The unfortunate legacy of the Knight Rider TV Franchise

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

kitt34
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

The unfortunate legacy of the Knight Rider TV Franchise

Post by kitt34 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:53 pm

Back in 1982, Glen A. Larson who also created battlestar galatica and it's remake, did a show years ago about a talking car, don't give me wrong, there was a show about a talking car that I Hated called My Mother, The Car which is one of the worst tv shows of all time, but it got better when this show came out, I Knew that just like gimme a break, the smurfs, cheers, primetime soap operas, Miami Vice, the cosby show and to a lesser extent transformers that it kicked off the 1980's with a bang, it's about a talking sleek black supercar and it's driver michael knight who was michael long after he got shot in las vegas and left to die by tanya walker, for 4 years they rode together to fight against criminals who operate above the law, but season 4 was the beginning of the end of KR television franchise, But even that season was better than the rest came foward.

Knight Rider 2000: 1991

Although Hasselhoff and Mulhare were great, the plots, the red KITT and the rest of not quite that good, I Gave it 2 stars.

Knight Rider 2010: 1994
This has nothing to do with the original, aside from a talking car, I Saw this years ago when Universal had their action pack and it was terrible, it was a Mad Max style rip-off with no plot, I Gave it one star

Team Knight Rider 1997

Come On 5 flag operatives with their own vehicles, please it doesn't work, plus Viper was better than this trash
No Stars

Knight Rider 2008:
The Pilot was interesting, then it all went downhill from here, come on Knight Rider is not viper and transformers, this is a messy disaster that should have never been made and poor bruce davidson is wasted in an idiotic suppporting role, this maybe his biggest waste of talent since harry and the hendersons which is a little superior to this and even the car is terrible, this continuation of the show is a waste of time and money.
No Stars

The Original Knight Rider was one of the greatest tv series of all time, I'm not sure if william daniels ever since the other 3 KR Revivals after KR 2000, I Think He might wanna change the subject.

james olden
FLAG Recruit

Re: The unfortunate legacy of the Knight Rider TV Franchise

Post by james olden » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:44 pm

Knight Rider 2000: 1991 -
i agree with you about this movie,just why they had to kill devon off.

Knight Rider 2010: 1994 -
crap but i disagree with the stars no stars

Team Knight Rider 1997-
i agree also about having everyone with their own car is crap. but i did like the K.R.O. episode.

Knight Rider 2008-
Ok movie.I just wish they wouldve brought k.i.2.t. back for at least the pilot episode to help out k.I.3.T. and mike jr.
On the Quest for filling in the gaps from right after after Scent of Roses 1986- Knight Rider 2008

Vincent
Recruit
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Vincent » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:08 pm

Knight Rider: The Original Series (1982-1986) - The original and best, the characters were well made and developed, and continued to grow as the series progressed. Quality began to suffer near end of Season Three and Fourth Season contained more poor episodes than good ones. Scent of Roses was best episode of otherwise poor season and one of the top ten episodes in the entire Knight Rider Franchise.

Overall I'd give it a 7.9/10.

Knight Rider 2000 (1991) - The first attempt to revive the franchise came in 1991 with this, a clear continuation of the series. A rather weak script, lack of action and poor music score did little to help this, and killing off Devon Miles certainly did more harm than good. Only good thing about it was the original KI2T, who would appear in no other Knight Rider revival attempt.

3.5/10.

Knight Rider 2010 (1994) - This actually has nothing to do with the original series, the only things it has in common with Knight Rider is the name, the AI in the car and the lone warrior. As a direct result, it is often dismissed by the fanbase, sometimes without them even watching it I suspect. I have seen it end-to-end so I can give a review. While having almost nothing to do with the main series, most of the elements that formed Knight Rider are there. Primarily the One Man who can Make a Difference, operating in a world of criminals that operate above the law, and has the perhaps dubious honour of being the one that is closest to the spirit of the Original Series.

6.4/10 on account that I treat it as a remake.

Team Knight Rider (1997) - A real turkey, this one. Too many actors, each with their own AI car (or bike), haphazard plot, over-dependance on the Terrorist-of-the-Week system. Only good episode was K.R.O. which features on my top ten best episodes. Though it did at least try to pay proper homage to the Original Series, generally, it was just too weak in too many areas to last more than one season.

3.6/10

Knight Rider 2008 (2008-2009) - The Pilot was actually rather good in my opinion and had they followed on from it, they may have had a winner. Instead they chose to dump it all in favour of: huge team; goverment operation; Terrorist-of-the-Week. Did they forget about TKR? Though I'd forgive them if they did. The mid-season reboot did correct all the errors episodes 11-17 worked very well. With Don't Stop The Knight and Day Turns Into Knight being the best two of that season in my opinion, and in my top ten list. But it was too late, and after its first season run, it was cancelled, just as they had perfected it.

7.2/10 thanks to the pilot, reboot and post-reboot episodes.

Vince

:dash4:

james olden
FLAG Recruit

Post by james olden » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:10 pm

yes i agree about scent of roses that was a great dark side episode of knight rider.
On the Quest for filling in the gaps from right after after Scent of Roses 1986- Knight Rider 2008

Josch Schulz
FLAG Operative

Post by Josch Schulz » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:12 pm

Code: Select all

Knight Rider 2010 (1994) - This actually has nothing to do with the original series, the only things it has in common with Knight Rider is the name, the AI in the car and the lone warrior. As a direct result, it is often dismissed by the fanbase, sometimes without them even watching it I suspect. I have seen it end-to-end so I can give a review. While having almost nothing to do with the main series, most of the elements that formed Knight Rider are there. Primarily the One Man who can Make a Difference, operating in a world of criminals that operate above the law, and has the perhaps dubious honour of being the one that is closest to the spirit of the Original Series.

6.4/10 on account that I treat it as a remake. 
Thanks, good one :good: Anway here is a little story from the european market. When KR 2010 arrived here it gets the Name "Metal Force". It aired with high ratings and people says "That is so cool, but why did they not named it Knight Rider. There is a talking car and a Michael Knight Style Guy." So then it comes to the VHS Tape (I have the original one here) and gets the Name Knight Rider 2010 the people says this has nothing to do with Knight Rider...this has nothing to do with the original show. WTF is that :roll: :roll: 6.4 of 10 is what I was think to. There is alot from the old series in there and when you turn it more to the KR way...shame it was an interesting idea.
There's nothing worse than a smart-ass automobile

Nicholas Knight
Operative

Post by Nicholas Knight » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:25 am

My opinion of each show/series.

Original Knight Rider - 9/10 A lotta great stories, 80's style humor. Although some weird awkward situations (example...KITT's nose changes in the pilot ep, is KITT Michael Long's car??, the missing Bonnie/April in seasons 2/3, Jennifer Knight suddenly owns FLAG, and who put MBS on KITT in Season 4??) but this doesn't take away the fact that this is a ultimately entertaining and mainly family oriented show. It just looks like they ran outta ideas in Season 4.

Knight Rider 2000 5/10 This TV movie/pilot was rushed....and ugh, it shows painfully. Turning a action series into a drama hurt the chances of ever being a season. Micheal and Devon were ok, and KITT/KIFT was acceptable, mainly because of the "Futuristic" theme. But no familiar theme music in ANY way. And Shawn Mccormick and the others were forgettable. And the end with Micheal leaving the Foundation AGAIN kinda sucked because he still seemed in his prime.

Knight Rider 2010 (MetalForce: Apocalypse in LA) 4/10 This movie is at the bottom of the bunch for one main reason-- A example of how NOT to do this. This movie began with scripts that was "current", with even KITT involved. What happened to this is a true-to-life unsolved mystery. Ohrberg's original modifed black ThunderBird looked promising, but then the style was changed. This became another "Future" situation, which although the elements of Knight Rider were there, there was no reason for this to be Knight related simply because it is simply not connected to the old show. That's like calling the old 80's cartoon Snorks ---> Smurfs 2010. If the TV show Viper was called "The New Adventures of Knight Rider", would it fit nicer than K2010.

Team Knight Rider 6/10 This show was created during the "Power Ranger Hype" and it shows. Unique Cars and Drivers, low budget special effects, everybody got on blue jumpsuits, and some B style acting. The KRO episode was the best, hands down bringing a bond to the old show...until KRO melted in......hot molten metal. So no evil car would be returning. Having the red grill light added to Domino was sweet as well as Domino doing "ski mode". But that series was to cluttered by too many people, with too little effort to close the gap with the old series. The introduction of Shadow and Mobius was cool, but confusing. But showing the KITT cpu as a "scannered orb", And Micheal Knight with a leather....trenchcoat??And no pilot ep showing how they began....ugh.

Knight Rider movie 2008. 7/10 Revival of the Icon....by Ford. The Shelby GT500 Mustang, is cool looking, with the digital gauges, Ipad touchscreen, and...chrome computer cover on the backseat. Although not as sleek looking as KI2T, its "attack/spm" mode paid homage to the original car with the all black setup. But the adult situations dampered this show. Mike sleeping with two gals in the beginning, Agent Rivai being a lesbian, and Dylan's presence altogether hurt the show. And the BIGGEST letdown--> Having the Original Micheal Knight portrayed as a deadbeat dad is a slap in any KR fan's face.

Knight Rider Series (2008-09) 7/10. Taking a different route than the pilot for no sensible reason, the Series went a lil too HIGH TECH. A FBI SuperBase called Knight Research....with no connection to the Knight Bloodline whatsoever. Then went overboard with a touchscreen Hood, having KI3T turn into any Ford Vehicle, inconsistant storyline, and too many similar characters (two smart characters, two serious characters). Then the revamped KI3T's interior looked too factory with nothing memorable besides the orb. And the New Attack Mode, which had some classic elements from the Super Pursuit Mode (the original KI2T had red ground lighting) and the KI2T styling from the episode "Custom KITT" (The chrome pipes, the large chrome tires, and the high spoiler), made it look too outrageous. The "retooling" of the show shouldn't have involved taking away Charles Graimen, the "Devon" of the group. Mike's past was screwed up, KARR's revival screwed up, and having too many James Bond-like missions(terrorists) compared to the Remington Steele-like missions (smaller situations) ended this series .

(My Opinion)
Knight Tech Inc. -- Where everyone makes a difference.

krrdr2010
FLAG Recruit

Post by krrdr2010 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:38 pm

I Do NOT Consider the Legacy of the Knight Rider TV Franchise Unfortunate. In fact, Here is My Review on all of it:
KNIGHT RIDER(1982-1986)-Legendary, Iconic. Great Storylines, Phenominal Action. I give it 10 out of 10.
KNIGHT RIDER:2000(1991)-While I agree Devon shouldn't have been killed off, I liked the Concept of the Knight
4000. I would've put Michael Knight in Chare of F.L.A.G. I Give it a 7 out of 10
KNIGHT RIDER:2010(1994)-The only thing good about it is that is Feautred Hudson Leick(Callisto from Xena and
Hercules). I give it a 3 out of 10
TEAM KNIGHT RIDER(1997-1998)-Interesting Concept. Trying to take the Knight Rider idea to a new Level.
I would love to have seen how they come up with Dante, Attack Beast, Domno,
Plato and Kat. How they picked the Operatives of TKR, What went wrong
with KRO, and was that the 'Hoff in the Final Episode. I wasn't a Big fan of
F.L.A.G. being allied with the Government, considering Wilton's bad experience
with them. I Like it. I give it a 7 out of 10.
KNIGHT RIDER(2008-2009)-GREAT MOVIE. KI3T is Cool(a Ford Shelby GT 500 Mustang KR). Ford also supplied
Vehicles for TKR(a Ford Expedition(Dante), a Ford F150(Attack Beast),
and a Ford Mustang(Domino)-just thought People shoud know that). Michael
being a deadbeat dad-Not Great. I would love to know what MIchael wasn't
in his son's life(was he protecting him from an Old Adversary of MIchael's-
Garthe Perhaps?). Bruce Davison, Deanna Russo, and Justin Bruenning did
A good Job. I give it and the Seiries a 9 out of 10. A Series that had a lot
of Potential, If the Hoff was involved More.

kitt34
FLAG Recruit

Post by kitt34 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:58 pm

james olden wrote:Knight Rider 2000: 1991 -
i agree with you about this movie,just why they had to kill devon off.

Knight Rider 2010: 1994 -
crap but i disagree with the stars no stars

Team Knight Rider 1997-
i agree also about having everyone with their own car is crap. but i did like the K.R.O. episode.

Knight Rider 2008-
Ok movie.I just wish they wouldve brought k.i.2.t. back for at least the pilot episode to help out k.I.3.T. and mike jr.
I Didn't like any of the KR Franchise after KR 2000.

Josch Schulz
FLAG Operative

Post by Josch Schulz » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:03 am

Code: Select all

If the TV show Viper was called "The New Adventures of Knight Rider", would it fit nicer than K2010. 
Lol I bet thats why they did the new Knight Rider Show, this is so pure Viper *lol* The Vipercave, morphing... The new Adventures of Knight Rider...or Viper Rider is done my friend and they called it Knight Rider 2008/2009 :lol:
There's nothing worse than a smart-ass automobile

kitt34
FLAG Recruit

Post by kitt34 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:25 pm

And that KR 2008 was so badly, even the CGI Effects aren't that good, Your turn off the TV, very frustrated and that final climate sequence in that KR 08 Premiere is one of the most gloring errors in recent tv history, the FBI shoots mike knight II down, then he wakes up with the same clothes on.
i'm glad it was end the of the Knight Rider TV Franchise.

james olden
FLAG Recruit

Post by james olden » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:27 pm

Nicholas Knight wrote:My opinion of each show/series.

Original Knight Rider - 9/10 A lotta great stories, 80's style humor. Although some weird awkward situations (example...KITT's nose changes in the pilot ep, is KITT Michael Long's car??, the missing Bonnie/April in seasons 2/3, Jennifer Knight suddenly owns FLAG, and who put MBS on KITT in Season 4??) but this doesn't take away the fact that this is a ultimately entertaining and mainly family oriented show. It just looks like they ran outta ideas in Season 4.

Knight Rider 2000 5/10 This TV movie/pilot was rushed....and ugh, it shows painfully. Turning a action series into a drama hurt the chances of ever being a season. Micheal and Devon were ok, and KITT/KIFT was acceptable, mainly because of the "Futuristic" theme. But no familiar theme music in ANY way. And Shawn Mccormick and the others were forgettable. And the end with Micheal leaving the Foundation AGAIN kinda sucked because he still seemed in his prime.

Knight Rider 2010 (MetalForce: Apocalypse in LA) 4/10 This movie is at the bottom of the bunch for one main reason-- A example of how NOT to do this. This movie began with scripts that was "current", with even KITT involved. What happened to this is a true-to-life unsolved mystery. Ohrberg's original modifed black ThunderBird looked promising, but then the style was changed. This became another "Future" situation, which although the elements of Knight Rider were there, there was no reason for this to be Knight related simply because it is simply not connected to the old show. That's like calling the old 80's cartoon Snorks ---> Smurfs 2010. If the TV show Viper was called "The New Adventures of Knight Rider", would it fit nicer than K2010.

Team Knight Rider 6/10 This show was created during the "Power Ranger Hype" and it shows. Unique Cars and Drivers, low budget special effects, everybody got on blue jumpsuits, and some B style acting. The KRO episode was the best, hands down bringing a bond to the old show...until KRO melted in......hot molten metal. So no evil car would be returning. Having the red grill light added to Domino was sweet as well as Domino doing "ski mode". But that series was to cluttered by too many people, with too little effort to close the gap with the old series. The introduction of Shadow and Mobius was cool, but confusing. But showing the KITT cpu as a "scannered orb", And Micheal Knight with a leather....trenchcoat??And no pilot ep showing how they began....ugh.

Knight Rider movie 2008. 7/10 Revival of the Icon....by Ford. The Shelby GT500 Mustang, is cool looking, with the digital gauges, Ipad touchscreen, and...chrome computer cover on the backseat. Although not as sleek looking as KI2T, its "attack/spm" mode paid homage to the original car with the all black setup. But the adult situations dampered this show. Mike sleeping with two gals in the beginning, Agent Rivai being a lesbian, and Dylan's presence altogether hurt the show. And the BIGGEST letdown--> Having the Original Micheal Knight portrayed as a deadbeat dad is a slap in any KR fan's face.

Knight Rider Series (2008-09) 7/10. Taking a different route than the pilot for no sensible reason, the Series went a lil too HIGH TECH. A FBI SuperBase called Knight Research....with no connection to the Knight Bloodline whatsoever. Then went overboard with a touchscreen Hood, having KI3T turn into any Ford Vehicle, inconsistant storyline, and too many similar characters (two smart characters, two serious characters). Then the revamped KI3T's interior looked too factory with nothing memorable besides the orb. And the New Attack Mode, which had some classic elements from the Super Pursuit Mode (the original KI2T had red ground lighting) and the KI2T styling from the episode "Custom KITT" (The chrome pipes, the large chrome tires, and the high spoiler), made it look too outrageous. The "retooling" of the show shouldn't have involved taking away Charles Graimen, the "Devon" of the group. Mike's past was screwed up, KARR's revival screwed up, and having too many James Bond-like missions(terrorists) compared to the Remington Steele-like missions (smaller situations) ended this series .

(My Opinion)

To answer your question about the M.B.S. on season 4 of T.O.S., i guess they put the M.B.S. back on ki2t sometime between after the juggernaut mission and their next mission after leaving Chicago.

kitt34
FLAG Recruit

Post by kitt34 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:18 pm

Knight Rider 08 was really the final nail in the coffin for the Knight Rider Television Franchise.
Such a waste of talent for bruce davison who had an oscar nominated role in a great movie called longtime companion, Just like Michael Caine in Jaws the Revenge.

Stealthwalker
Operative

Post by Stealthwalker » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:13 am

Knight Rider (TOS)- (10/10)
Knight Rider 2000- (5.5./10) I really wished that the story was more focussed on MK & KI2T rather than Shawn McCormick & why did they really have to kill off Devon?
Knight Rider 2010- Never saw it & never will. & will not give the movie a rating because it ain't Knight Rider.
Team Knight Rider- (1/10) Corny, I just was not feeling it, I liked the fact that they made references to TOS & even brought Jack Gill back to handle the stunts but still it didn't have that feeling of TOS.
Knight Rider 2008- (Pilot 8.5/10) I liked the Pilot episode & the direction that it was headed in before GST took over, the only thing that I wish there was more of was that Mike Traceur was doing more driving & little more continunity was bridged between TOS & the Pilot. Now, as for the series, there are some episodes before the reboot that I hate & love because I think that the writing could've been better, because they had too many main characters that were all cluttered up on one screen & this focus really got away from the main protagonists (MK2 & KI3T) storylines. I really hate the fact that the series went into the right direction at the end of the series & it seemed like the powers that be at NBC really did not make the effort to get this show on the path that it needed to be on. (Series 7.5/10)
Stealthwalker aka "Tha Lone Crusader"

"We Meet Again". As quoted by Garthe Knight in "Goliath & Goliath Returns"

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:20 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvcedO8z ... 76BDA5DA00" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Re-elect Mayor Goldie wilson, Progress is his middle name!
Save the Clocktower!
Go Boston Red Sox! Go Boston Bruins! Go Boston Celtics!
Go the distance and he will come!

kitt34
FLAG Recruit

Post by kitt34 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:17 pm

Knight Rider TV Franchise pretty much went from medicore to disaster after the original.