New to old kr!

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

edouardo
Volunteer
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

New to old kr!

Post by edouardo » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:19 am

Hi I'm a toy collector and big fan of the Knight Rider series, but 2008 because that was my childhood. Now that I am in college and have a part time job, I can afford a few luxuries such as getting the dvd of the Knight Rider 2008 series and a model car that I can paint to make it look like the GT500KR Kitt in hero mode. I also got a season 1 dvd collection of the original knight rider because i am interested to check out the roots of this.

Since i am what you would call a KR newbie, may I ask a few things? Where can I buy an authentic GT500 Kitt? I saw one in amazon, but it doesnt look genuine. Any scale is fine but maybe not the 1:18 because they are still expensive for me. I am starting to watch the old series and am in episode 7 already. Takes a while to draw interest but i am getting hooked! Why though does old kitt get easily broken when he tows a simple car but has no problem pushing trucks or bumping into small jets or jumping great heights? Also can anyone theorize who would "win" in a collision between old kitt (bonded shell) versus new kitt (nano chassis)?

I also saw a knight rider 2000 movie and it says that the new series invalidated it. Upon reading it just says that Michael comes out of and back into retirement? Can't they just make it such that Knight Rider 2008 happened after Knight Rider 2000? Also is there any mention of Dr Graiman in the old series? Because I only keep hearing about Wilton, Devon and 2 other scientists but none seem to fit Graiman's description.

Lastly are there any books regarding both the 2008 and 1982 series which i can get to further my knowledge?

ps is team knight rider like an alternate future or it is still part of the universe? is it also a good buy (dvd collection)? and that a-team and megaman are just coincidences

knightfever
Operative

Re: New to old kr!

Post by knightfever » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:14 pm

Welcome to KRO, Edouardo.

As far as I know, there never has been an official release of the Shelby GT500KR Knight Rider. Most people buy the one that was released by Shelby Collectibles and then add the cosmetic stuff to make it look like KI3T. I just bought the car itself and left it at that. They didn't really do much to KI3T to distinguish him from a stock Shelby Mustang.

As far as KITT being damaged in "Deadly Maneuvers" by towing the car, that was just one of those early show ideas that was later scrapped. It is possible that either jumping through the truck or knocking the jet wing off in the pilot did cause some damage. In the epilogue of the episode, Devon reprimands Michael for damaging a "virtually" indestructible vehicle. My opinion on your question about a collision between the 2000 and the 3000 is that the 2000 would probably decimate the 3000. The 2000 has the mbs, which makes his shell extremely hard where the 3000's shell allows him to be damaged and then repair. But I don't know if he could repair himself after a collision which would likely tear him apart.

The main reason for the invalidation, or inconsistency between KR2000 and the new series, is that in the movie, The new car is the Knight 4000, and in the 2008 series, it's the Knight 3000, putting the cars out of order. That's the only reasoning I see there. Since this is just my opinion, I'm sure there are thousands more. LOL

Team Knight Rider seems to exist between KR and KR08. The Ford connection is definitely there between TKR and 08. But they hinted that Jenny, the driver of the Mustang, was the daughter of Michael Knight. So I guess she would be Mike's little sister?

Aragorn
Volunteer

Post by Aragorn » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:27 pm

1. I'm with Knightfever on this. Provided 3000's rate of repair is faster than the damage output, then it wouldn't stand a chance. I also wouldn't trust its durability that much as regular handgun rounds were able to scratch/slightly dent it. 2000, on the other hand, has "survived" a collision with a similarly shelled semi that was several times its weight and accelerating at an almost equal pace.

As for the tow, etc damage, I believe it is only the fragile internal circuitry that was affected.

2. Knight Rider 2000 also had a Demolition Man-type futuristic tone to it.

3. Or half-sister, given Michael's proclivity to women ;)

edouardo
Volunteer

Post by edouardo » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:32 am

Thanks for the replies! Already almost done watching season1 and i must say old kitt is a physically superior model, whereas new kitt is more advanced but prone to hacking and tech bugs.

What season does michael traceurs mom appear in? And is it really her? Also why no mention of devon in kr2008?

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by imranbecks » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:12 am

Enjoyed the series while it lasted... It didn't start off really well but it was better towards the end of the series...

Still loving my 1/18 Knight Industries Three Thousand.... :-)

knightfever
Operative

Post by knightfever » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:16 am

Mike Traceur's mother only appeared in the NBC Pilot movie.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
She was shot and killed in that episode which is why she never appeared in the series.
The only way to see that episode/movie is to get the DVD set.