My Hitari KITT and his Evil twin Skippy...err KARR

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Tannim31
Rookie
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

My Hitari KITT and his Evil twin Skippy...err KARR

Post by Tannim31 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:48 am

Morning all!
Thought I would show you what I have been working on as of late. I got my second Hitari KITT in the mail a few days ago and went to work with primer paint and a soldering iron! I replaced the red LEDs with rectangular yellow ones and primed and painted the lower half, getting as close as I could from pics I have of KARR. I will add bright white LEDS to the fog lamps later. KITT, next week will be getting a proper new scanner I ordered from evilmadscience.com and KARR will get a redone scanner from KITTs "hand me downs" lol, vid of that when it's done :)

knightprowl
Operative

Re: My Hitari KITT and his Evil twin Skippy...err KARR

Post by knightprowl » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:56 pm

hey man, just wanted to ask if you could do this for me also, what i want is this, idk if ya can do all of these or not but plz try, anyways here goes...

kitt and karr with only the 4 inner foglights, just like season 3 karr and season 3/4 kitt, cover up the 2 outer foglights with yellow bulb without seams if possable to look like it was like that originally, and remove outer foglights bulbs, make it not work anymore...

make taillights for both of them if possible with reverse lights too, making the taillights and reverse lights out of 1 led for each of the 6 taillights and 2 reverse lights, also making the taillights and reverse lights themselves, semi tranparent for all the 6 red squares with black center where led goes, and black lines like they have, same for the reverse lights, but white and correct shape since there diffrent then taillights shape, as they should be, having them bright enough to look correct to shine through the 6 red tailiights and 2 white reverse lights, with black semi transparent rear cover like on real kitt and karr, barley seeable when off, but very seeable when on, should turn on and off via a button, reverse lights only come on when going backwards like in real life, separate from foglights and scanner lights...

make scanners with 8 bulbs of leds as they should be, high powered and bright, red for kitt, amber for karr, also turn on and off via a button, separate from taillights, reverse lights and foglights...

make all 4 inner foglights work, able to turn on and off via a button, separate from taillights, reverse lights and scanner lights...

remove or trim front plastic covering wires as it looks you did for yours...

make antenna in clear tube on back gone and wite hidden if possable, as its annoying, looks like you did this for yours as well...

make new soundboard using only the scanner sounds for kitt and karr, since both are diffrent, to turn on and off via a button, separate from scanner lights, taillights and foglights...

make all 4 side indicators clear and with working lights leds, also color the indicators to be correct, 2 front ones orange and 2 back ones red, to look correct when lights are off but clearish and semi transparent when on, to look correct always on or off...

make hubcaps shiny like the car itself as it should be like on the show, not dull as it is orginially...

well thats pretty much it, pretty much as accutate to the real cars as possable, like a small scale real kitt and karr pretty much, anyways ill need to know if you can do this or not, what you can and cant do as i want and how much itll cost, so plz let me know when you can, anyways ttyl thanks and peace

Tannim31
Rookie

Post by Tannim31 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:30 am

It will be over $150.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Knight Racer » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:41 am

Skippy....really....I know somebody who's gonna get a laser shot up the rear for renaming his acronym.

Sentient
Killer
Intelligent
Prototype
Production
Yeti

You try finding a word for Y! lol.

Tannim31
Rookie

Post by Tannim31 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:28 am

we can try Skippie lol

Sentient
Knowledge
Interface
Production
Prototype
Intercept
Eliminator

knightprowl
Operative

Post by knightprowl » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:05 pm

how much will it cost then, i need to know so i can see if i can afford it or not, if its over $300 then i know i cant do it, i hope its under $300 for both, anyways plz let me know, i may have to buy each seperatly as i said before, just let me know the price and ill let ya know if where a go or not, anyways ttyl peace

Tannim31
Rookie

Post by Tannim31 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:49 pm

@knightprowl

two Hitari KITT @ $45 each - $90
two Larson scanners @ $17 each - $34
Various LEDs $25- $30
Switches - $5
Audio - N/A (not able to do that)
Paint and primer - $12
Colored plexiglass - $10

Just parts $181
not to actually have me do that, tack on another $100 or so for labor and shipping

am I willing to under take that? honestly no, for what you want it is beyond my skills. Sorry

knightprowl
Operative

Post by knightprowl » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:05 pm

well could you plz try man, just do everything the best you can, just do what you can and ill be happy, just tell me tho what you can and cant do, everything else will be fine, and that price is good, i will pay you $300 just because, anyways just let me know if ya can do them all, if not just tell me what you know you can do and ill be fine, all i rly need tho is the following, the rest can be left alone if ya cant do em

two Hitari KITT @ $45 each - $90 (make sure to remove the antenna and make the wires hidden somehow)
two Larson scanners @ $17 each - $34 (make sure there amber and red)
Various LEDs $25- $30 (just the 4 inner foglights like i asked, cover up the outer one and make it not work)
Switches - $5 (just for the stuff you can do, need them added to the handheld controllers too if possable, not just the cars)
Paint and primer - $12(making hubcaps shiny and karr two toned)

Tannim31
Rookie

Post by Tannim31 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:23 am

As promised, here is a video of the newly installed Larson Scanner on my Hitari KITT. All I can say is WOW!

http://youtu.be/xo58UWlnT1U

knightprowl
Operative

Post by knightprowl » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:56 pm

i decided that i dont want these things, i would just be wasting money, so nvm, anyways ttyl peace

Tannim31
Rookie

Post by Tannim31 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:53 am

*shrugg* no problem

Tannim31
Rookie

Post by Tannim31 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:36 pm

OK here's an update...

In this video, you will see the mods I have done to my Hitari, Knight Rider KITT. mods are listed as such...

1. replaced factory Hitari scanner light with a Larson scanner from EvilMadScience.com.
2. cut out and replaced the marker lights with fabricated plexiglass with colored LEDs and colored filters in their respective colors.
3. replaced the factory driving lights with four (4) bright white four post LEDs.
4. shaved the RC bumper down to match the curves of the nose and made a screen accurate towing hitch.
5 removed the antenna shaft and wrapped the wire around the spoiler (still has factory range)
6. replaced factory speaker with a PC laptop speaker for a smoother audio sound.
7. all lights are on separate battery sources so not to drain the RC function.

upcoming changes...

removing the factory RX/TX and replacing it with a 2.4 ghz digital TX/RX, speed control and servo.

Video: http://youtu.be/HOF8cOYyuQY
*note* the video has a 5 second lag about mid way in the audio

knightprowl
Operative

Post by knightprowl » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:44 pm

Hi.

that's looking great so far, i'm loving it. so this means you can still do KITT and KARR for me as well? because you have done everything i wanted so far except for the taillights so congrats on your work so far. anyways once you have finished KITT 100% with all features please let me know. also i need to know the price for KITT and KARR with same features. except KARR having the amber/yellow scanner and silver bottom. also i don't want the camera holder/towing hitch on the front for eather KITT or KARR. anyways please let me know once you have finished KITT. and when you are ready to make me KITT and KARR if you don't mind, then ill buy them. anyways good luck man and keep us posted.

Anyways talk to you later, peace

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:48 am

Tannim31 - looks awesome! Thanks for sharing the video, please keep us updated!

knightprowl - he already said he wasn't interested doing this work for you. please stop trying to solicit help on this thread.

knightprowl
Operative

Post by knightprowl » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:05 am

ok sorry about that, taking it to pm, anyways talk to you later, peace

Tannim31
Rookie

Post by Tannim31 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:23 am

Another Update:

Well Project "Taillight" has started, the hardest part is finished! (140 micro relief holes drilled, 8 exacto blades and 6 cigarettes later) now the meticulous part begins...fabricating the 1/8" plexiglass to fit perfectly into the gaping maw that was the factory tail light, drilling the 8 holes for the LEDs (what type I don't know yet, should I go with colored round? 4 post square flat red?....) then segmenting with paint, gluing, and covering with limo tint.*WHEW!!!!*

Progress so far...

Polishing up the small scratches will be easy enough, getting it flush and smooth will be fun lol.
More updates as it progresses.

Tannim31
Rookie

Post by Tannim31 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:57 pm

well here it is, my attempt at tail lights, I will not be doing this again, unless I want to do it better but here ya go. They are wired into the marker lights/fog lights switch and run off the same battery pack as the a fore mentioned.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:50 pm

Wow looks like you put a lot of work into it.I especially liked the tail lights.Since the size of the lights is smalland 3 lines is more visible,wouldn't it be better to make solid blocks?

Tannim31
Rookie

Post by Tannim31 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:49 pm

well I took your advice Knight Racer and re did the tail lights (instead of going to the internet I went to my Knight Rider box set and studied the DVDs) I also learned allot from looking at alcyon2sp's rendition of his tail lights and mounted mine flush inside the body instead of attaching it to the outside of it. Anyway with allot of cutting and painting and repainting, I came up with something more accurate than my last tail light attempt I think :) when they are off, they are totally blacked out thanks to an over layer of 2% limo tint :)

PIcs...

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:29 am

Wow great job!.If they had a replicaminiature contest you would take 1st place guaranteed.Only 1 question though.How do I shrink myself now to drive such a screen accurate model?

Tannim31
Rookie

Post by Tannim31 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:36 am

Ahhh Knight Racer, You flatter me way too much! the work is always worth it when it's on something you love, with me it's KITT and Electronics!
I will have this car one day...Oh Yes...I will! Muuwwaaaahahahahahahaah!!...Ahem...*cough..cough*...Was that out loud???

Tannim31
Rookie

Post by Tannim31 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:03 pm

Quick video of all Mods working in unison :)
http://youtu.be/tu6H4sDSv-s

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:25 pm

Great job man!