Knight Rider Sound Effects

Archive for discussions from 2010. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

TurboBoostMan
Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Knight Rider Sound Effects

Post by TurboBoostMan » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:18 pm

I'm doing a Knight Rider project, and I was wondering if anybody had any sound effects from the original Knight Rider, and the New one too( such as the turbo boost, buttons beeping, turbine, tires screeching,). Things like that. Please help me out.
"One Man Can Make A Difference" - Wilton Knight

JesseHawks
Volunteer

Re: Knight Rider Sound Effects

Post by JesseHawks » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:39 am

Unless those sounds are commercially available, I don't know how you'd get a hold of them, as they are property of Universal (I assume). But since the subject heading is 'Knight Rider Sound Effects', I'll post something more in depth here.

I find it interesting that every once in a while I swear I hear that same 'peel out on asphalt' or the 'turbine whine' of KITT's engine or various other ones in other shows from that era. I guess this shouldn't be a surprise considering they are, after all, sound effects that are edited in later.

Does anyone remember any from a different show? I am going to guess I've heard the 'peel out' many times on Rockford Files, which I've been watching on DVD over the past year or so. It, too, is a Universal production, so that makes sense. I think I might have heard the Turbo Boost or the turbine engine noise on Roger Corman's film Battle Beyond the Stars, which I screened recently.

Who knows though ... I'm just going by memory here. :)

2knight
Rookie

Post by 2knight » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:37 am

I found some sound effects here recently: http://soundamerica.com/sounds/tvshows/Knight_Rider/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Beyond that there are frequently people on Ebay selling Knight Rider sound effects CD's so if you go to http://www.ebay.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and do a search for "knight rider sound" you're likely to find something. I seriously doubt these are licensed by Universal, and are probably where someone captured sound clips from Knight Rider episodes to a wav or mp3 file on their computer-- still it beats going through all the episodes and capturing these yourself.

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:06 am

JesseHawks wrote:Unless those sounds are commercially available, I don't know how you'd get a hold of them, as they are property of Universal (I assume). But since the subject heading is 'Knight Rider Sound Effects', I'll post something more in depth here.

I find it interesting that every once in a while I swear I hear that same 'peel out on asphalt' or the 'turbine whine' of KITT's engine or various other ones in other shows from that era. I guess this shouldn't be a surprise considering they are, after all, sound effects that are edited in later.

Does anyone remember any from a different show? I am going to guess I've heard the 'peel out' many times on Rockford Files, which I've been watching on DVD over the past year or so. It, too, is a Universal production, so that makes sense. I think I might have heard the Turbo Boost or the turbine engine noise on Roger Corman's film Battle Beyond the Stars, which I screened recently.

Who knows though ... I'm just going by memory here. :)
Many sound effects from Knight Rider were used in the series Airwolf and in a movie starring Tommy Lee Jones and Nicholas Cage called Fire Birds (1990) which featured apache helicoptors using K.I.T.T.'s turbine engine sound effects and turbo boosts.

Here's some sound effects used from Knight Rider in Airwolf. Notice the "laser" effects match K.I.T.T.'s laser sound effects used in the series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL03OllYwio&NR=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Listen to K.I.T.T.'s turbine/passby and turbo boost effects used in Fire Birds here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyuULnLsc4w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Universal used their stock sound library in so many projects even as far back as Battlestar Galactica. The most recognized sound effect that can be found in pretty much any televison series (A-Team, Magnum P.I. are a good ones) and movies of the era featuring exploding vehicles or bombs are the stock explosions you hear in Knight of the Phoenix, Deadly Manuevers, and other shows like Buck Rogers.

Here's an example of the classic explosion sound 1:45 seconds in to this clip from Buck Rogers. You will notice it's the same stock explosion sound effect in the space battle over and over again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoF0a32DhLw&NR=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now here it is from Season One of Knight Rider, Deadly Manuevers - 18 seconds in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO9Mpq8hGtA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also tumbling rocks whenever there is a landslide or a vehicle is buried like in Superman/Superman II which Knight Rider also borrowed footage from in the Season One's episode, Not a Drop to Drink.

Here's some of it from Season Three's Big Iron

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03Q858qy ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this has been helpful.

You can also lift some sounds from the Knight Rider Davilex PC/PS2 games as well. Your best bet though is to search around ebay for some good top quality Knight Rider sound effects. Rafael on the Knight Registries does an amazing job with his collection. I actually paid like 15.00 awhile back to some guy's website to gather sounds for my personal collection. Either way if you want something good, it will not come cheap. You will either pay in cash or the time it takes to extract them from the series itself.

Good luck!

=VK=
:dash:

David Whiteheart
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by David Whiteheart » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:18 pm

The last time I went to soundamerica it was full of ads and the pop up blocker about broke. So if you do decide to go that route I suggest you use Netscape or Mozilla Firefox and turn the java scripting off to help prevent the ads and pop up ads.

JesseHawks
Volunteer

Post by JesseHawks » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:07 pm

Many thanks fortaking the time to show some examples, VC. That's exactly what I am talking about ... always hearing those same stock sounds in other shows from the era. I'm new to this forum, so it's great to read the insights of other fans who have so much information on the subject!

Unrelated, my copy of the Knight Rider Companion arrived in the mail today. I am unwrapping it as I type this and I can't wait to start reading!

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:39 am

JesseHawks wrote:Many thanks fortaking the time to show some examples, VK. That's exactly what I am talking about ... always hearing those same stock sounds in other shows from the era. I'm new to this forum, so it's great to read the insights of other fans who have so much information on the subject!

Unrelated, my copy of the Knight Rider Companion arrived in the mail today. I am unwrapping it as I type this and I can't wait to start reading!
- No problem and thanks for the support. Enjoy the book!

=VK=
:dash:

ivirscar
Recruit

Post by ivirscar » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:59 am

TurboBoostMan wrote:I'm doing a Knight Rider project, and I was wondering if anybody had any sound effects from the original Knight Rider, and the New one too( such as the turbo boost, buttons beeping, turbine, tires screeching,). Things like that. Please help me out.
Here is Rafael Ramirez's Knight Rider Kitt Phrases Sound FX DVD Collection. Scroll down 3/4 of the page...

http://www.knight-f2k4.com/accessories.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or you may contact him directly:

Rafael Ramirez
Email: LuvofJah@juno.com

Brenon
Lectric Enterprises - Anticipating another great year in 2010! http://www.knight-f2k4.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:17 am

I think I heard the tire screeching sound in original Bionic Woman few times.