m using it, I can send and receive calls and texts.
It will also have almost everything voice activated, so I can just tell my car to send a text, or call someone.
I also didn’t like how all the replicas couldn’t do much besides look like the real thing. I wasn’t sure if it was because it couldn’t be done, or just because nobody wanted to spend the time doing it.
After thinking about it, and designing some more features for it, I finally have a list of what I think, and hope I can put in my car.
A few of the other features will be backup, and forward facing cameras, around 1-2 terabytes of memory, because I will have back, and forward facing cameras taking video feed whenever the car is turned on, and also whenever I turn it on when the car is off.

Another thing I’m planning is to be able to connect my car to my phone, so that I can track it, and with an app I will design, be able to control a few things, like my automatic opening doors, lights, etc. I’m not totally sure what all I will have it be able to do via my phone, but I’m hoping I can do quite a bit.
I will also be adding a touch screen control interface to the computer, so that I can run diagnostics, make notes, and a few other things.
The diagnostics will check all the systems in my car, and detect problems, and then alert me to what is wrong. I’m sure how much I will be able to do, but I’m at least doing it with some of my major systems.

Sorry for the long background, but now what I’m wondering, is how to make a dash that will look like an updated version of KITT’s old dash.
I have a couple designs in my head, but I’m not sure if I like them, and I’m wondering if any of you have a good dash design for a more updated version of KITT in a C4 corvette?
One thing I will be doing, is either make a voice box, like the season 3/4 with the 3 rows of small lines, but in a blue color, or else use the voicebox that was in KI3T.

Too long; still read.

If any of you have any ideas for it, let me know.

Here are a couple links to some of the stuff I'm hopefully going to add... Some of it needs fixed, as I lost my updated version.

http://tinyurl.com/lscau6f
http://tinyurl.com/oma9swt

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Re: KITT Dash Ideas

Post by jup » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:24 am

I'm not completely sure what your idea is. Sounds like you are trying for the technical side of KITT. Which is a grand step, to say the least.

From what I've known by being on this board for years is that the physical aspects of KITT are partially set in 'dream land'. Like many of the unique looks are illegal for street use in many places. The big, red light under the hood, for example, is often reserved for emergency vehicles, only. Can only be used on private property or car shows. Rear view mirror. Dash board twin TV's. Blackouts on the tail lights and more are all in violation. The pop out stuff in the fourth season car was all smoke and mirrors, so to speak. And, they say there simply wasn't room to fit extending wings that could retract into the real car. So, they just have a permanently wing extended version and some partial pieces for the zoomed in pop out/retract scenes. Even the doors that opened by themselves was just a cleverly disguised hand that came out from the hide away special effects driver's seat.

I'm reminded about a movie that came out a few years ago...the latest Herbie, the Love Bug movie. In it, they had a fully tricked out bug that could open it's doors and a ton more stuff. Had so much hardware tucked away to do that...that nobody could actually sit inside the cab. Of course, this was just some professional car builder that made one car for one movie. Just because this person couldn't figure out how to have automatic car doors and a driver doesn't make it at all impossible to do.

Then, there is the coming era of the self driving cars. And, every replica KITT owner is just dreaming of including that option into their show pieces. Well, as long as it doesn't have to use that gigantic eye contraption on top of the vehicle, that is.

It's truly a miracle that the dream of KITT from the early 80s is now almost possible in everyday life. Just haven't figured out that little bit about intelligent, two way communications, just yet.

Dozer789
Recruit

Post by Dozer789 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:36 pm

I'm somewhat aware about how it isn't legal to drive a genuine replica of KITT, so I'm hopefully going to just do as much as I can. Since I will be driving it on the street, and not just having a show car. I'm planning on just having a sweet dashboard kinda like the one KITT had, and also having a computer that can do as much as I can program myself.

Another thing I'm hoping, is once I'm done with my computer system in my car, that someone with a genuine KITT replica would go and take the work I have done, and put it into one of their cars.

My main question, was do you have any ideas for how to make a more modern looking dash? I like how it had LED's for almost everything, but I would kinda like one that was more sleeker, and new feeling... Not sure how to describe it. I have an idea in my head, but not sure how to put it on paper, or in a dash in this case.

RicardoRibeiro2000
Operative

Post by RicardoRibeiro2000 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:41 am

This is just an idea, what about making a Kitt replica with a totally digital function dash? I mean a dash with digital gages, digital voice modulator box, a good stereo radio, an HD monitor and a computer incorporated on the style of the season 4 Kitt's dash. It won't be a problem to drive it on the street or is it?

Dozer789
Recruit

Post by Dozer789 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:57 pm

RicardoRibeiro2000 wrote:This is just an idea, what about making a Kitt replica with a totally digital function dash? I mean a dash with digital gages, digital voice modulator box, a good stereo radio, an HD monitor and a computer incorporated on the style of the season 4 Kitt's dash. It won't be a problem to drive it on the street or is it?
I thought about that, but I'm sure it would be the greatest for the drivers eyes... Also, it might not be legal.

I'm hoping something kinda like that, but less digital, and more led's and stuff.

RicardoRibeiro2000
Operative

Post by RicardoRibeiro2000 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:50 pm

Dozer789 wrote:
RicardoRibeiro2000 wrote:This is just an idea, what about making a Kitt replica with a totally digital function dash? I mean a dash with digital gages, digital voice modulator box, a good stereo radio, an HD monitor and a computer incorporated on the style of the season 4 Kitt's dash. It won't be a problem to drive it on the street or is it?
I thought about that, but I'm sure it would be the greatest for the drivers eyes... Also, it might not be legal.

I'm hoping something kinda like that, but less digital, and more led's and stuff.
I've seen around the internet there's some modern cars that uses digital dashes that looks cool and would great to use it on Kitt like this one on this link:

http://www.diseno-art.com/encyclopedia/ ... x_air.html

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:04 am

I saw the term and instantly asked, 'What's a digital dash?'

Now, I have a notion on how to design an interface on a star ship bridge. That's really amazing looking. And, was probably something that one of the newer KR cars should have looked like. (Well...instead of a single monitor on a plain dash. (TKR))

Back to the legal bits...

As memory serves, I think only the one/two monitors on the dash, itself and the gullwing 'wheel' were illegal. TV's for being driver distractions and the Gullwing for not being a complete circle. Of course, those were some old legal rules. The arrival of GPS and backup cameras have since blurred the line. Though, I'm pretty sure the monitor still can't be equipped to run a movie or TV show upon it. Still, I am aware of in dash DVD players that have this pop out screen deal. And, I have heard that at least one replica builder has come up with a GullWing with this translucent portion that makes it into a full circle while maintaining the look of the GullWing. Not a perfect legal solution. But, nothing's going to come closer.

Reminds me of this one cable show special I once caught. Had something to do with a vehicle that had been stripped down by auto thieves. Yet, the owner managed to get what was left back into his possession. So much was missing that the insurance agency considered it a total. Yet, the guy checked into what was legally needed and only built the vehicle to that level. Although not being too pretty, that frame on wheels was legally drivable on public roads.

I highly doubt that I could ever find a YT video of the special segment.

RicardoRibeiro2000
Operative

Post by RicardoRibeiro2000 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:39 am

I've heard that is illegal for Kitt replica to use a red scanner light, is there any possibility to use a maroon colored scanner light since is different color from red?

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:57 am

Yes. Red on the front of the vehicle is completely reserved for official emergency vehicles, only. Now, if you can prove that your under hood, red light 'scanner' light can only work while on private property, then only the most stuck up cop can give you grief over even having it. I'm not sure if there's any rules on other colors, though. Like, per say, KARR yellow.

Dozer789
Recruit

Post by Dozer789 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:11 pm

RicardoRibeiro2000, I just love that lcd dash! Thanks for posting that!
I don't have much time now, but I will look into it a little more, and I might just go with something like that!

As far as the tv monitors goes, Mine will be the same as an entertainment center in newer vehicles, so I don't think that should be a problem.

Other than the scanner bar, I don't think I will have anything not street legal on my car. I'm going to look into it, and see if any other colors can be used.

Thanks for your replies!

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:46 pm

You know, I wonder if it becomes more or less (or even matters) if the front hood 'scanner' light could be designed something like those pop up headlamps on the Trans-Am? I guess, in a way, it would make it look more like an eye with this mechanical lid that could close and open. Because, if it blended right, nobody would even know it was there...until you had it parked in private property and switched it on, opening the 'eye' and letting the light swish-swosh in sight.

Just be ready to give odd explanations about it. "Oh. That? It...uhhh...opens my garage door." (I probably botched that quote from Michael, used in a particular drag racing episode.)

Dozer789
Recruit

Post by Dozer789 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:11 pm

Wait, your saying it is illegal to have one of those installed even if it isn't running?
I do like the idea of having something cover it though... cool idea!

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Knight Racer » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:35 am

I did a search on google for futuristic dashboards and I saw some amazing looking dashboards that already resemble what kitt's would look like if they were made now instead of the 80's.

https://www.google.com/search?q=futuris ... CAYQ_AUoAQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also remember in the late 90's reading through a Maxim magazine (yes they have articles too), someone was designing a dashboard with a long screen across it. On the screen you could drag around all the meters and instrument panels to however you feel more comfortable with your own personal layout. I'm not sure if it was ever completed or if the prototype was ever debuted at a convention.

RicardoRibeiro2000
Operative

Post by RicardoRibeiro2000 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:41 am

Knight Racer wrote:I did a search on google for futuristic dashboards and I saw some amazing looking dashboards that already resemble what kitt's would look like if they were made now instead of the 80's.

https://www.google.com/search?q=futuris ... CAYQ_AUoAQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also remember in the late 90's reading through a Maxim magazine (yes they have articles too), someone was designing a dashboard with a long screen across it. On the screen you could drag around all the meters and instrument panels to however you feel more comfortable with your own personal layout. I'm not sure if it was ever completed or if the prototype was ever debuted at a convention.

This red dash would be great for a Kitt replica or even for a modern Kitt in a Knight Rider movie!

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:12 pm

Dozer789 wrote:Wait, your saying it is illegal to have one of those installed even if it isn't running?
I do like the idea of having something cover it though... cool idea!
Well...I'm nowhere certain about the legal/illegal aspect of the scanner just being there. But, where the police are concerned, it's going to make then look and think, all the same. After all, I am reminded of a friend's issue with a license plate cover. The cop pulled him over about it. He said it was to keep the plate from getting dirty. It's translucent hue was aging from exposure to the sun light and the cop's perspective was that it was to detour the red light camera. Despite my friend literally tearing the aged thing off, the cop still proceeded with issuing the ticket.

According to another good friend's direct knowledge about those anti-red light covers, this ticket was total bunk to begin with. Because, thanks to the use of computers, that distorted image that the true cover does to a POV that's not directly behind the plate...can be completely undone with a single click of a mouse button on a particular on-screen prompt.

So, what I am saying is that I have no idea if actually just having the light in place is illegal. But, any police officer at any time might look at that and decide it's payday for his or her quota, just on the chance that it is or a suspicion that it could be turned on.

To quote another KR episode scene, "I hate to do this to a fellow officer..." *Turbo boost button depressed*. All because some town cop tried to use a malfunctioning radar gun to claim that Michael was speeding through a residential zone.

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:32 pm

RicardoRibeiro2000 wrote:
Knight Racer wrote:I did a search on google for futuristic dashboards and I saw some amazing looking dashboards that already resemble what kitt's would look like if they were made now instead of the 80's.
There's some really amazing stuff out there. I've never actually tried looking, before. Such sci-fi notions to be seen, for sure.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:53 pm

The red dashboard reminded me instantly of the Batman Beyond batmobile. I would go with the steering wheel form this picture with the bottom and top cut off to make it look mmore like a gullwing steering wheel.

I wouild also use this wrap around dashboard display screen if it came in black:

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:45 am

That top photo looks like it's got co-pilot controls and I do believe more driver buttons then can be found in my ride.

And the bottom...is a really awesome environmental arcade cabinet. (I take it that is a show model prototype...???)

Dozer789
Recruit

Post by Dozer789 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:18 pm

I reaaly like the idea of being able to switch around the dials.
On my friends phone, and I'll try to send more info later.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:21 pm

I like the shape of the dashboard in the second picture. It reminds me of how kitt's dash stould out in the 80's compared to what everyone else had for a dashboard. I would like the wheel in the first picture if I would get the top and bottom off to make it look like the gullwing steering wheel.
Last edited by Knight Racer on Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:27 pm

RicardoRibeiro2000
Operative

Post by RicardoRibeiro2000 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:50 pm

Knight Racer wrote:Image
COOOOOOLLLLLLL! :D :kitt: :dash4:

How about this one?

Dozer789
Recruit

Post by Dozer789 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:51 pm

Great pictures! Thanks a lot for the ideas!
Not totally sure how I should make it look... Got a couple ideas, but not sure how it will look in the end. Do any of you have any ideas for now I should make it?

I'm thinking fully digital, somewhat wrap-around. Maybe a spot to show a video of infrared for night driving? Especially in heavy snow or rain? Not sure if that would work or not, but I think it might.

Let me know what your thinking! I really like some of those ideas already posted.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:58 pm

That looks like too much of an unshapely blob. The one I used had a closer shape the otiginal series.

Dozer789
Recruit

Post by Dozer789 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:35 am

Knight Racer wrote:That looks like too much of an unshapely blob. The one I used had a closer shape the otiginal series.
What do you mean?