Old Knight Rider VHS recordings

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Michael Pajaro
Advisor
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Old Knight Rider VHS recordings

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:41 pm

I'm doing some home cleaning and finally decided to reclaim an extra closet which is mostly filled with Knight Rider VHS tapes.
knight-rider_vhs.jpg
knight-rider_vhs.jpg (69.42 KiB) Viewed 22598 times
Before any of you historians get excited that I might have a bunch of the original NBC broadcasts on tape, I don't. Most of the tapes are syndicated airings over the years plus tons of TKR (I think I recorded each TKR episode 3 times... don't ask.)

I'm a bit of a hoarder so I'm certainly not going to throw anything out, I'm just boxing them up and putting them into storage. What about the rest of you? Anybody have some Knight Rider on VHS that they just can't stand to part with?
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Re: Old Knight Rider VHS recordings

Post by KITTfan » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:44 am

Cool collection of KR VHS tapes :)
I still have my VHS tapes too, recorded all TOS episodes when it was rerunning in early 2000's here in Finland. Some episodes I have from the 1990's rerun but they were badly cut, the latest rerun had entire episodes.
Have been planning to transfer some episodes to DVD as the aired episodes had original soundtrack (White Line Warriors for example) and all sound effects intact which was a problem in 3rd season DVD's.
Here's one photo of my tape which includes the episode "Chariot of Gold" ;)

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:19 am

I don't have any original broadcast tapes but I think I only have one tape that has syndication versions of season 2 episodes that was aired in the late 1980's. It's in my attic somewhere.

I definetely have syndication versions that were aired in early 2000's on the Bravo channel.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative

Post by Joe Huth » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:25 am

Well, I used to have a decent collection of VHS recordings, both original NBC and syndicated, but over the years I have digitized what I wanted to keep and got rid of the tapes. I do still have the original NBC airings of KR2000 and "Knight of the Drones", along with the entire TKR series.

Joe
Knight Rider Historian - visit my website: http://www.KnightRiderHistorians.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Co-author of Knight Rider Legacy

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:33 pm

Original airings of "Killer K.I.T.T.," "Out Of the Woods," "Deadly Knightshade," "Redemption Of a Champion," "Knight Of a Thousand Devils" and "Hills Of Fire," complete with '80s commercials. They give the episodes a certain quality and make me feel like I'm watching them for the first time on television as a kid, something the DVDs can't quite replace. :)

Original airing of Knight Rider 2000

I have to get around to digitizing my tape of the original series, but unfortunately my VHS-DVD recorder is currently broken and only the VHS tape side works. :?
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

jyd85
Operative

Post by jyd85 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:25 pm

I've got a bin and then some of the original. Minus a few S3 episodes and one from S4. (Pretty sure there's at least three copies of one of the Stevie episodes.) KR aired on our Fox affiliate from 2002-2003, so they're still fairly new. I haven't really watched them since I got the DVDs.

I also have two tapes where KR is mentioned over the past eight years. Biographies/interviews with DH, commercials for the single season DVD sets, etc… Funny you bring this up because we just ordered a new DVD/VCR combo this evening. The VCR tried to eat one of those two tapes.
If you'd be so kind as to put me down.

Down?

My dear, I'm a car. Not a plane.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:28 pm

I have my own closet with 2-3 boxes each containing 20 tapes at least and I must have 4-5 copies of each episode from the 80's and tkr.I also have kr 2000 from 3 different sources.as well as an original nbc airing of knight of the juggernaught (my first kr episode i collected).My friend's father tapes it in the 80's when it first aired.

When I was 16,Jup was nice enough to start my kr collection off by duplicating old recorded episodes to cheap tapes for me.I was so happy when I watched my favorite episodes.It brought me great joy to see Michael and kitt in action again.I didn't have much money being a kid and all.Jup just charged me for the tapes and shipping and I thank him to this day for his generosity.

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:52 am

Whats a VHS tape? :D

Nah, seriously though I don't even think one of mine survived, the VHS recorder I had pretty much ate all the tapes I owned. What was worth keeping I have on the computer anyway. I have a few TKR episodes in AVI format, not sure of legality of downloading episodes off the internet though but I guess its OK.

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit

Post by KFCreator » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:29 pm

I used to have every episode of Knight Rider and TKR on VHS tapes. Classic KR was not the original broadcasts, I think they were mostly from when USA Network aired it but the TKR ones were mostly original broadcasts. I do still have a few VHS tapes with my favorite episodes on them but I recycled most of the tapes when I got the entire classic series in the DVD boxset and I downloaded all of TKR from iTunes here in the US. I do miss my VHS tape collection sometimes though...
"One man can make a difference. You can make a difference in someone else's life. You can make a difference in your own life." -- David Hasselhoff

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:10 pm

I also remember trading tapes with Junk Yard Dog AKA Richie Levine as well as another guy I forgot his old board name.He gave me some other vhs tapes nbc recordings with the extra cu scenes.I put everything that was cut out of syndication recorded into pc mpegs as well as recorded full episodes to cd-rs to mainatin clarity before they were released on dvd.

Amir
Operative

Post by Amir » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:24 pm

Still have a VHS copy of all the episodes, recorded a few years ago when it was broadcast on the Israeli version of AXN channel. Don't need them obviously, but don't see a reason to get rid either. I have a nice storage cabinet for tapes and if I remove them it will just be empty. Plus I made some nice covers for it and the rest of my TV series tapes (Quantum Leap, A-Team, etc) that it adds some nice colours to the room!

It's not actually the first set of tapes I've had. I first saw Knight Rider on an Israeli channel a few years after the show ended, but they only showed seasons 1 and 2, and after a long break season 3 as well (never season 4). It took me a while to get recording so when it ended I found myself with a small collection of few season 2 episodes and most of the season 3 episodes (They didn't even show them all). Luckily I found a guy from my own city in Israel who loved the show and had some more season 2 episodes so I copied them from him. A few years later, when I got into the Internet, I found someone in the United States who had most of the show and trade-copied with him the episodes I was missing and the ones he was missing.

And a few years ago the show got a couple of more runs on channels we pick up here - first Star World, then AXN - so I re-recorded everything in better quality. I haven't put them on in years as I have the DVDs and my VCR doesn't actually work well, but I can't throw those away and I'll probably buy a new VCR as I have great affection for that piece of machinery. even if I may never use it...

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Sun May 01, 2011 8:32 pm

I have some episodes from Central tv when they where broadcast in the 80's here in the uk..
Not on VHS, but Betamax,(shows how old I am lol)

No machine to play them on however..

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Sun May 01, 2011 11:04 pm

I remember when I found out that I think the WGT tv network was airing the series,I got my best friend to record all episodes onto vhs so every week i'd buy another tape until i had a 4rth copy of kr on a clearer fresher copy.I think I used to take them home each week and record them to pc using my TV-tuner card.14 tapes in all.

Alex
FLAG Assistant

Post by Alex » Mon May 02, 2011 8:06 am

There are many years I had my cassettes of video that I recorded episodes of the television series Knight Rider was the channel RTP 1 and I liked seeing very much and now I already have not my cassettes of video (VHS) I threw away and now I have my DVD original Knight Rider that are very good.

Alex

Alex
FLAG Assistant

Post by Alex » Mon May 02, 2011 3:02 pm

The episode Chariot of Gold that was filmed on February 25, 1983 in television series Knight Rider that shows the actor David Hasselhoff (Michael Knight) appears in the cassette of video called Sony Dynamicron L-500 Video Cassette and then there appears the television of the car KITT.

Here's the image Dynamicron Sony L-500 Video Cassette - Beta.
http://audioidiots.com/afbeelding.groot.php?itemID=6162" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very good. :wink:

:good:
Alex

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Wed May 11, 2011 3:52 pm

Knight Racer wrote:When I was 16,Jup was nice enough to start my kr collection off by duplicating old recorded episodes to cheap tapes for me.I was so happy when I watched my favorite episodes.It brought me great joy to see Michael and kitt in action again.
How the world has changed in only a few years. Back then, there was no such thing (or barely. See, I can't even picture when DVD sets came into existance, anymore.) as DVD sets. Downloading episodes over the internet was unheard of. Now, we can Hulu the episodes to machines of our choice. Or, Apple store them to portable units. Picture perfect sets reside on compact discs. The franchise has had some official revival sparks. Vehicles are becoming more and more like the KR dream. It's actually hard to look back and think of a time when sharing VHS copies from a broadcast source that suffered from signal strength was about the only option.

I am glad that I was able to help you and others, Knight Racer.

If I had the time and patience, these days, I would get to work on transferring hundreds of hours of VHS recordings over to this wonderful format they call Blu-Ray. The discs have so much storage capacity and make more sense then an external HDD. Why, I'm looking at about six or seven paperback novels that could move to fit the stack of Blu-Ray's it would probably take to dump these gigantic cases of plastic bins that currently house all my '80s/'90s cassette tapes. Was going to do it with DVD, at one time. Only, to learn the machine ran off of Beta programming and needs to be watched as it works.

jeremy223
Rookie

Post by jeremy223 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:58 pm

Would any of you guys be interested in selling any copies of your original NBC airings of Knight Rider? I would love to have them to compare to the dvds. Contact me at kittcar1982@hotmail.com

james olden
FLAG Recruit

Post by james olden » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:18 am

i got every episode from season 1 and almost got every episode from season 2,3, and 4 all recorded on a bunch of vhs tapes. i recorded them when usa was airing the kr:tos episodes in 1999. and you know what, its funny that you can tell usa aired knight rider right after the cosby show because at the beginning of my vhs tapes you see the ending credits of cosby show lol.
On the Quest for filling in the gaps from right after after Scent of Roses 1986- Knight Rider 2008

GameMachineJames
Recruit
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by GameMachineJames » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:13 am

I'm seeing that a few of you have done TKR recordings.. these would interest me very much. They'll contain commercials and such that I just can't find elsewhere. There' still some things I haven't managed to get my hands on. Joe's gonna let me digitise his TKR tapes. i'd love to digitise yours as well Mike.

Or anyone's really. TKR is, after all, my passion.
Promotional Postcard Licensing Fair 1996
Series Bible
Style and Merchandising guide with original vectors.
"Get Ready To Ride" Poster
TKR Annual
SCREEN-USED TKR Sign from a Sky One Door

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:04 pm

I've decided to let you have a copy of the discs i got a long time ago.It should have everything you need.PM me your mailing address.

jeremy223
Rookie

Post by jeremy223 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:28 pm

Knight Racer, do you have any tapes of the original series you'd like to sell or trade copies of?

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:52 pm

Check your email :)