What happened to KARR?

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Clare82
Rookie
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

What happened to KARR?

Post by Clare82 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:34 pm

Hello :)
So i'm a bit confused. In the episode Trust Doesn't Rust, doesn't KARR drive off a cliff and explode?
But then in the episode KITT vs. KARR, KARR is found in immaculate condition on a beach...
:?
Does anyone have an explanation as to how this happened? I don't remember it being explained in the TV series but maybe it was and I just forgot :oops:
"One man can make a difference"

theknightling
Recruit

Re: What happened to KARR?

Post by theknightling » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:24 pm

It was just one of many inconsistencies...

basically, they wanted to do another KARR episode and so they needed him to be intact. It was never explained during the shows run. When Trust Doesn't Rust was conceptualized, nobody thought to keep the idea of his return opened.

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Knight-Armen » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:10 am

So i'm a bit confused. In the episode Trust Doesn't Rust, doesn't KARR drive off a cliff and explode?
But then in the episode KITT vs. KARR, KARR is found in immaculate condition on a beach...
If you look closely you will find that it is not a Pontiac driving off the cliff. Ofcourse I'm sure they used another scrap car for budget reasons and they didn't want to wreck the vehicles they had.

The rest is for you to interpret and use your imagination in order to understand how KARR was found later on stranded on the beach yet still in perfect condition.
Michael: Kitt what matters to me is who you are not what you look like. Sure we don't have the car so we can't turbo boost so we can't go over 200 miles an hour but it was all icing on the cake anyway

theknightling
Recruit

Post by theknightling » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:49 am

Knight-Armen wrote:
If you look closely you will find that it is not a Pontiac driving off the cliff. Ofcourse I'm sure they used another scrap car for budget reasons and they didn't want to wreck the vehicles they had.

The rest is for you to interpret and use your imagination in order to understand how KARR was found later on stranded on the beach yet still in perfect condition.

They didn't even bother to use a scrap car, they used file footage from the movie The Car. skip to around 0:35 to see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4qTXo2KCn0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

knightfever
Operative

Post by knightfever » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:58 am

The speculation I've heard that gives me the "fuzziest" feeling about the explosion is that K.A.R.R. was trying to use his Turbo Booster to soften his landing and because he wasn't upright the fuel ignited. The main inconsistency that always bothered me is how his scanner went from red to yellow/amber. I know it's what we would call a retcon now days.

Clare82
Rookie

Post by Clare82 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:03 pm

knightfever wrote:The speculation I've heard that gives me the "fuzziest" feeling about the explosion is that K.A.R.R. was trying to use his Turbo Booster to soften his landing and because he wasn't upright the fuel ignited. The main inconsistency that always bothered me is how his scanner went from red to yellow/amber. I know it's what we would call a retcon now days.
I guess that's a possibility! :P
I wandered about the scanner too! I thought I must've imagined the amber colour... :karr:

knightfever
Operative

Post by knightfever » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:23 am

Clare82 wrote:
knightfever wrote:The speculation I've heard that gives me the "fuzziest" feeling about the explosion is that K.A.R.R. was trying to use his Turbo Booster to soften his landing and because he wasn't upright the fuel ignited. The main inconsistency that always bothered me is how his scanner went from red to yellow/amber. I know it's what we would call a retcon now days.
I guess that's a possibility! :P
I wandered about the scanner too! I thought I must've imagined the amber colour... :karr:
No, you didn't imagine it. Now, in "Trust Doesn't Rust," K.A.R.R. did have a yellow voice box as opposed to K.I.T.T.'s red. I know the official explanation for the scanner being red in TDR would be that it was early in the series and the budget wasn't there for them to develop a different exterior for K.A.R.R. Changing the voice box would have been special fx work and didn't require a physical rebuild. By the time of KvK, they had the budget to make K.A.R.R. different from K.I.T.T.

T.A.H.O.E.
FLAG Recruit

Post by T.A.H.O.E. » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:50 pm

EXTERNALly...KARR was submerged so the saline-salt water,pollutants turned the scanner lenses yellow/amber and made him all the more bitter ( poor,misguided,abused karr-only Garth Knight could be meaner)...as for the interior visual voice mdule indicator-I dunno....his boosters malfunctioned after hitting the rail- his self preservation mode was in full effect but it blocked his sense of both position/direction...otherwise he would have veered and or gone over KITT and proceeded on down the road...till his fuel ran out.- boiled down---fight or flight....KARR tried to mix both....I blame dr.Marko Bario ( see the episode-killer kitt)

I would love to own KARR- a lil re-programming via logical trickery & he'd be fine.
" Silence....we have an intruder... "

blowersho
Operative

Post by blowersho » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:18 am

The TDR novel which came out after the episode had a different take on the KARR saga. In the book KARR explodes because his power source which I guess is like a small atomic weapon becomes unstable due to the lack of maintenance and eventually detonates. He actually tumbles down the cliff side intact, lands on the water, sinks and then explodes under the water.

The episode totally disregards the battery issue and goes with KARR needing beta and lambda circuits and exploding upon impact in the end, I find the book version to be a far better explanation of KARR's demise.

K.A.R.R. (09)
Operative

Post by K.A.R.R. (09) » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:04 am

I agree with TAHOE, that is why his scanner was discolored. I too would like to own KARR and logical trickery would work, appeal to his sense of abandonment and offer to be a permanent driver.

:karr:

T.A.H.O.E.
FLAG Recruit

Post by T.A.H.O.E. » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:25 pm

the 1st meeting of KARR to KITT & all else, ( sorry folks but... ) KARRs voice actuation meter WAS RED,AS IS HIS EXTERNAL SCANNER....in K-v-K ,he went yellow/amber scanner....again,sorry folks ...BUT ...and at the time as with KITT,KARR also knew the formula...tho the salt water did erode it a bit...the only difference-voice/character aside that separates the two vehicles "Is a bit of Programming "- (Thankyou Bonnie ! ) and if ya look, KITS voice meter is different too...( later it is just Like KARRs...or vice versa. ) okay crew? WE GOOD. LETS' GO.....!
" Silence....we have an intruder... "

apollyon2012
Volunteer

Post by apollyon2012 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:33 pm

you have to remember that there were many writers and directors being shuffled around constantly for the old show. when karr was brought back the new crew wanted karr to more easily identifiable for viewers, especially the younger demographic. giving him the 2 tone paint job was the easiest thing to do. in karr's first appearance aside from the voice box being yellow, karr looked exactly like kitt, because as was explained in the show, kitt was based off of karr's design except for his programming. karr was suppossed to make a third appearance in season 5, according to the writer of kitt vs karr, but the show was cancelled during season 4's run as was told in the book knight rider 30 years of a man and his talking car. as for karr returning w/out any reasoning. well i can say is that it was the 80s and if you had a popular character you didn't really need a special way of bringing him back. for example, how many times were freddy, michael myers, and jason brought back? think of karr as being one of those monsters :lol: :karr:

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:44 pm

Not to mention Murdoc from MacGyver who always returned no matter if he was last seen in appearantly deadly situation :lol:

Micaela Knight
Recruit

Post by Micaela Knight » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:51 pm

KITTfan: Yep, that crossed my mind too! KARR was KR's version of Murdoc, he just kept coming back when they thought he was dead. Too bad the show didn't run long enough for him to return a third time.
I wouldn't touch that one with a ten-foot drive shaft!
Please remove the staple from my fender.

Life should be about love, about being happy.- David Hasselhoff

Clare82
Rookie

Post by Clare82 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:43 pm

Micaela Knight wrote:KITTfan: Yep, that crossed my mind too! KARR was KR's version of Murdoc, he just kept coming back when they thought he was dead. Too bad the show didn't run long enough for him to return a third time.
Haha, I was thinking that too! :P

apollyon2012: You're right there :) To me that's one of the best things about the 80s though! :mrgreen:

Clare82
Rookie

Post by Clare82 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:45 pm

By the way, I just want to thank everyone for their ideas/imputs.
I didn't think I would get any or many responces!
THANKS!! :)

J-Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by J-Knight » Sun May 12, 2013 3:07 pm

T.A.H.O.E. wrote:the 1st meeting of KARR to KITT & all else, ( sorry folks but... ) KARRs voice actuation meter WAS RED,AS IS HIS EXTERNAL SCANNER....
Actually that's not true. The VOX remained the same greenish colour in both appearances of KARR

Trust doesn't rust
Devon-"Shall we drink to the start of.."
Michael-"Of what?"
Devon-"One mans Dream"

Clare82
Rookie

Post by Clare82 » Mon May 13, 2013 11:45 am

J-Knight wrote:
T.A.H.O.E. wrote:the 1st meeting of KARR to KITT & all else, ( sorry folks but... ) KARRs voice actuation meter WAS RED,AS IS HIS EXTERNAL SCANNER....
Actually that's not true. The VOX remained the same greenish colour in both appearances of KARR
Sorry to ask, but what's VOX? :oops: :?:

blowersho
Operative

Post by blowersho » Mon May 13, 2013 7:00 pm

Clare82 wrote:
J-Knight wrote:
Sorry to ask, but what's VOX? :oops: :?:
VOX is KITT's mouth or voice modulator.

Clare82
Rookie

Post by Clare82 » Tue May 14, 2013 6:12 am

blowersho wrote: VOX is KITT's mouth or voice modulator.
Oh, okay, thanks :) But what do the letters stand for?

Pac-Man
Rookie

Post by Pac-Man » Tue May 14, 2013 7:45 am

Clare82 wrote:
blowersho wrote: VOX is KITT's mouth or voice modulator.
Oh, okay, thanks :) But what do the letters stand for?

VOX is Latin for Voice. :)
Check out Project: K.I.T.T. - http://www.pac-attack.com/project-k-i-t-t" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Ultimate Knight Rider Map - http://www.pac-attack.com/project-k-i-t-t/replica-map" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Clare82
Rookie

Post by Clare82 » Wed May 15, 2013 7:17 pm

Really? Cool, thanks Pac-Man! I guess you do learn something new everyday!

Nicholas Knight
Operative

Post by Nicholas Knight » Thu May 16, 2013 12:04 am

I've seen in a couple of the classic episodes where KITT turns bad or when somebody gains access to his functions that his scanner did some weird things. I am not sure which eps, maybe Soul Survivor or Killer Kitt. But I consider the amber scanner a security protocol or an upgrade, since TDR Karr was more plainish, while in KvK, Karr was devious and calculating. Even in the 08 series, that version of Karr was determined to have Mike Knight as his "partner" deceiving Agent Torres and disobeying his protocol. But his own selfishness led to his destruction.....and having no nanotechnology ....lol
Knight Tech Inc. -- Where everyone makes a difference.

Clare82
Rookie

Post by Clare82 » Thu May 16, 2013 6:46 pm

Nicholas Knight wrote:I've seen in a couple of the classic episodes where KITT turns bad or when somebody gains access to his functions that his scanner did some weird things. I am not sure which eps, maybe Soul Survivor or Killer Kitt. But I consider the amber scanner a security protocol or an upgrade, since TDR Karr was more plainish, while in KvK, Karr was devious and calculating. Even in the 08 series, that version of Karr was determined to have Mike Knight as his "partner" deceiving Agent Torres and disobeying his protocol. But his own selfishness led to his destruction.....and having no nanotechnology ....lol
What weird things did KITT's scanner do? I'm pretty bad at noticing things like that! :roll:

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Fri May 17, 2013 10:35 pm

Original Karr's scanner is orange cause of damage. Karr 08 is a no go, he had a weird/creepy feeling for Mike as his operator/driver could have been awesome but it was wasted, My opinion is that the amber scannner was just to differentiate the two Mustang's (same as half silver paint KARR got) I'n TDR they both had red scanners and difficult to distinguish between the pair of them.