Sneak Peek of New Hot Wheels 1/18 KITT!!

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Pierre
FLAG Recruit

Re: Sneak Peek of New Hot Wheels 1/18 KITT!!

Post by Pierre » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:25 am

I have one , but I Would Like à knight rider licensed one. With scanner wheels orb dash light

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by imranbecks » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:50 am

Pierre wrote:I have one , but I Would Like à knight rider licensed one. With scanner wheels orb dash light
There never was an officially licensed Knight Rider GT500KR. I did see a custom of that model where the person added in lights for the orb and scanner. But who knows, maybe Aoshima or Hot Wheels, perhaps maybe even Diamond Select Toys might venture into it in the near future.. I really hope it'll be done.. But seeing as the show itself was a failure since it lasted only one season, I have doubts we would ever see it made.
Last edited by imranbecks on Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matthew
Site Administrator
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Matthew » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:19 am

kittvskarr1984 wrote:
imranbecks wrote:Unless you do the models yourself, there probably would never be a 100% screen accurate scale model of KITT. You might as well say that all the toys and models released in the past and present for KITT were all an insult to Knight Rider then...

No, its not the 1/18 KITT, but how's this for an accurate KITT? Insulted? Hahahaha.. Its my KITT minimates...I love it!

Good for you. That is what car model manufacturing companies want is people like you who will buy anything as long as it says "knight rider" on the packaging no matter how inaccurate the model looks. And yes, past and present models (except for the 1/43, 1/24 aoshima kitt which are almost accurate and the model of marcos) are an insult to kitt and knight rider.
Maybe you missed my post, but it's time to agree to disagree, and move on. :good:

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:16 pm

Sample pics of the 1:18 KITT from Hot Wheel Elite website:

mvgs2011
Operative

Post by mvgs2011 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:59 pm

The interior is good. Good finishing.

But how I said: The fender needs more angle to be more thin and consequently the nose too, The 82 firebird has a declination to behind on T-tops, the line between T-tops is too big, the tires are too big, the rear wing is out of scale.

mvgs2011
Operative

Post by mvgs2011 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:04 pm

The windshield wiper is under the hood. It`s wrong.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:50 pm

I think they got the entire left side of the dash molding wrong:

mvgs2011
Operative

Post by mvgs2011 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:18 pm

The dash wrong. I can`t believe!!! Oh God! Maybe It´s because the picture is far.

mvgs2011
Operative

Post by mvgs2011 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:21 pm

The picture of prototype the dash is right:
Attachments
hotwheelselite_kitt_42-thumb-500xauto-5999.jpg
hotwheelselite_kitt_42-thumb-500xauto-5999.jpg (66.24 KiB) Viewed 27281 times

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:41 pm

The wipers and wheels were the first parts I noticed that did not look right when the photos of the prototype were shown a few months ago. Hope those wld be fixed.

knightdriver
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightdriver » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:27 am

Well,

Out of everything, I really have to give them credit on those PMD seats.
they got them near perfect. The look, the shape, even the logo on the seat.

Any other model kit or toy (including basic Pontiac models) have always made thier PMD seats
look like skinnt flat recaro seats.

The dash looks pretty decent to me. I am sure you would get a better look if the pictures were
larger. The whole thing looks fine to me.

Yes, we get your constant whining about the nose. Looks like a 4th season bumper with the
grills and turn signal covers added. Looks to be a second season overhead too.

They ended up with a nice product in the end.
Brian - Knightdriver.com

knightdriver
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightdriver » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:30 am

mvgs2011 wrote:The windshield wiper is under the hood. It`s wrong.
I own a full sized replica and my wipers do not sit under the hood. They are pretty much
were they have them. Theres may be a bit high but they are not supposed to be under
the hood.
Brian - Knightdriver.com

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:30 am

This is still the prototype model - it says on the HW Elite website that these are "Deco Master Pictures - Not Final Images".

I wouldn't expect huge changes - these are due out in about 13 weeks, so they're probably being produced now to ship before Xmas.

Nice shot from the front though, with the red scanner. On the Ertl model the scanner had a white lens.

mvgs2011
Operative

Post by mvgs2011 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:13 am

knightdriver wrote:
mvgs2011 wrote:The windshield wiper is under the hood. It`s wrong.
I own a full sized replica and my wipers do not sit under the hood. They are pretty much
were they have them. Theres may be a bit high but they are not supposed to be under
the hood.
I`ve never seen a full sized replica, only by pictures. In the pictures the wipers aren`t so out of the hood. Look the picture, we can`t see them.
Attachments
KARR.jpg
KARR.jpg (145.17 KiB) Viewed 27145 times

mvgs2011
Operative

Post by mvgs2011 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:16 am

Guys, sincerely, I look at the picture above and the car in the picture is too different of Hotwheels model. I don`t think that They will change the prototype to final product.

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:23 am

Still very excited for this model.. A quick note though that ERTL did a good job in hiding the wipers on their 1/18 just like how it was on the real car, pretty confident Hot Wheels would do the same... Fingers crossed. It still looks great overall and the interior is really nicely done.. Very nicely done in fact.

KittCARR
Recruit

Post by KittCARR » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:25 am

I`ve never seen a full sized replica, only by pictures. In the pictures the wipers aren`t so out of the hood. Look the picture, we can`t see them.
You have to remember the windshield on a trans am has a black border going all the way around it, including where the wipers sit, so they are somewhat hidden due to the fact that they blend in. I own a full size 3-4 replica, and as Brian said, the wipers don't sit hidden under the hood, they are quite visible.

That being said, I know there has been much talk about this model, but I for one am thrilled that hot wheels would even spend the time and money making a model of this caliber for the fans, so It's quite exciting. I know I'll be getting one. I think we all have to admit it is the nicest, most accurate model produced to date.

Joey.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3236658" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:41 am

KittCARR wrote: That being said, I know there has been much talk about this model, but I for one am thrilled that hot wheels would even spend the time and money making a model of this caliber for the fans, so It's quite exciting. I know I'll be getting one. I think we all have to admit it is the nicest, most accurate model produced to date.

Joey.
+1 on that! Its gonna be a great addition to the KR collection!

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:49 pm

I could see that they were going for a pilot episode dash with the words knight two thousand on the wheel,the square voice modulator,and the horizonal lines on the speedometer curve meter.I see they were going for a season 4 exterior with the nose break lights being one peice instead of the covers.The license plate is season 3/4 since it doesn't say the month and year in the corners.They also didn't put on a black or tan privacy protector under the trunk,Tires are also inaccurate i think those are the 14 inch rims when they are supposed to be 15 inch.The entire car is supposed to be lowered a few inches.Kitt wasn't a stock pontiac trans am they changed a bunch of specs around like the line lock breaking system,etc.

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:45 pm

The same thing happened with the ERTL 1/18 KITT.. That model had a season 4 nose but a season 1 dashboard and it also had the KNIGHT plate without the month and year. That was a pretty decent model at the time and it probably still is today. For some reason, manufacturers keep getting the dashboard and the nose of the car mixed up so we usually end up getting a season 1 and season 3/4 KITT all in one model..haha..

No doubt, the only part that really bothers me on this Hot Wheels KITT are the rims. Not so much on the wipers. I wanted to pre-order this at Entertainment Earth, but the price for it there, including overseas shipping to Singapore is just crazy. Its scheduled for a November 2012 release by the way >>> http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodi ... FNq6RiBcnw

I'll wait till its released, hopefully I can get it locally or elsewhere at a decent price much like I paid for the Elite Ecto-1...

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:42 am

Here are some clearer shots of the dashboard on the model.. Other than the flaw on the left side of the dash as mentioned above, I have to say, as expected from Hot Wheels, its insanely detailed.. down to the smallest detail!!!

Tbird100636
Recruit

Post by Tbird100636 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:03 am

I hate to point it out, but are the Fuel Computer displays and the Power/Auto/Norm/Pursuit switches missing on the lower right side of the dash???

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:15 am

The license plate frame is missing the part with the 2 screw holes.

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:26 am

Tbird100636 wrote:I hate to point it out, but are the Fuel Computer displays and the Power/Auto/Norm/Pursuit switches missing on the lower right side of the dash???
Yes, those detail under the two monitors are missing. Again, these are images of a prototype model and I'm sure the final model will have those details added. Judging by their immaculate details on the range of Hot Wheels Elite models, I don't think Hot Wheels would want to leave out obvious details like that on the final product of KITT.
Knight Racer wrote:The license plate frame is missing the part with the 2 screw holes.
:shock: Please tell me you are being sarcastic or just joking around coz if not, then that would just be ridiculous. 2 screw holes? Seriously? This is a model, not the real car. You might as well have Hot Wheels screw in real screws for that part if you want screw holes there.

tuske427
Recruit

Post by tuske427 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:45 pm

mvgs2011 wrote:Oh I forgot, when I said about the joke, was because You said that the car wasn`t accurate since existing the laws and rules. Of course I don`t agree with that. If it were, Minichamps, AutoART, Exoto couldn`t to make models.
Marcos:

Thank you for posting more pics of your model. I'll agree it looks better there. The images you've posted previously make your model look different.

I'm not using that as an excuse to defend all sculpting innacuracies, but what you need to realize is Mattel works under stricter rules than Mini Champs, Autoart, Exoto, etc. They are the world's largest toy company. They get more attention and scrutiny by everyone (governments, organizations, media, etc) and need to be more socially responsible for the products they make. An example is Greenpeace attacked Mattel last year about deforestation issues. You can find articles online all about it, but here is one: http://www.brandchannel.com/home/post/G ... ivism.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; You don't see greenpeace going after Mini Champs, Autoart, Exoto, etc.

Part of being socially responsible is making sure their products (whether collectibles or low priced toys) meet certain safety and manufacturing requirements. So this can and does affect aesthetics from time to time. You commented on the thick divider between the t-tops. That's likely to support drop test issues. There is a metal frame around the trunk hatch (aesthetically wrong- but again to support pull tests I'm sure) So sometimes some compromises need to be made to ensure a quality product.