Sneak Peek of New Hot Wheels 1/18 KITT!!

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Sneak Peek of New Hot Wheels 1/18 KITT!!

Post by imranbecks » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:43 am

The packaging is exactly as I'd expect it would be.. Keeping in line with the rest of the Elite models they have done. Black KITT on the black box looks perfect! Sadly, it looks like they didn't fix the tires/wheels.. Overall, it looks like a big improvement over the ERTL 1/18 KITT.... Still looking forward to it!

I think the 1/43 looks ok. Though as I had expected, it still doesn't look as good as the 1/43 KITT that Aoshima did many years ago.

MrSmith
Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by MrSmith » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:15 pm

Thanks for the pictures, very nice.

I guess everyone though needs to be mindful .....

that as previously mentioned there is going to be more expensive and detailed versions released,

so up to you if you buy this one now or hold off for the ultimate versions.

MrSmith
Operative

Post by MrSmith » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:19 pm

imranbecks wrote:The packaging is exactly as I'd expect it would be.. Keeping in line with the rest of the Elite models they have done.

yes the black box keeps in theme with the other Hot Wheels Elite models, however..

This is the first one they have put a star from the show on the box

The A-Team van doesn't have the A-Team characters featured on the box
Neither does the Ghostbuster's ECTO -1

A minor tidbit, I would assume this is because they would have to pay royalties or commissions to actors

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:28 pm

I have to ask,is this the most expensive model car Hot Wheels has ever made?

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:34 pm

Knight Racer wrote:I have to ask,is this the most expensive model car Hot Wheels has ever made?
The Super Elite 1966 Batmobile went for about $300.00US.
Phil
On Facebook & MySpace :-)

"One man can make a difference. Like Orville Redenbacher"

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:36 pm

Is it me or do the rims look too small? The sizing on the Ertl/Aoshima model seem to have gotten it closer.
Phil

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:56 pm

Thanks for posting the pics - is there any way to view them at a larger size?

1:18 looks very good overall, just the wheels that are a little odd. The 1:43 seems to be mis-shapen though, and a red decal for the scanner is a little disappointing compared to the Aoshima 1:43s.
MrSmith wrote:I guess everyone though needs to be mindful .....

that as previously mentioned there is going to be more expensive and detailed versions released, so up to you if you buy this one now or hold off for the ultimate versions.
I'd be surprised if it addressed any innacuracies, like the wheel rims, tbh. I would expect it to be the same moulds - the only difference between the various Hot Wheels price points are the details like photoetched parts & tampos, and the type of box. There are lots of Ferrari models that have been released at three price points for comparison, so there is precedent to gauge any likely improvements.

Hot Wheels recently released a "Heritage" (i.e. cheaper) version of the A-Team van - the model is essentially the same as the Elite released last year, but with minor details omitted or simplified; photo etched wipers are replaced with plastic ones, no aerials on the roof, tyre markings and licence plates have been omitted etc.

I should imagine the Super Elite for next year is similar, just adding in the sounds and upgrading small parts to the model you see in the photos.

I'm no convinced that they'll end up selling many anyway - the RRP on these is bad enough (I'll wait a few weeks and pick one up with a big discount on eBay), but a £350 model of KITT that is likely to be based on this one? What can they possibly add to make it worth more than double the price?

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:12 pm

The packaging with the picture of The Hoff is a very nice touch!

We'll probably see higher resolution photos of the final product soon, for now, these will do. The more I look at the photos of the 1/18 car, the more I feel that it is based on someone's KITT replica. One feature I like on the model from what I can see so far are the working t-tops. Really hope it isn't messed up or comes off easily like the ERTL one was. Looks solid nonetheless.

Such a pity about the wheels though... In comparison with the prototype images from a few months back, it looks like they fixed the wipers and removed the seatbelts, but I'm really surprised Hot Wheels didn't do anything about the wheels/rims which was the part that stood out the most on the prototype.

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:34 pm

Agreed.
Phil

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:23 pm

I do have higher resolution versions of all pics - will try and upload them tonight for your critical eyes. :)

Tbird100636
Recruit

Post by Tbird100636 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:35 pm

I don't know, in some of the new pictures of the 1:18 model it looks like they improved the wheels... a little... the wheels on the 1:43 actually look better.

MrSmith
Operative

Post by MrSmith » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:44 pm

neps wrote:I do have higher resolution versions of all pics - will try and upload them tonight for your critical eyes. :)

Will the HotWheels Elite people send you a review model for the website?

It would be a nice plug for them and for the model

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:58 pm

Can't wait to see those high resolution photos!

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:01 am

Here are the high res shots - at 2500px wide, enjoy!

http://knightrideronline.com/merch/hotw ... _large.zip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (~6mb)

Some nice details to see - check under the hood for KITTs CPU. (tho wouldn't that be underneath?) Also I think I have to get a job at Universal just to get them to stop making licensees use that horrid typeface.

I'll leave up the images for 24 hrs, so grab them quick!

Motor_Head
Volunteer

Post by Motor_Head » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:06 am

Link doesn't seem to work Neps.

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:14 am

Motor_Head wrote:Link doesn't seem to work Neps.
Here ya go... Download the zip file :-) >>>> http://knightrideronline.com/merch/hotwheels/

The photos look great!

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:18 am

Sorry - updated the previous post, here is the url again: http://knightrideronline.com/merch/hotw ... _large.zip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:29 am

Thanks for the photos neps!

As expected, Hot Wheels got in all the tiniest details... Even the stickers on the license plate that states the month and year!!!! Never have I seen that on a scaled model before! What a nice touch! And it will have the revolving license plate to KNI 667 just like what DST did on their 1/15 KITT...

Looking at those high resolution photos, the amount of details done on the 1/18 KITT is just insane!!! I see plenty of small details and markings.. Even the engine under the hood has the FLAG insignia and is labeled "ALPHA CIRCUIT". The Pontiac emblem is visible on the hubs too! The readouts on the dashboard looks really good and is really readable. A sharp eye would also notice the green dotted "LED" details on the pedal, which realistically shouldn't actually be there since its a season 1/2 dashboard. Overall from the photos, the car is very nicely done, very detailed and unlike anything I've seen done before... But as mentioned many times, the only downside are the wheels. The rest of the car looks really good!

Tbird100636
Recruit

Post by Tbird100636 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:06 am

Very detailed. With higher res. pictures the wheels still look too small compared to the tires on the 1:18. It has a season 2 dash, as indicated by the red "PURSUIT" light under KITT's voice modulator. BUT... they painted the lights on the sides of the gas pedal from season 3. The licence plate is season 1 with the registration stickers. Someone else mentions a while back a lack of a black cargo shade, which it still doesn't have.

But I'll still buy one when it comes out. One more thing, I'd like to see what the scanner looks like now in operation.

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:33 am

Tbird100636 wrote:Very detailed. With higher res. pictures the wheels still look too small compared to the tires on the 1:18. It has a season 2 dash, as indicated by the red "PURSUIT" light under KITT's voice modulator. BUT... they painted the lights on the sides of the gas pedal from season 3. The licence plate is season 1 with the registration stickers. Someone else mentions a while back a lack of a black cargo shade, which it still doesn't have.

But I'll still buy one when it comes out. One more thing, I'd like to see what the scanner looks like now in operation.
The scanner would probably still look like this as it was on the unpainted prototype >>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTY_-pmyv_g

I really wish they could've printed some graphic images for the tv monitors on the dashboard instead of just leaving it blank and in blue!

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:37 am

Thank you for the high-res photos. You can see some very nice detailing in them - they fixed the wiper blades from the prototype, there's mesh in the vents behind the front wheels, indicator repeaters are plastic parts and not just tampo prints, mats in the foot wells etc. It looks like a superb model. Just a shame they didn't fix the wheels/tyres when they looked to have got them spot-on with the resin sample shown at the Toy Fair 12 months a go.

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:23 am

It does look like a superb model! Can't wait to get my hands on it!

For now, some comparison shots between the ERTL 1/18 KITT and the Aoshima 1/43 KITT with the ones from Hot Wheels....

1/18 Hot Wheels Elite KITT vs 1/18 ERTL KITT

1/43 Hot Wheels Elite KITT vs 1/43 Aoshima KITT

DiggiDiDuck
Recruit

Post by DiggiDiDuck » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:14 pm

Hey, mein Name is André and I am almost new in this forum. I am not quite happy with the 1/18 Elite modell. There are to many discrepancies for such a "high detailed" scale model. In my opinion the new pictures can not be the final one - rather an extended prototype. The size of the wheels might be the final one, but the rubber wheels on the rims are not realy accurated mounted. You can see this on the highres pictures. Furthermore no details like letters have been added on the side of the wheels like Ertl has. Another point is the streaky looking rear window. On the first prototype it looks quite clear. That cannot be serious.
That's it for now
Thanks

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:25 pm

Seeing as we are already reaching its release date, I'm confident that those images are of the final product that will be released. And there shouldn't be any letters on the tires. ERTL/Aoshima got the tires wrong with the white letters. The same Goodyear Eagle GT letters were there on the real car, but it was barely visible in the show as the letters on the tires were black...

DiggiDiDuck
Recruit

Post by DiggiDiDuck » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:37 pm

Of course not white! Dont Ger me wrong! As every tire got a number or name on it, the blank ones just look boring and not accurate.