David's idea of a new Kitt

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

David's idea of a new Kitt

Post by Knight Racer » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:29 pm

'Knight Rider GT-R' and The Hoff - join us LIVE A…:

http://youtu.be/AUo_vWx6Gkk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tharpdevenport
Operative

Re: David's idea of a new Kitt

Post by tharpdevenport » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:37 pm

No thanks, Hoff.
And when things appeared to get better, they got worse, and everyday was a day to cry.

blowersho
Operative

Post by blowersho » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:21 pm

Both the GT-R and Lemans are awesome but whatever the Hoff is trying to do is pretty hurting.

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:50 pm

"...the new KITT..."

You don't think...

...new KITT for the new proposed movie?

Matthew
Site Administrator

Post by Matthew » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:52 pm

Nah, it's just a case of Nismo being a major sponsor of the 24 Heurs du Mans this year. :good:

You know what though, considering they went to the trouble of customising the nose of that GT-R, I haven't seen hide nor hair of the Hoff. Of course, considering I'm listening to Radio Le Mans as well, I could have missed him since I keep muting the Nismo channel whilst I've got RLM on. :lol:

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

vampire knight
Rookie

Post by vampire knight » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:33 pm

That's interesting. Back in 2008 I made a post of why I would have preferred a GT-R over the Mustang in the new series. I'm a big car nut and the GTR is an amazing care. Here was my reasoning back then and I still feel the same way.
For some of you that may have not considered a Japanese car and are more with the mind frame that KITT must be American muscle, hear me out and keep an open mind. This has so much more in common with what a Firebird was in 1982 than you might think =)

Here are my reasons:

-In 1982 Glen Larson had originally contemplated KITT being a Nissan before deciding on the Firebird
-It's a two door 2+2 sports car just like a Firebird and just like a Firebird only little people and children can fit in the back, but that solves the whole 2 seater argument
-The Skyline brand (in this case Nissan has dropped the Skyline name since there is a Skyline over there, here we know it as the Infiniti G37, but the GT-R is in essence heir to the Skyline GT-R R-34) has a rich automotive history in Japan it goes back to 1957 and the Skyline GT-R sports car goes back to 1969
-The GT-R is really a modern technological wonder as far as cars out right now just like an 82 Firebird was in 82. Nothing like it has ever been imported here, it is unique new and fresh.
-It's a new design not a 4 year old retro car, it doesn't look like anything else out right now. It has some styling cues that let you know it's from the Nissan Skyline bloodline, but it's its own animal. Much like the 82 Firebird was a significant change from its 1981 predecessor
-It's a tangible car, it's not some concept, it will be sold here and will be able to own one
-The front end is just dying to be slightly modified and have a scanner slapped in it

I think it just seems to "fit" more with the essence of KITT. Those are just some of the reasons. I have my cons, like it doesn't have pop up headlights or t-tops and yes it's not a Pontiac, but for me the pros heavily outweigh the cons. It doesn't come to the states until the summer of 2008 and I think that will still be fresh and new for when the movie comes out.and for those that have no clue what it looks like here are some pics:

Althought I do have another con, affordability. A Firebird was never as expensive as a GTR and Firebirds are also a lot more ubiquitous (or were anyway), than a GTR.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:22 pm

I think RC3 said it best when he said in Knight of the rising sun season 4 "I am a strong advocate of buying American. I wouldn't buy you if you had a foreign label." Even Team Knight Rider used Ford but that might be because Pontiac wanted nothing to do with kr after everyone wanted a Trans Am that resembled Kitt and being liable for accidents when people tried to attempt stunts. They also chose an American car for kr08 too.

AppleMacri1980
Operative

Post by AppleMacri1980 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:40 pm

so your saying after the old KR Pontiac wanted the cars stooped?

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:21 am

Well people who watched the show in the 80's wanted kitt cars so they went down to pontiac dealerships and asked for it.They considered making a kitt model however they knew that they would be held liable for people getting into accidents trying to perform those stunts on the show.I've always wondered if that's why pontiac denied letting TKR use pontiac cars or was there some other reason Ford vehicles were used from then on in kr shows.

89IROCNDoug
Operative

Post by 89IROCNDoug » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:00 am

Knight Racer wrote:Well people who watched the show in the 80's wanted kitt cars so they went down to pontiac dealerships and asked for it.They considered making a kitt model however they knew that they would be held liable for people getting into accidents trying to perform those stunts on the show.I've always wondered if that's why pontiac denied letting TKR use pontiac cars or was there some other reason Ford vehicles were used from then on in kr shows.
You might be correct about Pontiac or 'GM' not wanting any lawsuit problems and thus the reason for wanting to stay away from KR publicity after the original KR series. (also considering that Pontiac wanted the car referred as a black t-top instead of a TA during the series) However, if that's true, that was a STUPID move by them. They could of had buyers sign liability forms, run some kind of 'drive safe' campaign and sold a lot more Firebirds. I love GM cars but I think they have had a lot of ignorant people running the company.
One man did make a difference.

Kitt_24
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kitt_24 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:20 pm

tharpdevenport wrote:No thanks, Hoff.
Same here no. :roll:

Nicholas Knight
Operative

Post by Nicholas Knight » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:35 pm

I really don't remember who told me or even where since it was a long time ago, but this is what I heard about GM's dilemma with Knight Rider: GM had successful endorsements with the FireBird/Trans Am due to the first two Smokey and the Bandit movies. They even had "Bandit Editions" of the two Fire bird/TA used in the movies with special paints and motors. They hoped to have similar success with the redesigned FireBird/TA in Smokey 3. But unfortunately with Jerry Reed as the Bandit, with Burt Reynolds in a small cameo and a lackluster storyline made the movie a dissapointing flop. With the new car not really given a positive outlook in the movie, GM's hopes for high sales weren't high. When the Knight Rider producers went to GM, they approved use of the car, thinking of a computerized car would be just a small gimmick. With some prototype features included with the dash, including a corvette styled digital dash, still GM thought it wouldn't be that big of a deal and installed standard gauges in their production line Fire birds/TA. With the Pilot of Knight Rider given high ratings people began going to car lots looking for Firebirds.....only to find a no digital dash. GM considered recalling the Fire birds or installing digital dashes in newer models, but both decisions would be costly. So GM decided to ask NBC to simply identify the car as the "Black T-Top".
Knight Tech Inc. -- Where everyone makes a difference.

89IROCNDoug
Operative

Post by 89IROCNDoug » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:55 am

Thanks for that background info, Nicholas! :good: That's interesting...
One man did make a difference.