Knight Rider Fan Fiction

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

TurboBoostMan
Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Knight Rider Fan Fiction

Post by TurboBoostMan » Sat May 03, 2014 11:06 pm

So, I want to write a Knight Rider fan fiction. I'm a HUUUGEE fan and it just came to mind and I was like yeah. Why not? But, I'm not completely sure what to write about, what characters to include, what the setting should be... so I would appreciate some help. Pleaseee...?

1. Setting? (Michael and KI2T in 1980s or Michael and KI2T in 2014)
2. Characters? (Bonnie or April? KARR and/or Garthe, Chameleon, Adrianne, Cameron Zachary...)
3. KITT body style? (1982 Trans Am or 2002 Trans Am?... or maybe 2014 Trans Am?
4. Should I introduce new functions installed on KITT?
5. If I do it in 2014, should I have Devon still alive? (He'd be 91)

I was thinking of having it start with something bad happening, foreshadowing what's gonna happen later, then we see a 60 year old Michael Knight strolling through a junk yard, looking for a new car. He just traded in his Chevy. He strolls along and sees an old 80s Trans Am with a modified front bumper, a hole cut out in the grille and a fancy, tricked out dashboard. He sees it's his old friend, so he buys it and has it restored and fixes it up and brings KITT back. Help pleaseee?
"One Man Can Make A Difference" - Wilton Knight

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Re: Knight Rider Fan Fiction

Post by jup » Sun May 04, 2014 2:37 pm

Sounds like you have a good start, there. But, I find the 'strolling along, just finding that one of a kind body in sight' bit to be a classic writer's trap. Making things happen, just to fit the scene is considered bad writing.

Alas, the scene is perfectly savable. Let's say that Michael has long since retired and is now living that life along the beach. Suddenly, one evening, his phone rings.

Michael picks up the receiver. "Hello?"
A familar voice, yet not too familiar, is heard on the other end. "Michael. Save me."
Michael stands there at the phone in silence for a few seconds. Then, with an uncertain voice, replies "Kitt?"
Kitt makes a weak sounding reply, as if some kind of damage is making him struggle just to talk. "Michael. I can not see. Unsure how long I can micro jam into the phone line. Mapping seems to suggest that I have wound up in a junk yard. Oh, Michael. My worst fears are coming true. Alone. At the mercy of some monstrous car crusher. Michael. Save me."

And, there you have it. Michael, given directions to the junk yard, finds KITT after many years of leaving Kitt behind after retirement. Upon discovery, he starts to find clues as to why the Foundation has abandoned their former car. And, I don't want it to be something simple like 'old age', either. I'm thinking that something's gone terribly wrong. Like the new staff have some bad ideas and had to destroy Kitt for sticking up to some notions that didn't fit. Kitt can't just plainly lay out all the facts, either. Whomever did all this damage to him had plucked out vital memory RAM cards that recorded what had happened. (Which makes revealing the crime a slow and interesting process.)

Now Michael, propelled by his notions that one man can make a difference and partnered with his former car that's no longer in all that great a shape, must re-establish the old team to combat the wrongs that this new generation is committing and revive the things that their former Foundation once stood for. Will he find Bonnie and/or April still around and able to help revive KITT? Is Devon even remotely alive? Can they pull off another miracle rebuild from RC III and his street mechanic gang? Is RC III even doing things like that, anymore? Don't be afraid to have the search for former friends wind up at grave sites. And, most importantly, ignore the KR 2000/2010 time line. That's just someone's nightmare, IMHO.

I've been writing for a great number of years and have figured out a thing or two. After all, one of the industry greats thought my writings were worth stealing from to give them their own television spots.

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Sun May 04, 2014 3:19 pm

I was thinking about how all the shows seemed to go towards that government bit, that would hint how the Foundation may have run out of funds and saught out a fresh source of funds.

Then, it struck me.

Give Garthe some kind of crazy background story to how he survived the plummet to death inside Goliath.

Anyhow, he survives. With the loss of all he had built up, he sets his long term sights on reclaiming the empire that his father had built. And, he even thinks that his father meant for him to have that empire. So, over the years, he works on slipping in loyal people into job positions inside the Foundation. Slowly, he turns the tide to his favor as old members fade away and new people that are loyal to his cause slip in. Come that fateful day, the trap snaps shut. Support for Garthe to just show up, out of the blue and take the presidental position is voted in. Kitt, the final member of the original days of the Foundation, shall not tollerate the rise of Garthe and his ideals. The coup attempt is short lived, as Kitt can't find enough allies. Garthe uses his power to attempt to sway Kitt to his side. Since none of the original founders or designers are still on-board, Kitt's outdated tech protects him from being completely erased. So, Garthe makes the staff disarm Kitt as best they can to be hauled off to the junkyard for destruction. Only, they didn't count on Micro Jam's magical abilities or any 'outside help' to come to Kitt's aid.

What do you think? Sound like a classical sequence with a powerful plot?

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Knight Racer » Sun May 04, 2014 4:46 pm

When I was in high school I wrote up a great fan fic 15 years ago called Knight of the Falcon.A "what if" world where Michael was teamed up with Karr,Kitt is the evil vehicle.Tanya is on the run with Wilton Knight's tech schematics,Devon has replaced Wilton Knight's position as head of Knight Industries since his passing,Garthe Knight Teams up with Tanya,a few other changes.I started it but never got passed the 3rd or 4rth episode in a series I was writting.

I also wrote up another fan fic of Kitt getting an upgrade to a 90's trans am body.The body gets hijacked by Garthe.The car's cpu is run by a prototype living brain/computer processor hybrid.

I had an idea for a great fanfic a few months ago.In Goliath Returns Kitt was saying to Dr. Bergstrum that he came online in a mainframe at Washington.Karr was built at knight industries but what if the ai was being designed and built by the government and the knight 2000 body (Karr body as well as kitt's) was being built by Knight Industries.Someone could write up a great fan fic of the events leading up to knight of the phoenix.Kind of a middle period between why karr's deactivation up to the creation of kitt.The events leading up to the recruitment of F.L.A.G.'s recruitment of its first operative.

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Sun May 04, 2014 7:08 pm

Knight Racer wrote:When I was in high school I wrote up a great fan fic 15 years ago called Knight of the Falcon.A "what if" world where Michael was teamed up with Karr,Kitt is the evil vehicle.
I had something kind of similar to that in mind, all so many years ago. It was going to be a crossover fan fic between Knight Rider and Sliders. In it, Michael and Kitt would investigate into the odd robberies of bank vaults that seemed to have no clues left behind. Only, as they approach one suspect vault whose alarm had just gone off, the thieves would shoot their 'Sliders' device and force Michael and Kitt into another reality. One where KARR was a good guy and actually saves Wilton. Sadly, no evil KITT. Simply the fact that KARR was so successful that KITT never became a reality.

Just like yours, it's a story I'll never get around to writing. Got other things on my plate.

TurboBoostMan
Operative

Post by TurboBoostMan » Sun May 04, 2014 8:34 pm

Wow. These are actually some really cool ideas. Especially the first one. If anybody would like to read it as I go along, you can put your email and I'll send it to you if you wish. I appreciate the help and will look for more in the future. Thank you :)

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Mon May 05, 2014 2:04 am

Thanks.

It would be great to see how the thing unfolds. So many possibilities present themselves.

Good luck and have fun exploring this world.

Rainack
FLAG Recruit

Post by Rainack » Tue May 06, 2014 10:22 am

Don't be afraid to bring in new characters, too. I have a series of Knight Rider stories on FanFiction that starts with Knight Fall that introduces a new character. In the second story, she ends up becoming K.I.T.T.'s driver after Michael dies during a botched under cover operation. You can also play around with new technologies/abilities for K.I.T.T. I liked the idea of the nano tech from the '08 show, so I modified it for my story. Not only is K.I.T.T. protected by nanites, he can create an avatar with them, and later in the series, they are used to create a kind of telepathy between AI and driver.
To read my fanfictions, go to fanfiction.net and search for my screen name, Rainack.

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Tue May 06, 2014 3:12 pm

Rainack wrote:Don't be afraid to bring in new characters, too.
That's an absolutely wonderful idea. After all, life has moved on for everyone. Michael may have found a new love since having lost Stevie. Bonnie/April/RC/Devon. Any of them may have gone on to start families or even moved on from the Foundation to start up something totally new. We do know that Bonnie once tried to break off and pursue a new life in electronics. She might have done so, again. Could make for an interesting tech support if one of them had their own division that was in no way connected to the Foundation. Yet, could rebuild KITT with some new age parts. Plot movement/life movement AND a logical excuse to fix up a broken down and very aged KITT. Who knows whom may be employed at such a place. Over the years, who knows what kinds of contacts our original cast may have made. The sky's the limit on new characters. Same goes for the bad guys, if you're planning on revisiting any original villains.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Tue May 06, 2014 4:15 pm

I always felt that the Garthe Knight/Karr teamup would have been great to see in the show if there was a season 5.Garthe could have felt if only he had a car like Michael's that had an AI maybe he could level the playing field.Then he learns that there was a car before kitt and begins to track him down.

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Wed May 07, 2014 3:42 pm

Knight Racer wrote:I always felt that the Garthe Knight/Karr teamup would have been great to see in the show if there was a season 5.Garthe could have felt if only he had a car like Michael's that had an AI maybe he could level the playing field.Then he learns that there was a car before kitt and begins to track him down.
That can be worked in real easily. After all, we know that Karr survived, at least in personality. While it's a bit of a trick to have the surviving Garthe actually locate Karr's brain, it would make sense that if Garthe had his sights set on retaking his father's former empire, he could utilize the Foundation's resources to rebuild KARR. One great short cut would be to say that the Foundation has built at least one of KITT's sequel models and once Garthe is voted in as 'president', he orders Karr's brain to be installed into the newest model. It would be far easier to say that then to try and explain why Garthe failed to swap Kitt's black box with Karr's, only to sloppily disarm and aged KITT and throw the works away into a junk yard. In a way, though, we're tresspassing into some territory that KR 08 was trying for.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Wed May 07, 2014 10:22 pm

I was thinking more along the lines that just after kitt vs karr,Michael sends Devon the location where a F.L.A.G. cleanup crew should come nnd pick up Karr's remains.Decades pass and Garthe decides to pay a visit to one of the Knight Industries storage warehouses.Amongst all the antiques he finds an old black box that he recalls his father's technicians working on before he went to prison for 3 counts of murder.As he reaches to pick it up the black case comes to life with blinking lights.He realizes what he's stumbled across and knows this is the key to taking down an old nemesis.

This story can work without making Garthe president of Knight Industries.In both episodes he never really did anything to reclaim his rightful position in his fathers organization.All he ever really wanted was power and wealth.Along came Michael Knight and suddenly his only goal was vengeance against a father who tried to replace him.A disgrace to himself walking around as a living breathing insult to his existence.In a way by rebuilding Karr this could be a way to restore balance by insulting his father's wishes of having one man and one car make a difference but in a very negative way.

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Thu May 08, 2014 3:47 am

Knight Racer wrote:I was thinking more along the lines that just after kitt vs karr,Michael sends Devon the location where a F.L.A.G. cleanup crew should come nnd pick up Karr's remains.Decades pass and Garthe decides to pay a visit to one of the Knight Industries storage warehouses.Amongst all the antiques he finds an old black box that he recalls his father's technicians working on before he went to prison for 3 counts of murder.As he reaches to pick it up the black case comes to life with blinking lights.He realizes what he's stumbled across and knows this is the key to taking down an old nemesis.

This story can work without making Garthe president of Knight Industries.In both episodes he never really did anything to reclaim his rightful position in his fathers organization.All he ever really wanted was power and wealth.Along came Michael Knight and suddenly his only goal was vengeance against a father who tried to replace him.A disgrace to himself walking around as a living breathing insult to his existence.In a way by rebuilding Karr this could be a way to restore balance by insulting his father's wishes of having one man and one car make a difference but in a very negative way.
Ah, yes. That wonderful Foundation security. Basically, a padlock with no name. Would certainly be a great, believable way to unite this dark, duo force. Far better then my notion that Garthe finds some newspaper listing of a mysterious electronics box being sold by some college kids that once found the thing out in the drainage ditch. Because, the Foundation _should have_ cleaned up the site, off camera. No proof. But, what they should have done probably was what they did. But, if Garthe is only trespassing and finds the black box, how does he ever rebuild KARR? That, in and of itself, is a small block of the story to be figured out.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Thu May 08, 2014 4:06 am

Well he could have hired a few of the engineers,technicians,cynernicians that worked on the knight 2000 series.Who's to say he didn't keep an eye on his fathers projects back int he day.For all we know he was one of the supervisors of the R&D department and knew most of the people who worked for his father.

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Thu May 08, 2014 4:32 am

It is possible that he may have been there on the research team. -Except-, and I'd really need to rewatch the episodes on this one, wasn't he rotting away in a third world prison while the KITT/KARR 'super cars' were being built? Wasn't the whole reason that he popped up to consider Michael an insult was because he had 'recently' broken out? Seems to me that Wilton only really got started into KARR, once he learned that his health was declining. Up until that point, I 'think' he was busy building an empire to have the funds to hire all these technical minds that could build his super car...that being KARR.

Now, as for Garthe just breaking in to some random Foundation warehouse that's poorly secured. (Probably a padlock and maybe a guard that had to be bribed or delbt with.) The reason as to why he'd do that isn't clear to me. Now, what I could see as reasonable is that Garthe is, once again, after the Molecular Bonded Shell formula. Sure. He once had assembled the formula. But, if memory serves, he kind of let his HQ melt down and he was literally killing the founding fathers on the formula. So, let's just say that he couldn't remember how the formula went. Low and behold, there might just be two possible backup sources for this formula. The two cars that the formula were applied to. (Of course...why he just doesn't try to recover some scraps from Goliath...I don't know. Could the firey destruction from the inside have made the external pieces unrecoverable?) Of course, Kitt would never give it up. (If Kitt even knew how the formula went. Kitt did know when it was neutralized...) If the Foundation did recover and store Karr, they would have also made documentations and databases on where Karr was. So, I propose that Garthe has a reason to break into said storage facility. He's hoping that the remaining component, Karr, can tell him how to recreate the formula. After all, the plot never even remotely established that Karr did or did not know the formula. So, if he knew it...it's fair game.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Thu May 08, 2014 4:44 am

I forgot to mention the reason why he was breaking in.He felt that the reason why Michael kept succeeding was because he had technology that his father created.To level the playing field,he feels he needs an edge over him.He finds out about karr by researching kitt.

We also don't know what the time line was for the events leading up to the conviction of Garthe. Perhaps the car body's weren't around but who's to say they weren't working on some of the tech that went into the Knight 2000 series?

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Thu May 08, 2014 1:00 pm

There probably was some work being done on the K-class vehicles for a long time. I was always given the impression that it was Wilton's failing health that became the big push towards an actual functioning model. He wanted to see his dream come true before his time ran out. Hince, Karr having some issues that could not be ironed out. Well, that and these mysterious people that were dead set against Karr ever coming into existence. There's an entire chapter of history that seems like it was presented to be explored in cannon. Yet, I can't say for sure if it ever was. And, if so, was probably done via the series of books.

Ahhh...researching about what his father had created. Makes an interesting point. Doesn't seem to me like any ordinary library would contain much on that. One never knows, though. Wilton's empire possibly has tidbits flying about. I would think that his dream car would be top secret. However, the show drops hints that his plans were nowhere near as secured as that. It makes me cringe to think of this one line from Team Knight Rider about the bad guy disarming one of the super cars...by slaming his fist into the dash to break a power point. "You'd be surprised what can be learned via the internet." (Or something like that.) But, if there was anyone with those inside ties to the Foundation and it's secrets, I'm sure Garthe could coax it out to learn about Karr.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Fri May 09, 2014 1:08 am

You make an interesting point about the K-class vehicles.In KR2000 kitt says he was originally designed with series 2000 circuitry but if you’ve ever read the knight rider books written by Roger Hill and Glen Larson,it mentions that the jet Devon was aboard flying to Silicon Valley was a knight 2000 series aircraft.This leads me to believe perhaps there were other vehicles that were in the knight 2000 class like a state-of-the-art attack helicopter not unlike Airwolf.Such an aircraft would be a great villain for a fan fiction.Perhaps a Garthe knight makes Goliath II or Karr into a helicopter.

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Fri May 09, 2014 1:57 am

I think there's a good reason that Kitt and Michael only took on one heli throughout the whole series. It's well established that Kitt's Micro Jam has range limits. It's pretty hard for the grounded car to do much else, either. Perhaps, drive up a mountain and turbo off the road for some very short aero maneuvers, quickly followed up with that parachute that just makes KITT a big target. All the heli need have is some advanced payloads of rockets and even a powerful laser while flying relatively high. Majorly one sided problem, there. Remember. The dumb pilot would try to blow away the car. The smart pilot might aim to cause havoc on the landscape, limiting the car or even flipping it like the hard shelled bug it is.

I'm reminded of a very old game called Silkworm. A two player arcade where one player has an attack heli and the other has a jeep that can jump. The game so easily proves that the helicopter has a massive advantage. But, as a team, the two compliment each other surprisingly well.

Not saying the idea of Kitt vs. an aero foe is a bad one. But, it's extremely hard to find a way to let Kitt win. I suppose a surprise attack is possible. Especially when the heli is just sitting on the ground without a running engine. But, that's hardly an action packed victory.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Fri May 09, 2014 1:03 pm

That's the beauty of of having Bonnie and April around.They always seem to invent something to help any situation where kitt couldn't do something he had to for that episode.There were 3 episodes that Michael and Kitt had to stop a helicopter.In Just My Bill,kitt avoided gunfire,while Michael kept kitt under the helicopter and manager to climb aboard,throw the pilot out.In Merchants of Death,they used magnesium flares to draw the heat seaking missiles away from them.While they did manage to stop them by turbo boosting off a cliff and microjamming the engine,I could see them using a similar way to do that again.In Knight Strike,while the villians were using a rope,Michael took the rope and attached it to kitt's winch to real them in.If you'd like an example of how kitt could stop another helicopter,I'm assuming before it takes off he could use his grappling hook and RC3's spike tires with reverse traction to keep it from taking off if it came to that.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri May 09, 2014 10:37 pm

TurboBoostMan - Here's my advice for fan fiction writers: don't write for other people, write for YOU. What are YOU interested in? What parts of the storyline/characters do YOU want to explore? Let it be your vision. There's a good chance some people won't like it, but there's also a good chance some people will. Take your own personal experiences and project them into the story that you want to tell.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Sat May 10, 2014 2:07 am

Knight Racer wrote:That's the beauty of of having Bonnie and April around.They always seem to invent something to help any situation where kitt couldn't do something he had to for that episode.There were 3 episodes that Michael and Kitt had to stop a helicopter.In Just My Bill,kitt avoided gunfire,while Michael kept kitt under the helicopter and manager to climb aboard,throw the pilot out.In Merchants of Death,they used magnesium flares to draw the heat seaking missiles away from them.While they did manage to stop them by turbo boosting off a cliff and microjamming the engine,I could see them using a similar way to do that again.In Knight Strike,while the villians were using a rope,Michael took the rope and attached it to kitt's winch to real them in.If you'd like an example of how kitt could stop another helicopter,I'm assuming before it takes off he could use his grappling hook and RC3's spike tires with reverse traction to keep it from taking off if it came to that.
It has been quite some time since I last popped the season's of DVD's in and viewed. I can't even remember those two other episodes going up against choppers.

And, there's another factor involved. If so much time has passed since Michael retired, Kitt called for help and Goliathe came to steel Karr, who knows what kind of upgrades Kitt may have been installed with. Do we dare consider an example from the games and even remotely envision KITT having ground-to-air missiles and machine guns? Or a far more powerful laser? After all, who knows if Bonnie/April were the only two service tech's in all that time. Notions of a passive approach may have become obsolete with the passage of time. TKR and KR 08 most certainly would seem to agree that Wilton's non-lethal protector of the innocent is passée.

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Sat May 10, 2014 2:13 am

Michael Pajaro wrote:TurboBoostMan - Here's my advice for fan fiction writers: don't write for other people, write for YOU. What are YOU interested in? What parts of the storyline/characters do YOU want to explore? Let it be your vision. There's a good chance some people won't like it, but there's also a good chance some people will. Take your own personal experiences and project them into the story that you want to tell.
That is some good advice. Write it as if you were it's #1 fan. Sure. We, the potential readers, will form our own opinions. (And, since I'm a fellow writer, I'll try to offer any help that I can.) But, write it as if there were no others that would ever read it. Doubts can kill the creative spirit.

Now, I have to question if I feel up to getting back to Teela's little scene. See, she's saying goodbye to her husband at his grave site, during the service. It's a very sad scene...

TurboBoostMan
Operative

Post by TurboBoostMan » Sat May 10, 2014 7:37 pm

Thank you all for all the great and very useful information. I will take all of this into consideration. I have a question though. For the villain, I'm thinking either Adrianne and KARR or Garthe and KARR. Not both and KARR. Only one.

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Sun May 11, 2014 3:12 am

Gads. I must be getting old. I can barely remember Adrianne at all. Was she in Night of the Phoenix (pilot)?