Locations ?

This forum contains discussions about the locations used for the 1982 series.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro, Joe Huth

simon_a6
FLAG Recruit
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: Locations ?

Post by simon_a6 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:43 am

Cool - can u pinpoint it on a Birds eye view Bing map please? Coz I can't find it.

I notice there was also a daylight shot - and it appears to very pale grey.

Also - what you are saying is Greystone - is that the view from a road???

Does anyone know where the outside bar is in Venice Beach where the pretty dancing girl dances, while Michael and Kitt wait around the corner for the bad guys?

The one with the guy who had the poisonous Orchids.

At the start of the episode you hear Billy Idols song.
While we are at it - the location of the house where the orchids are kept?
Last edited by Matthew on Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: To merge two posts made in quick succession.

Handzus' Stupid Fro
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Handzus' Stupid Fro » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:41 pm

simon_a6 wrote:Cool - can u pinpoint it on a Birds eye view Bing map please? Coz I can't find it.

I notice there was also a daylight shot - and it appears to very pale grey.

Also - what you are saying is Greystone - is that the view from a road???

Does anyone know where the outside bar is in Venice Beach where the pretty dancing girl dances, while Michael and Kitt wait around the corner for the bad guys?

The one with the guy who had the poisonous Orchids.

At the start of the episode you hear Billy Idols song.
While we are at it - the location of the house where the orchids are kept?
http://www.greystonemansion.org/

simon_a6
FLAG Recruit

Post by simon_a6 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:44 pm

Doesn't really pinpoint the exact spot tho - the place is huge.

noikz
Volunteer

Post by noikz » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:12 am

I love this thread, thanks for all the info. :)

simon_a6
FLAG Recruit

Post by simon_a6 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:35 pm

Sue wrote:
Acid_John_Byrock wrote::Hi everyone!!!... I don't know if you had already found this location but for any doubt, I posted anyway.
This place is the "U.S. Government Data Center" in the episode of "THE SCENT OF ROSES" and is located in Encino, CA, that's just in front of the Woodley Ave. Park (AKA "TANEKA'S COMPLEX" in "KNIGHT OF THE RISING SUN" that Joe (Huth) give us the favor to posted in the forum months ago).
Exactly, I don't know what kind of building is that, but I think it looks like a Water treatment plant or something that has to be with water affairs.
Anyway, I send you this information, I hope you enjoy!...
Saludos from Mexico!!!.
Eugenio.

Ah yes, I do recognize this place it's the Japanese Garden At Tillman Water Reclamation Facility.

Err well make that a very smelly Japanese Garden.
Knight of the Rising Sun..

I couldn't get down to the right perspective for these shots without climbing a wall. Considering there were about as many gaurds around the place as there were in the show I figured I'd pass. Plus with my luck I'd fall in, then I really would have the scent of roses. :mrgreen:

This location is also near the Sepulveda Dam, I'll have to go back.
Google Map

On my way out I saw this.. it felt familiar so I took a picture.
This shot appears right before the elusive House of The Rising Sun, looking at them now though I don't think it's a match.
Anyone found Tanika's mansion - the gates where RC and MK go through separately? Seems to be on the corner of a road somewhere with a unique entrance.

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative

Post by Joe Huth » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:23 pm

It was found earlier in this thread..3431 Waverly Drive in Los Angeles

Joe
Knight Rider Historian - visit my website: http://www.KnightRiderHistorians.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Co-author of Knight Rider Legacy

simon_a6
FLAG Recruit

Post by simon_a6 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:06 pm

It can't be that place. KITT turns into Surry St and they 'right' into a gated drive.

The entrance the that place as no right on the right of the gate.

Rookie

Post by 1982 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:07 pm

Joe Huth wrote:For us slower people (me)...can you point an arrow to the Comtron building? I'm just not seeing it...

Joe
COMTRON ENTRANCE.jpg
COMTRON ENTRANCE.jpg (108.29 KiB) Viewed 40619 times
If you look at the inset of of the second picture above, the "green pointer" is directed at 3 buildings at the lower left. The Comtron building (#2) seen in the background of both of the above pictures, is the rear of the long center building.

The picture below is a "birdseye view" of the entrance (lower left on Ave Crocker) and the rear of the 3 buildings (upper right on Stanford). Comtron building #1 (with angled window) is at an altogether different location.
Attachments
COMTRON SITE.jpg
COMTRON SITE.jpg (235.73 KiB) Viewed 40619 times

Rookie

Post by 1982 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:14 pm

Handzus' Stupid Fro wrote: ......Didn't you say you knew where the Rising Sun was?

Well, this pretty much confirms another location in Santa Clarita for KOTP. Based on all of this, it WOULD make sense that the Rising Sun was in Santa Clarita somewhere. All of the locals I've talked to via various forums say they have NEVER seen a place like the Rising Sun though - and that's a pretty distinctive place for them not to recall it.

Like the "Comtron" building, scenes of the House of the Rising Sun were shot at different locations. The picture you posted somewhere in this thread with the blue Firebird was in fact shot in Cal Islands parking lot. If you can repost it, I will try to get a street level picture for you to compare.

For what Cal Islands really looked like, since there doesn't seem to be any pictures anywhere, one could most likely get a definate answer from Kent Burton in Hermosa Beach. He was the agent for the owner and still has a law firm in Hermosa Beach.

For the locations of both Comtron #1 and House of the Rising Sun, I would like to see someone ask about them at a certain event in Las Vegas this week. Especially with Rising Sun, one just might get a good story to go along with the answer. Since the list of guests that may remember is pretty scimpy, the best bet may be Tom Greene. Larson states he doesn't even remember the scene showing Comtron #1.

one_man
Operative

Post by one_man » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:32 pm

simon_a6 wrote: ...
The location of the bar was posted somewhere back in this thread. It's known as The Sidewalk Cafe
at 1401 Ocean Front Walk, Venice, CA 90291 (cross street Horizon Ave).

http://www.thesidewalkcafe.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's address can be seen in the 'Arnold' scene:
-- I am one man who does not exist.

one_man
Operative

Post by one_man » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:38 pm

1982 wrote:
Joe Huth wrote:For us slower people (me)...can you point an arrow to the Comtron building? I'm just not seeing it...

Joe
COMTRON ENTRANCE.jpg
If you look at the inset of of the second picture above, the "green pointer" is directed at 3 buildings at the lower left. The Comtron building (#2) seen in the background of both of the above pictures, is the rear of the long center building.

The picture below is a "birdseye view" of the entrance (lower left on Ave Crocker) and the rear of the 3 buildings (upper right on Stanford). Comtron building #1 (with angled window) is at an altogether different location.
The background of original Comtron entrance seems to show a body of water (a lake or bay),
which is not seen near Ave Crocker on Google maps.

Handzus' Stupid Fro
Operative

Post by Handzus' Stupid Fro » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:45 pm

one_man wrote:
1982 wrote:

Joe
COMTRON ENTRANCE.jpg

The background of original Comtron entrance seems to show a body of water (a lake or bay),
which is not seen near Ave Crocker on Google maps.
I've heard the lake/bay thing before, but I don't think it's a body of water. I think it's simply the top of the building in the background. There's also a dark stripe running the length of the building horizontally. Maybe we could line up the mountains with the above pics and Google Earth?

Handzus' Stupid Fro
Operative

Post by Handzus' Stupid Fro » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:30 pm

Here's the streetview from Google. Obviously the perspective is different, but looks a lot like water back there doesn't it?

simon_a6
FLAG Recruit

Post by simon_a6 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:04 am

Am I missing something here?
This thread about Comtron talks about a building with a stripe, but I just see a streetview image of a gate, and the screen capture of the girls walking from what someone reckons is the gate.

What building?
Whats green pointer?

Where exactly is this Comtron building?

When they filmed that bit leaving the gate, it must have been filmed in that particular spot for a reason - as that could have been filmed anywhere! It's not a special location (unlike HOTRS).

Handzus' Stupid Fro
Operative

Post by Handzus' Stupid Fro » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:29 pm

simon_a6 wrote:Am I missing something here?
This thread about Comtron talks about a building with a stripe, but I just see a streetview image of a gate, and the screen capture of the girls walking from what someone reckons is the gate.

What building?
Whats green pointer?

Where exactly is this Comtron building?

When they filmed that bit leaving the gate, it must have been filmed in that particular spot for a reason - as that could have been filmed anywhere! It's not a special location (unlike HOTRS).
Yeah this one is a little tricky. Focus less on the gate itself, and more on the curb and what's actually behind the gate. That is, look at the mountains, and what I think is the top of a building in the distance with a stripe on it. The building seen in the images above is supposed to represent a building within the Comtron complex, not the cube-looking Comtron building sitting atop a small hill that you're probably thinking of.

It should also be noted that the above image is just one entrance to the location 1982 pointed out, there is another one right down the street, and using Google streetview it too looks like it could have been used.

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative

Post by Joe Huth » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:09 am

OK, so just to be clear, we still have not found the "main" Comtron building...the one seen when KITT is being towed...square with the angled glass?

Joe
Knight Rider Historian - visit my website: http://www.KnightRiderHistorians.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Handzus' Stupid Fro
Operative

Post by Handzus' Stupid Fro » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:18 pm

Joe Huth wrote:OK, so just to be clear, we still have not found the "main" Comtron building...the one seen when KITT is being towed...square with the angled glass?

Joe
Exactly.

The one you speak of is still out there (hopefully) somewhere.

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative

Post by Joe Huth » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:29 pm

Here's another one...the hotel Joanna St. John stayed at in "Mouth of the Snake":

Fairmont Miramar Hotel
116 Wilshire Blvd
Santa Monica, CA

Across the street from that is where Michael and David were walking and talking:

And here's another filming location, sort of. The location of a still, behind the scenes image. Thanks to Sue's interview with Barris, we learn that this location is across the street from Barris Kustoms:

Joe

one_man
Operative

Post by one_man » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:08 pm

It's good to see this thread is active again.
Here is a location I have been searching for a while.

Season 1, Knight Moves
scene: The semi drove thru an underpass

Season 2, Blind Spot
scene: KITT drove thru the same underpass (different from the one the Porsche drove thru)

approximate address:
1050 S San Dimas Ave, San Dimas, CA (underneath route 57)

get on the highway above, and you can see the exact mountains and buildings in the background

here is a street view, only on one side of the road, though.

simon_a6
FLAG Recruit

Post by simon_a6 » Wed May 05, 2010 3:44 pm

Has anyone ever found the locations for SHORT NOTICE?

It's the episode with the lady hitchhiker, her daughter who is kidnapped. And the really BIG guy called Tony who is "good with kids".

Where was the mansion?
What was the motel they stayed in?
I think the house where the lady's father lived is on here somewhere.

kitt1
FLAG Recruit

Post by kitt1 » Fri May 07, 2010 8:53 pm

I still want to know where the single lane bridge is from NO BIG THING.

Mark Puette
SOUTHERN KNIGHTS

simon_a6
FLAG Recruit

Post by simon_a6 » Fri May 14, 2010 1:30 pm

David wrote:

Joe
As far as I understand it, there is no Comtron "building" as such in the shot 1982 is referencing - in the Pilot universe, Comtron was supposed to be located across the street from The House of The Rising Sun. We see Lonnie and her minions making this short trip as Michael and KITT pull into THOTRS's parking lot:

Am I right? Hard to tell from those two shots if it's a perfect match...
I'm sorry but that photo is so different from the one in the show. There is no curve in your photo, and obviously the gates are missing. I know a lot changes over the years, but if that's all you base your findings on, I think it's the wrong place.

simon_a6
FLAG Recruit

Post by simon_a6 » Fri May 14, 2010 4:00 pm

CHARIOTS OF GOLD
Scene after Michael discovers the pot, that is only a few months old, you see a night scene and shot of a white large house. That house is the same as in the shot in KNIGHT IN SHINING ARMOUR when they cut back to Stone's (the guardian of the girl) house. "would have been justifiable homicide".

But where is that house?

simon_a6
FLAG Recruit

Post by simon_a6 » Wed May 19, 2010 2:38 pm

Does anyone know what park or location the 'training camp' scene from Redemption of a Champion was filmed in?

Also, watch later in the episode when KITT reverses up the damn wall to smoke screen MK, his nose drags along the ground and leaves a mark. Poor nose!!

simon_a6
FLAG Recruit

Post by simon_a6 » Wed May 19, 2010 3:06 pm

Also, what is that stadium seen at the end? Looks impressive and probably well known.