KR Mio GPS Questions

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Crumbling Down
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

KR Mio GPS Questions

Post by Crumbling Down » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:18 pm

Hello, my birthday is the end of this month. Ever since I have heard about the KR MIO GPS I have wanted one. I looked on Ebay and they have a few for sale. Two or three of them are located in China and one is in USA but is the most expensive and doesn't have the box. I am asking my mom for one of these for a birthday present. I may get one from China as long as the instructions spoken directions will be in English as they are cheaper about $30 cheaper.

I did hear that the company went out of business that made them, so I am guessing there will not be anymore future map updates. Is this true or is there more map updates on the way? Do you have to pay for any updates? Secondly I do remember hearing some type of problem where Kitts voice gets erased from the GPS when you do an update or something to that nature. Can someone tell me in more detail about this? Also I believe there was a fix to get Kitts voice back right?

All of these GPS's come with the 2009 USA/CAN map updates. Is it the update after this that looses Kitts voice? I am just wondering before I tell my parents that this is what I would want. I will use it for any vacations I go on and will probably have it on for normal driving just to hear kitts voice. I like how it has an MP3 player and it tells you when you are speeding. For anyone that has the MIO KR GPS, what are your thoughts on it? Any problems ect with it?

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Chris
Booonnnnnzzzzaaaaaiii!!!!!!!! As michael turbo boosts to score the extra point. His face is so funny when he yells this and when he hits turbo boost his eyes get huge and he flies back into the seat

Crumbling Down
FLAG Recruit

Re: KR Mio GPS Questions

Post by Crumbling Down » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:08 pm

from what I have seen on here, the 2009 map update was the most recent. I don't really see that being a huge problem. So streets that were made after 2009 won't show up on the map and other streets that changed direction after 2009 won't show up. Is that the only problems it would cause using an older 2009 map?
Booonnnnnzzzzaaaaaiii!!!!!!!! As michael turbo boosts to score the extra point. His face is so funny when he yells this and when he hits turbo boost his eyes get huge and he flies back into the seat

2nddaniel2011
Volunteer
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by 2nddaniel2011 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:40 pm

I live in the north of england, and own a Mio satnav (or gps). Its not the kitt shaped one. But the menu screen looks the same on mine and the kitt one. they must have the same software. I dont think they are out of business- I only bought mine 3 months ago.
The 'gps' comes with a software disc, with this you can personalise the unit with map updates/ add-ons. I haven't been able to find the kitt voice anywhere official (not for the mio anyway) however with the unit connected to my pc I have been able to access the voices folder and make a copy of it---- so this is what you could do if you were worried about losing the kiit voice during an update. (besides, the pc program keeps anything removed from the unit stored on your pc)
My Mio only has the standard voices package (british, american, french, german, spanish etc as iit is supplied with european mapping)
However I would very much like to get hold of a copy of the kitt voice files from the Mio Knight Rider gps unit, so if anyone reading this has copied the files (for their own back-up , of course) then lets talk.

Pleeeeeeeeease. :(

KITTDRVR
Volunteer

Post by KITTDRVR » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:44 pm

Just buy any new Garmin and install the official KITT voice pack: http://www.navtones.com/kitt-voice-for-garmin-gps.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This way you'll have a fully-supported GPS from a manufacturer that is still in business, and the voice is only 10 bucks. :good:

2nddaniel2011
Volunteer

Post by 2nddaniel2011 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:03 pm

I would like to put the kitt voice files onto the Mio that i own. (As far as i can tell, Mio is still in business. but it might explain why my mio was on sale)

Crumbling Down
FLAG Recruit

Post by Crumbling Down » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:17 pm

well i think i will get the kr one. I like the look of it and the flashing lights and such. Any other gps wont look like that. I will try and make a copy of thr voice files once i get it so if anyone wants them i wll have them

Crumbling Down
FLAG Recruit

Post by Crumbling Down » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:38 am

I just ordered one this morning. I ended up ordering one from a guy in the US as the China person did not answer my questions. I asked him if the language and instructions would be in Chinese and if it came with the cd.

I will try to copy all the files to my PC once I get it though I am a little nervous about hooking it up to the PC as I remember someone on here saying that when they hooked theirs up to their PC it erased everything.

If anyone wants any of the files let me know and I can send them to you.

KITTDRVR
Volunteer

Post by KITTDRVR » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:15 am

Good luck with the purchase.

PS - file sharing is frowned upon on this board, so you should look elsewhere. Just FYI

Crumbling Down
FLAG Recruit

Post by Crumbling Down » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:22 pm

Ok I understand. Can someone tell me steps I should do when I get my gps so I don't erase/mess anything up?

I am not that computer literate so if you could explain it clearly. What is the first thing I should do once I get it? Plug it in to the pc? Update the map if it asks me too?

blackthorntk
Operative

Post by blackthorntk » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:37 am

do not install any software from mio but what you want to do is clone the whole gps file make the device think it's a usb storage device then clone copy an image of that and copy paste it all else where keep backups
. but like i said before the Chinese knock off version of kitt gps aka navman it come sin the mio box as well and with the 2009 maps and you dont have to install any cd software etc. works fine like a usb even. if you are worried of the mio version then just get the navman version.

Crumbling Down
FLAG Recruit

Post by Crumbling Down » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:43 am

so basically I will hook the Mio GPS up to my desktop computer via the usb cable. Copy all filles that the gps has on it and paste them somewhere safe on my pc? How do I clone and image? Is that the same thing as what I said above, copy all files off the gps and paste them somewhere safe on the pc? How do I get the mio to think it is a usb storage device? Thanks for the help, I should have mine within two days and I am really nervous about messing anything up.

2nddaniel2011
Volunteer

Post by 2nddaniel2011 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:13 pm

Crumbling Down wrote:so basically I will hook the Mio GPS up to my desktop computer via the usb cable. Copy all filles that the gps has on it and paste them somewhere safe on my pc? How do I clone and image? Is that the same thing as what I said above, copy all files off the gps and paste them somewhere safe on the pc? How do I get the mio to think it is a usb storage device? Thanks for the help, I should have mine within two days and I am really nervous about messing anything up.

Yes, use the usb cable, then switch on the Mio, shortly after that you might get a "found new hardware" message (if your operating system is Windows) cancel it.
Then goto My Computer- you should see a new device listed- possibly the mio logo or listed as a memory drive- with a letter like "G" or similar. From there just click through it and explore the files- somewhere in that lot are the various voice files. Copy the ones you dont want to lose. (into a new folder)

Personally I cant see why you SHOULDN'T load the CD first, then connect via usb cable- this is what I did- and I can still access the voice files if I need to 'mess' with them (accessing them through the My Computer as above) BUT doing it as above firstly can't do any harm.

See how you get on.

Crumbling Down
FLAG Recruit

Post by Crumbling Down » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:08 am

Thank you. I have done this. I just opened the mios folder on the computer and copied every single file it has. That way I have a back up copy of everything. I installed the mios desktop on my pc and hooked the gps up. It seems that I have the most recent maps loaded 2009. They are showing on my computer in the format taoworm pointed out in a prior thread. It works pretty good. It did try to take me through a development that was a dead end but with outdated maps I guess that will happen every once and awhile. I cannot seem to find any information on the blue tooth or mp3 features that it listed as having on ebay. Even the instructions on the mio disc say nothing about it.

blackthorntk
Operative

Post by blackthorntk » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:24 am

be careful though Crumbling down and you can tell if you have the real mio knight rider gps or the Chinese knock off the navman just look at this thread i posted the two versions of it. viewtopic.php?f=1044&t=17128" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; more info on here why you shouldnt update the mio one and or use that cd because they will delete kitt out of your system. More info in that link. Good luck I personally got the Navaman one not the mio but they come in same boxes but i believe navman version is the china knock off one.

Crumbling Down
FLAG Recruit

Post by Crumbling Down » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:10 pm

well mine says mio at the bottom, Knight rider at the top but it does display a splash screen when I first turn it on that says Navman?!? It came with the Mio's desktop softewhere and all the accessories although it came in a plain white box.

blackthorntk
Operative

Post by blackthorntk » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:05 am

yeah apparently there's two versions of this the one you have is the real one the other one is commonly sold in china so most likely the Chinese knock off everyone talking about. That's the one i have actually and it doesn't come with cd software to install it just plug and play usb. Also comes with the 2009 maps pre installed as well.

Crumbling Down
FLAG Recruit

Post by Crumbling Down » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:00 am

yea I guess its the Chinese version that has the bluetooth and mp3 player. From what I have seen the Chinese version has a lot of extra software. I am pretty happy with mine though, it works pretty good but does make some mistakes sometimes, but overall it gets you where you need to go. I am happy with it.

blackthorntk
Operative

Post by blackthorntk » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:54 am

nah mine just has extra storage space lol and i do mean extra lol.

2nddaniel2011
Volunteer

Post by 2nddaniel2011 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:41 am

Crumbling Down wrote:Thank you. I have done this. I just opened the mios folder on the computer and copied every single file it has. That way I have a back up copy of everything. I installed the mios desktop on my pc and hooked the gps up. It seems that I have the most recent maps loaded 2009. They are showing on my computer in the format taoworm pointed out in a prior thread. It works pretty good. It did try to take me through a development that was a dead end but with outdated maps I guess that will happen every once and awhile. I cannot seem to find any information on the blue tooth or mp3 features that it listed as having on ebay. Even the instructions on the mio disc say nothing about it.
If you look through the sound files/folders (on the copy that you put on your pc ) can you see easily the different voice files (english/foreign languages etc) and can you see the section with the kitt voice files in?
I'll post my e-mail address on my next reply so as not to break any forum rules about file sharing :-) (cos i would like to get a copy of them - if you would be so kind)
Thanks.

Crumbling Down
FLAG Recruit

Post by Crumbling Down » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:49 am

let me know what you email address is :good:

2nddaniel2011
Volunteer

Post by 2nddaniel2011 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:01 pm

Crumbling Down wrote:let me know what you email address is :good:
Thanks. It's morepower@talk21.com

2nddaniel2011
Volunteer

Post by 2nddaniel2011 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:03 pm

Crumbling Down wrote:let me know what you email address is :good:
Hi again. Did you get chance to email any of those voice files over to me?

Crumbling Down
FLAG Recruit

Post by Crumbling Down » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:56 pm

is there any in particular you need. It will only let me send one file at a time. It won't let me send all the kitt files at once.

2nddaniel2011
Volunteer

Post by 2nddaniel2011 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:44 pm

Crumbling Down wrote:is there any in particular you need. It will only let me send one file at a time. It won't let me send all the kitt files at once.
I dont really know. any that make it work. Whatever you think is best. anything you can send is appreciated.

videokid14
Stranger

Post by videokid14 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:03 pm

hi my kr gps is broke. i cannot get it to recognize my product key. it says product key authentication error. i dont have a cd either. is there a way i can fix this? maybe someone have a backup i can use to restore it?