How many lights did KITT really have?

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

buckolaci
Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

How many lights did KITT really have?

Post by buckolaci » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:34 pm

Hey guys. Was just wondering why all the replicas out there seem to have 3 lights per side on the lower nose of KITT. It seems to me there should only be 2 lights per side. I have looked at a lot of pictures and clips on youtube etc and it seems like there are only 2 lights per side visible. What do you think? I've also noticed that the lights are more latent (hidden) on the real KITT while the ones on the replicas always seem to pop out more...
Look forward to your thoughts and feedback.
:kitt:
One man can make a difference

Kal-el4
Operative

Re: How many lights did KITT really have?

Post by Kal-el4 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:44 pm

KITT has eight lights altogether, the flip up headlights, and the six rectangular foglights behind the slatted grilles in his nose
Last edited by Kal-el4 on Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeremy223
Rookie

Post by jeremy223 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:40 pm

KITT had 3 lights on each side in season 1 only. In seasons 2-4 he has 2 lights on each side.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:26 pm

In most of the shots I've seen kitt have 2 lights on each side but there have been some instances where i've seen 3.I was told in the chat room that the third is used as som turn signal light or break light not sure.One is supposed to blink.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:58 am

buckolaci wrote:Hey guys. Was just wondering why all the replicas out there seem to have 3 lights per side on the lower nose of KITT. It seems to me there should only be 2 lights per side. I have looked at a lot of pictures and clips on youtube etc and it seems like there are only 2 lights per side visible. What do you think? I've also noticed that the lights are more latent (hidden) on the real KITT while the ones on the replicas always seem to pop out more...
Look forward to your thoughts and feedback.
:kitt:
I can't speak for the replica owners, but I think it's safe to assume that it comes down to a matter of particular taste and is a way of an owner making their own car unique.

Not counting the pop-up lights, in Season 1, K.I.T.T. had bumper grills covering 6 lights, with turn signal blackouts. During each season, producers slightly modified K.I.T.T.'s look, so in Season 2, he had bumper grills and 4 lights with the turn signal blackouts. In Season 3, the grills were removed as were the turn signal blackouts (although the indentations for them remained) and 4 lights. In Season 4, the entire nose was more streamlined and sharper, 4 lights and no indentations for the turn signal blackouts.

So the question then becomes, as a replica owner, which season do you pick? Do you ignore everything and come up with your own design? Do you only copy a particular episode? And from there you can see why there are so many variations of replicas...
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

buckolaci
Recruit

Post by buckolaci » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:44 pm

Thank you for the detailed explanation guys. After looking at some more pictures I can see how the nose has changed design over the years/episodes. I prefer the look of the 2 headlights per side -it just looks less crowded. I think the grill helped a bit too, just to conceal the lights in the daytime and give KITT a meaner stance.
One man can make a difference