NBC May Be Considering Reinstating Leno on ‘Tonight Show’

Archive for discussions from 2010. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

knightofthephoenix
Operative

NBC May Be Considering Reinstating Leno on ‘Tonight Show’

Post by knightofthephoenix » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:25 pm

NBC executives held discussions with both Jay Leno and Conan O’Brien Thursday about the future of the network’s late-night lineup. And while executives said that no final decision has been made, they did not deny that the network is considering moves that could include returning Mr. Leno to his old job as host of “The Tonight Show.”

NBC executives said a decision would definitely not be announced Thursday but did not deny a report posted by the website TMZ that NBC was considering making the switch and replacing Mr. O’Brien at “Tonight” with Mr. Leno.

TMZ reported that NBC would make the move soon to take advantage of the natural break in its schedule when it covers the Winter Olympics next month.

The late-night discussions at NBC are directly related to pressure that has been brought on NBC by its affiliated stations, which have seen ratings for their 11 p.m. local newscasts plummet this television season because of much-weakened lead-in audiences from the network in the 10 p.m. hour.

That hour has been filled by Mr. Leno’s new prime-time show. NBC has said for months that Mr. Leno’s ratings were not out of line with what they had promised to advertisers but they acknowledged that they had underestimated the negative impact on the affiliated stations.

Continued:
http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2 ... ight-show/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ltaz103
Volunteer

Re: NBC May Be Considering Reinstating Leno on ‘Tonight Show’

Post by ltaz103 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:02 pm

So it looks like NBC managed to mess up the one thing they figured they couldn't... Jay Leno... Now it seems that they are thinking of moving Jay back to 11:30. That would make Conan and the Tonight Show move to 12 and Jimmy to 1. Wasn't the whole point to putting Jay at 10 to save them 5 hours of scripted programming? Now what will they do with those 5 hours of programming? I know that they will have the Olympics and will use that time for that Im sure. I loved Knight Rider '08, like Trauma (which will probably get cancelled) and like Conan... NBC will probably screw up this Conan deal too. If he doesnt want to go to 12 then he can walk to another network... So, they announced that Conan would take over The Tonight Show 2 years before it happened so that they wouldnt have a "Letterman" incident again and now its happening again... I know this doesnt have a lot to do with Knight Rider but it just shows that NBC has nothing going for them except for Thursdays. Get it together already!!!

goldbug
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by goldbug » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:53 pm

The irony of all this is that if they got ratings like KR08 did now with most of their shows, they'd be ecstatic. TV ratings overall are down significantly. While I do think KR08 was mismanaged in many ways, I wonder if it drew the same ratings would it be considered a success now.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

krrdr2010
FLAG Recruit
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by krrdr2010 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:08 pm

SERVES THEM RIGHT!!! To Me, This is Sweet, Sweet JUSTICE for how they treated KR:2008!!! They should have kepe their beaks out of the Producer's Business, but they couldn't do that. NBC has done this before, you know!!! In 1969 they cancelled the Original STAR TREK, and we all what happened, don't we(4 Spinoff Series, 11 Movies, etc.?). In 1990, they cancelled BAYWATCH, and well...You get the Idea. Now, if SYFY had any sense, They would stop showing Ghost Hunters and that sort of Crud, and Air KR:2008, KR:TOS, TKR, etc. :good: :good:

ltaz103
Volunteer

Post by ltaz103 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:52 am

I do remember the Baywatch fiasco... The only show that I can think of that they actually scored with was Third Rock... That was originally on ABC and NBC took it and ran with it.
They also did a poor job with a very smart show that I loved... Studio 60 (on the Sunset Strip)

knightofthephoenix
Operative

Post by knightofthephoenix » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:06 pm

NBC just confirmed Leno off at 10PM....

http://www.thrfeed.com/2010/01/nbc-pres ... -blog.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A few articles have mentioned they've ordered 10+ dramas to begin filling the time this will free up on their schedule. Whether you prefer Leno to Conan or vice versa, it's quite the slap in the face to Conan O'Brien. What a mess.

David Whiteheart
Operative

NBC ending Leno's nightly prime-time show

Post by David Whiteheart » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:16 pm

It looks official. http://www.rr.com/entertainment/topic/a ... -time_show So what will NBC do with this time slot? Who knows, since KITT 08 was one of "worst shows of the decade," coming it at 27 out of 40. http://insidetv.aol.com/2009/12/11/feature-page-30-21/ One can only hope that KITT gets a second chance but I doubt it. They should have done the second half of the first season in the first half of the season, and maybe it would have survived.

knightofthephoenix
Operative

Post by knightofthephoenix » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:01 pm

I don't think KR08 is getting another chance. The show just wasn't as good as it could have been and it had a bunch of second chances. The irony is, at least in my opinion, most of those changes NBC made GST make resulted in a drastically improved show.

And that's really the sad part, they bring Knight Rider back, promote the heck out the movie, then the first bunch of terrible episodes, order a full season, then a second season. But viewership declined and even though NBC made them change the show (which resulted in much better episodes), by then it was too late.

I feel bad for Conan but I'm really enjoying these NBC execs look like idiots. Out old friend Angela Bromstad gamely held court at (NBC Universal Entertainment chief Jeff) Gaspin's side during today's news conference about the cancellation.

David Whiteheart
Operative

Post by David Whiteheart » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:54 am

knightofthephoenix wrote:I don't think KR08 is getting another chance. The show just wasn't as good as it could have been and it had a bunch of second chances. The irony is, at least in my opinion, most of those changes NBC made GST make resulted in a drastically improved show.

And that's really the sad part, they bring Knight Rider back, promote the heck out the movie, then the first bunch of terrible episodes, order a full season, then a second season. But viewership declined and even though NBC made them change the show (which resulted in much better episodes), by then it was too late.
Ditto! The show could have been a lot better. Even after seeing the movie and anticipating the new show I was kind of let down, because KITT and Mike never had the overhead of superior's over them in the old series unlike in the first half of the new show. This is what really let people down along with getting away from the original concept of the show. Especially for those of us who grew up on the old show like I did. I'd love to see them bring it back from where it left off, but I'm just glad it wasn't a cliff hanger like TKR was when it was cancelled thanks to management turnover then as well at NBC/Universal. No matter what they do with the 10pm slot I won't be watching it since the last time I watched NBC was when KITT was cancelled, and I doubt I'll go back to watching them. Granted the wife will probably drag me to watching the olympics when the winter games start though, but other than that no.

My other show 24 looks to be the last season this year. So I guess I'm down to 24, V and Flashforward as my usuals now...until the rumors that this season of 24 is the last or not.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:56 pm

I can't believe NBC thought this would work..... I said it back when it was announced that it would fail and fail hard and now here we are.... Oh and NBC totally screwed Conan over in the process. NBC can't be sold soon enough and I can't wait until Leno returns to the Tonight Show to a nice, tasty backlash in the form of severe ratings failure.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:51 am

PHOENIXZERO wrote:I can't believe NBC thought this would work..... I said it back when it was announced that it would fail and fail hard and now here we are.... Oh and NBC totally screwed Conan over in the process. NBC can't be sold soon enough and I can't wait until Leno returns to the Tonight Show to a nice, tasty backlash in the form of severe ratings failure.
Actually, PHOENIXZERO, NBC more or less already has been sold, sort of. GE recently negotiated that deal with Comcast who now owns 51 percent of NBC while GE owns 49 percent. It's funny, because as I work for GE, the E-mails I got about it were all positive and had nothing to say about this entire mess. It's one of the ways the company is trying to stop the internal bleeding of the ratings mess especially because of the complaining affiliates.

And to think, this is all mainly because of NBC's promise to Conan back in 2004 that he would get The Tonight Show in 2009. Probably the most textbook case of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it.'
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Super Flash
Rookie

Post by Super Flash » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:34 pm

:D Hello There Everyone,

I can see we have alot of interesting comments here and one you all keep missing and one I have stated over and over again and that is Knight Rider was in a terrible time slot. How could the show do well if it is up against Lost and American Idol? Also, what about the preemptions and NBC's lack of commitment to the show? I don't how that could be missed here? I am not sure if Knight Rider was renewed for a second season but, for a full season yes. Then, of course NBC cut the show to 17 Episodes. NBC could have a had a hit on their hands if they let be and backed the show more like Chuck and Heroes then they did. I wasn't let down and did feel though more references to the previous Knight Rider would have been nice. Have the characters like Bonnie, RCIII, and The Original Michael Knight stop. Heck it worked for Star Trek: The Next Generation when during it's run had reference made back to the original show from time to time. Had the character Doctor McCoy from the original series make a guest appearance in Next Generation's pilot episode. Spock and Scotty (Chief Engineer of The Star ship Enterprise) all made one or two episodes later on during the series run. The show did establish it's self as own show but, didn't forget its roots and back story. In fact in the first season of Star Trek:The Next Generation during the first season did an update to an original series episode. The Original Series Episode was The Naked Now and The Next Generation Episode was The Naked Time. Heck Deep Space Nine did an update to The Alternate Universe Story line first done on the Original Series.

My point is that if Knight Rider 2008 followed that then the show would still be on and if was on a different night. Establishing the show as it own update but, not forgetting its roots in updating past storyline and characters from time to time. As for the sale of NBC to Comcast I am not sure if that is official and confirmed by The FCC and so forth. As for Leno, I never liked nor cared for him. I am sure that Knight Rider will be back in some for and how can you say it will not? As for many chances, I am not sure what that is supposed to mean. There have been alot of shows giving many chances and they are back. Futurama and Family Guy are both shows that were cancelled and brought back so, why can't Knight Rider?

Well, that is it for now and take care,
Michael P. Nepa :kitt2:
Knight Rider Lives!!!

Stealthwalker
Operative

Post by Stealthwalker » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:46 am

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/article/tv-new ... no_o_brien

The link above confirms the subject of this post.
Stealthwalker aka "Tha Lone Crusader"

"We Meet Again". As quoted by Garthe Knight in "Goliath & Goliath Returns"

WIBoomer1
FLAG Recruit

Post by WIBoomer1 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:13 pm

Super Flash wrote:My point is that if Knight Rider 2008 followed that (more continuity from TOS) then the show would still be on and if was on a different night.
Super Flash, what night from the 2008 season would have been the optimal placement for the show? Here's a link to the Wikipedia entry for the listings of what the networks had on primetime that season:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008%E2%80 ... n_schedule" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For my money, I would have loved to have had Chuck, KR, and then Heroes on Monday...but you face the CBS comedies...and Dancing with the Stars...and Monday Night Football on ESPN...But at least NBC would have had all of thier Sci-Fi in one area.

Stealthwalker
Operative

Post by Stealthwalker » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:25 am

Monday definitely would have been a better night for KR08, now that I think about it because the primetime theme for NBC's line up would have been "Sci-Fi" and I think that the show might have gotten a full season, instead of being snipped a few episodes short.
Stealthwalker aka "Tha Lone Crusader"

"We Meet Again". As quoted by Garthe Knight in "Goliath & Goliath Returns"

juliec30
Rookie

Post by juliec30 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:36 am

KR would of been better off on a different day and working with different people. I loved the cast and I do agree not all the episode were the greatest. I say the first 4 maybe 5 of them were not good. It got better towards the middle and at the end. I just wish it came on again so Justin Bruening had that chance to play Michael Knight like David Hasselhoff did. At least we got the box set and got the original series.
Always keep Knight Rider in your heart and soul and it will live on forever.