Original Script For Knight Rider 2008 Series

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

james olden
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Original Script For Knight Rider 2008 Series

Post by james olden » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:56 pm

at the start of knight rider 2008 series we all remember in some interview gary scott thompson was asked what happen to devon,bonnie,rc3 ki2ts,a.i.,and the fate of flag, he replied watch episode 13.then on episode 13 it never revealed. come to find out later the reason why it didnt reveal because the plot was changed. If there was an actual original story line scrpit for knight rider 2008 that revealed what happen to flag,bonnie,devon and ki2ts a.i. whereabouts can someone reply to this to let me know thanx.
On the Quest for filling in the gaps from right after after Scent of Roses 1986- Knight Rider 2008

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: Original Script For Knight Rider 2008 Series

Post by Victor Kros » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:40 pm

No there is not.

=VK=

chrisjones
FLAG Recruit

Post by chrisjones » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:26 am

Victor Kros wrote:No there is not.

=VK=
Hang on there a moment, I would imagine if GST could pin point ep.13 specifically then YES there will be somewhere a copy (regardless of digital or hard copy) of the original breakdown. Its obvious that the idea must have been penciled in for episode 13 so there must be notes/draft copies or even a draft script somewhere.
[b]No way you mentalist![/b]

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:34 am

chrisjones wrote:
Victor Kros wrote:No there is not.

=VK=
Hang on there a moment, I would imagine if GST could pin point ep.13 specifically then YES there will be somewhere a copy (regardless of digital or hard copy) of the original breakdown. Its obvious that the idea must have been penciled in for episode 13 so there must be notes/draft copies or even a draft script somewhere.
- I've spoken to both GST and Paul Campbell. The only real "connection" made to the original series was the use of "Bonnie" and "Devon" as code names in Knight of the Iguana. There was never plans beyond that to honor nor mention the original team from the series. Episode 13 would have been Enter Knight, Exit Light which I believe was the final episode of the series run - but was moved ahead. F.L.A.G. was not mentioned until the final episode of the series that aired - I Love the Knight Life.

GST made a lot of statements in his interviews that did not actually pan out. He also made some statements that did come to pass. I'm sure some of his intentions were grounded by the network but I don't think this was one of them.

Additionally according to Paul Campbell (whom I asked at KRF III), K.A.R.R.(E) was never meant/planned to be the same car from the original series but was in fact a seperate vehicle all together with the same name to give the fans another bone - so ends that debate on whether or not it was the same K.A.R.R. from the original.

GST and the network stated they wanted something "different" for their character. According to Paul the script was much "darker" but the network chose to tone it down. I would love to read what the original script for that episode (Knight to King's Pawn) actually was intended to be, rather than what ultimately aired.

Paul also explained that the missing five episodes of the series which were cut from the original 22 planned, were never actually written so those also do not exist. I believe that would confirm there was no intention to really connect the original series team members to the newer series. Had they made those extra 5 episodes or gained another season I know according to a source of mine who was close to securing a second season "pitch" - they would have expanded more elements including introducing a brand new Knight Semi (Mobile Command Center) to transport KI3T around just like the original but with a modern tech approach.

=VK=
:dash:

chrisjones
FLAG Recruit

Post by chrisjones » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:50 pm

Such a massive shame it got canned! Would love to know who was influenced that decision as there was something distinctly 'iffy' about it all.

Nicholas Knight
Operative

Post by Nicholas Knight » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:11 pm

Yeah, NBC has let me down BIGTIME....Knight Rider......Bionic Woman... Good shows canned without explanation to the fans....
Knight Tech Inc. -- Where everyone makes a difference.

TheSlythe
Volunteer

Post by TheSlythe » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:57 pm

Knight Rider and Bionic Woman are the reason I am not sure I will be watching Wonder Woman.
Why do I want to spend my time getting into a series like these, only to be left halfway through with no conclusion of the story.
The more TV this happens, the less people will invest their time in new shows. Im certain it would have been in their long term interests to just let them run the full series and write an ending to please people.

Too many shows do this. I really enjoyed watching Sarah Connor and Dollhouse too, only for them to be axed with no ending.

Stop being so short sighted and air full stories, begining to end.

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:25 pm

TheSlythe wrote:Knight Rider and Bionic Woman are the reason I am not sure I will be watching Wonder Woman.
Why do I want to spend my time getting into a series like these, only to be left halfway through with no conclusion of the story.
The more TV this happens, the less people will invest their time in new shows. Im certain it would have been in their long term interests to just let them run the full series and write an ending to please people.

Too many shows do this. I really enjoyed watching Sarah Connor and Dollhouse too, only for them to be axed with no ending.

Stop being so short sighted and air full stories, begining to end.
- Couldn't agree more - except I didn't watch Dollhouse and I loved The Sarah Conner Chronicles, it did such a great job of including the other movies and staying loyal to most of the movie mythology (unlike the new KR series) but it had such a rushed, horrible ending that it makes wanting to watch it again (knowing how it ends) difficult for me. Wonder Woman, I just don't know - NBC's track record for maintaining "superhero" based properties is a mid-season cancellation shut out. I only watch NBC for The Celebrity Apprentice.

=VK=

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:03 am

Sue, AJ Palmgren and I visited the set and had a long chat with Steve Whiteside who was prop-master for both series. He talked about their plans if there was a season 2. Some pretty cool stuff:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15697&p=188349&hilit=semi#p188349" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On an earlier set visit with Neil, Gary Scott Thompson told us he was interested in bringing Patricia McPherson back for an episode. My impression was that they didn't have a specific plan for character yet, but if she was willing to do an episode they would have written it for her.

As far as things being "iffy" about the cancellation - I would love to come up with a big conspiracy theory about how the evil NBC executives plotted against the show. But the numbers don't lie, and Knight Rider was struggling in the ratings from the very start. It was doomed the moment it was put against the 3-week premiere of Dancing with the Stars.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

chrisjones
FLAG Recruit

Post by chrisjones » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:55 am

With ref to the ratings, towards the middle/end of the series the ratings werent too bad for a show of its type, that said from around episode 10 to 13 it very much felt like someone had already decided to 'stop trying' with the whole production.

magictorch
Recruit

Post by magictorch » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:56 am

Maybe given a chance the 2008 show could have grown into somthing that every person loved

who knows, has anyone ever tried to get a Q&A with GST to see why it was cancelled as with todays ratings, they wernt that bad!!!

chrisjones
FLAG Recruit

Post by chrisjones » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:05 pm

magictorch wrote:Maybe given a chance the 2008 show could have grown into somthing that every person loved

who knows, has anyone ever tried to get a Q&A with GST to see why it was cancelled as with todays ratings, they wernt that bad!!!
I might 'pull a few strings' via friends to see if I can work something out :wink:

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:41 pm

I don't blame NBC for cancelling Knight Rider when they did. I think it was a completely justifiable business decision. However, I DO blame them for not jumping in back in October to support the show more. That was just poor business.

The 2-hour movie did very well. NBC did a ton of promotion for the series over the summer, and the new show had the highest viewer awareness of any new show PLUS (and this is more important) very high "intention to watch" scores from viewers. Everything was lined up that the premiere shouild have been big. But the episode fizzled in the ratings. Keep in mind that at this point this has nothing to do with the quality of the series - viewers liked the movie, they knew about the new show and planned on watching, but they didn't.

This means that the 8:00 Wednesday timeslot was not a good match for the show. NBC should have moved it almost immediately. They probably would have still done a reboot to improve the storylines, but they would have started with a bigger audience. NBC had a potential hit on their hands and they blew it.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:11 pm

I have to blame NBC to an extent because unlike their other cancelled properties, they declined to air Knight Rider on their other sister networks like Sci-FI, nor make any announement of its cancellation. It's like they hated it so much they just wanted to sweep it under the rug and pretend it never happened. Then to make matters worse they film this thing in HD, make a big deal about it being in HD, and spit out a SD cheap looking box set. Yeah, it's not a bad box set really but they could have done better - instead they just did enough to get by.

And yet - with its abysmal reputation in the USA, they actually thought doing more promotion for it overseas for its international broadcast was going to do any better? I think they would have done better if they had just put the series in syndication in the states - and then internationally to try and recoup some of their losses. It's not like they had anything better at the time to put on anyway.

I get the feeling Knight Rider was Ben Silverman's baby and when he was let go - they wanted his ideas to go with him. I never watched "The Cape", I've heard decent things about it but when NBC announced they were cutting series episodes it instantly gave me the feeling of not watching the series because I knew if I got into it, I was setting myself up for disappointment. Perhaps that's how fans felt when they announced they were cutting back their episode order while the series was still going on? Sad really but there was more than just budget problems with the series from the get go. Having spoken to my friend extensively, there was a clear lack of direction with the writing and it showed - that more than contributed to the series downfall but at the end of the day it's NBC who pulled the plug uncermoniously and that's how fans will view it.

Maybe it was a business decision - fair enough but to not put it into syndication, create merchandise, or announce its cancellation was beyond an insult to the fans who still wanted more from it.

=VK=

Iron KITT
Rookie

Post by Iron KITT » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:43 pm

Some really interesting comments by everyone.

Been reading all the latest buzz on this Wonder Woman project, so they finally got it going, be interesting to see what happens to it.

As for The Bionic Woman, yeah what a shame they didnt give that show a chance!.

They really went to town with the publicity of bringing this show to life, the casting of Jamie was huge, with the beautiful and talented Michelle Ryan getting it, I thought it was perfect casting.

I really liked the set-up in bringing it to the next level, highly experimental sort of a super solidier programe, Katee Sackhoff's powerful performance as to what happens when the bionics go wrong was amazing, plus her and Michelle's fight on the roof top was just super cool.

I had high hopes for this series, british lead actress and a really slick set-up, it was totally different to the original and I liked that, it needed to be different to work in todays audiance, I thought they showed great promise, I definately feel they should have been given the oppertunity to at least finish the rest of season 1, give them a fair honest chance to find their groove and see what they could deliver.

Ah so cool to see other Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicle fans here too, love that show.

Season 1 was amazing wasnt it?. Season 2 really upped thier game, okay they dragged out the three dot thing abit mid way through and lost their way abit, but they definately came back great towards the end of the season.

Such a shame they didnt get a third season, as they really ended it with everything up in the air as to what will happen.

Just the way with shows now, so easily cancelled. Everyone here is entitled to how they feel about the 08 Knight Rider and I totally respect that, but I personally loved it, I really enjoyed it each week, not many shows like that were everyone can sit down and watch it for what it was, an adventure, just to forget about the real world for an hour and enjoy the ride.

I personally would love to see the original and the 08 series released on blu-ray, be really cool to see if they'd do that. Isnt Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronciles out on blu-ray?. If it is just shows even a short lived series can be out on the format, why not the 08 Knight Rider?.

Anyway my two pennies worth. :kitt:
Michael Knight: "KITT is the worlds greatest automobile"

My Movie Review Blog:
Sentient Saviour's Movie Wold!. http://sentientsaviourmovies.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

james olden
FLAG Recruit

Post by james olden » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:40 pm

to be honest i agree nbc is to blame
On the Quest for filling in the gaps from right after after Scent of Roses 1986- Knight Rider 2008