K.I.T.T. Dashboard/Voice Modulator Blunders

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

simon_a6
FLAG Recruit
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: K.I.T.T. Dashboard/Voice Modulator Blunders

Post by simon_a6 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:30 am

HEARTS OF STONE

Earlier we mention that you see a 'stick on dash' when MK is on the hood.
Take a look at the last scene in Hearts of Stone, the scene just before the final quick race, and 30 secs before the man and woman hug.

KITT pulls up with MK and the girl, and you can see the dash is not all there. There is a black area between the dash and the screen, clearly a gap. Very noticable.

I also saw the steering wheel with MK driving it as they pull up to the empty shed where the girl is about to steal the 250k from him.

A good one for errors.

Also - and this is for the real Pros here about the Auto Cruise 1: why early in the series when KITT was driving, did the seat look a very odd shape, not like the passenger seat. Yet further on, it looks far more convincing. Was it simply money, and speed of setting up that rather than cutting a genuine seat, they did it with something themselves??

simon_a6
FLAG Recruit

Post by simon_a6 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:16 am

Lost Knight wrote: Anyway, the Convertible Mode trailer car was always parked during the convertible transitions as I said, so therefore there would be no reason to install fully functional electronics in a car that was supposed to barely be used throughout Season 4. To be safe, I would assume the production crew stickered the dashboard just in case it happened to slip into a shot or two, which obviously happened in "Knight Of the Juggernaut." But I believe that's the only time it ever occurred. Every other time you can tell it's the trailer car not only because the roof is retracting, but because a red handle can be seen hanging from the roof (check the scene in "Out Of the Woods" as an example).

Furthermore, I believe the actual functioning Convertible Mode Car also didn't have functioning electronics AND had a Seasons 1-2 dashboard. Since it's one of the few original screen-used vehicles from the original series, I've seen shots of it from the Cars Of the Stars museum with the 2-T.V. dash where in currently resides in England.
It would be really great if there was a behind the scenes photo somewhere of the stage of the convertible transition car 'doing its thing'.

Clearly the top bit that sits behind the seats when stationary and driving is completely removed from the vehicle. And then some kind of black 'box' is moved on a hinge. But be good to see it from another angle.

I think the picture that's been posted elsewhere, or on Facebook by a member here is of that particular transition car, as it's the one without an engine at all - half a car really.

Are there pictures of this in the Knight Rider Companion?

simon_a6
FLAG Recruit

Post by simon_a6 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:19 am

James_kr wrote:Gee you think those are bad goofs! Check out this one from "Out of the Woods" in season 4!

This is such a good shot of actually a very weird error. Be nice to know what that light was for. Maybe it signals to DH that kitt was speaking via the director?

Anyway, there is a different type of voice mod error earlier in the episode.

MK has been to the depot to see 'Nash' and leaves. And then they are confronted by a bit truck.
Look at the dash and KITTS voice mod during that part. It's black and the sun is shining on it. I cannot do DVD shots on my laptop or I'd upload a pic. Sorry. It's there for about a second, but very clearly a blank dash (prob while the hero car at the time was being taken elsewhere for other filming).

Actually... I wonder if it was the same dash as the one posted here, as you don't see all the voice mod.

simon_a6
FLAG Recruit

Post by simon_a6 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:12 pm

Sometimes you watch old episodes of it and catch a real 'good' error.

I just got TWO from KOTP that have never been spotted in this thread.

After he has been "weaving all over the road" after falling asleep at the week, the cops stop him.
They chat, and then walk off. The second they walk off.... just before they go past kitt you get a shot of the back of KITT.

Two errors if you freeze frame it a split second before the last cop goes past:

1) the rear light fixture of KITT that is normally custom flat gloss black, is not flat gloss OR black. It is standard 'lines' of light.
2) you can see the production crews horizontal bright light, obviously to light up the scene.

I also saw earlier on the round steering wheel when MK and Devon go for the first drive. Perhaps this was all shot the same day that did the Bobs Gap and the other nearby road filming.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:22 pm

simon_a6 wrote:Two errors if you freeze frame it a split second before the last cop goes past:

1) the rear light fixture of KITT that is normally custom flat gloss black, is not flat gloss OR black. It is standard 'lines' of light.
The reason for this is that this was the very first scene shot in the entire series and as such, it was part of the 20-minute presentation footage filmed before the rest of the Pilot. K.I.T.T. basically was incomplete at that time and had the more blunt and basic looking front nose without the rear cover blackout. Also, you can see K.I.T.T. has a Nevada license plate.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

simon_a6
FLAG Recruit

Post by simon_a6 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:29 pm

Oh I never noticed the license plate.
And am quite proud I found the "first scene shot". Do you mind my asking how you know it was the first scene ever shot tho?
The dash looks fairly complete, although the voice mod has the same issue as the already-mentioned HOTRS scene with the white voice mod. Why was it white?? Sureif if incomplete it would be black or with red stickers.
I noticed the nose. 'Flat' in those early shots driving with Devon.

simon_a6
FLAG Recruit

Post by simon_a6 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:35 pm

Does anyone know what scenes from the Pilot were the only ones used in the 20 min pres.?

I've no idea if it can be described, but it would be really interesting to see exactly what Glen put thru to NBC that sold the show.

Clearly all the shots of KITT's voice mod talking with the "knight 2000" in it and the 'wide font" were all part of it, and the shows of the voice mod from the right side angle (u see more of the dash) were NOT part of it.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:54 pm

simon_a6 wrote:Oh I never noticed the license plate.
And am quite proud I found the "first scene shot". Do you mind my asking how you know it was the first scene ever shot tho?
It is mentioned in Knight Rider Legacy, just as the fact that the very last scene shot was when Michael debates whether or not to get a snake skin belt in "Voo Doo Knight."
simon_a6 wrote:Does anyone know what scenes from the Pilot were the only ones used in the 20 min pres.?

I've no idea if it can be described, but it would be really interesting to see exactly what Glen put thru to NBC that sold the show.

Clearly all the shots of KITT's voice mod talking with the "knight 2000" in it and the 'wide font" were all part of it, and the shows of the voice mod from the right side angle (u see more of the dash) were NOT part of it.
I think you've got it for the most part. Basically anywhere you see continuity errors is also a telltale sign of intermixed footage. Some of the errors I recall off the top of my head are: Michael's wrist watch changes from an ordinary silver watch to the comlink back and forth when he talks to Devon on a pay phone; Michaels gunshot wound switching shoulders back and forth near the end; the helicopter's gunshot damage switching sides; Devon's phone changing from black to white when he's on the jet; and all of the voice modulator/front nose scenes you mentioned.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

simon_a6
FLAG Recruit

Post by simon_a6 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:03 pm

"It is mentioned in Knight Rider Legacy, just as the fact that the very last scene shot was when Michael debates whether or not to get a snake skin belt in "Voo Doo Knight.""
Not sure which bit you mean. I recall at the start of an episodes he is looking down at something he bought, and wonders if he should go back for some boots.

Was that the last ever seen they shot for the entire series??

simon_a6
FLAG Recruit

Post by simon_a6 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:59 am

Saw a good new dash error last night.
White Line Warriors.

MK and Kitt go to meet the 'boyfriend' on the cliffs. There's the bomb, and then he chases after him. When in auto mode you see the drivers hand, but after that as they leave the cliff area, they go thru a gate and you get a view of the dash.... an old Trans Am dash similar to smokey and the bandit: several round dials.

It could have never been spotted on Video Cassette, nor on TV. But pausing it on DVD and you can easily see it.

I'm surprised also how 'lack lustre' the director was in the Slammin Sammi's programme. Apart from all the driving stuff which obviously needed the cheaper to run with the round wheel. But moreso, when the bad guy goes to meet MK and offer him a job, you get such a good closeup shot of the dash and the round 3 spoked sports steering wheel.

Even on Video could would have been able to spot it. I would guess that someone here will tell me that on the day of filming, they had the 'hero car' elsewhere. Sometimes you can forgive them for it, but I don't think this car really. Why didn't the director aim the camera slightly differently so it wasn't so obvious.

My fave is still the closing scene of most shows. But this was a baddy!

:) :kittside:

Knight Rider Archive
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight Rider Archive » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:31 pm

simon_a6 wrote:Does anyone know what scenes from the Pilot were the only ones used in the 20 min pres.?

Hi Simon_a6

I posted a breakdown of the original pilot presentation a while back. You can read it here:

viewtopic.php?f=1053&t=9631&p=116253&hi ... on#p116253" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- Paul
- http://www.knightriderarchives.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

simon_a6
FLAG Recruit

Post by simon_a6 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Hi Thanks. Great detail there. Like most serious KR fans here, I know every bit you are talking about.
I never knew the bit with Charles Napier was added at a later date tho - that whole scene was with him? Apart from the phone call scene and kitt rescuing him. That presentation scene must have been very short indeed. But I suppose for 20 mins, it had to be!

Amazing that the comedy scenes with the thieves was filmed after White Rock. That's a fascinating fact. Thanks.
So many scenes were filmed at Universal backlot. apart from the one with the Psycho House, they were all angled so well.

Do you or anyone know all the scenes or perhaps all the episodes that had scenes from that location in them?

I know of White Rock, Indecent little town. And the latter one with the blind singer, which seemed like the area was huge, but was all filmed in such a small contained area.

Knight Rider Archive
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight Rider Archive » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:54 pm

Sure, I can answer that:

Good Day At White Rock, Trust Doesn't Rust, Sky Knight, Fright Knight and A Nice, Indecent Little Town all used the Courthouse Square set on the backlot (most famously used as Hill Valley in the Back To The Future movies).

Fright Knight used a lot of other areas of the backlot tour, and the original Lon Chaney 'Phantom of the Opera' soundstage - which is said to be haunted, just like the stage in the show!

Knight Song used the New York Street set.

Not A Drop To Drink and Give Me Liberty... Or Give Me Death used the Falls Lake area of the backlot, not far from the Psycho House.

I'm not sure, but a lot of this may have been covered in the Locations thread right here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11725" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That thread is highly recommended! :)
- Paul
- http://www.knightriderarchives.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

simon_a6
FLAG Recruit

Post by simon_a6 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:02 pm

Now you've got me thinking and about to get the DVDs out as I cannot recall wheren in 'Trust', 'Sky', 'Drop' and 'Liberty' it was used? Was the actual lake seen, or just the woodland around the lake?

Thanks.

Knight Rider Archive
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight Rider Archive » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:04 pm

Trust Doesn't Rust - Courthouse Sq. is where K.A.R.R. cuts across the grass to escape Michael and K.I.T.T.

Sky Knight - Courthouse Sq. doubles for Cactus, Arizona. The cafe where Bonnie buys Nick ice cream is Sherry Coleman's store in White Rock, and the cafe from Back To The Future :)

Look closely when you get those DVDs - The Psycho House can be seen at the start and finish of the 'Give Me Liberty' race! :)
- Paul

simon_a6
FLAG Recruit

Post by simon_a6 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:09 pm

Oh my, I remember it now. All of that.
I remember it because KARR goes really badly across that lawn.
I remember the end bit with Bonnie and the kid with the glasses. That store was also used as a BANK in Gremlins, when the kid cycled there and walked in, and spotted some horrible woman coming in. That bit of set must have full interior features.
And I remember the Psycho house bit, If you look in the Locations part of this Forum You will see that I did in fact make a comment on that.

lol. Sorry to those who are strict about this thread not being locations.

simon_a6
FLAG Recruit

Post by simon_a6 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:00 pm

It's funny how you often see KITT, even the new dash (season 4) inthe semi. MK gets in and starts the engine, revs up and then reverse; yet you see no rev counter numbers changing on the dash. Or even the MPH when he moves backwards.

Surely they used the Hero car in the Semi studio set?
Or did they not have a hero car of the new dash with working diodes? Only in the previous dash??

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:55 am

simon_a6 wrote:
James_kr wrote:Gee you think those are bad goofs! Check out this one from "Out of the Woods" in season 4!

This is such a good shot of actually a very weird error. Be nice to know what that light was for. Maybe it signals to DH that kitt was speaking via the director?

Anyway, there is a different type of voice mod error earlier in the episode.

MK has been to the depot to see 'Nash' and leaves. And then they are confronted by a bit truck.
Look at the dash and KITTS voice mod during that part. It's black and the sun is shining on it. I cannot do DVD shots on my laptop or I'd upload a pic. Sorry. It's there for about a second, but very clearly a blank dash (prob while the hero car at the time was being taken elsewhere for other filming).

Actually... I wonder if it was the same dash as the one posted here, as you don't see all the voice mod.
Maybe it was one of those buttons that you press and suddenly the entire real superdashboard is revealed.Or it could be the early upgrade to the knight 3000 voice modulator.

simon_a6
FLAG Recruit

Post by simon_a6 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:16 pm

Not so much a 'blunder' question but:
Are there are photos available of the interior DH was use to seeing when driving along with the camera mounted on the hood of the car? I know it will be a 'blank', because you regularly saw the area on top of the dash (the lighting sequence?) rather than being slatted, it was flat.

Also - when KITT had the new dash, was there any car made that had a fully working dash?
There was a scene from an episode (the one where MK gets suspending (or so it seemed)), right at the start in the stakeout you saw Devon on the monitor when the camera was outside the car. It was definitely in the car.

But never saw the dashboard working fully during motion or when pulling away.

peterp&j
Operative

Post by peterp&j » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:24 pm

only the stage dash boards had fully working leds which were contolled remotely the hero dashes were by the most part static with the leds for the mph and rpm about the only leds that moved
the scene you are thinking about is from "knight in disgrace"from season3 it is the only time in the whole series that the hero dash monitor is seen working it did look really good and a shame they didnt do it more often
michael;i've got a problem.
devon;my dear boy,dont be so modest,you have a wide range of problems.

simon_a6
FLAG Recruit

Post by simon_a6 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:40 pm

It was such a good effect. For the camera to pan in and see Devon on the screen. Would love to know why they never did it again. There must be a reason. Even if they had a camera mounted inside the car and pointing at the monitor, that would have felt more reason, that the constant closeups, that were - now we look at them - clearly not the actual thing MK was looking at for many reasons.

I remember in some scenes from the series, including some mentioned here, where the MPH seemed fairly static, even tho he was reving or speeding up.

Are there any pics of that dash DH use to see while driving and doing his closeup-driving shots?

I remember reading about how apparently Jack Gill did the auto cruise, but nowadays we all know, and often spot it being done, thanks to DVD frame by frame pausing. It doesn't spoil it at all for me. It's like magic: if you find out how it's done, I still love watching it.

I was at the KnightCon in Halifax, UK last year, and some of those KITTS were unfinished. Some of which I suspect looked a little like the interior of the KITT DH use to see more often. Even down to some where there was no special dash at all.

simon_a6
FLAG Recruit

Post by simon_a6 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:57 am

Just seen a new one.
Circus Knights. There are two blunders, tho the first one is almost impossible to spot.

When KITT enters the circus in sky mode at the start, there is a split second where you see the curved dash from the inside, but so odd screws and something round. Like two old Trans Am dials. Maybe they stuff the curve over the top?

Second one is easier to spot. Penultimate scene where they are trying to stop the flame throwing. Kitt goes after bombo the clown, and you see the old dash (it's a one dash episode), the round little steering wheel, and a hand with a watch on the wrist!!

On a Video, you'd never spot it, at least I don't think you would. But thanks to frame by frame, it's simple.

trav. knight
Recruit

Post by trav. knight » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:30 am

1 I know of(no idea if it was a glitch or intention) is in a scene of The 19th hole...
when K.I.T.T''s dash was going crazy, I happened to see the picture I have posted.Image
1 man/ 1 car/ 1 diffrence....

1 man can make a diffrence,but you must decide to...

jasper
Volunteer

Post by jasper » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:53 pm

have nobody noticed that in kitt vs karr, when karr is pulled out of the sand, karr is not two-toned, and furterdown the episode he is????

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:43 pm

If you buy season 3 box set or the entire series in that uncut episode Karr asks John to change his appearence in a garage scene.NBC felt that the change didn't need to be established as an important point of the episode.