4th Gen. Firebird knight rider dashboard

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

nee716
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: 4th Gen. Firebird knight rider dashboard

Post by nee716 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:56 am

I think if the scanner is directyly under the hood the scanner might be too large. I dunno thats just my opinion. But all the reditions look GREAT!

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:16 pm

Check out this guys 4th gen anniversary T/A, the scanner looks perfect there >>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giRNG6hSGSg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does anybody know him to get in touch with him, I need this installed in my car!!

SH

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:26 pm

Ok, so my dream finally came true!! I found the car in Feb. this year, and a friend reworked and installed an LED scanner. The placement couldn't have come out much better I don't think, just the right length and width. This was the right way to do it!

The scanner is a cheapo from eBay, and looks better than it does in the picture, however it is very thin, and made up of about 50 tiny LEDs. The best thing about it is being able to switch between 7 colors via keychain remote, so I can safely drive with either yellow (sort of KARR), green, purple or white. The other colors in addition to red are blue, and aqua. I can also control the speed and it does many patterns including the scans from 'The Topaz Connection' and 'Soul Survivor'.

The only options that I'm aware of are to go with a Hellfire LED scanner, but with that I would be limited to one color and no speed or pattern options. There is really not much space in this area as the latch and underside of the hood interfere heavily. You've got maybe 2 inches max depth.

Please tell me what you all think of my 4th gen KITT? I've gotten tons of praise for it, wish I had this car years ago!!

I just need to find someone to modify or make me a dash that resembles the 3rd gen KITT one now! Are you working on one Knight Driver?

SH

Another picture during the day to see the cut out a little better:

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:10 am

That type of led scanner fits perfectly for a 97 firebird. The cutout is great. One suggestion though, the sides instead of being square could have been slanted like the 82 model Kitt was. It's such a small detail but yours looks terrific. Great job man!

What we photoshop to make a fantasy Kitt, you make a reality and that's very admirable.

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:04 am

Thanks for the kind words! You guessed the exact year too!

I was kind of surprised that my friend didn't follow the slanted lines of the hood, but I was there when he cut it and I didn't even think about it... But I kind of like that it goes against the grain almost and it is a pretty small detail anyway...

SH

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:16 pm

You're right,it probably would have looked too wide:

Yours makes a better body for kitt than what I would have chosen for him a 2002 trans am body.

For the interior,I would have gone with a season 4 dashboard.

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:55 pm

That's pretty neat, Thanks for letting me see what it would look like!

I think it could work like this as currently the scanner is a tad to short anyway, what's a few more inches. I thought that it would look much worse following the lines.

If I ever modify another car, I would go with your rendition, but still leave the bird in there because I think it's so relevant to the car.

As for the 98+ T/As, they strayed too far away from the 3rd gen look to be considered for KITT in my opinion. Too many bulges and openings...

SH

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:47 pm

Thanks imageshack for not allowing me to share!?! Let's try photobucket:

Also learned from looking at the ND code for vehicles that green cannot be displayed from the front, and I'm going to avoid purple also because it is made from red and blue. Flashing lights unless used as a turn signal are also illegal, so nothing I can do there, but... so far so good, a cop in my town slowed down heavily one day when I passed by him with the lights on white... Haven't been pulled over in over a month now and I've seen several cops either parked or going passed me in the opposite direction...

SH

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:15 pm

Does your state allot the scanner to be yellow?

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:26 am

Amber is allowed, and because yellow is very close, I'm going to say SURE!!

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:30 am

I was going through my replica pics I've collected over the years and found 2 pictures of other people who used 96/97 trans ams for kitt.The first is Cesar Gamino's replica.He used the Pontiac Banshee's nose with kitt's scanner.The Pontiac Banshee was supposed to be the car used in knight rider 2000 but they were forced to make their own car.

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:07 am

Far be it for me with my unperfect nose, but both of them are a bit too small of openings for my taste, but still great renditions! That banshee nose could not have been cheap, too bad the car was totaled.

SH

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:51 am

Which car was wrecked?

JJohnson
Rookie
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by JJohnson » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:14 pm

Wow, Banshee or the 97 Firebird, they look great! I'd have tried an 8-LED lamp myself, but yours looks pretty cool as-is. Is there a turbo hood that looks like the 3rd gen available for that version of the Trans Am?

If it were me, I'd get rid of the firebird, try to add bowling ball hubcaps, and get some blackouts for the back of the car if possible. The later Trans Ams look to round and bubbly to be KITT. KITT just seems to be sleek, simple, elegant, and futuristic, while those 2000s editions seemed so thick, rounded, bubbly, with too many holes in them.

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:19 am

I heard the Banshee was wrecked.

There are a couple of Ram Air hoods (reminds me of the Ram Jet in Goliath) that you can get, and while the nostrils are ok, the rest of the hood is just sort of a bubble, similar to the later model hoods, or 2 nostril channels going all the way back. I want to see a smooth tapering down from the hood to the nose, not a bubbling up.

SH

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:38 pm

Someone took a great shot today of my car and posted it to facebook, those tiny LEDs really reflect from a distance! >>

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:18 am

Well, I did get pulled over back in October after following a state trooper for about a mile with it on. He told me that the light "does not look good" and said I can only use it while parked... I'm sure he had a good story for his work buddies, I pulled over KITT today...

Looking forward to spring when I can take the car out again! Would really like to have the dash to go with the light... Any suggestions? It seems like there are not really any custom 4th gen dashes, so what about getting the 3rd gen installed instead, complete with the steering wheel? I'm sure the mounting would be different, but is it possible??

SH

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Sun May 11, 2014 9:34 pm

So nobody has advice for the dash for my car? I want the 3rd/4th season dash in my 4th gen...

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Mon May 12, 2014 3:56 am

From what I've heard,I think the dashboards too wide to fit into it.Then there's the problem where its illegal to remove the airbags and replace the wheel with the gullwing.I have seen some custom creations though.

I don't know who made this but if anyone has information on it to help spyhunter,that would be great.

It was meant to be a hybrid between the 2 different dashboards.The season 3/4 single large monitor and season 1/2 dash.

jeremy223
Rookie

Post by jeremy223 » Mon May 12, 2014 5:05 pm

I think that is a dash that Don Colie was going to offer for 4th gens. He also made a custom nose and upper console. Rob Louisell also made a 4th gen dash and nose.

I have seen 4th gen dashes swapped out into 3rd gens. If the reverse is also possible, I wonder if a regular KITT dash would fit a 4th gen.

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Tue May 20, 2014 11:51 pm

I'm sure it's possible, it's just finding the right person/shop and shelling out the $$...

That 4th gen dash does not look good at all...

SH

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Mon May 26, 2014 11:38 pm

Who has the latest and greatest dash kits right now anyway?

A lot of times I see parts on different websites, but not really a clear path to get it all installed and finished?

If I had a 3rd gen, are we talking about 10-15K for someone to install it all, fully functional? How much extra for the panels on the headliner and armrest?

Thanks for the info...

SH

mmledwards88
Stranger
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by mmledwards88 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:25 am

Oh my god! That’s my dash lmao! I got rid of all my pics by accident. I been trying to see if it was online anywhere so I could see it again. I sold it not long after I had ADIAT customize the dash back in line 2002 or 2003. Thanks guys! I’m glad I could see it again. The outside was not touched. It was a 98’ Ram Air Trans Am so we were not comfortable with doing any alterations to the outside. I am about to buy another one but I am not customizing this one lol.