"Knight Rider: The Ride" set to open in Japan 2011!

Archive for discussions from 2010. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

neps
Site Administrator
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

"Knight Rider: The Ride" set to open in Japan 2011!

Post by neps » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:00 pm

Hey Everyone,

Be sure to check out the news area for an amazing new announcement that we have the exclusive on! Did you guys want to plan a get together around the opening once the date gets more set?

http://knightrideronline.com/news/2010/ ... n_2011.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Roller Coaster: Knight Rider: The Ride
Amusement Park: Universal Studios: Japan (Nomed, Japan)
Title: Universal Studios: Japan to Add Exciting New Coaster
Subtitle: KNIGHT RIDER: THE RIDE to Debut in 2011
Date: 4/1.10 

Press Release: Universal Foreign Entertainment announced today the addition in 2011 of a tubular steel coaster to enter the roller coaster era at its international theme park located in Japan. Developed by the same team that produced the new X2 experience, KNIGHT RIDER: THE RIDE will combine innovative thrill ride technology with the signature thrill of the Knight Rider brand. The debut is scheduled to coincide with the release of BATTLESTAR GALACTICA next year, and will introduce fans to the exciting universe inspired by the television series’ innovative concepts featuring the Knight 2000, a nearly invulnerable Pontiac Trans Am with a technically advanced propulsion and navigation system.

"Our mission at Universal Studios: Japan is to provide entertainment that appeals to a wide range of tastes and this specially designed tubular coaster will be a proven winner among guests of all ages," said Janis Gilmer, Universal Foreign Entertainment President. "Designed around the theme of the original Knight Rider television brand, this ride will draw thrill seekers from around the world. Japanese customers have long since been fascinated with the world of “The Knight Rider” and we are honored to add this thrilling new attraction to our list of attractions."

John Martinez and Jackson Chase, co-CEO's of Universal Foreign Entertainment, credit Universal Studios: Japan with taking the ride to the next level in adventure. "The combination of the impressive special effects of the nostalgic television series and the innovative design of the track will provide fans the ability to “turbo boost” to thrilling new heights of adventure while avoiding the dangers of the ride’s unique concept," said Martinez and Chase jointly.

The $15 million coaster was engineered exclusively for Universal Japan theme park by We Build Coasters International Inc. (WBCII), KNIGHT RIDER: THE RIDE will feature a themed loading station "briefing" with series star David Hasselhoff who reprises his role as Michael Knight. KNIGHT RIDER: THE RIDE also features a state-of-the-art sight and sound package, and unique queue line and on-board entertainment elements derived from the design of the original props and sets. One of these elements will be the voice of K.I.T.T. which will interact with riders working for F.L.A.G. (The Foundation for Law and Government) as they pursue Garthe Knight and the menacing Goliath with evading unexpected surprises.

The GCII-designed “K.I.T.T. Coaster 2000” trains which feature an illuminated osculating scanner light like the television car, will zip through five belly-flopping hills and six high speed banked turns, and several exciting corkscrews in over 2,850 feet of track to create a ride that delivers the acrobatic thrills expected of modern coasters which will climax with a 100 foot ascending 80 degree lift which will give riders the experience of “turbo boost” while evading rocket fire from the evil Goliath. State of the art pyrotechnics and a full scale model of Goliath from the television series has been specially built to preserve the authenticity of the series and deliver thrills found no where else in the world. A mock up of the evil prototype “K.A.R.R.” will also be on display as part of the ride’s unique “Knight Archives Warehouse” theming.

The Knight Rider franchise is a highly-successful series of family entertainment centered around a man who does not exist and his technically advanced car. Since the debut of the pilot in 1982, starring David Hasselhoff and written by series creator Glen A. Larson, the various Knight Rider properties including the recent NBCU venture KNIGHT RIDER: THE SERIES have grossed over one billion dollars worldwide.

With established success in the USA, Universal Foreign Entertainment recently decided to bring the popularity of the brand to Japan with the resurgence of Knight Rider merchandise released and licensed by Aoshima Inc.

KNIGHT RIDER: THE RIDE will be located in the northwest corner of the park, next to Waterworld and is slated for a spring 2011 opening. With the addition of KNIGHT RIDER: THE RIDE, Universal Studios: Japan will be home to its first thrilling roller coaster joining the likes of Universal Studios: Hollywood and Universal Studios: Orlando which both feature their own brand of coaster thrills.

ABOUT UNIVERSAL STUDIOS: JAPAN
Universal Studios: Japan. is one of Universal’s three known theme parks across the world. Universal Studios: Japan has provided world class entertainment for millions of families with cutting-edge, record-shattering roller coasters and appointment programming and special events such as the weekly Summer Concert Series, Fright Fest and Holiday in the Park. Universal Studios: Japan is fast becoming recognized as the preeminent thrill innovator while reaching to all demographics — families, teens, tweens and thrill seekers alike — with themed attractions based on the Universal properties, it features thrills found no where else such as SPACE FANTASY: THE RIDE, HOLLYWOOD DREAM: THE RIDE, and MAGICAL STARLIGHT PARADE.

Alex
FLAG Assistant

Re: "Knight Rider: The Ride" set to open in Japan 2011!

Post by Alex » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:21 pm

I think that it is good, because I like walking Roller Coaster and Japan is very distant, but the best is the United States.

Knight Rider: The Ride is good.

Alex

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:01 pm

I don't care how good KR is, I'm not getting on any rollercoaster, including that thing. :lol:
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by KITT » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:13 pm

i love roller coasters. but i hate going upside down. this would be scary!
Lady: "I bet you're tall, dark, and handsome."
KITT: "I'm definitely dark and handsome, I'm only tall when I'm climbing a steep incline."
http://www.dhasselhoff.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Victor Kros » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:15 pm

I wouldn't get on it either - I mean I love K.I.T.T. and all but roller coasters are not my thing. I do love to look at them and check out staging though. This one time I wandered into the Superman: The Escape line just to check out the interior of the Fortress of Solitude at Six Flags, CA and they tried to force me on the coaster because they said it was a "one way" line and I'm like yeah - I'll just keep going ONE WAY across the car to the exit, thank you very much!

Dodged a speeding bullet on that one.

=VK=
:dash:

iKITT
Recruit

Post by iKITT » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:53 pm

April Fool's joke or real deal, this is awesome either way. I do believe it would be the only coaster I'd even consider riding. If this is for real, it's given me another reason to go to Universal Japan. The other being the Back to the Future ride of course.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:18 pm

Victor Kros wrote:I wouldn't get on it either - I mean I love K.I.T.T. and all but roller coasters are not my thing. I do love to look at them and check out staging though. This one time I wandered into the Superman: The Escape line just to check out the interior of the Fortress of Solitude at Six Flags, CA and they tried to force me on the coaster because they said it was a "one way" line and I'm like yeah - I'll just keep going ONE WAY across the car to the exit, thank you very much!

Dodged a speeding bullet on that one.

=VK=
lol funny story, Nick. The thing is, if we all end up in Japan, we will all want to look at the interior of this KR coaster, too.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:47 pm

The Hoff will be anointing the ride with champagne for its maiden voyage on 04/01/2011. For those of you who can handle rollercoasters and their extreme g-forces, be sure to book your tickets to Japan soon as this will be a sold out event and a first in the history of Knight Rider.

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:40 am

APRIL FOOLS EVERYONE!

Yeah so some of you may not have been fooled as easily on here as others but in the spirit of good fun today I thought I would have a little fun of my own! It is well known on the original series of Knight Rider, David Hasselhoff and Jack Gill loved to play pranks on one another. I wanted to introduce a little harmless humor for once instead of keeping things serious all the time!

I stayed up most of the night coming up with this plan to create a ruse people could possibly believe in by picking a theme park location that no one could actually go to - there is no "Nomed, Japan". I chose Universal because of obvious licensing rights.

There is no such thing as "Universal Foreign Entertainment". Janis Gilmer doesn't exist, that's actually a combination of Janis Hendler and Robert Gilmer, writers from the original series (Season Two as a nod to Tom Greene). John Martinez and Jackson Chase is a play on Ron Martinez and Jack Gill.

The roller coaster in the photo is actually called "Kumba" located in Busch Gardens, FL that I altered in Photoshop. Funny, only a few of you actually figured that one out but none of you explained how you knew it for a fact. Color shifting the track and poles was a lot of work! Then there was turning the car into a representation of the Knight 2000 and making it look real enough people would buy into it.

I also created a simplistic, yet exciting coaster logo in the style of other simple coaster logos out there for that added sense of professional realism.

Here's the actual photo comparison

The press release was altered from an actual release written by Six Flags, Valencia for TERMINATOR SALVATION: THE RIDE.

I hope you all had fun and a big thanks to Neil for helping make this effort just a bit more believable by making it a story on Knight Rider Online!

=VK=

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:48 am

I showed my friend this as he is big into rollercoasters and he suggested that it was an Aprils Fools joke but I wasn't buying that because you guys went as far as putting it all over KRO's front page, too.

Low. :D

Alex
FLAG Assistant

Post by Alex » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:46 am

I just wanted to ask a question...why could not Knight Rider: The Ride in the United States of America? Because Japan is very far...I love Roller Coasters!

Very good.

Alex

Slade
FLAG Assistant

Post by Slade » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:15 pm

Ah april fools,funny :lol:
"See ladies,what happens in Vegas,stays in...KITT"
"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing"

iKITT
Recruit

Post by iKITT » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:19 pm

I would have fallen for this, but the coaster seemed too familiar like a ride from Six Flags. Kinda like Superman or Poltergeist in terms of loops. But alas, it was at Busch Gardens in Florida! I must commend you for such excellent Photoshopping skills! Shame it isn't real. I was actually doubtful because last year, another forum I visit completely shut down and stated that it was shut down due to copyright issues. I fully believed it and it was a joke so needless to say I don't fall for much these days. :lol:

james olden
FLAG Recruit

Post by james olden » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:07 pm

damn thats sad lol but i think it'll actually happen at universal studious after the knight rider motion picture.
On the Quest for filling in the gaps from right after after Scent of Roses 1986- Knight Rider 2008

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:46 pm

That's a damn good Photoshop! I guess I have to say that I was fooled although in all fairness to myself I didn't really read too deeply into once I saw that it was in Japan. But I was wondering how they could have a photo of the ride with people on it when it wasn't even constructed yet, lol. Japan was a great choice for an April Fools because they do seem to be the only manufacturers making any Knight Rider models anymore...
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

My_Friend_KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by My_Friend_KITT » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:28 pm

Hehehehehehehehehe...
That was a grand ruse...
And like many others, I would have been all over that if it hadn't have been a roller coaster...

A stunt car virtual ride like the Back top the Future Ride at Universal studios...DUDE! I would have been the first one in line! :D

I love it though.
You guys did really really well!

COOOOOL!
That is a computer not a sofa.......Knight of the Drones

A firsthand viewer of Knight Rider '08!
And I LOVED it!

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:43 pm

Lost Knight wrote:That's a damn good Photoshop! I guess I have to say that I was fooled although in all fairness to myself I didn't really read too deeply into once I saw that it was in Japan. But I was wondering how they could have a photo of the ride with people on it when it wasn't even constructed yet, lol. Japan was a great choice for an April Fools because they do seem to be the only manufacturers making any Knight Rider models anymore...
Thank you, thank you very much. I chose Universal Japan because no one could actually go there to disprove the claim and it was a real Universal theme park. As for showing an image of a ride that wasn't built yet, that's why we called it "concept art". I was going to go with Six Flags, but there is no way they'd have the rights to Knight Rider so people wouldn't believe that. Also I used the Aoshima (which builds those cool KITT models) connection in the press release to really lay it on well ;)

No one seemed to complain about there being palm trees in Japan either hehe. I had people saying it wasn't real and using the photoshop claim but none of them could tell me how they knew "for sure" the photo wasn't real or altered with photoshop so I guess that's a testament to my digital magic and attention to detail.

=VK=

DarylKnight
Rookie

Post by DarylKnight » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:51 am

Man VK, even for just an April Fools gag, yet again, you come up with an awesome title label. I love the "Knight Rider: The Ride" lettering. Absolutely fantastic. I was definitely fooled. Well played!