ws6air replica updates

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: ws6air replica updates

Post by Knight Racer » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:58 pm

Bonnie would be proud.

ws6air
Operative

Post by ws6air » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:02 am

Next goal is these parts, after carpet goes in.... now where'd I put that stuff?

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:54 am

Check the basement.Kitt's been in storage for a long time since the 80's.Body in Graiman's garage.

Ben_KNIGHT
Rookie

Post by Ben_KNIGHT » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:35 pm

WOW WOW WOW I've been following this topic for a looooong time and now I see the finished exterior...

WOW I have never seen such a beautiful, spot on replica! Lots of respect!

-Ben

knightfever
Operative

Post by knightfever » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:18 pm

Don't apologize for loading us up with pictures. First of all, this is your thread. And second, I'm really enjoying watching your KITT come together. You are putting so much attention into the detail that it's really a pleasure to watch. Keep the pictures coming. :good:

ws6air
Operative

Post by ws6air » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:40 am

Thanks guys..... Just got my caps and wheels on.... Want to say thanks to a couple of guys too.... TurboCast KING , "David Sanchez" , for the wheels and caps. These wheels were off a very, VERY , low mileage car and were absolutely flawless.... plus the OEM caps he found for me , were just beautiful!!!! Thanks again David!!!!

Another guy in the hobby, Alex Wong, which has done a lot for the hobby as in , his car is probably the closest replica to being a screen accurate car, as it's been in : Hoff Roast, GE commercial, Hot Wheels , etc.... too long a list.... Definitely want to say thanks to him for helping me along the way , he knows his Knight Rider stuff for sure!!! Thanks Alex!!!!

Here's some pics (not great but , looks definitely looks more like KITT now with different wheels!). Two things left now... door strip molding and inner fender plastics, and outside transformation is complete.... Thanks guys!!!! Again, shots are terrible, waiting to take outside, it's raining today!!! ugh

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:02 pm

Looks great.Will you be adding the all black rear trunk privacy protector to the trunk?Season 1/2 had it in black and 3/4 had it in tan to match the interior.Also the season 3/4 had a split middle couch for the rear passengers and season 1/2 had a solid 1 piece.

spyhunter2k
Volunteer
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by spyhunter2k » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:58 pm

Looks awesome. Look forward to more pics.

ws6air
Operative

Post by ws6air » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:50 am

Haven't posted in awhile... been very busy.... Here's some stuff I've been working on..... Not perfect by no means, and flaws here there that happen over a 5 year period of a completed dash sitting .... Hah... anyway...Surprised it all worked still... hah!!!! Enjoy

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:54 am

That replica looks amazing!I'd swear it was a screen used studio interior except fort he pilot steering wheel with Knight Two Thousand and the horizontal lines on the techometer panel for a season 1/2 interior.You did a great job.

ws6air
Operative

Post by ws6air » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:43 pm

Last edited by ws6air on Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ws6air
Operative

Last edited by ws6air on Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ws6air
Operative

Last edited by ws6air on Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ws6air
Operative

Post by ws6air » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:46 pm

Did first show.... Although not done yet, I owe it to my painter who painted/buffed it.... mirror!!! Thanks Scott Winfield!!!! I might have done bodywork , but he laid it down!!! My upper console, carpet and dash were in , and outside totally, TOTALLY finished . Easy stuff now!!!

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:11 pm

Gorgeous KITT replica, the thin scanner opening really makes a difference, looks authentic KITT from the show :)
Just spent probably more than hour looking this thread from the beginning, enjoyed looking all the pics and reading the updates, great stuff!

OKC KNIGHT
Operative

Post by OKC KNIGHT » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:20 am

ws6air wrote:Thanks guys..... Just got my caps and wheels on.... Want to say thanks to a couple of guys too.... TurboCast KING , "David Sanchez" , for the wheels and caps. These wheels were off a very, VERY , low mileage car and were absolutely flawless.... plus the OEM caps he found for me , were just beautiful!!!! Thanks again David!!!!

You're welcome Marc,Those were one of the nicest N89's I have ever sold and I know its been 7 years,But a friendly reminder 2 of those caps were NOS NEW in the GM box!!!.I got the last ones in GM's dealer inventory :mrgreen: 8)

Honestly your car belongs in a Museum Vault /Smithsonian its that perfect !!!!!! :mrgreen: :good:

Dave
Specializing in 1982-1992 Firebird/Trans Am Parts since 2002 and the ONLY seller of High Quality KITT Taillight blackouts

My contact Dmcman108@yahoo.com

ws6air
Operative

Post by ws6air » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:46 pm

Little crazy, I know.... but wifey says finish something, I have to do that.... NO more fabbing from this guy, I can tell you that!!! Just little lights here and there and I'll be done... Then on to hopefully getting interior back. Can't wait!!!! It's been awhile since I posted anything , been super busy with interior stuff, and engine stuff... this should start things off though..... It's been since August , so.... few pics coming for sure.... Engine bay just needed to be finalized and also aligned with newer carb and intake setup. Different than wifes car/ one thing changes, boom... anyway... Got this done, now just for the gizmos

]

ws6air
Operative

Post by ws6air » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:47 pm

I want to start out by thanking Billy G, Joe Huth, and Richie Cunningham, for making me do this crazy part.... To make a long story short.... My wife also has an 82 as most of you know, a very mint interior because of low mileage, one, the other is that it had an aftermarket notchback, but..... the notchback really saved the interior from fading and I have wanted it for KITT since we purchased car, but wifey said heck no, find your own carpets for plastics.... hmmm.... So , me and Richie looked and looked and looked. There are some very close matches , but I still liked the look of factory. So , I said, let's just do plastics as is, no carpet... so I did that.

I used SEM plastic dye, I mixed and mixed this to where it was exactly the correct shade, took forever, but I ended up with a Gallon ( which in the end , I'll be glad I did) Here it was after a long time of sanding plastics and wow, alot of loving....

You know, after I looked at it, I really liked the plastic look and still do.... I'm definately 50/50 on the whole plastic vs carpet on plastics. I like both, but my heart still went to carpet as I knew that is what KITT had.... So , I finished all of the plastics, and put them all in the car..,..

ws6air
Operative

Post by ws6air » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:47 pm

I even got excited and built a compartment for battery.... was fun.....

Okay, now for the kicker.... I got all the plastics redone, took forever!!!! , and wifey comes down and looks at it and goes, WOW!! I likey, could you do this to mine???? I said " WHAT!!!!!!?????" "REALLY???" She said , yes , as long as mine turn out like these, I said sure.... but , in my mind , I was going, UGH, cause if I chose to do this, it was going to be a NIGHTMARE!!!! That means this , in order:

1. Uninstall her interior , seats, console, etc
2. Take my console out, electrics, etc, to get carpet changed out
3. Take my carpet out , and put in hers,
4. Take her carpet out , and put in KITT

Now.... what do ya do...???? I said, hmm.... at least let me see what it would look like with carpets on panels

I said, WOW.... This would mean I had to take all my stuff out.... well, I DID!!!! and this is what it looked like!!!! OUCH!!!!

This SUCKED!!!! Then I had to get all of her's out also.... .YIKES!!!! I was already dreading this , but man, was it ALOT of work!!!!!

After switching out carpets , I started to reinstall my stuff.... UGH, but, good thing is this, stuff I kinda did in a hurry , I did the correct way this time, and it's even better than it was, so.... Here's the carpet in.....

ws6air
Operative

Post by ws6air » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:48 pm

UGH right?????? Well, good news was this...... I found a whole other set of plastics at a yard that were in perfect shape, and they only wanted 35.00 dollars... I said, say again.... yes, 35.00 dollars... so I said, of course.... I have a perfect home for these. Wife's plastics were in decent shape, but peeling the carpets off , and all that crap, I just used these...... Now.... bad news.... BAD NEWS is this.... you have to repeat the dying on all the plastics again.... WHAT!!!!!!?????? *?$#!!!!!! Another week of work gone.... but, she is letting me use those carpets... so I got her NEW carpet in from my Knight Rider and got her new plastics in...man... Who's getting the deal here?

Now.... time to put all these carpet pieces on my plastics.... wow, this stuff takes sooOOO much time... so does writing this, for the 2 people that might actually read it, felt like I am running a plastic dye shop or Knight Rider shop..... GEEZ

Got new sill plates in also.... Now I'm getting somewhere!!!!

Trying to syke buddies out... did a couple of them.... this was fun!!!

Okay.... After my first show I did back in August.... I did NOT like the headliner job , so I ordered an ABS one. I know, 1st season guys have problems, as I probably will too, but you don't know until you try it yourself sometimes. Ordered and trimmed it up too

Now, was the time I have to give a big shout out to Richie Cunningham... This guy out of the blue helps me find correct materials and the closest materials available for these cars. We worked together for probably about 2 months before I finally ordered my headliner material. I ordered what Richie had which was pretty close if not dead on to original, well, guess what, they sent me some .... MIAMI CORP sent me the wrong stuff, as they said that it was the correct color, I said, nope, not even close, they said, " have you looked at our new cards" AWW come on!!!! DAMNIT!!!! Oh well... So I ordered what I thought was close, it was , but when I got it, it was too red, so I went through a company called Sunbrite and man, there's was close!!! sorry for the bad pic comparisons.... I'm also not trying to go for original, I want mine to match more to the plastics... anyway, this far right, and I'm not picky about the headliner material... Hah !!!!

Richie's material is on left, mine on right... not bad ....

The real trick is direct light, what it will actually look like!!!! Mine is top

Mine is top left

ws6air
Operative

Post by ws6air » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:49 pm

Man !!!! So I ordered I think Desert Tan from Sunbrite, liked it alot and sometimes , you just have to be happy with what you do . now..... Since me and Richie became friends, I wanted to try to find a 5 web correct color seatbelt material.... yes, after taking a week off of work, and getting over a dozen if not 20 samples, I found a 5 web that is pretty dag on close.....

Ordered that big ol' roll, have plenty now.... also found these on good ol ebay....

Okay... now, I went and took my headliner , side panel materials ( parella, vinyl, L bracket, carpet) , speaker grilles, and took them to the upholstery company..... still waiting as of 1-4-15.... so, I said, well, might as well finish up the ol' engine bay.... While at the last show , Nick had some cool looking Knight head emblems for jackets/hats, etc... so.... I had an idea about what to use that for..... My scanner / turn signal cover, where the two meet , as there is a seam, so I made a couple of versions, and picked this one....

Well, after makin that.... I started that weird engine cover again.... That's all I've done in the last 4 months.... Now OFFICIALLY waiting for interior products...... That's my update for today

DJGM
FLAG Assistant

Post by DJGM » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:21 am

As KITT replicas go, this one has to be the closest to perfect as any I have seen. Fantastic work!

RafaelLOJ
Operative

Post by RafaelLOJ » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:00 pm

Yes, absolutely beautiful... I hope to see it (and ride in it) in person some day, Marc...

I did the SEM Palomino, and I have black seatbelts, which I'm keeping... I think the contrast will add to the "race car" vibe :)

Rafael

ws6air
Operative

Post by ws6air » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:49 pm

Haven't posted this here, but I also got the Headliner back in, the door panels in, just waiting on seats to get done, and interior will be done!!! YES!!! Another reason I'm doing battery stuff, getting ready for the almost end of this thing.... Can't wait!!!!

Marc

ws6air
Operative

Post by ws6air » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:00 pm

Thanks guys, I've been busy only with my trunk / battery area, so not much to report, just having to save for batteries, Battery isolator , amps, etc.... Still alot to do, does it ever end??? Hah!!!