Lunch with Steve Whiteside

Archive for discussions from 2010. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Lunch with Steve Whiteside

Post by Sue » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:22 pm

I'm sorry that I have not been my usual prompt self in getting my videos up. I have been swamped with real work. But here finally is part one for you of a very informal get together with Mike P, AJ P and Steve Whiteside. If anyone is a collector of crew jackets this video will be of especial interest. Enjoy!
http://knightrideronline.com/videos/3549.php
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: Lunch with Steve Whiteside

Post by Victor Kros » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:51 am

Great video. I enjoyed your clip with Steve explaining the different crew jackets as there have been many that pop up on ebay from time to time.

I would like to personally thank and recognize AJ Palmgrem for his endless contributions to keeping the spirit of Knight Rider alive. Without people like him archiving treasures from the past, books like Knight Rider Legacy and The Knight Rider Companion would not exist today.

He is one man who makes a difference and absolutely deserving of the title Knight Rider Archivist.

I look forward to seeing the rest of your videos as they become availible.

Good job.

=VK=
:dash:

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:37 am

When Michael Pajaro was holding then trying on the jacket,Steve Whiteside was saying something about Robert Foster would have made some change to the the show after season 1 episode 13 hearts of stone.What change was he talking about?

Alex
FLAG Assistant

Post by Alex » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:22 pm

Very good work, Sue.

I had not seen this video and now I already saw and liked seeing your video about Steve and AJ Palmgrem.

You are the best.

:wink:
Alex

David
Rookie

Post by David » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:06 pm

Knight Racer wrote:When Michael Pajaro was holding then trying on the jacket,Steve Whiteside was saying something about Robert Foster would have made some change to the the show after season 1 episode 13 hearts of stone.What change was he talking about?
He says that the first thing Robert Foster did when he came onto the show was to paint the FLAG semi trailer black, which we see for the first time in Hearts of Stone. That's why the next crew jackets they made had the chess piece design from the side of the revamped trailer.

I guess we can deduce that Foster made the call to switch KITT's vox display from the solid red light to the KARR derived graphic equalizer bars, also seen for the first time in Hearts of Stone.

Ragballs - I remember reading an interview with DH in he 1980s where he was enthusing about how great they were for kids (less dangerous than a real baseball) and how he would give them away to sick children when he went to visit them in hospital on charity related visits. Never actually saw one until yr video!

sgtyoung
Volunteer

Post by sgtyoung » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:35 pm

Hello All,

My name is Nathan Goughnour from near Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States of America and I am working to contact Steve Whiteside, Jack Gill or most importantly - David Hasselhoff. I am part of the ONLY child safety program in the entire world that was and still is originally supported by David. Steve was the point man in bringing David and my friend together on location during filming of the Season 4 episode "Hills of Fire". My friend is Sgt. Glenn Young of the Sgt. Glenn Young Child Safety Program based in New Brighton, Beaver County, Pennsylvania, United States of America.

The program features a miniature go-kart sized KITT replica named K.I.D., which stands for Kids In Danger. The name was actually created on set in California. K.I.D. is remote operated, rides on two wheels, talks, has a scanner, laser, fire extinguisher, ejection mode, shoots an "anti-stranger" spray (water jet) and was hand built using a frame of 1 inch water pipe, electric motors from cars and features a custom double thick fiberglass body. K.I.D. is used to educate and entertain children about dangers they face everyday, such as strangers, pedophiles, fire safety, use of 9-1-1 emergency, identification of true police officers, internet safety and much, much more.

Also featured in this program is a full size 1984 Trans-Am K.I.T.T. replica which features custom work originally done by Rob Louisell using actual Knight Rider plans for the dash and other items from the Sgt. Some of what Rob originally offered for KITT conversions came from Sgt. Young. The Sgt. still has some original items from the Knight Rider set. Unfortunately, their relationship soured years ago, though I hope to eventually seek a truce with Mr. Louisell myself. And finally, the program features a 16 foot truck that originally served as a delivery vehicle for the Keebler Cookie Company. After its donation to the program, it was completely customized to become the mobile command vehicle for K.I.D.

Sgt. Glenn Young filmed a Public Service Announcement (PSA) with David on set in 1985 and I recently placed this clip on YouTube. I provided the link below. Steve coordinated Glenn's flight out to California for a week and it is for this reason I would like to reconnect Steve Whiteside, David Hasselhoff, Jack Gill and Sgt. Young. If any member of this site can assist me in this quest, I would be most appreciative. I have sought guidance from Stu Phillips, the only Knight Rider contact I have been able to make thus far, but have not yet made contact with Steve, Jack or David. E-mails sent to the gentleman in charge of the Las Vegas based Knight Rider Convention were never returned.

I'd like to thank everyone for their time and help. Please view and enjoy the following video clips, one filmed directly on the Knight Rider set in 1985! Pictures of the program are available as well. I hope to eventually post some of those here soon.

Sincerely,
Nathan D. Goughnour (assistant)
Sgt. Glenn Young Child Safety Program
http://www.sgtyoungandkidcar.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sgt. Young & David Hasselhoff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSj5XfN_-nI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sgt. Young & Rob Pratte: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65nvbGm5rlM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sgt. Young PSA: http://www.sgtyoungandkidcar.org/Videos ... allery.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:59 pm

Hey Nathan!

What a terrific story, and thanks so much for sharing it. It's great to see that this program is still going strong after all these years and really making a difference.

I've got contact with Steve, will make sure he knows you are looking for him!

sgtyoung
Volunteer

Post by sgtyoung » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:55 am

Sent Steve a message - looking forward to a response. Seems like he remembers the Sarge neps. Thanks for your help. Will keep you updated. I hope that I am learning to use this site correctly. I have attempted to attach a picture of Sgt. Young and David Hasselhoff taken on location in 1985 during principal photography of the Season 4 Hills of Fire episode. If it works, I'll start posting more pics.

sgtyoung
Volunteer

Post by sgtyoung » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:56 am

It works, but I gotta figure out how to resize it now - some of David was cropped out.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:09 am

Nice video, Sue!

I have seen these crew jackets on Ebay pop up every now and again, I can't recall the prices they go for, but I'm interested in owning one of these.

Will keep my eyes peeled!
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative

Post by Joe Huth » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:15 pm

Hey Nathan,

I had the pleasure of corresponding with Sgt. Young a few year's back via email. I live in Butler, about 45 min from you. When I finish my replica, hopefully later this year, I had planned on emailing him again in the hopes to meet up. The K.I.D. program is fantastic and I'm so glad that, 25 years later, it's still going strong.

Out of curiosity - you mention that Sgt. Young has some original items from the Knight Rider set. What items in particular?

Thanks,
Joe
Knight Rider Historian - visit my website: http://www.KnightRiderHistorians.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Co-author of Knight Rider Legacy