Where is the surveillance mode indicator located?

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

JJohnson
Rookie
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Where is the surveillance mode indicator located?

Post by JJohnson » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:40 pm

It seems we always see it up close, so I wonder - where is the indicator for surveillance mode located? I saw a replica place it at the T-Top once, and others place it under the TVs. How would it fit in with the currency dispenser, printer, and the slide-out box scanner?

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Where is the surveillance mode indicator located?

Post by Knight Racer » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:01 am

Its under the second level of meters under the monitors.The 3rd and 4rth season dash never had it but they reused footage to show the mode being used.

They use a studio dash for those perfect shots with hand models.They also had to adapt it to add the printer or chemical analyzer.Can you imagine how many levels under that dash you would need to get the complete dash?That's not including the blood analyzer used in only one episode.

JJohnson
Rookie

Post by JJohnson » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:13 am

Thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for, I appreciate it. As for season 3/4, I guess I'll just use the same location since I can't really think of anywhere else for it. I doubt I can fit a printer under the dash (darnit!) but, perhaps a 'cash dispenser' that they used very obviously in one episode in season 3 (I think) could be done...might be a handy little tool, lol.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:21 am

I've seen someone's season 4 dash have the surveilance board mounted under the middle panel of meters between the speedometer and the monitor but underneather it.Just the board alone no fiberglass around it.

The auto-currency dispenser was in season 3 knight by a nose.It used the same printer designation for the season 3 dash.All you need to go from printer to money dispenser is a sticker.

There's also the season 3/4 chemical analyzer which got a remake in season 3.

JJohnson
Rookie

Post by JJohnson » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:19 pm

Wow, thanks! That was quick! For the season 3/4, there was no set of 4 buttons (power, auto, normal, pursuit) anywhere on the dash, but the readout panel seemed to act like buttons. For those using a 3/4 dash, does yours integrate buttons there?

KittCARR
Recruit

Post by KittCARR » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:38 pm

Not sure if this helps in anyway, but here are a few shots of my dash that shows the printer prop and a few shots of one of my chemical analyzers:

The season 3-4 dash did have the PANP buttons, but they were part of the dash electronics and were rectangular LEDs. The power button was shown being pushed only a few times.

Joey.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3236658" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:33 am

He's interested in knowing if your season 3/4 replica power, auto, normal, and pursuit buttons cab be pressed on your dash.

KittCARR
Recruit

Post by KittCARR » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:17 pm

No, they can't be. As far as I know, the only manufacturer of dash electronics where the power button is functional/pressable is Advance Designs.

Joey.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3236658" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JJohnson
Rookie

Post by JJohnson » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:19 pm

If Advance Designs is the only one who has a functional button, then it looks like they're the ones I will need to use for that panel.

As far as panels go, what do people do with a season 3/4 whose PANP are not actual buttons? How do they switch between those four lights? And can I use just that one panel from AD and get the other panels from someone else, and not sacrifice usability / functionality / accuracy?

KittCARR
Recruit

Post by KittCARR » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:43 pm

Advance designs doesn't sell his electrical components separately, so you're going to have to come up with another plan for that.

Just curious, why do you need to switch between PANP? Those LEDs serve no purpose on the dash, they're just there for show.

I would recommend just getting the entire set up from ADIAT if that's the look/functionality you want. It wasn't a focal point like it was in season 1-2.

Joey.

JJohnson
Rookie

Post by JJohnson » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:58 pm

You are right, they didn't really do much in seasons 3/4 without the push-buttons. I think I saw it once or twice when Michael pressed the buttons, over using voice command, but I don't remember the episodes.

For me, I'm wanting the dash itself to be actually functional, rather than just a bunch of blinky lights, which is why I was hoping that the board could be buttons. Power would be when I turn the ignition, and to turn off the boards (aside from speedometer, RPM meter for safety's sake) and back on, normal would be the default, Auto for cruise control being set, and pursuit possibly for anything over 65 MPH. That's just a thought for how it would work in my replica.

I'm curious in your replica, you've got a very nice season 3 dash in there; do your lights have actual functions to them (aside from the speedometer/RPM meter, obviously)? Does your car have cruise control set to turn on 'auto cruise'? I've seen a drawing of the s3 dash online which is nice to see it all in one place (since I don't have a replica in front of me, just yet). How do you see the mileage and trip-meter on yours?

And thanks again for the images from your car, they're really well done!