K.I.T.T. VU Meter

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Dave1974
Stranger
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

K.I.T.T. VU Meter

Post by Dave1974 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:10 pm

Hello,has anyone on here bought a build your own Knight Rider VU meter from Jupiter Electronics and had success completing it and working properly? If so,please message me back. I am having a problem with it and need some help. Thanks,Dave

corlando52
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: K.I.T.T. VU Meter

Post by corlando52 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:06 pm

I bought the PC boards from Jupiter and then bought this VU meter kit from Jameco, which makes the circuit building easier and actually ends up cheaper than trying to find all the components needed:
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... _147643_-1

I built the Jameco meter, and connected it with an 11 wire ribbon cable (ten LEDs and ground) to the Jameco LED PC board.

I don't know if this helps. Post your question and I'll see if I can help.

Chris

KiTT316
Rookie

Post by KiTT316 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:48 am

Chris,

do you have any video of this unit in action? How does it work exactly? I know nothing about electronics, but if it only powers 10 LEDs, do you need more than one of those circuits?

Like I said, I know NOTHING about electronics!

-Matt

corlando52
FLAG Recruit

Post by corlando52 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:14 pm

The board from Jameco should be able to power all the LEDs in the Jupiter circuit. I made a similar Vu meter from scratch, using only a schematic I found on line, which ended up being wrong anyway. I found the problem and fixed it, and amended the schematic. If you've never done anything with electronics, especially if you have never soldered a board, I would recommend just buying a voicebox already made, either by Jupiter or somewhere else. They are pretty common and can be bought for under $200. Wiring a PCB board, especially for a voicebox, is pretty tricky and it takes an experienced hand.
Here's a link to my original voicebox.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW7l_fNF ... e=youtu.be

Chris

Dave1974
Stranger

Post by Dave1974 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:31 pm

Chris,I have almost the same LED board you have from Jupiter. Mine has the Auto,Normal,Pursuit on it. But still the same setup. My thing is,I have a board from Jupiter and a picture for where to put the chips on the board.Doesn't give me specific directions. But when it is all together,some of the LEDs on the bar graphs light up and some of the others short out. He has the collector of the transistor going to ground and the emitter going to the LEDs. Everybody I spoke to said the PNP transistors emitter is always going to ground and the collector should drive the LEDs. No matter what I do,I can not get it to work like yours on your You Tube video. I don't know if there is anything else that got fried or not. I bought a new LM3915N-1 chip and more Bar Graph LEDs but haven't done anything yet because I am afraid of shorting those out as well. I can try to get some pictures of what I have and maybe you can make some sense of it..
Thanks,Dave

corlando52
FLAG Recruit

Post by corlando52 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:20 pm

The voicebox I have on YouTube is not the one I used the Jupiter board for. I hand built that one from scratch using a schematic I found on the Internet, but it wasn't right and I had the same trouble you seem to be having. I bypassed the transistors out of the circuit and wired directly to the LEDs, and it works as you see it in the video. Also, the schematic originally had the common leads of the LEDs wired to ground, but they should be wired to positive. After I made those two modifications, everything worked fine. Here is my modified schematic. It still shows the transistors, but like I said, after nothing worked, I bypassed them.

Chris

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative

Post by Joe Huth » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:50 pm

Chris - do you have any pictures of the voicebox you scratch built using this schematic? Just curious to see the detail of how you put it together. I am considering doing the same.

Thanks!
Joe
Knight Rider Historian - visit my website: http://www.KnightRiderHistorians.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Co-author of Knight Rider Legacy

Dave1974
Stranger

Post by Dave1974 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:15 pm

Chris,
I have this diagram also. Can you show some pictures of how you have it wired please? If I can get this to work then I won't have to buy that other board from Jameco you told me about. I just want to see how you did the mod other than looking at the diagram because I'm still a little confused looking at the picture.. Thanks,Dave

corlando52
FLAG Recruit

Post by corlando52 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:21 pm

Joe Huth wrote:Chris - do you have any pictures of the voicebox you scratch built using this schematic? Just curious to see the detail of how you put it together. I am considering doing the same.

Thanks!
Joe
Sure! Here are some pics while I was building it, and there's also a link to Youtube of it working:

I used clear Plexiglass that I bought in Home Depot for the overlays..Just painted them black, masking out the places that would be clear. I copied a screenshot from the show for the words and letters, put them in position and copied them onto a clear acetate sheet.
Here's the YouTube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0C04AmP ... playnext=1

or a longer one, taken by my cell (which is why the video is sideways:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbBQ7VGT ... e=youtu.be

Chris

piobaxter
Stranger

Post by piobaxter » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:17 pm

How much will it cost for a pc board?

corlando52
FLAG Recruit

Post by corlando52 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:02 pm

The voicebox group sold by Jupiter, which is where I got mine, is $30. That includes the voicebox face board (display board), the voicebox circuit board, and the 4 step countdown circuit board.

http://www.jupitere.com/k200/discontinued.htm

Chris

wilba2880
Stranger

Post by wilba2880 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:18 pm

hi guys i am totally new to this sort of electrics but a fan of KITT. I am currently modding my bmw e36 328i which is a beauty in black and to set off the interior i am trying to get a voice box like the ones in this post but without the button i just simply want KITTS led's to jump to the sound in the car. I have spoken to maplins who tell me it cannot be done without a huge amount of stuff and chips. Now i remember the 80's and had a stereo that had a sort of graphic equalizer with lights that bounced up and down rapidly so it cant be that difficult can it? Any ideas on where to go and how to do this. Thanks in advance guys.

corlando52
FLAG Recruit

Post by corlando52 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:46 pm

wilba2880 wrote:hi guys i am totally new to this sort of electrics but a fan of KITT. I am currently modding my bmw e36 328i which is a beauty in black and to set off the interior i am trying to get a voice box like the ones in this post but without the button i just simply want KITTS led's to jump to the sound in the car. I have spoken to maplins who tell me it cannot be done without a huge amount of stuff and chips. Now i remember the 80's and had a stereo that had a sort of graphic equalizer with lights that bounced up and down rapidly so it cant be that difficult can it? Any ideas on where to go and how to do this. Thanks in advance guys.
Try Jameco for an LED vu meter:

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... _147643_-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You might need some transistors to wire in the 3 rows of LEDs instead of just the one, or you can buy 3 kits and then wire all of them to the output of your radio.

Chris

Urocyon
Stranger

Post by Urocyon » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:18 pm

I taked a look at the circuit and realized that the emmiters from the transistors array aren't connected to a positive source of voltage (+) :roll: . The transistor array pretend to form a buffer so the led driver (LM3914) can handle the loads, i mean, the leds. This is because the integrated circuit can supply a limited amount of current at its outputs, and the transistors can handle much more. To make the circuit works as is spected, just do the connection of all emmiters to the Vcc (positive side).

Regards. :good: