Including the Trans Am in a modern day reboot

Archive for discussions from 2010. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Matthew
Site Administrator
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Including the Trans Am in a modern day reboot

Post by Matthew » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:27 pm

Hey guys,

As you know, the movie versions of the Dukes of Hazzard and the A-Team were able to feature reasonable recreations of the General Lee and the A-Team van. KITT, (as a technological marvel) is of course completely different. Yet when push comes to shove, almost all of us would like to see the third generation Trans Am brought to the big screen.

Sadly, the desire of the fandom can’t supersede the logic of the storyline. The shortage of suitable candidates in our evermore antiseptic world of automotive technology might have a bearing though.

By looking back at the origin of KITT, we see that Michael Long’s Trans Am was (originally) transformed into the Knight 2000. This personal connection is something that I feel a movie going audience could buy into. Of course, the modern setting would present the same kind of issues that led to the A-Team van being updated. For example, a technologically updated dashboard would be an absolute given, as would other subtle (and perhaps not so subtle) changes.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I’m kinda torn over how I’d feel about KITT undergoing the kind of changes that were made to the GMC Vandura.

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

Josch Schulz
FLAG Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Including the Trans Am in a modern day reboot

Post by Josch Schulz » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:35 pm

And here we go again :roll: :P But okay and here we have a new Trans Am:

The old one is never returning in a movie, because Knight Rider was a modern show...we have to acapt that we have to make a reboot and use something special....no other way for a modern time.
There's nothing worse than a smart-ass automobile

Matthew
Site Administrator

Post by Matthew » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:44 pm

Yeah, I'm not talking about one of those conversions that everyone keeps posting. I'm talking about how to bring the original KITT to the big screen in a believable way, and what compromises would be acceptable if it were to happen. :good:

Matt

WIBoomer1
FLAG Recruit

Post by WIBoomer1 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:08 am

Matthew wrote:By looking back at the origin of KITT, we see that Michael Long’s Trans Am was (originally) transformed into the Knight 2000.
Matt, of all people, I'm surprised that you made this gaffe.

Devon makes the comment that it may superficially look like a Trans-Am, but it's not a T/A. KARR was built before Michael was a part of the plan...so the design was locked into place. Are you suggesting that Knight Industries was nothing more than a specialty customization company? Sources here have commented in the past that the Knight 2000 was based upon aircraft designs and systems that Knight Industries created.

In the real world, for the series, yes, of course, KITT was a T/A. But in the universe where KITT is real, not even close.

And for the record, no I don't want to see a 1982 T/A KITT. If it's a retcon, as VK has said it's going to be (and it makes more sense than the real fans want to admit), then you need to reach further than a 30 year old design. I'd rather see something that isn't a real car, a one off that has a lot of different styling ques, but has all the ingredients that the Knight 2000 or 3000 (same fricking acronym, 2000 is so 20th century)requires:

an unconventional state-of-the-art leading-edge powertrain *supplemented of course with Turbo Boost.
An futuristic aerodynamic 4 passenger design, but conventional enough to blend in
Electronics that are 3 to 4 generations above anything currently out in the market
the AI, of course
Gotta be black, gotta have scanner(s)

james olden
FLAG Recruit

Post by james olden » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:36 am

WIBoomer1 wrote:
Matthew wrote:By looking back at the origin of KITT, we see that Michael Long’s Trans Am was (originally) transformed into the Knight 2000.
Matt, of all people, I'm surprised that you made this gaffe.

Devon makes the comment that it may superficially look like a Trans-Am, but it's not a T/A. KARR was built before Michael was a part of the plan...so the design was locked into place. Are you suggesting that Knight Industries was nothing more than a specialty customization company? Sources here have commented in the past that the Knight 2000 was based upon aircraft designs and systems that Knight Industries created.

In the real world, for the series, yes, of course, KITT was a T/A. But in the universe where KITT is real, not even close.

And for the record, no I don't want to see a 1982 T/A KITT. If it's a retcon, as VK has said it's going to be (and it makes more sense than the real fans want to admit), then you need to reach further than a 30 year old design. I'd rather see something that isn't a real car, a one off that has a lot of different styling ques, but has all the ingredients that the Knight 2000 or 3000 (same fricking acronym, 2000 is so 20th century)requires:

an unconventional state-of-the-art leading-edge powertrain *supplemented of course with Turbo Boost.
An futuristic aerodynamic 4 passenger design, but conventional enough to blend in
Electronics that are 3 to 4 generations above anything currently out in the market
the AI, of course
Gotta be black, gotta have scanner(s)
i agree because k.a.r.r. was defintly before k.i.2.t. so k.i.2.t. wasnt michael longs car.
On the Quest for filling in the gaps from right after after Scent of Roses 1986- Knight Rider 2008

Matthew
Site Administrator

Post by Matthew » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:04 am

WIBoomer1 wrote:Devon makes the comment that it may superficially look like a Trans-Am, but it's not a T/A. KARR was built before Michael was a part of the plan...so the design was locked into place. Are you suggesting that Knight Industries was nothing more than a specialty customization company?
No, of course not Boomer, I was simply citing the intent of the writers at the time Knight of the Phoenix was in production. Obviously, the introduction of KARR meant that changes had to be made to KITT’s origin, but it was over a year before a newspaper article featuring Michael’s abandoned car gave us a definitive answer.
WIBoomer1 wrote:Sources here have commented in the past that the Knight 2000 was based upon aircraft designs and systems that Knight Industries created.
Yeah, that’s true, as the specifications from the KITT kit state that the engine is a Knight Industries turbojet with modified afterburners. So, for me to say that the Knight 2000 was an enhanced facsimile of the 1982 Pontiac Trans Am is an acknowledged understatement on my part.

If the Knight 2000 had been Michael Long’s car as originally intended though, then only the basic design of the body and the interior would have remained unchanged.

Matt

Iron KITT
Rookie

Post by Iron KITT » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:19 am

Ummm...

Always a tough question regarding the original machines when bringing a new version to the table.

As cool as it would be to see the original up there on screen, cant see it happening.

I personally think they might go in a new direction, unless they get Pontiac to come up with something.

I loved what they did with the current series having the Mustang, thought it was cool.
Michael Knight: "KITT is the worlds greatest automobile"

My Movie Review Blog:
Sentient Saviour's Movie Wold!. http://sentientsaviourmovies.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Josch Schulz
FLAG Operative

Post by Josch Schulz » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:24 am

I always wonder that the question of the old Trans Am is always coming up again... :roll: How often did we have to discuss that??? Times are change and reboot means a new car, that is how it goes...sorry but as you see in the Dukes of Hazzard these movies was not very good because I missed the touch from the 70s...but I agree how nice it was to see the Charger flying. On the other side was it not realy what they where hoping for...it failed alot and they had the old car. Same with the A Team...it was not realy a big Hit in Cinema... So as you see it has nothing to do if the car is there or not. It has to do with a good promotion, good actors, a good disign and of course a very good story.... :good: :mrgreen:

Code: Select all

KITT was and is going to be the car of the future what sense make it there to give him Style from the 80s and show the Trans Am...we seen enough replicas ouda there...would give us a realy funny feeling I think, from the costs I do not talk. Imagine how epensive it is going to be to work with a classic like the 82 Trans Am, nono we have to look up for something new. It is like me...if you would know what I plan here with my replica, what is not and never will be based on any F Body, you go like "what the heck" but this is a part you will see when my replica is done. Yes it is a Knight 3000 but has nothing to with the old series. Mayby not everybody loves that, but as I say, times changes :mrgreen:
There's nothing worse than a smart-ass automobile

Knight2000
FLAG Recruit

Post by Knight2000 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:14 pm

There's nothing wrong with KITT being Michael Long's T/A - only the shell and the interior (seats, upholstery etc) remained the same. The mechanics, the electronics could easily be replaced. The body had the MBS applied (technically, the Pilot had the "metal" as a completely new substance whereas later in the show, the MBS was something that could be applied). If KITT wasn't MK's old T/A, then why did they show him driving one? Why not some other car? What was the reason behind it?

In the show, KITT was described as a "modified Trans-Am". There's nothing wrong with choosing a current replacement, some light exterior modification (none of this Attack mode etc) and resembling a normal car. Back in the 80s, T/As were common and KITT, although looked futuristic (which IMO is down to the design of the T/A) was meant to "blend in". Any talk of "supercar" or "completely customised" cars IMO ruins the effect.

I think the only way the T/A should be present is as a cameo, in the background. I don't want an "obvious" nod to the car, just something subtle.

roDa
Rookie

Post by roDa » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:44 am

But don't forget the 3rd gen T/A wasn't that common when the show started...
Those streets have more potholes than Devon has neckties. :lol:

Iron KITT
Rookie

Post by Iron KITT » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:53 pm

Think thats why they went with the T/A as it was new, it had all the qualities they were looking for in a car, timing is everything, a new show was coming out, a new car was being released, right place, right time. Very hard to re-create that effect, I think Glen Larson and everyone involved got very lucky.

The Trans-am was an exceptional car, its the original, but it's a product of it's time, KITT even said himself, cars age faster than humans. So I think a new car is the only way to go.

Either having Pontiac on board to develop something or go with the Mustang.

The Dodge Challenger is a fantastic machine but not suitable for KITT.

The new Camero is Bumblebee for Transformers so I dont know howd that work.

I think casting the car is going to be just as difficult in finding the new Michael Knight.
Michael Knight: "KITT is the worlds greatest automobile"

My Movie Review Blog:
Sentient Saviour's Movie Wold!. http://sentientsaviourmovies.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

roDa
Rookie

Post by roDa » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:23 pm

I would go with the Trans Am, I believe that the hidden headlights are a required futuristic trait... Unfortunately new regulations don't allow cars to have them :(
Those streets have more potholes than Devon has neckties. :lol:

james olden
FLAG Recruit

Post by james olden » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:14 pm

to bad pontiac not aorund any more they couldve did a new trans am for the motion picture
On the Quest for filling in the gaps from right after after Scent of Roses 1986- Knight Rider 2008