Update on 1:15 KITTs from Diamond Select Toys

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

neps
Site Administrator
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Update on 1:15 KITTs from Diamond Select Toys

Post by neps » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:47 pm

NYC ToyFair is going on this week, and Diamond Select took the opportunity to show an updated 1:15 KITT and SPM KITT. With the press portion beginning today, we are beginning to see some photos of their booth containing these models.

These aren't the final models, but are more further along than what we were last seen at SDCC
DSC04308.jpeg
DSC04308.jpeg (127.69 KiB) Viewed 34137 times
DSC04309.jpeg
DSC04309.jpeg (118.22 KiB) Viewed 34137 times
DSC04310.jpg
DSC04310.jpg (113.16 KiB) Viewed 34137 times
thanks to ASMzine.com for reporting!

http://toyfair12.asmzine.com/gallery/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OKC KNIGHT
Operative

Re: Update on 1:15 KITTs from Diamond Select Toys

Post by OKC KNIGHT » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:33 pm

Thanks for update !! :good: Looks like the front fogs light up !! lol :mrgreen:

I have the 1/15 BTTF 2-3 cars from DST very good stuff !!!!!!

Dave
Specializing in 1982-1992 Firebird/Trans Am Parts since 2002 and the ONLY seller of High Quality KITT Taillight blackouts

My contact Dmcman108@yahoo.com

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:10 pm

What I don't understand is why do those cars look stretched like what we were shown a long time ago.But the ones we have are small compact ones?

What ever happened to this version of the minimates?Even Michael looks taller like those GIJoe figures we had as a kid.

Pierre
FLAG Recruit

Post by Pierre » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:00 am

don't like them they use the ertl joyride and just make it bigger

OKC KNIGHT
Operative

Post by OKC KNIGHT » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:50 pm

Knight Racer wrote:What I don't understand is why do those cars look stretched like what we were shown a long time ago.But the ones we have are small compact ones?

What ever happened to this version of the minimates?Even Michael looks taller like those GIJoe figures we had as a kid.

You have to realize that this is a HUGE 1/15 scale car and the Kenner toy car was around 1/36 scale

Just be happy us KR fans are getting all these cool toys :good:

Dave
Specializing in 1982-1992 Firebird/Trans Am Parts since 2002 and the ONLY seller of High Quality KITT Taillight blackouts

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:04 pm

It indeed is great that we are being treated with new KR stuff now even 30 years later :) Cool toy indeed, there's no ready-made SPM KITT anyway, only the Aoshima plastic modelkit but I'm very bad at putting modelkits together so ready-made models are welcome.

theknightling
Recruit
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by theknightling » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:21 pm

Knight Racer wrote:What I don't understand is why do those cars look stretched like what we were shown a long time ago.But the ones we have are small compact ones?

I think you might be confused, these are not the minimates, same company, but a different line featuring more realistic versions.

...and as for your other question, the minimate of the standard KITT hasn't been released yet.

Tannim31
Rookie

Post by Tannim31 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:36 am

They featured KITT from DST on Dvice.com, they are saying a working scanner AND lit dash :shock: :mrgreen:

http://blastr.com/2012/02/9-geeky-tv-sh ... ctib.php#8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Knight Rider KITT Cars Aside from the General Lee, there was no cooler car in the '80s than Michael Knight's tricked out, stuffy-voiced, jet black Knight Industries Two Thousand (or KITT) sports car. DST Toys is creating two versions of that iconic TV car: the standard KITT car or the Super Pursuit Mode KITT. Both will have the red lights in the grill and a light-up dashboard, as well as feature actor William Daniels' original voice of the artificial intelligence computer. (Available in July.)

BOOOOYAHHH!!!!!!!!!

corlando52
FLAG Recruit

Post by corlando52 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:19 pm

I hope this is just the prototype. It's not really that nice. Nose is all wrong, body looks stunted....

Chris

theknightling
Recruit

Post by theknightling » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:59 pm

I'm sure there are some treaking that will be done before it is released.

but, I am excited about these!!!! light up dash!!!! scanner!!! William Daniel's voice!!!

We've gone years and years without anything exciting to buy in regards to Knight Rider Merchandise and now all in this year i'm going to need a second job just to buy all that Diamond Select and Hotwheels is putting out.

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:30 am

Here is a sneak peek at what the 1/15 KITT can do!!! The lights and light up dashboard looks really impressive! Looking forward to this and the 1/18 Hot Wheels KITT!!!! What a great year for Knight Rider!

A video of the Diamond Select Toys Knight Rider 1/15 KITT Electronic Vehicle Prototype Sneak Peek >>> http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4070951604502

They can do without the white/translucent plastic piece that covers the lights though coz its really an eye sore... A black piece would look better. Hopefully the final product won't have that white plastic, it shd be black. Otherwise, its promising and would give the Kenner Voice Car a run for its money...

2K&3KKITT
Operative

Post by 2K&3KKITT » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:51 pm

SAVE KNIGHT RIDER! Sign this petition! I was #205! One of the first!
http://www.gopetition.com/online/23816.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:kittspin:
Read my Stories!
http://kileandkasey.webs.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

knightdriver
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightdriver » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:21 pm

That dash looks HORRIBLE!
Brian - Knightdriver.com

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit

Post by KFCreator » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:50 pm

It's hard to make out the clarity on the dash from the video but the fact that it lights up, flashes and KITT's voice modulator blinks in time with the sound clips is awesome in its own right. I'd say to anyone who might be quick to criticize the authentic quality of this (or other Knight Rider toys/models) to be a lot more patient and forgiving, especially considering that the description on the video says that this isn't even the final prototype, which means it's likely that the production model will look better in some ways. Remember too that this is a *toy* and not a replica scale model and some compromises have to, and will, be made. For me, I'm super pleased with their scanner light, the fact that KITT actually has sound clips from the show and that the fog lights, taillights and dashboard all light up and flash. Sure, the nose could be better and the clear plastic pieces are a bit annoying but even if this ships looking like this, any serious fan could do a mod job and make it look more authentic on their own if they truly wanted to. It amazes me that there are people in this community that are so quick to blast the work that companies like this are doing to give us more Knight Rider products that we can own and enjoy. We should all be grateful that new Knight Rider products are even still being produced 30 years after the show came out. I am and I won't take a single product that comes out now for granted seeing as how the powers-that-be could decide tomorrow that Knight Rider as a franchise is done and let the legacy fade into obscurity, which would mean we'd never see another new product again.
"One man can make a difference. You can make a difference in someone else's life. You can make a difference in your own life." -- David Hasselhoff

corlando52
FLAG Recruit

Post by corlando52 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:01 pm

KFCreator wrote:It's hard to make out the clarity on the dash from the video but the fact that it lights up, flashes and KITT's voice modulator blinks in time with the sound clips is awesome in its own right. I'd say to anyone who might be quick to criticize the authentic quality of this (or other Knight Rider toys/models) to be a lot more patient and forgiving, especially considering that the description on the video says that this isn't even the final prototype, which means it's likely that the production model will look better in some ways. Remember too that this is a *toy* and not a replica scale model and some compromises have to, and will, be made. For me, I'm super pleased with their scanner light, the fact that KITT actually has sound clips from the show and that the fog lights, taillights and dashboard all light up and flash. Sure, the nose could be better and the clear plastic pieces are a bit annoying but even if this ships looking like this, any serious fan could do a mod job and make it look more authentic on their own if they truly wanted to. It amazes me that there are people in this community that are so quick to blast the work that companies like this are doing to give us more Knight Rider products that we can own and enjoy. We should all be grateful that new Knight Rider products are even still being produced 30 years after the show came out. I am and I won't take a single product that comes out now for granted seeing as how the powers-that-be could decide tomorrow that Knight Rider as a franchise is done and let the legacy fade into obscurity, which would mean we'd never see another new product again.
Well said. If I may interject a couple of things. Seeing as this is the pre-prototype, if you will, I think they may put some kind of overlay, either a decal or transparency, over the dash when they finalize it. Just my thoughts, but it seems to me they went through an awful lot of trouble to get it to light not to finish it off with a detailed dash.
Last thing... it seems they have taken a Season 3/4 nose and mixed it with the Season 2 dash. All they have to do is add the turn signal covers to the nose and it will be accurate.

Chris

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:09 pm

KFCreator wrote:It's hard to make out the clarity on the dash from the video but the fact that it lights up, flashes and KITT's voice modulator blinks in time with the sound clips is awesome in its own right. I'd say to anyone who might be quick to criticize the authentic quality of this (or other Knight Rider toys/models) to be a lot more patient and forgiving, especially considering that the description on the video says that this isn't even the final prototype, which means it's likely that the production model will look better in some ways. Remember too that this is a *toy* and not a replica scale model and some compromises have to, and will, be made. For me, I'm super pleased with their scanner light, the fact that KITT actually has sound clips from the show and that the fog lights, taillights and dashboard all light up and flash. Sure, the nose could be better and the clear plastic pieces are a bit annoying but even if this ships looking like this, any serious fan could do a mod job and make it look more authentic on their own if they truly wanted to. It amazes me that there are people in this community that are so quick to blast the work that companies like this are doing to give us more Knight Rider products that we can own and enjoy. We should all be grateful that new Knight Rider products are even still being produced 30 years after the show came out. I am and I won't take a single product that comes out now for granted seeing as how the powers-that-be could decide tomorrow that Knight Rider as a franchise is done and let the legacy fade into obscurity, which would mean we'd never see another new product again.
Well said my friend! :good: :good:

I couldn't have said it better myself. Too much criticism on the recently announced models and toys of KITT. We all should be grateful that 30 years since Knight Rider, now in 2012, we are getting new Knight Rider products. We won't get any Knight Rider products every year. I doubt we will get any next year. The fact that its the 30th Anniversary of Knight Rider is an obvious reason as to why Hot Wheels and Diamond Select Toys are going all out with their Knight Rider license and for that, I'm grateful. I really hope many KR fans here are grateful for that too. No doubt, the model or this 1/15 KITT isn't perfect, but its good enough and it isn't really as bad as some people make it out to be, same goes for the upcoming 1/18 model.

Back to this DST 1/15 KITT, it is a toy after all, catered more towards the kids maybe or some adult collectors like myself. And toys these days will always have lights and sounds..haha.. The dashboard will probably have decals for added detail so it won't just be the lights on the dash flashing. The scanner movement looks similar to the ERTL 1/18 KITT, no doubt an improvement over that scanner. I too like the fact that the voice modulator is in sync with KITT's voice and it only blinks when KITT talks... That really is a nice touch. According to a DST rep, they have plans on making the white translucent plastic piece on the front and rear look darker and are working on it. But it has to be translucent of course so the foglights and rear tail lights can shine through. Lets not forget that there will be a SPM KITT in this scale as well from them which they will probably release around the same time as this or perhaps next year.

Strange thing though is that for some reason, DST keeps getting the dash mixed up.. Same goes for their Minimates KITT which has a season3/4 1-tv dash but a season 1/2 nose.. It doesn't bother me actually, but its just odd for them to mix things up...

blowersho
Operative

Post by blowersho » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:29 pm

OKC KNIGHT wrote: You have to realize that this is a HUGE 1/15 scale car and the Kenner toy car was around 1/36 scale

I agree, it's fantastic that so many products are coming out this year. This models dash could be a lot better, at 1/15 scale a lot more detail can be put in easily. Kenner made multiple models/toys, one of them was probably 1/36 scale. The Knight 2000 voice car however was not 1/36, it was much bigger. In fact it was bigger than the 1/18 ERTL, probably around 1/15 or even 1/12. The MK figure that went inside was pretty big and that figure would look like a giant next to the ERTL.

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:40 pm

blowersho wrote:
OKC KNIGHT wrote: You have to realize that this is a HUGE 1/15 scale car and the Kenner toy car was around 1/36 scale

I agree, it's fantastic that so many products are coming out this year. This models dash could be a lot better, at 1/15 scale a lot more detail can be put in easily. Kenner made multiple models/toys, one of them was probably 1/36 scale. The Knight 2000 voice car however was not 1/36, it was much bigger. In fact it was bigger than the 1/18 ERTL, probably around 1/15 or even 1/12. The MK figure that went inside was pretty big and that figure would look like a giant next to the ERTL.
Yeah.. The KITT voice car was definitely not 1/36 scale.. Its close to 1/15.. Maybe it is 1/15 or close to that.. I don't have that voice car so I can't be sure, but I know it was big, and definitely bigger than 1/18. Really wish I have it.. Its probably one KR toy I've always wanted to add to my collection. But the price it is going for at ebay is insane.

blowersho
Operative

Post by blowersho » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:16 pm

imranbecks wrote:
blowersho wrote:

Yeah.. The KITT voice car was definitely not 1/36 scale.. Its close to 1/15.. Maybe it is 1/15 or close to that.. I don't have that voice car so I can't be sure, but I know it was big, and definitely bigger than 1/18. Really wish I have it.. Its probably one KR toy I've always wanted to add to my collection. But the price it is going for at ebay is insane.
I used to have the voice car but that was a long time ago. They are expensive on ebay but when the right one comes along I plan on buying one. I have started a collection of KR products for my niece and nephew, I told them that I will pass it on to them, they will pass it on to their children/grandchildren and so on. My niece had a difficult time understanding why she can't open the toys and play with them. She understood when I told her that if we open them they will eventually be lost or broken but if we leave them in the packaging one day she and her brother will showing all these products to their offspring.

OKC KNIGHT
Operative

Post by OKC KNIGHT » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:48 pm

While looking for the small mini mate cars at TRU,Their internal inventory system showed a KITT for $50 :? .So will this be available at TRU or ??? :?

Dave

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:30 pm

OKC KNIGHT wrote:While looking for the small mini mate cars at TRU,Their internal inventory system showed a KITT for $50 :? .So will this be available at TRU or ??? :?

Dave
Yup.. Looks like it'll be released soon.. Can't wait! Pretty sure it will be easily available at TRU once its released. Thats for the regular 1/15 KITT without the Michael Knight figure of coz. The one with the figure is an exclusive available only online and will only be released next year.

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:57 pm

Cancelled my order for it at HLJ and I pre-ordered it from Entertainment Earth. I recently got my hands on the Knight 2000 Voice Car, and its really cool to have the car with the Michael Knight figure.. What a classic toy. So I'd love to have this one from Diamond Select alongside that voice car. So I think its better to get this with the exclusive Michael Knight figure. It would just be incomplete to have the car come without Michael. >>> http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodi ... FPfKUQt3Zs

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Dave Knight » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:24 pm

the only thing I HATE on this 1/15 KITT is the HUGE gap between the edge of the hood and the scanner. I know that the scanner is in that spot on the top half of the SPM nose but to have that gap on the regular version is just retarded. I would gladly forfeit a working scanner lights to have a nose with no huge gap between the scanner area and the edge of the hood like on the mini mates KITT.
Michael: "You know, your as much fun as a divorce, which is not a bad idea!"
KITT: "I want custody of ME!"

Knight Rider: The Pilot

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:02 pm

The Minimates KITT suffered the same problem of having the huge gap on the nose and some visible enclosed SPM parts on the product image released of the Minimates KITT. Ended up, the final version for retail of that Minimates looked a lot better than the photo released from DST. I think the same would be for this DST 1/15 KITT... hopefully.

The final product released for sale looked better and nothing like the one in the photo above, it had no scanner gap and no visible closed up SPM parts on the sides, smooth finish all around :good:

The 1/15 DST KITT would make a perfect companion for my recently acquired Knight 2000 Voice Car and I can't wait to compare them both :D

blowersho
Operative

Post by blowersho » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:54 pm

Dave Knight wrote:the only thing I HATE on this 1/15 KITT is the HUGE gap between the edge of the hood and the scanner. I know that the scanner is in that spot on the top half of the SPM nose but to have that gap on the regular version is just retarded. I would gladly forfeit a working scanner lights to have a nose with no huge gap between the scanner area and the edge of the hood like on the mini mates KITT.

They do that to save money, two different front ends would require extra molds and tooling. I find it very annoying as well, at $60 per item one would think they could make that change and still make a decent profit.