Re-watching Knight Rider 2008

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Ravagedhobo
Recruit
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re-watching Knight Rider 2008

Post by Ravagedhobo » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:37 am

So been re-watching Knight Rider 2008 season 1 for the 7th time, and every time I watch it makes me realise how much I want there to be a season 2. Maybe one day we will finally get it.

:kittside:

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Re-watching Knight Rider 2008

Post by Knight Racer » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:19 am

I was considering watching that show again.I've only watched it once when it was broadcast on television and once when the dvd box set came out.I remember liking the series towards the end.There's a higher chance of us getting a knight rider movie,which is infinite decimal (something Devon once said about the chances to reprogram kitt to obey another driver) than us seeing a season 2.I feel the same way watching old television shows and take the feeling to another level by looking into what cancelled my favorite shows,if I can get some background info on what happened behind the scenes.What was in store for the show if it wasn't cancelled.

Ravagedhobo
Recruit

Post by Ravagedhobo » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:02 pm

Yea I too liked the ending of the season more then the beginning, and I feel that the beginning of the season was just to setup flag and that if the series had been given the chance it could of been a lot better.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:59 am

I rewatch the first 20 minutes of the first episode from time to time. I think it's brilliant. It's fast-paced, funny, full of action and - most importantly - over-the-top. Fireball KITT was ridiculous, and it totally worked for me. (If you're going to reboot a show about a talking car, you have to go all-in.) The show definitely had quite a few mis-steps, but all the elements were there for it to be something bigger. Unfortunately, the end-of-season changes were too little too late.

It's not coming back.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:40 am

I'm glad we were fortunate enough to experience a new season of Knight Rider. To be able to think it's Wednesday night and to revisit the lmost forgot kr is on tonight after a long day's work. To get together in a full chat room and discuss episodes while we watched.Neil having to open a second chat room times (you rock Neil). I can still remember a dream I had before the news of the 2 hour movie come out. I was watching a new episode of kr season 5,Michael was sitting in the passenger seat of Kitt, and a new driver behind the wheel. I couldn't make out the face. I woke up and thought that would be cool to have a season 5 but it will never happen. Maybe wanting something bad enough helped made it come true.

If there was going to be a season 2, I've always wanted them to make Graiman's mansion the new base of F. L. A. G. and to revisit the garage to find not only ki2t's remains but his A. I. running the entire mansion. remember watching a video clip from one of the people who worked on KR in the 80's said they were going to use the semi from the bank heist episode found in the background of the last scene.

Ravagedhobo
Recruit

Post by Ravagedhobo » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:11 pm

Yea, I remember when the movie first came out how excited I was, then hearing about a new season I was like a little kid on Christmas morning. Each episode I would hog the tv to watch a new episode and even now I still rewatch the season almost on a weekly basis.

james olden
FLAG Recruit

Post by james olden » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:10 pm

Ravagedhobo wrote:Yea, I remember when the movie first came out how excited I was, then hearing about a new season I was like a little kid on Christmas morning. Each episode I would hog the tv to watch a new episode and even now I still rewatch the season almost on a weekly basis.
me too lol i just was waiting for them to explian the fate of flag after 1986 (which they never did)because kr 2000 doesn't exist anymore.
On the Quest for filling in the gaps from right after after Scent of Roses 1986- Knight Rider 2008

Ravagedhobo
Recruit

Post by Ravagedhobo » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:22 pm

james olden wrote:
Ravagedhobo wrote:Yea, I remember when the movie first came out how excited I was, then hearing about a new season I was like a little kid on Christmas morning. Each episode I would hog the tv to watch a new episode and even now I still rewatch the season almost on a weekly basis.
me too lol i just was waiting for them to explian the fate of flag after 1986 (which they never did)because kr 2000 doesn't exist anymore.

I have a feeling it would have been explained more in the next season, to bad it never happened.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:52 am

You're right about that. They did mention that they would have spent season 2 talking about the old series. I read an art let somewhere about that. They also mentioned that they wanted to cement a foundation for their show first.

james olden
FLAG Recruit

Post by james olden » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:48 pm

Knight Racer wrote:You're right about that. They did mention that they would have spent season 2 talking about the old series. I read an art let somewhere about that. They also mentioned that they wanted to cement a foundation for their show first.
Speaking on season 2,the petition to nbc that everyone signed did actually make enough signatures to get attention because its noted on knight rider 2008 wiki. Also i dont know if its true or not but i herd the original plans was to have the hoff as a devon miles character.
On the Quest for filling in the gaps from right after after Scent of Roses 1986- Knight Rider 2008

krkitt1
FLAG Recruit

Post by krkitt1 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:24 pm

As much as I would want the show to come back, I don't think it will.... and I'm sad about that......But, I think if it started out like it was at the end, I think we would have seen a second year....

Ravagedhobo
Recruit

Post by Ravagedhobo » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:51 pm

krkitt1 wrote:As much as I would want the show to come back, I don't think it will.... and I'm sad about that......But, I think if it started out like it was at the end, I think we would have seen a second year....
Yea, or even if they didn't start it like the end I think they could of been quicker with the transition, or do it another way.

krkitt1
FLAG Recruit

Post by krkitt1 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:53 pm

The thing that I didn't like too much was the transformer feel.......

Ravagedhobo
Recruit

Post by Ravagedhobo » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:38 pm

krkitt1 wrote:The thing that I didn't like too much was the transformer feel.......

I definitely like the movie transformation sequence better, it felt more like the nano technology in use.

krkitt1
FLAG Recruit

Post by krkitt1 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:12 pm

True........

Tzigone
Volunteer

Post by Tzigone » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:15 pm

So been re-watching Knight Rider 2008 season 1 for the 7th time,
Sounded appealing. Now I'm doing a rewatch this weekend. But I can't quite remember the proper order - I know the dvds has at lesat some of the last few out of proper order (though probably in airing order?). Anyone got the correct chronological order for those?
Ravagedhobo wrote:
krkitt1 wrote:The thing that I didn't like too much was the transformer feel.......
I definitely like the movie transformation sequence better, it felt more like the nano technology in use.
Agreed. I'm not real big on the show transformation these days. Especially when it transforms into a truck or other non-car vehicle. It looks a little goofy.

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:53 pm

The problem was they had to many people in it for most of the season, moving away from "One man can make a difference" one man and one car..

By the time they rebooted it and it was closer to the original classic series, they had really written it off, as they'd cut the episode order, so wasn't given a fighting chance..

Tzigone
Volunteer

Post by Tzigone » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:03 pm

whet wrote:The problem was they had to many people in it for most of the season, moving away from "One man can make a difference" one man and one car..
That really wasn't an issue for me. I like ensemble casts, and enjoyed the show in its original format (and after). I suppose that may be because I was never a passionate fan of the the original Knight Rider. I like the show, but am only a casual fan. I watched for the first time in syndication/reruns in ca. 1990 when I was 10ish. It's just another action show to me. But I like action shows, and I really like heroes (I have a dislike for characters that are chiefly described "gray" - they usually come off as bad guys with excuses to me). So it's another hero show to me. Actually, I really almost immediately write off any show that has only one main/regular character without even watching, because character interaction is a very important part to me. Two is fine - with KR, you have Michael and Kitt in a "buddy cop" format, IMO, so that works.

Heck, I liked TKR. Low budget and not at all like Knight Rider in structure, but I liked it anyway.

For me, I don't have a strong sense of "Knight Rider should be thisway" but I can understand how others do. I'm that way about Star Trek, which made me hate so much of season 3 of Enterprise (which was never very good, anyway) and really dislike the way the UFP was depicted in parts of DS9 (which I didn't watch regularly). Lot of fans liked those parts, though. Oh well, at least Majel Barrett agreed with me there (if I'm correctly remembering something I read years ago). So, as I said, I can understand how others, particularly more devoted KR fans, wouldn't like the structure, but it was not a problem for me.

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:51 pm

Michael Pajaro wrote:It's not coming back.
Officially on NBC? I'd say no.

-BUT-

In this day and age, when we're no longer limited to just what the TV has to offer and we're no longer limited to what Hollywood can produce, I would not go counting out anything ever making a return. After all, what is Knight Rider? It's a talking car and it's driver. One thing KR '08 proves is that with a good set of CG'ing skills, you can make that car do amazing things.

Now, if it were 1980 and anyone was to even remotely propose making a fan series about a stunt car...THAT would have been so beyond laughable.

Not anymore.

On a rather high end budget, a person can get a replica '08 KITT made. (And, we all know it's happened.) You can film with small cameras the car on-scene. You can write great (or passable) plots. It's possible to CG the car doing stunts. It can all post to on-line video streaming. (Or even underground DVD at cons/online.) If there are multiple teams of people doing fan series of Star Trek out there, (of a wide variety of levels of quality) then one man in his talking car isn't so far fetched, anymore. The computers of the future that KITT was partially about...all those years ago...can now be there to revive him in any form.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:46 am

You make an interesting point Jup. I've felt ever since KR08 ended that there was no chance of bringing back kr without a television production company, millions of dollars to do it right, we're not going to ever see either Kitt again. Now I'm thinking maybe there is hope for a fan made show to bring back kr as webisodes.

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:27 pm

I know how I would do it. Bring it back to the original show's casting level. Invest in a reproduction show car that all the conversations take place in. Park it inside a dedicated garage with green/blue screens on all walls. (Perhaps even the ceiling.) That's where all your internal driving with dialog and reactions will take place. Get a stripped down version of the car to drive on real roads. Utilize any visual tricks you can get away with to make things seem 'action packed'. Because there's not a single fan fiction budget in the world that can support closing down a city street (getting insurance/props/all that nice Hollywood stuff) while jumping (and trashing) your only exterior driving car, do everything with effects. (Both CG and sped up filming techniques.) You can drive your exterior car down public streets with a dead scanner (CG it in post production.) or live on private property. Use effects to drive above the limits. Film on as many locations that are away from legal types as possible. And use consumer grade, handheld cameras to avoid looking like a production. After all, it's the legal types that will probably want money if they even sniff out the use for public entertainment. Completely avoid famous landmarks and legal buildings. (There was this YT video that followed the GhostBusters movie. They quickly learned that most of these famous places either outright said no to filming or demanded money in the range of thousands...just to step inside with the camera. Never mind actually doing anything besides looking around.) Expect to do a lot of outdoor filming in remote locations. After all, the more you can avoid all the legal issues of regular people possibly interacting in your fan fiction film, the better. Keep the plots simple, yet entertaining. Have friends and acting students take part. And, for everything else you may try, don't ever expect to be doing a KITT vs. Goliath super conflict scene.