"Toy Hunter" (a bit o/t)

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Michael Pajaro
Advisor
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

"Toy Hunter" (a bit o/t)

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:58 pm

I've been skimming through episodes of "Toy Hunter" on Travel Channel. It's another one of the rummage shows, where a guy goes around looking for cool old stuff to buy. The host seems to have an attraction to sci-fi/fantasy toys of the 70s/80s, so it's cool to see some of the stuff he comes across. Haven't seen any Knight RIder stuff yet, but I keep hoping.

Anyway, here's what really bugs me about the show. The host will visit some guy with a huge toy collection, and he'll make an offer on something. You can tell the seller is really fond of the toy (he bought it himself 40 years ago, or he still remembers getting it for Christmas as a kid) but will agree, maybe with some haggling. Then in a cutaway, the host will say "I just picked up this awesome thingamajig for $250, and I know I can sell it for $400!"

I understand that this is just a TV show, and there are toy traders like him everywhere. We NEED people like him out there to keep retro toys circulating. But my heart just breaks every time I see the dollar signs in his eyes after watching him take a toy that really meant something to someone.

I have no intention of selling any of my Knight Rider stuff. But if I were, I would want to sell it to another fan or someone who planned on keeping it for a long time. Not someone who just wanted to make a buck.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Re: "Toy Hunter" (a bit o/t)

Post by KITTfan » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:30 pm

Found something about "Knight Rider car", unfortunately no pics about it:
http://www.travelchannel.com/tv-shows/t ... e-pictures" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Jordan sets his sights on Knoxville, TN, where he finds an Evel Knievel stunt set, a vintage Flash Gordon action figure, the Knight Rider car and more."

I never want to sell my Knight Rider stuff either or even my other old toycars but I do understand that people like this toy hunter are needed to make people realize old toys are valuable so it is better to sell them rather than throw them in garbage or something.

vespurrs
Rookie

Post by vespurrs » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:46 pm

I have a lot of mixed feelings about this. My mother worked at Kenner for many, many years, and every so often she was able to bring home some of the market-tested toys for us. At one time, I had the Knight Rider voice car that was on display in their corporate office, along with the box and instructions. And then, when I went off to college, I decided I had 'grown up' and didn't need my toys anymore and everything went part and parcel into garbage bags for the trash.

I have been kicking myself, hard, ever since, because the voice car I tossed looked brand new and worked perfectly. :cry:

Over the past few years I've been able to re-acquire a working voice car with the box and instructions, as well as other toys in my Knight Rider collection that I had tossed previously, and several more toys besides. I am so very grateful to those people who decided somewhere along the line that they could part with their collectibles so that I can enjoy them. And I realize that whoever the Toy Hunter sells these toys to will also more than likely be as happy as I am at their windfall. But ugh, breaking it all down to a dollars and cents game just doesn't sit well in the pit of my stomach, even so. I don't really have any answers here, just a vague sense that maybe there should be something more in his attitude than his financial bottom line. I know he's a middleman, really, a means to an end, but it would be nice if he got excited about his finds for more than simple monetary gain.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:43 am

Thank you KITTfan! The Knight Rider episode aired last year and is available on VOD so I was able to watch it. They had a great segment on the Kenner car, but this blew my mind: He bought the talking Kenner car, "loose in box", missing instructions, for $40. That is a STEAL in my mind. Paying $40 for just the car WITHOUT the box would be a good deal. The buyer said he expected to sell it for $80. Frankly, I think it's worth more than that.

And vespers, everything you said was right on. To traders are very important middlemen bringing collectables into the hands of true fans. I guess it's like chicken nuggets: I don't want to know how they're made, but I'm glad we have people to make them.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Robster
Recruit
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Robster » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:25 pm

I enjoy the show if just to see all the toys I used to have,lol! But I agree,he does come across as a smarmy used car salesman. I had a talk with him last year at NYCC,and will do again this year in just over two weeks time,and he's a nice enough guy. But I bet what I bought at his booth last year he only paid 50-60 bucks for,I paid slightly more of course,even if I did manage to haggle the price down a little,lol!

Btw,totally o/t,but does anyone know if there'll be a KR event in Atlanta again next summer? I never made it this year and I was SOO disappointed! Hoping if I know early I can plan my US trip accordingly.

John-Robin!

krrdr2010
FLAG Recruit
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by krrdr2010 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:05 pm

I agree 1,000% that we need more peope like the Toy Hunter out there looking for the Classic Toys. There are some I've been looking for.