knight rider movie

Archive for discussions from 2010. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

donaldellis
Volunteer
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

knight rider movie

Post by donaldellis » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:41 pm

Will we ever see a knight rider movie or is knight rider 2008 the nearest we will ever see kitt on the screen?

Super Flash
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: knight rider movie

Post by Super Flash » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:36 am

:D Hello There Everyone,

:kitt: Yes, I do believe that Knight Rider will be back in some form soon. I am not sure what form either movie or tv series but, you can bet your bottom dollar that Knight Rider is not dead and is alive and well. I miss the show and I hope they bring back Knight Rider 2008 soon. I am curious as to those five scripts episodes 18-22 that were written but, not filmed due to NBC giving up and cancelling the show way too soon would have been about? Remember NBC at one point renewed the show for a full season 22 episodes so, I am sure that episodes 18 to 22 were written and never got to be filmed since NBC backed tracked and ended the show before the those episodes could filmed with only 17 episodes made and aired. I with that in mind I am surprised that those remaining episodes could not be filmed and released them as unaired episodes with the DVD release of the show. Certainly NBC and Universal could have made their money in the sale of the DVD. Heck, you have some movies being released on DVD instead of the theaters and I have a DVD I am not sure what show it is that promotes Law and Order and having one unaired episode for the DVD so why can't that happen to Knight Rider? Anyway, I digress and do believe that Knight Rider will be back at some point and we will all be happy... :kittconv:

Well, good night and morning and take care,
Michael P. Nepa :kittside:
Knight Rider Lives!!!

rwmu
Operative

Post by rwmu » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:37 am

I think how well the A-Team movie does could have a big influence on what happens with Knight Rider going forward.

Of course with a big screen movie stuck in developement hell and now delayed till 2012 its easy to get down hearted. Maybe if the production crews got a move on and did something it would help pre-production concept drawns, casting hopes etc released as some kind of internet campaign would help the average fan belive in the project.

We all keep our fingers crossed but it would be nice to be thrown a treat now and then.
Είναι καλύτερο να θεωρηθεί ως ανόητος, από να ανοιχτεί το στόμα σας και να αφαιρεθεί όλη η αμφιβολία.

donaldellis
Volunteer

Post by donaldellis » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:03 pm

I hope to see a knight rider movie some day.I think one of the reasons that knight rider had not gone past a first season is people are comparing the two series and that is like comparing the first star trek series to the next generation.Do any one think that knight rider 2008 seem just a little too much james bond and not like the first series?

WIBoomer1
FLAG Recruit

Post by WIBoomer1 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:04 pm

Super Flash brings up some good points:

Super Flash wrote:I am curious as to those five scripts episodes 18-22 that were written but, not filmed due to NBC giving up and cancelling the show way too soon would have been about? Remember NBC at one point renewed the show for a full season 22 episodes so, I am sure that episodes 18 to 22 were written and never got to be filmed since NBC backed tracked and ended the show before the those episodes could filmed with only 17 episodes made and aired.
There was a video made back in the day of GST explaining that he had like 3 arcs within season 1, which included the dark Michael Knight / KARR connection. He also stated that he wanted season 1 to lead up to season 2, which would have been much different than season 1. Super Flash, I think that when NBC made the change from 22 to 17, the episodes that were written to expand upon the back story was condensed, thus we did see all that was planned. Maybe Sue or Matthew has some contact with the writers, and can get confirmation on that...
Super Flash wrote:(I) with that in mind I am surprised that those remaining episodes could not be filmed and released them as unaired episodes with the DVD release of the show. Certainly NBC and Universal could have made their money in the sale of the DVD. Heck, you have some movies being released on DVD instead of the theaters and I have a DVD I am not sure what show it is that promotes Law and Order and having one unaired episode for the DVD so why can't that happen to Knight Rider?
NBC Universal owns the TV rights, Glen A Lawson and (currently) the Weinstein Brothers hold the Big Screen rights, but who owns the direct-to-video rights, if at all? My guess is that if a direct to DVD was made, it would fall into the Big Screen rights, since that would most likely include the DVD rights once a Big Screen movie had completed its theatrical run.

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:45 pm

Glen A. Larson owns the motion picture rights and anything classified as theatrical in nature. This includes direct to dvd movies/spin-offs, or made for television "movies" with footage that is not shown on the air. Some companies have gotten around this issue by advertising "television events" which is usually several episodes woven together not part of the "series" itself that is still aired on tv and then released on dvd (BSG: Razor/The Plan). However even with these television "events" they are supposed to air first on tv before they are released on dvd. If they are released on dvd with alternative cuts (as most are) with footage that did not air on television, Larson still gets a cut of the royalties. It really comes down to specific terminology.

While NBCU owns the television rights, they cannot advertise their television series as having either a theatrical movie or a television "movie" or they have to pay up to release it. NBCU (at this time) cannot make a theatrical motion picture based on Glen's properties without his specific involvement or permission.

So in a nutsell, NBCU cannot make a motion picture based on Knight Rider or any other property that Glen still has the motion picture rights to. All they can do is keep trying to relaunch television series attempts. Even if they make made for tv movies like Knight Rider 08 was with the backdoor pilot, they still have to pay him and give him his proper creator/executive producer credits - they cannot legally go around him.

Glen has approved a deal with Universal (which is no secret now) to get a new Battlestar Galactica theatrical motion picture based on his "vision" to the big screen which is supposed to be directed by Bryan Singer. This is a feat Universal could not accomplish without him on board and as far as I know does not involve Ron Moore's vision of the property on television.

The BSG motion picture is based on Glen's original vision for Galactica and will be a reimagining of the original series but for simplicity sake essentially a "reboot".

...and yes Starbuck and Apollo are men waging war against the cylons.

=VK=
:dash: