how did kitt stop in the trailer of the truck?

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

which car do you like the best kitt or karr

Poll ended at Thu Jul 31, 2003 9:41 pm

kitt
86%
Karr
14%

Total votes: 14

nivek
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

how did kitt stop in the trailer of the truck?

Post by nivek » Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:41 pm

because to cache the truck kitt has to be going fast then the truck and then once had cought the truck he has to reduce his speed in less then 2 sec or he would go right thought the truck.
Last edited by nivek on Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by KITT » Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:59 pm

he's not going too much faster then the semi.. then you have the whole brake thing.. it will become clear when you learn how to drive a car.

KITT
Lady: "I bet you're tall, dark, and handsome."
KITT: "I'm definitely dark and handsome, I'm only tall when I'm climbing a steep incline."
http://www.dhasselhoff.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

knightdriver
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightdriver » Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:02 pm

I believe a spell checker is in order here. I didn't get half that question?

"and then ocen hedo cach the truck" what does this mean?
Brian - Knightdriver.com

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:14 pm

I do know how to drive. it is not the brake thing the thing i'm talk about is momentum. once he hit the simi he would still begoing the same speed it is just like on a a ship that has airplans landing on it.

KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by KITT » Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:31 pm

yeah you just got to get used to reading stuff like that.. we (we as in the chat world) call it lar.

but anyway, i dont understand what you're getting at, nivek. say the semi is going 55 mph. kitt would be going like, say, 56 or 57, just to catch up to get on the ramp. once on the ramp, you let off the gas and the car slows down, then you put on the brakes..

i dont see what the problem is.. i know your whole momentum issue but you forget about the pedals i think.

KITT
Lady: "I bet you're tall, dark, and handsome."
KITT: "I'm definitely dark and handsome, I'm only tall when I'm climbing a steep incline."
http://www.dhasselhoff.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SPEEDBREAKER
Recruit

Post by SPEEDBREAKER » Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:47 pm

Also K.I.T.T. has rear wheel drive.Once the front wheels are on the ramp your home free. 8)

knightynight
Recruit

Post by knightynight » Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:14 am

quoting KITT: say the semi is going 55 mph. kitt would be going like, say, 56 or 57, just to catch up to get on the ramp. once on the ramp, you let off the gas and the car slows down, then you put on the brakes..

if this makes things any clearer, which it may not.... as the car is going only two miles an hour faster than the semi your forward momentum remains the same as you hit the ramp..... only two miles per hour faster than the semi..... which means IN the semi you're only going two miles per hour! which means all you have to do is apply the brakes or even just let off of the gas to stop the engine from wanting to bring the car back up to 57 miles per hour..... I hope this helps, but it may not..... it does have to do with one of Newton's or Einstein's laws I think...lol

knightynight
Recruit

Post by knightynight » Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:18 am

wait a minute I think I might be wrong, my brains all puzzled out......

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:18 am

Is somebody asking about the physics of driving a car up a moving ramp?! Must... hold... tongue... Must... resist... explanation...

Mike

(for some of you newer people, I have a reputation for running crazy with this topic... it's what I live for!)
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Katt
Operative

Post by Katt » Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:00 am

Lol, there was a discussion once of how Kitt could down the ramp after being in the semi, and not shoot backwards the moment the tires hit the road. :lol:

aussieknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by aussieknight » Thu Jul 03, 2003 10:58 pm

Just accelerate away. Auto gearboxes are very forgiving. Also, practice makes perfect. Especially when you're not paying for the tyres. :dash:
"What do you mean, 'get'? You ARE in big trouble." -KITT, Not a Drop to Drink.

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Sat Jul 05, 2003 9:25 am

do know how to drive. it is not the brake thing the thing i'm talk about is momentum. once he hit the simi he would still begoing the same speed it is just like on a a ship that has airplans landing on it.
Um... its nothing like that at all.

your only goign a few miles per hour faster than the truck...if you where to lift your foot off the gas just after gettign onto the ram the truck would start to pull out from under you again.

I don't know why people think this is such a hard thing to do? the KR team did it more than once when filming and I've seen it done on stunt shows etc before...its really not that hard to do.
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sat Jul 05, 2003 12:44 pm

Rockatteer wrote: your only goign a few miles per hour faster than the truck...if you where to lift your foot off the gas just after gettign onto the ram the truck would start to pull out from under you again.
Actually, no. The truck would only pull away if the Semi was accelerating. If the Semi maintains a constant speed, which is does, then even if you took your foot off the gas you'd still coast gently inside.

Mike

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Sat Jul 05, 2003 1:38 pm

you would not cost gently inside just going two miles faster then the semi because of the angle of the ramp when he hit it he would have to give more gas to get going up the ramp. and if you see knight rider you will see he is going a lot faster.
Last edited by nivek on Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Scott Kirkessner
FLAG Recruit

Post by Scott Kirkessner » Sat Jul 05, 2003 2:45 pm

Wow, I must hold my tounge when it comes to the English used in this thread, but I must ask myself how a 19 year old from New Mexico has come to have such terrible grammar?

But let's get to the point- I've enjoyed reading all the physics discussions about KITT and the semi and have to agree with a lot of the statements made.

The momentum issue is really not an issue at all. At NAU we have a section between south and central campus called Cardiac Hill, if you are going south, it's a straight shot down and is a hell of a ride on a bike, there's nothing there to stop you except some trees, bushes, and fences.

There is a road on the east end of campus that has a section like Cardiac Hill as well, except at the end of the decline, there is a slight turn and then an incline. All you have to do is let your car coast, turn the wheel a little and the incline will slow you down.

The same goes for the ramp on the semi. Watching some of the film, it looks like KITT was maybe doing 35 or so approaching the semi. Once he hits the ramp it begins to slow him down so he doesn't fly right through poor Bonnie and Devon and into the cab to surprise RC. Just touch the brakes, and he's in. It's not impossible, they did it and showed it to us a number of times.

Let's say the truck wasn't moving and KITT had to go up the ramp. He would need to use a lot of caution in getting up the ramp. He can't go too fast because he will wreck the trailer, and he can't go too slow because he will roll down the ramp. Take the same scenario and have the semi in motion.

Also, it's called a RAMP not rape. Rape gets you arrested.

Mike, I hope you let go of your tounge to join into the physics debate :)

-Scott

Darknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Darknight » Sat Jul 05, 2003 4:46 pm

I suppose I should also chip in, since I'm fairly well known on this topic also. The issues at hand are velocity relative to the ground, and velocity relative to the semi, with the extra force needed to climb the ramp thrown in. Now, if one kept a constant throttle going 57mph on the road, while the semi went 55mph, when the rear tires touched the ramp, KITT would then be theoretically going 57mph faster that the semi(if the motor didn't bog down), assuming one's foot was still in the throttle at the same level, because what matters is KITT's speed compared to whatever surface with which he is in contact, because tires provide the thrust.

That said, it's really not that hard to drive a vehicle up a moving ramp. You just come in fast enough so that you can let off the gas before you hit the ramp. Once your rear tires are on the ramp, you give it just enough gas to ease on into the semi. It's a very simple act often made overly complicated by excessive conjecture.

DK

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Sat Jul 05, 2003 4:54 pm

ok so i can't well is that something new no
any how what scott kirkessner said is true but i still thank that there is a slowing thing on the ramp just like there would be on a aircraft ship there you have an plane landing and there is a hook that hooks on the front weel of the plane and it help it stop so take this same train of thought put it in to kitts case it would be a lot more easy on the brakes would you thank.

there to that debate on way kitt did not go shooting backward it is do to something called friction

Darknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Darknight » Sat Jul 05, 2003 5:02 pm

About KITT shooting backwards...that's an impossibility except from the vantange point of the semi. Let's say KITT backed out onto the road and stopped. From the semi, moving at 55mph, it would appear to shoot backwards, when in reality, it didn't move at all. Now, if KITT is in neutral, when his rears tires hit the pavement, they'll simply spin at the rate required for 55mph, because KITT was moving at 55mph relative to the ground in the semi, and when he touches the ground, he'll still be doing 55mph relative to the ground, except for the few mph of forward velocity he would lose coasting backwards off the ramp.

DK

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sat Jul 05, 2003 6:11 pm

Darknight wrote: Now, if one kept a constant throttle going 57mph on the road, while the semi went 55mph, when the rear tires touched the ramp, KITT would then be theoretically going 57mph faster that the semi
But that's the catch... KITT is NEVER going 57 mph faster than the semi. In the split second that the rear wheels hit the ramp, they immediately spin down from a rotational velocity equal to 57 mph down to 2 mph (57 minus 55). If you leave your foot on the gas pedal, the tires will start to accelerate towards 57 mph again, but you have plenty of time to let go.

Mike

Darknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Darknight » Sat Jul 05, 2003 8:43 pm

Exactly. We agree down to the letter. Using only the speed of of the semi, KITT's speed in relation to the ground beneath him, and pretending that KITT's motor had the torque to keep the wheels moving at the same speed without slowing, only then would KITT travel 57mph faster than the semi and shoot on through it.

However, those aren't real life conditions, and anyone would be stupid to keep the throttle open the same as when driving 57mph on the road. Therefore, given that a smart driver would back off the gas and coast onto the ramp, there shouldn't be any problem. Agreed.

What's funny is that in the first semi thread (which went over 80 posts, if I remember correctly) we were essentially agreeing, but we didn't notice it or something. That was quite a debate among two who were saying the same thing.

DK

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:25 pm

This all makes perfect sense. But in defense of nivek's self esteem-I, too, nivek, was puzzled by these concepts for a time. Shooting throught the semi never occurred to me, but the shooting backwards did.

But, Darknight And Pajaro. You have one contradiction, probably unintentional.
Darknight said that, if you leave the gas down to the same as you did driving on the road, you'd be going 57MPH faster than the semi when you hit the road.

While Micheal Pajaro said even if you left the gas down you'd be going 2MPH.

I agree with Darknight, because KITT's wheels are spinning at the rotation necessary for moving 57MPH, while the floor of the Semi isn't rotating at all. To KITT's tires, the Semi's floor is an extension of the road. The fact that the semi floor has momentum is irrelevant until you let off the gas.

I don't mean to start a huge debate-but there's my 2 cents.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:27 pm

Good thing Davilex never had the semi moving in the game-KITT was hard enough to control. And they didn't get a whole lot of the physics right anyway,so who knows how that would've turned out.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sun Jul 06, 2003 2:36 am

Nope, we're still not agreeing.

First let's look at the "real-life" situation. A car's tires can spin at a speed independant of the speed of the engine. For example, if you slam on your brakes (assuming no anti-lock mechanisms) your tires will go from 57mph to 0 in an instant, although the engine might still be running at 4000rpm and the car will still be travelling forward at 57 mph. That's the way the gears and axles are designed to work. No matter how far down you keep the gas pedal pressed, when the rear tires hit the ramp they immediately spin down to 2 mph and then start accelerating back up to their original speed. You'll hear a screech as the rubber skids slightly on the ramp.

Now let's suppose we have a custom car where the tires are somehow welded to the engine. If the engine is running at 2000 rpm the tires are locked in at the equivalent of 28.5 mph and at 4000 rpm the tires are doing 57 mph. When the rear wheels hit the ramp, this time they can't stop spinning because they are locked to the rpm of the engine. Instead, what happens is that they skid like crazy, trying to get traction to accelerate the car back up to 57 mph relative to the ramp. But the car starts at the bottom of the ramp at 2 mph relative to the semi.

It's all about momentum, which remains constant relative to the ground. The situation you describe would require a force that can accelerate a 3000 lb object from 57 mph to 112 mph in under a second. KITT's fictional rocket boosters might be able to do that, but it's not going to happen in the real world.

I believe the longest thread we had on this topic was on the order of a couple hundred messages.

Mike

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Sun Jul 06, 2003 5:09 am

angle of the rape
:shock:

Where did that come from??!!

on a aircraft ship there you have an plane landing and there is a hook that hooks on the front weel of the plane and it help it stop so take this same train of thought put it in to kitts case it would be a lot more easy on the brakes would you thank
Actually the hook drops down from the back of the plane... if it where on the front wheel the momentum of the plan would flip it ass over nose. :)

compared to some of the other stresses Kitt undergoes, I think the quick jab of the brakes in the semi probably isn't really a problem. :D
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Sun Jul 06, 2003 8:53 pm

thanks i was not thanking when i said that.
that would be most crazy to see an F-14 tomcat flipping ass over nose.