1982 Trans Am "Dated?"

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Darknight
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

1982 Trans Am "Dated?"

Post by Darknight » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:12 pm

I know this has been brought up before, but I think it's worth revisiting.

I have heard several people state that the '82 TA body style is dated. Yet, when I view the 2013 models on car lots, I have to think that the 82 TA would more than hold its own among these modern designs, even the more expensive sports cars are lacking inspiration in their lines. What say you?

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit

Re: 1982 Trans Am "Dated?"

Post by Dave Knight » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:49 am

the only thing that makes those 3rd gen and the later all different 4th gen cars was the pop up lights, as of this posting there are currently NO cars built today that have any kind of retractable lights, they are all exposed to give the cars good aerodynamics (something that those pop lights would kinda hamper).
Michael: "You know, your as much fun as a divorce, which is not a bad idea!"
KITT: "I want custody of ME!"

Knight Rider: The Pilot

89IROCNDoug
Operative

Post by 89IROCNDoug » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:54 am

People think it's dated mainly because they just KNOW that it's a car from the '80s. For the most part, I don't think I'll ever think the design is dated. The only thing that seems kind of dated to me is the top windshield area which is very angular; but overall it's a great looking aerodynamic design. I agree that it looks better than most of today's sports cars. And because of today's headlight technology, you can take a 3rd gen TA and install some nice LED headlights or halogen fog lights on the front and never lose the aero and look from having the pop-up lights up for night driving.

:kitt2:
One man did make a difference.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:24 am

I found myself asking the same question a few months ago.I looked at a few stock trans am pics and thought wow those are old looking cars.Then I looked at kitt.With the tail lights blacked out,rear spoiler,t-tops ,front bumper and scanner,proper hub caps/wheels all shined up it can hold its own in the looks department compared to other cars.

The lines on this car make it anything but boring or ordinary.

Darknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Darknight » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:19 pm

Knight Racer,

I think you're right.

As time passes I find myself no less enthralled with the KITT design than when I was a kid. If anything, I'm amazed that designers could have envisioned such a vehicle over thirty years ago. I guess that's when you know you have a classic, if it seems just as impressive today as when it first appeared.

There were cars made in the 60s that look more advanced in design than modern vehicles, even modern sports cars.
Of course, with government standards for safety and fuel economy as they are, it would be hard to design an awe inspiring production vehicle today.

89IROCNDoug
Operative

Post by 89IROCNDoug » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:31 pm

Knight Racer wrote:I found myself asking the same question a few months ago.I looked at a few stock trans am pics and thought wow those are old looking cars.Then I looked at kitt.With the tail lights blacked out,rear spoiler,t-tops ,front bumper and scanner,proper hub caps/wheels all shined up it can hold its own in the looks department compared to other cars.

Hey! You think my stock '84 Trans Am looks old? :x

You're right that the KITT mods make it look more timeless though. :good:

At any rate, this '84 beauty is going up for sale. Any takers? $5,800 and it's yours! :D
One man did make a difference.

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:13 am

Some modern cars have retro design which dates back to the 60's muscle cars or even 40's (Beetle) and I haven't heard anyone saying they're dated.

With todays laws about car safety, crash tests etc. cars now are very chunky, height and width especially is bigger because of thick structures to handle collision forces. Also there's lot of strong shapes and curves in car design today which often look to me overdone and even ugly.
I like much more 80's cars, they have much cleaner lines, good looking shapes, sharper edges and still they're very aerodynamic, for example '82 Pontiac Trans-Am, Audi 100 and Ford Sierra to name a few.

They don't make cars like 80s anymore so perhaps that's why some think they're "dated". Popup headlights have disappeared probably because of pedestrian safety reasons so never can be cars front end be as smooth as '82 Pontiac Trans-Am.

I think '82 Trans-Am is one of the best looking cars ever and KITT even better, the modifications were done with excellent taste, it looks perfect :) Even the interior, KITT's dash fit to the cars style as natural as if the factory designed it originally there. There were other 80's cars where the center of the dash was tilted towards the driver, for example BMW 3-series and Opel Kadett E. Today I see only the latest VW Golf which has slightly tilted dash towards the driver.

kitt34
FLAG Recruit

Post by kitt34 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:30 pm

The 1982 Pontiac Trans am is still as beautiful today then most cars.

blowersho
Operative

Post by blowersho » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:01 am

A stock Trans Am does look a little dated but those few modifications that transform it into KITT makes it look fantastic. The profile of KITT is timeless, long sleek hood with a short rear end which is the classic sports car look, it never gets old. The cars of today for the most part look hideous, there hasn't been a real head turner among average cars for a long time and probably never will be again. As cars get more efficient and safer they will continue to become more and more repulsive looking, it's really hard to imagine any current car looking good thirty years from now.

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:58 pm

Dave Knight wrote:the only thing that makes those 3rd gen and the later all different 4th gen cars was the pop up lights, as of this posting there are currently NO cars built today that have any kind of retractable lights, they are all exposed to give the cars good aerodynamics (something that those pop lights would kinda hamper).
I tend to think that the pop-up light idea was dropped so long ago, because they add a complication to such a necessary feature. I remember from child hood on seeing 'winky eyed' cars. Which is basically when one head lamp does not pop up (or just partially pops up) and the owner never seems to take the vehicle in for the repair. And, it's rather a horrid idea to risk driving at night without one's headlights. So, I tend to think the idea was dropped for reasons of safety vs. owner's lack of maintenance.

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:10 pm

I guess pedestrian crash tests is one reason why popup headlights have disappeared as I can imagine they'd do terrible damage to people if car hit them with open headlights.
Todays LED lights might make basically possible very thin and low front end for cars as there could be very thin line of LEDs and still give enough light. Unfortunately for some reason todays cars have bigger headlight assemblys than ever before and they often tend to look ugly.
There may also be some laws that headlights must be certain height from ground so perhaps it's impossible today to make the front end very low and streamlined as '82 Trans-Am / KITT.

Micaela Knight
Recruit

Post by Micaela Knight » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:33 pm

I think the Trans Am only looks dated because we've gotten used to seeing much boxier cars with more rounded lines. The TA was a great-looking car, and very distinctive. So many cars today look alike; you can hardly tell a Nissan from a Toyota.
I wouldn't touch that one with a ten-foot drive shaft!
Please remove the staple from my fender.

Life should be about love, about being happy.- David Hasselhoff

T.A.H.O.E.
FLAG Recruit

Post by T.A.H.O.E. » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:16 pm

since the demise of Pontiac 7 a lil time before- cars -all cars got butt ugly.... Pontiacs were sexy...even the Plymouth/Chrysler lazer xe design had KR elements & was sexy but underpowered with a 2.2...the mighty S-10 Blazer/Gmc Jimmy- 2door sport 4x4 was a awesome design ( I had one with digital dash & aftermarket voice module ) even the Pontiac Trans Sport was sexy/cool-ala star trek...GM made a BIG mistake. I still want KARR !---not the 'stang version-NO!
" Silence....we have an intruder... "

tuske427
Recruit

Post by tuske427 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:47 am

Aerodynamically speaking- the 1984 Trans Am with the optional W62 Aero Package (ground f/x) was advertised with a .29 coefficient of drag. That is still better than many new cars today. Just one more reason you can use to argue with anyone who would question you driving these cars...

T.A.H.O.E.
FLAG Recruit

Re: 1982 Trans Am "Dated?"-hell no !

Post by T.A.H.O.E. » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:53 am

the KR 'Stang has all the aerodynamics of a twinkie.....a 67 -71 GTX / Roadrunner/70 Superbird /Dodge Daytona was & still is the standard setter...tho a vette comes close the 82-92 t/a is and was just a perfect fit for the KR vehicles...now and forever. I still think KARR should have been stuffed into a 82-85camaro Berlinetta rs b'cuz it'd be a good visual character fit...look at the nose or the interior of the 'digital Camaro" ( I want one even now).....
YEH- I agree with ya !

Nicholas Knight
Operative

Post by Nicholas Knight » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:52 pm

The Firebird is still a headturner with sleekness. I believe its design influenced the 3000 gt, Eclipse, Supra and several new cars. Little known fact.. most of the KR 2010 cast was in the Viper pilot.
Knight Tech Inc. -- Where everyone makes a difference.

T.A.H.O.E.
FLAG Recruit

Post by T.A.H.O.E. » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:49 pm

I WOULD TAKE A 3000 GT-1st gen or the interior ,drive train of a conquest TSI & shoe-horn it all into a '87 Chrysler lazer xt & add a second turbo BUT, make it manual control. the F body design of both the t/a & Camaro were superb 7still turn heads...want a " digital Camaro"- berlinetta ( 82-85) with a KR -2nd season dash /Karrs voice meter.....

SylvesterDean
Stranger

Post by SylvesterDean » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:16 am

KITTfan wrote:I guess pedestrian crash tests is one reason why popup headlights have disappeared as I can imagine they'd do terrible damage to people if car hit them with open headlights.
Todays LED lights might make basically possible very thin and low front end for cars as there could be very thin line of LEDs and still give enough light. Unfortunately for some reason todays cars have bigger headlight assemblys than ever before and they often tend to look ugly.
There may also be some laws that headlights must be certain height from ground so perhaps it's impossible today to make the front end very low and streamlined as '82 Trans-Am / KITT.
Completely agree with your thoughts..Yes some cars have big headlight assembly which is unfortunate..

T.A.H.O.E.
FLAG Recruit

Post by T.A.H.O.E. » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:59 am

AND ADDING TO THAT: vacuum systems suck & tho mech drive systems are better- they short out if wet,etc & add weight...somebody-ANYBODY find me a CURRENT car design ( lambo-aside,vette too) that is a REAL GOOD HEAD SNAPPER/HEAD TURNER as the 82-92T/A--F body.... not so much now huh, folks...?

krrdr2010
FLAG Recruit

Post by krrdr2010 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:08 pm

THE 1982 TRANS AM IS NOT IN ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM DATED!!!! IT IS ONE OF THE COOLEST CARS DETROIT HAS EVER MADE!!!!! :kitt: :kittside: :kittconv: :karr: :kitt2: :dash: :dash4: