Airwolf and Street Hawk, revisited

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Michael Pajaro
Advisor
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri May 20, 2011 2:06 am

I recently watched the pilots for Airwolf and Street Hawk (thank you, Netflix.) I realize I am very biased, but they just don't seem to hold up as well as Knight Rider. Yes, KR has some cheap-looking things going on, but because it has such an overall light-hearted tone the dated stuff doesn't seem so bad. Street Hawk was very slow to get started (he doesn't hop on the bike until 40 minutes into the show) and Airwolf is just SOOO heavy.

I watched those shows in the 80s but I would not say I was a big fan so maybe it's not right for me to judge them now. I would love to know if there are Airwolf or Street Hawk fans here who still really enjoy the shows. I will say that the Tangerine Dream soundtrack from Street Hawk was pretty cool.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative

Re: Airwolf and Street Hawk, revisited

Post by Joe Huth » Fri May 20, 2011 6:22 am

I recently purchased the complete Street Hawk DVD set as I had always wanted to see the show. I do recall thinking how slow the pilot was, but I then buzzed ahead a few episodes and found the show decent. The episode with George Clooney in it is pretty good (and I'm pretty sure it also features the same motorcross bikes used in "Speed Demons")

It's been a while since I've seen the Airwolf pilot, but I do remember it being very dark in places...especially the scene where Moffet is testing Airwolf near the beginning and then turns on them, firing into the observation room.

I keep meaning to post a thread on the Street Hawk/KR similarities, but never seem to have the time. I'm pretty sure Jesse's Mustang is the same one used as Dorothy Ackridge's car in "Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death" and you can also see the semi's drop down computer in the Street Hawk lair.

Joe
Knight Rider Historian - visit my website: http://www.KnightRiderHistorians.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Co-author of Knight Rider Legacy

Alex
FLAG Assistant

Post by Alex » Fri May 20, 2011 6:32 am

The years 80 of all the television series and Knight Rider was the much better year than I liked very much to see! The Airwolf was filmed in 1984 until 1987 and was created by Donald Bellisario and Blue Thunder was also filmed in 1984 that lasted 11 episodes until 1984 and was director Guy Magar.

But Street Hawk was a television series that was filmed in 1985 and was the creator Bruce Lansbury and I thought the actor Rex Smith and the motorcycle is very similar to the history of the car KITT in the series Knight Rider as actor David Hasselhoff when he played a role his character Michael Knight and the story is the same as was Michael Long as Jesse macth when they were the police...

The stories are very similar as the television series Knight Rider, Street Hawk, The A-Team, Blue Thunder and Airwolf.

I liked very of see the television series of the years 80 and was very good.

Alex

ShadowRider
Recruit

Post by ShadowRider » Fri May 20, 2011 7:07 am

I haven't watched Streethawk in awhile but here's my two cents anyway. I don't really remember whether it came after Knight Rider or during it, but it was such an obvious copy. First we had a supercar, now a superbike. Both Jesse and Michael were former cops - though as I recall Jesse was one still.

All that aside I did like the show as a kid, and watched some eps as reruns a few years back and still found them enjoyable.

But Knight Rider was still faaaaar better.

Regarding Airwolf I have no comments since I haven't seen the show.

Iron KITT
Rookie
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Iron KITT » Fri May 20, 2011 12:00 pm

This is a great topic.

Knight Rider....Airwolf....Street Hawk....The perfect Super Machine trilogy I think so!.

Firstly I must say Im a massive fan of both Airwolf and Street Hawk!.

All Universal shows back then looked awsome, they had flair, they had style, they were the product of their time, in my opinion these shows still hold up and stand the test the time.

With regards to Airwolf, my favourite show I must say!, just fell in love with that helicopter!.

Airwolf was designed from the start to be a darker show aimed for an older audience, Donald Bellisario created an amazing show, I still think the show holds up superby, just check out those aerials, they still look stunning, landing a jet ranger on a moving truck going 60 mph, they did that for real!.

Ernest Borgnine a man with amazing energy brought the spark to the show!. The music was fantastic also.

Street Hawk sadly never got the chance to really show what it could do. Loved it, Thought they did a great job and enjoyed Rex Smith, the music totally agree deserves a soundtrack release!.

While Knight Rider is the more famous of the three, Airwolf and Street Hawk are still very very popular and have loyal followings, I personally think all three shows have many flavours to offer the super machine fan, each one brings their own flair to the table whether it be Michael Knight and KITTs on going banter, antics and turbo boost, String Fellow Hawkes aerial battles with the most beautiful looking one of a kind super sonic attack helicopter or Jessie Mach motorcycle of the future in hyper thrust sequence with Tangerine Dream blasting with a true 80's score.

Each of these amazing shows has something to offer us!.
Michael Knight: "KITT is the worlds greatest automobile"

My Movie Review Blog:
Sentient Saviour's Movie Wold!. http://sentientsaviourmovies.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Fri May 20, 2011 2:42 pm

Never seen one episode of Airwolf but Street Hawk was on tv here during the time Knight Rider was too and I enjoyed it and still like to watch an episode occasionally. Knight Rider is of course the best tv-show ever but there was great episodes in Street Hawk also. Some guest stars from Knight Rider were in Street Hawk too, for example Ann Turkel.
Tangerine Dream soundtrack is very cool in Street Hawk but so is the music in Knight Rider and for example Miami Vice :) I've heard Airwolf theme also and it sounds cool & catchy as well.

Josch Schulz
FLAG Operative

Post by Josch Schulz » Fri May 20, 2011 10:35 pm

Hey Guys

I like Street Hawk. Its after Knight Rider the show I love mosed and it cost me freakin years to get the Soundtrack on CD but I have the Street Hawk Soundtrack. It was relesed for promotion by Tangerine Dream in the netherlands...cool item and very rare to find. I guess people and fans woule realy kill for that :lol: :lol: :lol: Here is my tribute of both shows:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2jNTHIQ ... ideo_title" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope you like it guys

Also interesting that you find Street Hawk in others Shows:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OBpaHDr ... ideo_title" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have a Poster @ home, it was coming with the original Pilot of Street Hawk on VHS, it says "From the Producers of Knight Rider" what explains a lot I guess :mrgreen:
There's nothing worse than a smart-ass automobile

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sat May 21, 2011 2:07 am

I saw the George Clooney episode. Clooney plays a wild friend of Jesse's, and the two of them decide that they're going to show Norman (the stuffy federal agent) how to party. So what do they do? They have an 80s musical montage showing them playing air hockey, playing carnival games, and riding bumper cars. Wow, these guys are crazy!

I guess it really was a simpler time back then.

Alex
FLAG Assistant

Post by Alex » Sat May 21, 2011 5:32 am

The actor George Clooney participated was in the television series Street Hawk was the episode "A Second Self" and was filmed on January 11, 1985.

Alex

rwmu
Operative

Post by rwmu » Mon May 23, 2011 4:44 pm

I loved and still love Airwolf, the Lady was a stunning vehicle. What others have said is absolutely right Airwolf is far darker than any of its contemparies, especially the original pilot.
Είναι καλύτερο να θεωρηθεί ως ανόητος, από να ανοιχτεί το στόμα σας και να αφαιρεθεί όλη η αμφιβολία.

Josch Schulz
FLAG Operative

Post by Josch Schulz » Mon May 23, 2011 8:49 pm

I love the Lady also :mrgreen: :good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjQ_G3XRKX0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

::Jon::
Recruit

Post by ::Jon:: » Fri May 27, 2011 9:18 pm

Yes - loved both Airwolf and Streethawk. I have Streethawk DVDs waiting to be watched, and have watched the entire Airwolf series just recently (due to it being broadcast on TV here in OZ).

How many people watched and liked the 4th season of Airwolf. Filmed in Canada (the weather is a dead giveaway) but they mixed in flying scenes from seasons 1 to 3, and it just looked cheap. (Michele Scarabelli was a honey - probably still is)

Rainack
FLAG Recruit

Post by Rainack » Sat May 28, 2011 9:46 am

Season 4 of Airwolf just recently came out on DVD here in the U.S. I haven't taken the time to watch it yet (though I did buy it so I can say I own all 4 seasons), but I vaguely remember seeing an episode or 2 when it airred umpteen years ago.
Perhaps the release of season 4 bodes well for the release or Team Knight Rider on DVD. I didn't really like it as a show, but I would still like to be able to add it to my collection.
To read my fanfictions, go to fanfiction.net and search for my screen name, Rainack.

Josch Schulz
FLAG Operative

Post by Josch Schulz » Sat May 28, 2011 12:51 pm

Funny, I never liked Airwolf and never watched it until Berry van Dike and his crew showed up. I love this Season and I love the Airwolf in it...I do not know why but this show is bedder in the last season :good: :mrgreen:

Iron KITT
Rookie

Post by Iron KITT » Sun May 29, 2011 7:28 am

Very interesting comments by everyone here!.

With regards to Airwolf, the Pilot episode "Shadow Of The Hawke" and the entire first season was the true vision of how Donald P. Bellisario saw the show.

Key episodes of note for season 1 were "Bite Of The Jackal", One Way Express" - this one had a really compelling story of both Hawke and Dom, gripping drama and one of the coolest flying ever, landing a jet ranger onto a moving truck going 60 mph and doing it for real, plus some lovely sequences of Airwolf in the Valley Of The Gods in the snow also quite beautiful.

Others include "Echos From The Past" - a season favourite for fans, sees Hawke in an accident only to wake up from a coma after a year, everything has changed or has it?.

"Mind Of The Machine", a flawless episode from start to finish, with a great supporting cast and sensational performance from the late and awsome David Carridine as Robert Winchester, also a very Airwolf heavy episode, lots and lots of Airwolf sequences, plus one of the most amazing scores synth wise for the season and a dramatic emotional ending. My favourite episode and a huge fan favourite to many!.

When Airwolf became a hit the network had some changes to the show to domestic it slighty, hence the arrival of Caitlin played by the beautiful Jean Bruce Scott. Other slight changes included domesticating the stories, it certinely changed the nature of the show but not much.

Season 2 had some stand out episodes like the season opening "Sweet Brithces" with a superb performance from Lance LeGault and the introduction of Caitlin by Jean Bruce Scott. "Firestorm", "HX1", "Moffett's Ghost", "The Hunted", "Dambreakers" and many fans consider "Fallen Angel" a master piece of story telling and beautiful aerial work.

After season 2 Airwolf ran another season then it was sadly cancelled in 86.

Now the addtional season some of you are refering to is the Canadian 4th season, bascially Universal needed another season to complete the package to sell the show, Jan-Michael Vincent was the only original member to return for the 4th season opening episode "Blackjack".

Hence the new cast and characters, by the end of the third season Airwolf had cost a fortune to make, one of the most expensive shows to make at the time.

So when it came to make this additional season known to also many fans Airwolf II, some for many reasons dont see it as a true version of Airwolf and see it as a seperate entity to itself, others just see it as sad reminder as to what became of Airwolf.

The 4th season had virtually no budget, no Airwolf helicopter, they only had the mock-up Airwolf which was shipped up to them, the mock-up ship was actually a full size non-flying replica of Airwolf, it had the full interior and was used for all interior shots with the cast when flying etc. The real Airwolf didnt have the interior.

So thats all they had for the 4th season, just the replica, and of course just full access to unused stock footage of Airwolf, they recreated battles using the footage and footage from the episodes themselves.

The third season big episode Airwolf II or "Redwolf" known to fans, was completely recycled into the 4th season episode were they go up against "The Scorpian" the supposed third version of Airwolf.

It has been some years since I saw the 4th season, for many who actually see this season first before the original show normally say they prefer the Barry Van Dyke version to the Jan-Michael Vincent original. I saw the original first so Im in the catagory as seeing the original as the true vision of Airwolf.

I personally think they did the best they could with what they had with regards to the 4th season cast and crew. It is evident though quite clearly that there was some creative ideas in their plots, but because of whatever restraints ie due to time and money they had to just get the thing made.

I think had they a real budget and a decent schedule they could have turned out a really good season especially if they had the toys as well to do some nice aerials to match.

To some a sad reminder of the shows evident end, to many who are actually loyal followers for this season and there is a strong following for this 4th season see it as a new entity or alternative story.

Ultimately like any show which also has follow ups, additonal seasons with new characters and compltely different casts or producers etc, there will be many camps for and against and some that are in between.

I thought the 4th season cast had good chemistry, but restricted to what they could do, they did the best with what they had, sadly which wasnt very much.
Michael Knight: "KITT is the worlds greatest automobile"

My Movie Review Blog:
Sentient Saviour's Movie Wold!. http://sentientsaviourmovies.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tannim31
Rookie

Post by Tannim31 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:51 am

While I never really saw allot of Streethawk (my interest was more in to 4 wheels rather than two lol) I did like what I saw. Airwolf on the other hand, from the first Ghostly hollow wail from the blades and turbines, almost like a tormented apparition yearning to inflict the same pain, had me. Seasons 1 and 2 were my favorite by far, it was a dark, believable (to an extent) escape from reality. The seasons where Barry Van Dyke took over, to me honestly was "Airwolf Lite" essentially a bad fan film with decent actors.

It was easy to overlook the fantastical armaments (i.e. the Hell fire missiles and nuclear-tipped shrike missiles) for the sheer fight scenes and aerobatics of "The Lady". They put allot of reality into the show along with sci-fi that really appealed to me. A good example, was needing to strip the armaments for a rescue mission, where weight was a problem with the added people on board. The computer tech on board was believable enough with out going to the extreme of fantasy (as opposed to Knight Rider with a sentient A.I. ...I WILL own that car one day!) They went into a great deal of thought explaining the Mach 1+ speeds Airwolf could attain (albeit imposable, but you almost could believe it) and the armor protecting it (the only weak spot was the mid-air fuel intake)

Airwolf, Like KITT, even by today's standards, would be high end, high tech and send chills down your back if you ended up on the wrong end of them. Of course I am looking at the tech side of the two. Here are my ratings of the three vehicles respectively as far as "Oh S#!t!!" factors (OSF), MY personal opinion ONLY.

1. Airwolf = OSF - 10. Day or night when you have a Heli like that staring you in the face, full armament out and that howl coming from it, you are dropping a gold brick.

2. KITT = OSF - 8. on the run at night, hiding and thinking you are safe, you walk out in to a dark alley and you hear the turbine whine and the sound and visual of a bright red scanner and it's coming at you..there's no one driving AND the F'er TALKS!...yeah you are pi$$ing your pants.

3. Streethawk = OSF - 4. Sorry, I know there are allot of SH fans but I just can't really be scared of a motorcycle following me or coming at me, I would be more concerned about the rider than the actual bike.

T.A.H.O.E.
FLAG Recruit

Post by T.A.H.O.E. » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:37 am

loved Airwolf/KR......loved AW season 1 show opener theme.
b'sides, I'd love to own KARR ( SO MIS-UNDERSTOOD,NEVER GIVIEN A CHANCE )
" Silence....we have an intruder... "

Mark J.Cairns
Volunteer

Post by Mark J.Cairns » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:14 pm

KITTfan wrote:Never seen one episode of Airwolf but Street Hawk was on tv here during the time Knight Rider was too and I enjoyed it and still like to watch an episode occasionally. Tangerine Dream soundtrack is very cool in Street Hawk but so is the music in Knight Rider and for example Miami Vice :) I've heard Airwolf theme also and it sounds cool & catchy as well.
I laughed at (but agree with) Tannim's "OSF" ratings above. If you've never seen Airwolf, KITTfan, then I'd suggest you quickly watch the "Episode Intro" (Teaser) for - "Fallen Angel" http://series.airwolf.tv/episodes/ep18.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or "HX1" http://series.airwolf.tv/episodes/ep19.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; in its 2nd Season to give you a quick flavour of the best of what the show had to offer. As you'll see its hardware was... well, awesome!

The Airwolf forums are frequented by a good range of "Super Vehicle" fans and over the 25 years I've been involved with the show I've found that if you're a fan of one of them, you'll be a fan of most (if not all) of the others. I think BLUE THUNDER (the big-screen, critically-acclaimed 1983 movie with Roy Scheider) should have been added to this list it was the first super vehicle after KR started the ball rolling.

You also can't forget Glen Larson's last foray into super vehicles in 1988 with THE HIGHWAYMAN.

The five of these shows really go together in the same breath and the demographic that grew up with them invariably will name them all at the same time.
Mark J.Cairns
Producer, Airwolf Themes CD soundtracks

WEB: http://airwolfthemes.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Airwolf Themes YOUTUBE: http://youtube.com/markjcairns" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FACEBOOK - http://facebook.com/airwolf.themes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:55 pm

Thank you, Mark, for overlooking my... "less than stellar" review of the pilot. :)

I agree we're all part of the extended fandom, although I think very few people would include Highwayman in it. I only have very vague memories of it myself. If I had to pick a 5th series for the "Airwolf/Knight Rider/Street Hawk/Blue Thunder" family, I'd probably go with Automan. Technically it was more of a superhero show than a supervehicle show, but the Autocar was pretty cool at the time. 90-degree turns? Never gets old.

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:12 am

Found Street Hawk toy motorbike from 1984 which I didn't even know it existed until now. Of course had to see how it looks like with 1/18 KITT. Seems the Street Hawk bike may be a bit bigger scale. Just for fun I placed small football model inside KITT's trunk to mimic S.I.D., must be tough case :P
(I know, SID didn't exist yet in Season one ;) )

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:37 pm

Funny to think how any random person can now own a "S.I.D." (Though, nobody has placed a drone inside a football...or how that would even work.) SID was only about 30 years ahead of it's time. (Just like self driving cars.)

kitt34
FLAG Recruit

Post by kitt34 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:57 pm

rwmu wrote:
Mon May 23, 2011 4:44 pm
I loved and still love Airwolf, the Lady was a stunning vehicle. What others have said is absolutely right Airwolf is far darker than any of its contemparies, especially the original pilot.
Airwolf's helicopter was just beautiful and state of the art just like kitt.

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:53 am

Totally agreed. Airwolf shall always remain a true classic and a wonder from the days of TV when they had to milk every penny without having too many shortcuts available to produce some amazing shows. And that show still stands up rather well to this day.

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:35 am

Reading a little further up the thread, tonight...

Airwolf in it's first x set of seasons is a pretty powerful show. Yes. The tone was darker. But, that's alright. They managed to pull a lot out of a notion of 'rogue pilot steals top secret heli and does missions in exchange of favors for lost family member'. But, you are comparing it to Knight of the Phoenix. Which, in my lasting opinion, was one example of supreme story telling. It's like comparing a bar of gold to a bar of 'shinier' gold. They both earned their right for multiple seasons in their own ways.

Never seen Street Hawk, though. That one never made the rerun circuit on KTTY.

WittgenTT5/Rstein
Operative

Post by WittgenTT5/Rstein » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:35 am

Street Hawk is so-so, to be honest. Too much emphasis on the human characters and not his titular bike, IMHO.

Then again, it doesn't have a lovable AI like KITT does, so I guess it all balances itself out.
Rstein, the supercomputer on wheels.