Knight Rider Movie News

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Matthew
Site Administrator
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Knight Rider Movie News

Post by Matthew » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:34 am

AceShowbiz.com wrote:Chris Pratt and Danny McBride in Talks for 'Knight Rider' Remake

The "Knight Rider" remake seems to be on the right track. Schmoes Know reports that "Guardians of the Galaxy" hunk Chris Pratt and "As I Lay Dying" actor Danny McBride are in negotiations to join the project.

Los Angeles Times learns that the big-screen redo to the classic NBC crime drama series is developed by The Weinstein Company. Brad Copeland ("Arrested Development") is hired to write a draft of the screenplay for the upcoming film.

The first "Rider Knight" series first premiered in 1982. Starring David Hasselhoff on the lead, it followed the adventures of Michael Knight, a high-tech modern crime fighter assisted by an advanced, artificially intelligent and nearly indestructible car.

The story spawned a spin-off and several TV movies. In rebooted series which ran for one season only in 2008, the son of Michael Knight, the original Rider, became the main focus. Justin Bruening played the key role, and Val Kilmer voiced his artificially intelligent automobile.

© AceShowbiz.com
Hey guys,

Neil linked me to this article last night, and since he hasn't had a chance to post it yet, I figured I'd save him a job. :good:

So, what do you think?

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

Transparent
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Knight Rider Movie News

Post by Transparent » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:39 am

http://io9.com/we-say-hell-yes-to-this- ... 1522326848" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I bet this version would use the original car too.

I don't want a big serious blockbuster.

I want this.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:10 am

Sweet fancy Moses!!! NOOOOO!!!! this is my worst nightmare. Putting the guy from Arrested Development behind the wheel of knight rider and casting people who have no business being more than the villains of the movie as the stars??? I had a feeling Arrested Development would turn this into a comedy. Don't get me wrong, McBride was great in This is the End and a few other movies but he's definitely no continental sounding Kitt. Pratt's hilarious as Andy on Parks and Recreation but Michael Knight I think not .He did play a great soldier in the last film he was in however these actors can not be casted for these roles. They just don't fit the parts.

DJGM
FLAG Assistant

Post by DJGM » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:07 am

Seems they're planning on remaking KR into a lame comedy. Lest we forget that awful Dukes Of Hazzard movie!
Arrested Development was a good show though, if you like off-beat slightly surreal comedy ... but that ain't KR!

Transparent
Rookie

Post by Transparent » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:16 am

I suspect it will be similar in style and feel to 21 Jump Street, which I really enjoyed.

It doesnt really mock the original, it just amplified the comedy and pointed out the sillyness - which is exactly how you might reminisce about childhood with an old friend.

I'd also put money on them using the original Trams AM (which I suspect wouldn't happen if the material was taken seriously)

Further, I just don't believe we'll ever get a *serious* KnightRider film and frankly if we did it would probably be dross like the 2008 version.

This feels like win and I can see how it might attract people out to see it.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:13 pm

Knight Rider a shadowy flight into the comedic world of a funnyman who does not exist.

tharpdevenport
Operative

Post by tharpdevenport » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:43 pm

The story spawned a spin-off and several TV movies.
Oh, don't you just love how fact-checking goes out the window in simple articles?

Let me help them out: it spawned one TV movie, "Knight Rider 2000". As some fans know, "Knight Rider 2010" had nothing to do with the series, just a terribly concieved name. And even then if we counted that, that's still TWO, not "several".

[Charlie Brown]Good grief.[/Charlie Brown]
And when things appeared to get better, they got worse, and everyday was a day to cry.

Tzigone
Volunteer

Post by Tzigone » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:44 pm

I read the names, but I don't know who any of these people are. Guess I'll just wait and see how the trailer looks.

Tarmac
Rookie

Post by Tarmac » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:33 pm

The recent Robocop movie is how you do a remake, those guys did their homework, they kept some of the satire, plenty of violence and took the human side of his transformation into a robot seriously, the essence of the original is still there.

If these are really the actors for a KR movie, there's no point in watching. Yes the series was self-aware, and there was some comedy, but these guys will turn it into garbage like Dukes of Hazzard, Starsky and Hutch, where they are just mocking it for cheap laughs. What a complete waste of time, hopefully they don't total a few more 3rd gen T/As in the process.

blowersho
Operative

Post by blowersho » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:39 pm

Is KR cursed, how many times does it have to be desecrated?

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:24 am

Besides for a few rumor sources that are copying other rumor sources do we actually have any proof that these actors are making the connection to the Weinstein Company? that they are connected with the production of the movie? They could just be using shots of the actors collected online.If the rumors are true,I'm glad the movie has been stalled for what? a decade now? We can count on David's word for the past 20 years that he is working on reviving KR as a movie.Just enjoy KR for what it once was,a great show in the 80's that lasted 4 seasons.

AppleMacri1980
Operative

Post by AppleMacri1980 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:57 pm

yeah but this is 30 years later and it is hard to re capture the heart and feeling of the show. Be glad Power Rangers made it this far these people can do that so well with out a failure. Knight Rider Dukes Of Hazzard etc is so hard because it's been in the archives for so many years that is why they are having failing problems getting the stuff on the market. Power Rangers maybe a Japanese show but here in America Saban has done so good.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:06 pm

My point is that maybe it should't be recreated or continued.It's been done and fairly well the first time.

AppleMacri1980
Operative

Post by AppleMacri1980 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:09 pm

exactly

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:59 am

Ewww...

Now that it sounds like the movie has been green lit, I'm forced to ponder a rather serious question; Is the studio suddenly going to get very uppity about the franchise and send MS Ken and crew a 'Cease and Desist' letter on their self funded and totally free fan game? After all, it might suddenly come into conflict with merchandising plans on a finished product.
Tarmac wrote:The recent Robocop movie is how you do a remake, those guys did their homework, they kept some of the satire, plenty of violence and took the human side of his transformation into a robot seriously, the essence of the original is still there.
I went into that film, expecting a somewhat tweaked and extremely updated version of the original material.

Actually, I must admit that the movie let me down in a few ways. And, I'm forced to conclude that it's foundation was built around a table of fanatics, debating the various morals around a Robocop world, based in a post 9/11 reality. Then, they added elements from the original source, afterwards.

Think I'll paste my review into the temporary area and link to it.

Just watched Robocop... - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19312

Deveo
Operative

Post by Deveo » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:23 pm

Regarding the new KR movie damaging the fangame, only time will tell. Even if we do get in trouble with the fangame we don't give up easily! :good:

I honestly don't know what to think of the movie itself though. Most remakes of old franchises bring a tear to my eye, not in the positive way if you know what I mean.
'Playing a video game where circles eat blobs is hardly getting into computers.'

-KITT, Soul Survivor

KARR2K2
Volunteer

Post by KARR2K2 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:38 pm

:oops: Whats the opposite of KickStarter, because this movie rumor sounds horrible and should be stopped!!!!!

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:14 am

KARR2K2 wrote::oops: Whats the opposite of KickStarter...!!!!!
I don't know. But, PunchStopper sounds like a rough neighborhood on the net that woud possibly be favored by trolls.

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:42 am

Deveo wrote:Regarding the new KR movie damaging the fangame, only time will tell. Even if we do get in trouble with the fangame we don't give up easily! :good:

I honestly don't know what to think of the movie itself though. Most remakes of old franchises bring a tear to my eye, not in the positive way if you know what I mean.
Good to hear about defending yourselves against the might of the commercialized machine.

I mean, if worse came to worse, I'd take the game 'under the radar'. What I mean by that is that everything KR would be accessed via a 'secret code' and the surface game that everyone could play (especially the studio execs) would just be some kind of mindless driving game that would be like an ultra light GTA type game. Maybe a few missions for some generic dude in a generic car to perform. Just enough top soil to have nobody question a really kick ___ free game like Gran Tour Auto. :lol:

As for reboots...that may very well be one of the toughest things to write for. No matter what you do, there's going to be fans that will nit pick your end product to death for not being too much like what they see through nostalgia glasses. And, if you write, word for word, exactly what the original had, then you're not being original enough. But, if you sway too much, then you're nowhere near faithful enough. It's a very fine line and will never satisfy 100% of the potential audience. Even 50% is an optimistic goal. In all so many ways, you're far better just making a 'based off of' script that doesn't even try to recreate the original source. And, if KR 2010 is any example, don't even try to copy the name. Go with something like Desert Soldier, instead. "They came to kill his wife! But, they failed to destroy her mind crystal. Now, he swears revenge. One man and his car against the evil Desert Plague. With her mind and his metal, he will conquer all. He will claim the title of Desert Soldier." Sure. That's a cheesy way to put KR 2010. But, look how it completely dodges the whole title wave of complaints about NOT being Knight Rider.

james olden
FLAG Recruit

Post by james olden » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:04 pm

blowersho wrote:Is KR cursed, how many times does it have to be desecrated?
lol if so NBC/Universal is the storm cloud.

And for the Kr Motion picture,I'm satisfied as long as KITT talks. And of course they keep the movie dark and not a comedy or spoof like they did with the dukes of hazzard and starsky and hutch movie.
On the Quest for filling in the gaps from right after after Scent of Roses 1986- Knight Rider 2008

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:00 pm

New film the next Michael Knight will be seen in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTZ2Tp9yXyM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yeah I can see him playing Michael as much as I could see Elmer Fudd playing Garthe.

blowersho
Operative

Post by blowersho » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:24 am

Knight Racer wrote:My point is that maybe it should't be recreated or continued.It's been done and fairly well the first time.
Absolutely, just let it be.

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:27 pm

blowersho wrote:
Knight Racer wrote:My point is that maybe it should't be recreated or continued.It's been done and fairly well the first time.
Absolutely not.

Why?

For the new generations. Those that need to know what Knight Rider was and (foolishly) think that something made two years ago is too old for 'their interests'.

blowersho
Operative

Post by blowersho » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:31 am

jup wrote:
blowersho wrote:
Absolutely not.

Why?

For the new generations. Those that need to know what Knight Rider was and (foolishly) think that something made two years ago is too old for 'their interests'.
Why? Because just as Knight Racer said it was done fairly well the first time and all the follow ups have been utter garbage. To each their own but do you really want to see the franchise raped yet again? This time it looks like its going to be some Seth Rogen/Jonah Hill type drivel. If the right script and people came together I would say go for it, until then just let it rest.

Tzigone
Volunteer

Post by Tzigone » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:59 pm

jup wrote:
blowersho wrote:
Absolutely not.

Why?

This doesn't make sense to me. Firstly, because if there was a new movie and the "new generation" liked it, then I still think most of them wouldn't bother watching the original show (it'd be different if the original was movie - two hours is a lot less time-investment). A new movie wouldn't be exposing the audience to something made years ago anyway, it would be exposing them to something made now. Secondly, because new and original ideas and series are a good thing (or can be, anyway). KR was new once, and presumably you liked it. New doesn't mean "bad", either.

I get wanting a new series or movie, and I definitely get wanting it to be good if it is redone, but need - no way. I just can't see a specific entertainment being needed. Especially with the number of movies of old properties we have now (rebooted Star Trek, Robocop, etc.) already serving the same point. I get wanting a new generation to love what you love, but the idea that only KR can show them "old" things can be good doesn't work for me.

On an only semi-related note: I was thinking the other day of how people react to KITT, and then later in the TKR or KR2008 people react differently to talking cars, commenting about GPS and security systems and so on. And now Google and others are working on self-driving cars. So, if those become common, how does that affect KR (new versions) as an entertainment? I mean, first you have how characters react to the car, but beyond that, how viewers react to the entire concept behind the show. Of course, KITT has real AI, and he has a lot of "special features" but I do wonder the audience reception of the concept of the show, how appealing promos are, etc. could be affected by emerging technology.