Ten 'Knight Rider' Knock-Offs That Failed Miserably

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

EdwardKnoxII
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Ten 'Knight Rider' Knock-Offs That Failed Miserably

Post by EdwardKnoxII » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:54 am

http://www.thegeektwins.com/2012/02/ten ... d.html?m=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some of these I don't agree with. Mainly Airwolf.

Aydann.
Rookie
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: Ten 'Knight Rider' Knock-Offs That Failed Miserably

Post by Aydann. » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:31 pm

Very interesting, thank you for sharing!

Am I the only one who's worried about Glen Larson's future 'Feature Film' after seeing all his show's which failed badly?
Fingers crossed it won't be added to that list.
One man can make a difference, Michael.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:36 pm

It's an interesting list with a bad headline. The author may have disliked all of those shows, but many were not failures at all.

Team Knight Rider was a moderate success for Universal because it did well in the international market.
Airwolf was pretty much a hit for CBS - it ran for several seasons.
Knight Rider 2000 did extremely well in the ratings - I think it was #4 for the week?
Viper didn't do great for NBC but enjoyed a healthy run in syndication.

These shows did not fail miserably at all.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Dave Knight » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:03 am

Another Knight Rider knock off from the 80s was Turbo Teen a boy while driving his car gets hit with a beam and he gets combined with his car. because of this he can turn into his car and when in car form he can drive himself, and when he talks his voice sounds a lot like what they did to Daniel's voice when he played KITT back in the day. it only lasted like 14/15 episodes but has gained a some what 'cult' following and is not on DVD but Warner Bros (who bought all the rights to Ruby Spears Productions the company that did TT and other 80s toons) is slowly releasing old cartoons/TV shows, and movies on their warner bros archive site. I posted some clips from a bootleg DVD of a handful of episodes on youtube, just do a search ;).

Dave
Michael: "You know, your as much fun as a divorce, which is not a bad idea!"
KITT: "I want custody of ME!"

Knight Rider: The Pilot

Aydann.
Rookie

Post by Aydann. » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:14 pm

Dave Knight wrote:Another Knight Rider knock off from the 80s was Turbo Teen a boy while driving his car gets hit with a beam and he gets combined with his car. because of this he can turn into his car and when in car form he can drive himself, and when he talks his voice sounds a lot like what they did to Daniel's voice when he played KITT back in the day. it only lasted like 14/15 episodes but has gained a some what 'cult' following and is not on DVD but Warner Bros (who bought all the rights to Ruby Spears Productions the company that did TT and other 80s toons) is slowly releasing old cartoons/TV shows, and movies on their warner bros archive site. I posted some clips from a bootleg DVD of a handful of episodes on youtube, just do a search ;).

Dave
I think this is what you're talking about!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_haRIsvqvG4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One man can make a difference, Michael.

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Dave Knight » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:15 am

ha, that is one of the videos I uploaded to my YouTube account a few years ago (my YouTube name is DaveMcFly).

buckolaci
Recruit

Post by buckolaci » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:33 pm

Yes, Highwaymen was awesome. I used to watch it on Pro7 back when I still lived in Europe. The theme song was the best and Jane Badler was...well badass. There were 2 semis in the show. One had a chopper as the cockpit and the other one...well you have to see the show. I think it only lasted like 10 episodes though, honestly the stories were pretty sucky.
One man can make a difference

knightfever
Operative

Post by knightfever » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:06 am

"It was intended as a sort of spin-off of the original series and even featured a guest appearance by David Hasselhoff as Michael Knight."

This guy needs to re-watch the show before he writes about it. It was not The Hoff that appeared in the season/series finale. The only one he made a featured appearance in was the BDP of the 2008 Knight Rider movie. Like everyone else, I disagree that all of these series' failed miserably. I do agree with him on 2010. I never understood how that was supposed to be Knight Rider. I always thought they did that just to get the KR fandom to tune in so they could get high ratings. When I saw it, I had high hopes. When the "Michael Knight" character makes it to the junk yard, I was thinking "Cool!! He's going to find KITT!!!" But then my hopes were dashed and I watched the rest of the movie only out of morbid curiosity.

tuske427
Recruit

Post by tuske427 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:28 am

Dave Knight wrote:Another Knight Rider knock off from the 80s was Turbo Teen a boy while driving his car gets hit with a beam and he gets combined with his car. because of this he can turn into his car and when in car form he can drive himself, and when he talks his voice sounds a lot like what they did to Daniel's voice when he played KITT back in the day. it only lasted like 14/15 episodes but has gained a some what 'cult' following and is not on DVD but Warner Bros (who bought all the rights to Ruby Spears Productions the company that did TT and other 80s toons) is slowly releasing old cartoons/TV shows, and movies on their warner bros archive site. I posted some clips from a bootleg DVD of a handful of episodes on youtube, just do a search ;).

Dave

I remember that show as a kid, too. I think the transformation had to do with temperature change. He got hot and changed. something like that. I'm sure it was no coincidence the car looked like a 3rd gen T/A also.

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:07 am

I actually enjoyed watching Viper... I thought it was cool whenever the red viper would morph into the silver defender...

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Dave Knight » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:03 am

tuske427 wrote:

I remember that show as a kid, too. I think the transformation had to do with temperature change. He got hot and changed. something like that. I'm sure it was no coincidence the car looked like a 3rd gen T/A also.
yeah heat changed him to car, cold turned him back, I always thought he was a blend of the F cars (camaro/firebird) and a mid 80s Nissan 300ZX 'mainly the interior and dash/steering wheel'.

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:42 pm

I'm really not sure what to make of the Statement about Streethawk; "Rex Smith was no David Hasselhoff."
KITT: I walked right into that one, didn't I?
Michael: More like Turbo Boosted.

Clare82
Rookie

Post by Clare82 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:04 pm

KRAvengerII wrote:I'm really not sure what to make of the Statement about Streethawk; "Rex Smith was no David Hasselhoff."
:lol:

So...any 80s TV show that starred a male character with a form of transport was a failed knock-off of Knight Rider? :wink: Hehe!
"One man can make a difference"

knightchi
Volunteer

Post by knightchi » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:36 pm

I thought turbo teen was awesome!

AppleMacri1980
Operative