Michael Long's Trans-Am

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

chaserlights
Stranger
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Michael Long's Trans-Am

Post by chaserlights » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:40 pm

Hi all! :)
Did they turn Michael's trans-Am into KITT? I had thought that but KARR was made before him and he too is a Trans-Am.
Anyone have an idea?

Kal-el4
Operative

Re: Michael Long's Trans-Am

Post by Kal-el4 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:37 pm

hi, first, let me welcome you to these boards. and second, yes, even Michael thought that.... as his car was brought to the mansion when Michael was, after he was released from the hospital. And as KI2T didn't yet have a body, Michael's Trans Am was then made into his body....

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Lost Knight » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:47 pm

I'm glad you asked as I've been wondering lately as to what Glen Larson intended K.I.T.T. to be. And by the way, the Pilot was written independently of "Trust Doesn't Rust," in which the character of K.A.R.R. was created from another writer's interpretation later on. So with K.A.R.R. being a prototype Knight 2000, this of course makes it canon that Wilton Knight had at least selected the Trans Am body for K.I.T.T. before he came across Michael Long.

To try and answer your question, it's ambiguous, but in my view K.I.T.T. is a separate vehicle and Michael Long coincidentally happened to drive a brand new Trans Am which was the base model Wilton Knight settled on for the Knight 2000.

This question has come up countless times in the past, but I'm sure Victor Kros can shed some light on this again, because I can't seem to remember the answer and I'm too lazy to look it up. As Glen Larson completed writing the Pilot, was it his intention for K.I.T.T. to be built into Michael Long's Trans Am, or is he supposed to be a separate but similar vehicle?
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

chaserlights
Stranger

Post by chaserlights » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:35 am

Thanks guys, but uh who is Victor Kros?

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:02 am

That would be me...

Later in the series (the name of the episode escapes me) it is stated that Michael Long's TA was found abandoned out in the Nevada desert and that would indicate that it was another TA that Wilton used for the Knight 2000. However with Glen's original intentions for the "2 hour movie" (pilot), I remember discussing this subject with him and he stated that from a story standpoint Wilton selected the TA based upon knowing that Michael already had a feel for that particular model of automobile which might help him get used to working with the Knight 2000/KITT later on.

I would wager this is not a case of Wilton retriving Michael's personal TA and altering it into creating the Knight 2000 but rather picking a like model that Michael was familar with from the get-go to ease into his new role as Michael Knight..

Devon stated in the pilot that it wasn't his car, ambigious as his statement may seem, "Any resemblance between that car and your own is purely superficial. - No, it may look like your car but in actuality this vehicle is probably the most expensive car in the world. " - pretty much confirms they're two different cars according to Glen's original intention or Glen wouldn't have made it a point to add in those particular lines of dialogue to offset Michael's beliefs they used his personal car for their experiements.

=VK=
:dash:

Vincent
Recruit

Post by Vincent » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:05 am

Have to agree with you VK. While it could appear that Michael Long's Trans-Am was used to build the Knight 2000, the likely scenario was that Wilton used another one. Besides, they would need the car on-site with a body provided, so they could effectively fake his death.

Though why Wilton would want to make Kitt look - almost - exactly like Karr is something I've yet to understand.

Vince

:dash4:

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:28 am

Vincent wrote:Have to agree with you VK. While it could appear that Michael Long's Trans-Am was used to build the Knight 2000, the likely scenario was that Wilton used another one. Besides, they would need the car on-site with a body provided, so they could effectively fake his death.

Though why Wilton would want to make Kitt look - almost - exactly like Karr is something I've yet to understand.

Vince

- Well from a production standpoint - they needed to save money and keep the story arc interesting. From a story standpoint keep in mind that KARR installed in let's just call it the "Knight 1000" for sake of example - the "Knight 1000" as a car had no flaws and many of those features were carried over to the "Knight 2000", with upgraded circuitry and whatnot. This would explain (from a story standpoint) why KARR in TDR looks and feels like KITT but has some alternative features such as alpha circuits/capacitors.

The car itself wasn't flawed, the AI controlling it was. So in essence, building the same car with similar features would make perfect sense since most of the "testing" of said features (like turbo boost/ski mode) was already carried out with the previous car. As far as the AI's ability to control the vehicle, that's where KITT's "testing phase" was put into motion with Michael in the pilot. I find it intriguing that K.I.T.T. didn't even know what turbo boost was supposed to do - further demonstrating his ability to learn from Michael's actions.

One could then debate, why didn't Wilton just take KARR out of the Knight 1000 and use the same car for the Knight 2000? My guess would be, newer technology upgrades and additional safety features to ensure the safety of the "pilot" as well as the car itself. Newer model, newer features.

I also think Wilton planned on going back and trying to save KARR at one point which is why he chose not to just dismantal his project completely but probably decided it best not to take another risk of harming another driver and shelved his previous experiment and started over from scratch with K.I.T.T.

If K.A.R.R. felt betrayed by Wilton and knew he was his creator, I think it's safe to say there was at one time a relationship there. I would imagine that K.A.R.R. crossed the line and watched Wilton pull the plug that deactivated him in some sort of heartbreaking moment of crushing abandonment.

We really have no exact timeframe to pin down when the original K.A.R.R. AI and "Knight 1000" was created but we do know from Trust Doesn't Rust that in the canon of Knight Rider history, the Knight 2000 as a TA and its MBS was invented before K.I.T.T. - as far as the pilot is concerned, it does cause a bit of a problem establishing K.I.T.T. as the only car of the future - but I don't think enough to qualify as revisionist history but rather a refreshing expansion on Wilton's backstory that gave the series more depth.

=VK=

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:09 pm

Thanks for the insight, Victor. It's a much more settling thought to know that Wilton Knight had selected the Trans Am body to cater to what he thought Michael Long's tastes would be, as opposed to it just being a wild coincidence that both men chose the same vehicle. And making as smooth a transition as possible from Michael Long to Michael Knight was critical in terms of completing the mission(s) at hand. But this also fuels the notion that Wilton Knight originally had an entirely different vehicle in mind for the Knight 2000 before the Trans Am ever came out, perhaps something along the lines of what the Knight 4000 became. (We have hints of this in every episode with the background photographs of other vehicles in the semi.)

Regarding K.A.R.R.'s creation and his installment into the "Knight 1000" (or as I like to call prototype Knight 2000), I would say we're looking at a time period of no more than 6 months to a year before Wilton recruited Michael and had K.A.R.R. deactivated. Wilton had to screen Michael's performance as a cop and watch him closely for a period of time to get a feel for him, so when he selected the Trans Am, it was used experimentally with K.A.R.R. first. And that's not to mention that the 3rd generation Trans Am only came out that year anyway (as the Pilot was set in real time [August - September, 1982]).

Vincent
Recruit

Post by Vincent » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:47 pm

Lost Knight wrote:Regarding K.A.R.R.'s creation and his installment into the "Knight 1000" (or as I like to call prototype Knight 2000), I would say we're looking at a time period of no more than 6 months to a year before Wilton recruited Michael and had K.A.R.R. deactivated. Wilton had to screen Michael's performance as a cop and watch him closely for a period of time to get a feel for him, so when he selected the Trans Am, it was used experimentally with K.A.R.R. first. And that's not to mention that the 3rd generation Trans Am only came out that year anyway (as the Pilot was set in real time [August - September, 1982]).
I recall in S1E08 - Trust Doesn't Rust - that Devon stated that Six Months before they found Michael Long, KI2T's prototype, KARR was first activated. So I believe that it's possible that Wilton was able to secure one of the very first editions of the 3rd Gen. Trans-Am to put KARR's CPU into, before realising they got the programming wrong. He had, after all, been able to rebuild his business empire after Tanya Walker almost tanked it, some years before, as was stated in the Pilot. So finance would not really be an issue for him. 2nd sentence onwards is own opinion of course.

Vince

TurboBoostMan
Operative

Post by TurboBoostMan » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:01 am

Michael's Trans Am wasnt KITT. KITT had started being build way before Michael got shot. I recall Devon saying, "It may look like your car, but in actuallity this vehicle is probably the most expensive car in the world." Meaning, that its not his Trans Am.
"One Man Can Make A Difference" - Wilton Knight

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:23 am

TurboBoostMan wrote:Michael's Trans Am wasnt KITT. KITT had started being build way before Michael got shot. I recall Devon saying, "It may look like your car, but in actuallity this vehicle is probably the most expensive car in the world." Meaning, that its not his Trans Am.
- I believe I already stated that line/observation in a previous post.

=VK=

simon_a6
FLAG Recruit

Post by simon_a6 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:41 am

I've just been reading through this thread. There is some contradiction, and some big coincidences.
"purely superficial" indicates very loosely to me that the car is Michael's original car, but only in a superficial capacity: ie. the surface. The underneath, engine, dash and bodywork are now kitt. Once could say that since the engine is different (ML's car never did 200+), the dash most certainly different, the tyres different, and the bodywork ( Devon: "it's not metal") different, this cannot possibly be ML's original desert car.

Without wanting to repeat anyone here: it's either they copied ML's car as a "template" for KITTs look, which would make KARR a coincidence of design/selection, or, as has been said before, the fact they are the same is just coincidence itself.

I've heard the stories as to why Glen chose the Trans Am in the first place. My view is that they needed a car with a wide 'blocked' area behind the drivers seat, to attempt to block the 'auto driver'.

A Mustang from the 80s for example wouldn't have been able to pull it off so well. Not even sure if a Corvette at the time could have done it.

Iron KITT
Rookie

Post by Iron KITT » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:23 pm

Interesting comments by everyone and some insightful ideas too.

My take on it has always been that I took for granted what Devon said, thats it not his actual car. Just remember by the time Michael was brought in Wilton was already building KITT. So chances are majority of the car was nearly finished by the time Michael underwent his make-over, hence why Wilton wanted around the clock shifts to finish it now that Michael is up and around of course his own clock running out.

KARR was already the T/A, which is an interesting theory that Wilton may have been observing Michael Long as a candidate, if I remember in Knight Of The Drones wasnt there a scene were Devon revealed Michael wasnt the only one being considered?. Been along time since I saw that episode, but am nearly sure it's brought up in some capacity.

Something simillar to Street Hawk, Norman observing Jessie and filming his motorbike skills to bring back to the government as a candidate, for Jessie, Norman opposed him as Jessie was considered to reckless and no regard for his own safety, while the government loved Jessie and his test pilot mentality.

So maybe Wilton had Michael Long under observation to see what he is made of, but ultimately Devons explination says it all.

I love all these types of theories as it breathes new life into a fans perspective vision of how they view the gaps or not as explained deatails in episodes, leaves room for imgaination.

Great ideas folkes. :kitt:
Michael Knight: "KITT is the worlds greatest automobile"

My Movie Review Blog:
Sentient Saviour's Movie Wold!. http://sentientsaviourmovies.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

james olden
FLAG Recruit

Post by james olden » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:47 am

Iron KITT wrote:Interesting comments by everyone and some insightful ideas too.

My take on it has always been that I took for granted what Devon said, thats it not his actual car. Just remember by the time Michael was brought in Wilton was already building KITT. So chances are majority of the car was nearly finished by the time Michael underwent his make-over, hence why Wilton wanted around the clock shifts to finish it now that Michael is up and around of course his own clock running out.

KARR was already the T/A, which is an interesting theory that Wilton may have been observing Michael Long as a candidate, if I remember in Knight Of The Drones wasnt there a scene were Devon revealed Michael wasnt the only one being considered?. Been along time since I saw that episode, but am nearly sure it's brought up in some capacity.

Something simillar to Street Hawk, Norman observing Jessie and filming his motorbike skills to bring back to the government as a candidate, for Jessie, Norman opposed him as Jessie was considered to reckless and no regard for his own safety, while the government loved Jessie and his test pilot mentality.

So maybe Wilton had Michael Long under observation to see what he is made of, but ultimately Devons explination says it all.

I love all these types of theories as it breathes new life into a fans perspective vision of how they view the gaps or not as explained deatails in episodes, leaves room for imgaination.

Great ideas folkes. :kitt:
yes you are right Michael Long wasnt the first to be choosed it was ken franklin but CJ Jackson killed him. so basically K.A.R.R. and Ken Franklin was suppose to be the first?
On the Quest for filling in the gaps from right after after Scent of Roses 1986- Knight Rider 2008

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:27 pm

james olden wrote:yes you are right Michael Long wasnt the first to be choosed it was ken franklin but CJ Jackson killed him. so basically K.A.R.R. and Ken Franklin was suppose to be the first?
That would contradict Wilton selecting the Trans Am body specifically to suit Michael's taste, as K.A.R.R. was fully operational at least 6 months before the events of "Knight Of the Phoenix."

james olden
FLAG Recruit

Post by james olden » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:37 pm

ok i understand what you saying about what devon said on trust doesnt rust that karr was before kitt. but what about on knight of the drones when devon and michael was talkin about that ken franklin was choosed before him ?
On the Quest for filling in the gaps from right after after Scent of Roses 1986- Knight Rider 2008

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:06 am

When Devon was telling Michael,"Any resemblance between this car and your own is purely superficial."He never really said its not yours.Yours is out in the desert this is a new one.He sounded like to me that just the outside shell is his,maybe bonded with a new metal.Everything on the insides been gutted like new door locks that the guys in Silicon Valley couldn't pick.The engines a Knight Industries Turbojet engine.An onboard super computer with dashboard user interface,New ejector seats.A different nose bumperNew rear tail light display.It just sounded like the insides all different with the best engineered wheels,axils,hydraulics etc.

TurboBoostMan
Operative

Post by TurboBoostMan » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:43 pm

Victor Kros wrote:
TurboBoostMan wrote:Michael's Trans Am wasnt KITT. KITT had started being build way before Michael got shot. I recall Devon saying, "It may look like your car, but in actuallity this vehicle is probably the most expensive car in the world." Meaning, that its not his Trans Am.
- I believe I already stated that line/observation in a previous post.

=VK=
well, i'm sorry. i overlooked it.
"One Man Can Make A Difference" - Wilton Knight

BIGGUY007
Volunteer

Post by BIGGUY007 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:19 am

I've always thought that KI2T was Michael Long's Trans-Am. Because if it isn't, wouldn't of Michael drive KITT to the desert location to pick M.A.L's Trans-Am.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:30 am

That's an excellent point.But If Michaell Long is supposed to let the world believe he is dead then it would be very strange to the public if suddenly his car was gone.Surveilance cameras probably recorded him pulling out of the casino with his car.I still think kitt was installed into Michael's car and Devon explained that just the outer body looks like his car on the outside.But on the inside pure Knight Industries engineered technology.

knightfever
Operative

Post by knightfever » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:16 pm

BIGGUY007 wrote:I've always thought that KI2T was Michael Long's Trans-Am. Because if it isn't, wouldn't of Michael drive KITT to the desert location to pick M.A.L's Trans-Am.
That would have been a bit obvious to the people that tried to kill Michael Long in the beginning. I am pretty sure that Wilton and/or Devon would have made sure to have Michael's Trans-Am moved out of the desert. As that car was registered to Michael Long, he couldn't drive that car. It would put him in danger. The people responsible for his "murder" were still out there, even after Tonya was killed. Devon makes it quite clear in KOTP that KITT was not made from Long's Trans-Am. I don't understand why people are still arguing over this. When I saw the pilot back in '82 at the age of 7 years old, I understood that Devon was telling him that it wasn't his car.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:45 pm

knightfever wrote:I don't understand why people are still arguing over this. When I saw the pilot back in '82 at the age of 7 years old, I understood that Devon was telling him that it wasn't his car.
Me either! Even after they're told that the creator of the show says it's not the same car, some people still don't get it. :roll:

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:32 pm

They could have easily left the car in the Nevada desert, it would made a lot more sense to do so to sell ML's "death". Let's not forget that the time Michael was shot to where he recovers and first drives KITT isn't a span of days or a couple weeks, it's most likely months if not more not sure barring "TV magic", even if he was saved by that metal plate.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Nicholas Knight
Operative

Post by Nicholas Knight » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:36 pm

I've had the understanding that the Am's (Long's and KITT) was two separate vehicles. Personally, I always thought FLAG watched Michael Long as well as Ken Franklin. Unfortunately, Ken was chosen first and killed in duty. Maybe Ken had a Trans Am (old style) as well, who knows, ha ha. I assumed after Ken was killed, FLAG built Karr (built similar to ML's car), then later after Karr was deactivated, sent Devon looking for Mike Long....who he found shot in the face in the desert. FLAG did a cover-up of the situation, leaving a body and ML's car. Then they created Kitt, which also looked similar to ML's car.

Maybe they were studying Long and designed both Kitt and Karr to suit MK's taste after Ken Franklin's death...
Knight Tech Inc. -- Where everyone makes a difference.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:29 am

The novelization of Knight of the Phoenix refers to "the reincarnation of your car", so in the book it's pretty obvious that KITT is Michael Long's car. Having said that, I personally don't consider the books to be absolute canon so it doesn't prove anything to me.

My general feeling is that the simplest answer is the best. Knight Rider was not a complicated series. There wasn't a lot of deep intricate layers of hidden meanings and symbolism. So in keeping with that, I think the simplest answer is that Michael Long's car became KITT. Then when Trust Doesn't Rust came along, they simply retconned it. (is that a word?)
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com